Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience Dates TBA Soon

"Southern California (...Anaheim...) in early March"...

Thanks Steve. Would love to see this again. Hopefully more shows again on the East Coast. What a show it was in NYC!

Interview Excerpt courtesy of RX Magazine December 2010

Izzy Presley of RX magazine recently conducted an interview with drummer Jason Bonham about JASON BONHAM'S LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE which celebrates the life and music of Jason's father, the legendary LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

RX: How soon after the [LED] ZEPPELIN reunion fell apart did [JASON BONHAM'S LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE] start getting put together?

Jason Bonham:

About two years after, really. A year after we did the show in 2007 I was working with John Paul [Jones] in 2008 and it was most of 2009 I was just moping around the house feeling sorry for myself when that thing kind of fell apart. It wasn't something that I really thought about. There was talk of it by my manager and by Annerin [Productions, the heralded company behind "The Pink Floyd Experience" and "Rain, A Tribute to the Beatles"] themselves, but I was not convinced. It wasn't until the end of 2009 when I went to see the "Rain" show and that was a polite response to before I said no. After seeing the "Rain" show and seeing some of the ideas they had in there, I started to think I can do this slightly different and it just started to evolve. It wasn't until about half way through this year it became something that I was very, very into 110%. I had to make sure it was OK with the others and I spoke to Robert [Plant] about it at length and my mom had given me footage that she would never let out of the house. It really did start to become something that was just more than just a concert, it became more of a personal thing and so far with the five shows we've done I can't describe the feeling I get. I wouldn't imagine this in a million years.

RX:

How close were you to finding a different singer for ZEPPELIN after the reunion? There were rumors all over about you guys trying out Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH) and a few others.

Jason Bonham:

Joe Perry had mentioned it in one of his interviews about Steven come over and sang but as far as I know and definitely know this, it was really just jamming and it was never, ever going to be called LED ZEPPELIN if it had gone any further. It had been talked about by John Paul Jones and a few of us now but as I know and it's my own thought that it never would have been called LED ZEPPELIN. There was a little bit of a harsh response from fans saying, "You can't have LED ZEPPELIN with someone else singing." Well, it was never talked about. I will say this; I had a great time jamming with Jimmy

and John Paul and various different people and of course the greatest time of all was the two gigs

RX:

What was the turning point where you decided to get sober?

Jason Bonham:

In England, and for all of us in my family, we all have a different place on where or what we think an alcoholic is. If you still have your family and your house and your car, [you are] doing well, and don't look like a homeless guy while drinking out of a paper bag; if all of those things are not happening to you and [you've] still got everything, the belief is there is nothing wrong with you. You can falsify and pretend and create like I used to that my world was perfect and be calculated that much and that was the demon alcohol. I would be so calculated that I would get everything ready to be done by noon so I could drink; any piece of work, everything done and cleared up so I could have a drink. The hardest part for me to come to reality with, it was that I didn't drink every day. So to me it was like, "Am I really an alcoholic? I don't drink every day, I don't drink in the morning, and I don't have the shakes." I had talked to a few people who had tried to get in the rooms way before and heard the stories and thought, "I have nothing in common with that story. None of that is my life." I got off the ladder at a different place. They say that they called it "the yets." I didn't kill someone on my bike, I didn't kill someone with my car, I didn't kill anyone yet. That's what did it. I actually felt pretty lucky. The statistics aren't great, they are horrible, but I am OK with it. I think you have to be ready. I think you gotta want to think you want to do it. You can't think you have to do it and you have to want to do it

Read the entire interview from RX magazine

Edited by kenog

Get the 'Led' out before Bills-Dolphins game

By NFL.com Staff

Published: December 15th, 2010

Live music at the Land Shark Tailgate Stage on the AT&T Grand Plaza at Sun Life Stadium has become a much anticipated part of the Miami Dolphins' home-game experience. This Sunday, Jason Bonham's Led-Zeppelin Experience will become a major part of that tradition.

Bonham, son of late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, and his group will play a tribute special, abbreviated four-song performance prior to Sunday's Dolphins-Bills game. The exclusive pre-game tailgate concert will begin at Noon ET.

For you Zep-heads who can't get enough, check out the Led-Zeppelin Experience doing "Kashmir" above.

"We're looking forward to performing our tribute on the Land Shark Tailgate Stage at Sun Life Stadium," said Bonham. "This South Florida appearance is a culmination of our successful 2010 tour across the U.S and Canada and will give fans a glimpse of what the full show is all about, which has truly been a labor of love for me."

The home game entertainment at Sun Life Stadium is produced by Game Day Entertainment LLC, by executive producer David Saltz. Fans can visit MiamiDolphins.com or call 1-888-FINS-TIX (1-888-346-7849) to purchase tickets.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/12/15/67098/

www.billboard.com

Led Zeppelin Drummer's Son Plays to Similar Beat

110043-led_zeppelin_o2_617_409Halfin.jpg

Photo Credit: Ross Halfin/Exlusive by Getty Images

by Dean Goodman, Reuters | December 24, 2010 11:30 EST

There's no sugar-coating the death of John Bonham.The wild Led Zeppelin drummer choked on his own vomit after downing 40 shots of vodka in 1980, a demise that brought one of rock's biggest bands to a premature end.

His son, Jason, started following in his footsteps -- both as a rock drummer and as a drunken rabble-rouser. When he turned 32 years-old a dozen years ago, he felt it was only natural that he should die at the same age as his father.

"I would be the party animal, wanna smash things up or throw a TV out the window because Dad had done it," Bonham recounted in an interview with Reuters.

"Just past that 32 stage, I very much nearly drank myself to death ... I remember thinking it was kinda funny: This is my year."

But with the support of his patient wife of 20 years, Jan, Bonham got back on the straight and narrow. He toured with veteran rock band Foreigner, formed his own band, and went on the road in North America this fall in an authorized multimedia tribute labeled "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience."

The tour grossed $2.1 million after playing 38 cities and cracked the top 50 of trade publication Pollstar's annual top tours list. Bonham is expected to launch a second leg in the spring, although details have not been announced.

The "Experience" show saw Bonham lead a band whose faithful covers of such songs as "Whole Lotta Love" and "Dazed and Confused" were interspersed with his heartfelt recollections and old home movies. On tunes such as "Moby Dick," Bonham played along with concert footage of his father, replicating his monster drumming style.

Never shy of his heritage, Bonham played with his dad's old workmates both at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary concert in 1988, and at the band's one true reunion concert at London's 02 Arena in 2007.

The latter show, a memorial to late Atlantic co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, was one of the most coveted tickets of the decade. For a few hours, Bonham basked in the reflected glory of singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and keyboardist/bassist John Paul Jones.

As the plaudits rolled in, an adrenalized Bonham assumed the show would lead to a full-fledged reunion tour. But Plant later disabused his bandmates of that notion at their annual meeting. If they were disappointed, Bonham was despondent.

"It was hard to be in the biggest band in the world for that short time, and then not. I'd kinda given up other things, and now what am I gonna do?

"I was just miserable for a good year ... My kids -- the English sense of humor is very cruel -- they said, 'Dad that was yesterday, now you're back to being a nobody again.' Out of the mouths of babes."

He found his nine years' sobriety sorely tested. Surely he deserved a quick drink to get over his misery? But he stayed strong, and eventually got a call inviting him to join a new project with Page and Jones. They worked on new material and rehearsed with various singers, until Page pulled the plug.

Bereft again, Bonham put together his Led Zeppelin tribute at the behest of promoters who urged him to see the Beatles' tribute "Rain" in Las Vegas. The concept immediately clicked with Bonham, who was eager to tell his father-son story without dodging some inevitably heavy moments.

"People say, Aren't you sick of talking about him, doing this?' No ... I miss the guy on a daily basis," Bonham said. "I'm 44 years-old now, but I still feel that he's got older. I see Robert and I see Jimmy, and I'll try to imagine how dad would look now."

Looking at the son, it's disturbing to imagine the late rocker with a bald head. But Bonham said his father was blessed with his family's good hair gene.

"I'm hoping my son's got that one, because I said, 'Look after it. You won't have it for long.'"

http://www.billboard.com/news/led-zeppelin-drummer-s-son-plays-to-similar-1004137170.story#/news/led-zeppelin-drummer-s-son-plays-to-similar-1004137170.story

Edited by SteveAJones

Bonham brings Led Zeppelin to Dolphins game

By Ben Crandell

Sun-Sentinel

December 17, 2010

Jason Bonham is just like most of us when it comes to picking favorite Led Zeppelin songs. Where do you start?

But Bonham, son of legendary Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, has been forced to narrow his choices to a couple of dozen with The Led Zeppelin Experience, a tour that celebrates the band's catalogue.

And on Sunday, before the Dolphins' game against Buffalo, it gets worse: He's got 20 minutes onstage to capture the essence of perhaps the greatest rock band of all time.

"It's quite impossible, really," said Bonham from Los Angeles on Friday, after missing a flight home to Boca Raton. "I have to go with my gut feeling, ones I feel special about."

Bonham admits that he didn't get Led Zeppelin religion until it was, in his mind, too late.

"I always regretted that I never had the chance to tell Dad how great I thought he was," Bonham said of his father, who died in 1980, when Jason was 14.

Bonham has two children, daughter Jaz, 17, and son Jager, 14, who live in Boca Raton and attend school in Broward County. Jaz recently had her own Led Zeppelin epiphany.

"My daughter wasn't into that type of rock music and kind of played it off. But then these teenage boys started coming around, and Led Zeppelin, I don't know, it became reinvented," Bonham said. "Now she's very proud of her grandfather."

Bonham said the decision to settle his family in Boca Raton six years ago was based on childhood memories.

"When Led Zeppelin was on tour we would meet them on vacation in Florida," he said. "It was so drastically different from England. It just felt like the right place to be."

He described his kids as "very Floridian," with Jager an avid tennis player. Both kids have seen their share of Dolphins and Heat games. "They love the lifestyle. They'll never leave."

Bonham is a fan too, but on tour too much to attend many games. Sunday will be his second Fins game, after one in which he performed with Slash and then sat in the owners' box with Dwyane Wade and Serena Williams. "The only way to see a game," he said with a laugh.

OK, so what songs will Bonham and Led Zeppelin Experience play on Sunday? Drum roll, please… In no particular order: "Kashmir," "When the Levee Breaks," "Rock and Roll," "The Ocean" and "Whole Lotta Love."

Bonham is particularly fond of the version fans will hear of "When the Levee Breaks," which includes a passage in which Bonham will perform a duet with a looped recording of his father's drumming.

"It's a case of, 'If you can't beat 'em, get 'em to join you," Bonham said.

IF YOU GO

Jason Bonham will perform with The Led Zeppelin Experience at noon on Sunday on the Land Shark Tailgate Stage outside Sun Life Stadium, prior to the Miami Dolphins game against the Buffalo Bills. The free concert begins at noon. Game ticket info: miamidolphins.com, 888-346-7849.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/thingstodo/2010/12/bonham_brings_led_zeppelin_to_1.html

Edited by SteveAJones
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news for Sean, bad new for my dreams of playing on Jason's Ludwig kit:

We have a Winner - Sean M.

from Beautiful British Columbia

won the Bonham Drum Kit.

Thanks to all those who participated.

This kit was listed on Vancouver's Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. The guy who won it is a guitarist, not sure if it sold, the listing was gone after a day.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

It's cool that he had a chance to pay some respect, but this whole thing was pretty exploitative of Bonzo from most of the stuff I've seen of it.

Sorry Jason, but you ain't got the chops or the soul of your father

I thought the show was energetic, interjected with personal sentiments and just plain fun. You are right, he is not Bonzo, but the son of a great drummer.

Did you actually go to a show?

It's cool that he had a chance to pay some respect, but this whole thing was pretty exploitative of Bonzo from most of the stuff I've seen of it.

Sorry Jason, but you ain't got the chops or the soul of your father

It sounds like he is doing a great tribute to his Dad. I don't understand how that's exploitive. It was his Dad, after all. At the same time, Jason and band are playing some great music at the shows.

The show has received good reviews. I wish you would go back to SteveJones #746 entry on this thread. You may come away with a different take on what the show is about and how good it really is. ...........:) missy

• 4 weeks later...

New Date Just Announced

Sun, May 15, 2011

Doors: 6:30 pm / Show: 7:30 pm

The Palace Theatre

Greensburg, PA

$35-$45-$100

On Sale this Friday:

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/32263

The official JBLZE site does not reflect this event. Guitarist Tony Catania contacted venue himself to confirm and has since updated his wall (!) Stephen LeBlanc knew nothing about it and asked for the link. Michael Devin will be touring with Whitesnake in May, raising the question if a new lineup is being formed.

New Date Just Announced

Sun, May 15, 2011

Doors: 6:30 pm / Show: 7:30 pm

The Palace Theatre

Greensburg, PA

$35-$45-$100

On Sale this Friday:

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/32263

The official JBLZE site does not reflect this event. Guitarist Tony Catania contacted venue himself to confirm and has since updated his wall (!) Stephen LeBlanc knew nothing about it and asked for the link. Michael Devin will be touring with Whitesnake in May, raising the question if a new lineup is being formed.

Great News! It was such a great idea to do it as well as a fantastic production.

Hopefully it will be the same lineup as they were really tight.

I especially like Michael Devin. He really jams it up and has that 70's Look!

I will never forget him bouncing around to the booming bassline of Whole Lotta Love.

I was lucky enough to do the meet and greet in NYC and met him. Really Cool guy.

And Tony on guitar is just genius. He caresses that baby like the master himself!

May 15 can't come soon enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope JBLZE will come back to NY this year. I couldn't make it to the one last November & I would really love to see it!

Looks like U got your wish!!!! Well, NJ anyway.

They are doing the State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ May 5, 2011

FrontRowDave already scored front row tix!!!!

Couldn't get them for the PA show, at 1010 they only had 20th row.

Link to their site:

http://www.statetheatrenj.org/

54051642-01083356.jpg

Pop & Hiss

The L.A. Times music blog

Greek Theatre, Gibson Amphitheatre 2011 seasons announced

March 10, 2011 |

A near-Zeppelin live experience, a 45th anniversary reunion of 75% of the Monkees, the return of a post-"Raising Sand" Alison Krauss to her longtime band Union Station, hit country-pop duo Sugarland, Steely Dan and a wealth Latin pop, salsa and traditional music stars including Vicente Fernandez, Luis Miguel, Ruben Blades and Ramon Ayala highlight the 2011 seasons at the Greek Theatre and Gibson Amphitheatre, to be announced Friday.

Drummer Jason Bonham, son of Led Zeppelin's original percussionist John Bonham, brings his Led Zeppelin Experience production to the Greek on May 27 for the venerable amphitheater's 80th anniversary season, and Spanish signer Camilo Sesto kicks off the Premiere Marquee Club joint subscription season for the Gibson. Ticket packages for both venues go on sale Friday at PMCLA.com.

Bluegrass and country darling Krauss is back with Union Station to play the Greek on June 23, following her massively successful "Raising Sand" collaboration with ex-Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, whose new group, Band of Joy, has its own date set for the Greek in a previously announced April 23 show.

The Greek's season also serves up a couple of veteran rock and pop acts celebrating anniversaries this year. Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones and Peter Tork will sing "Hey, hey — we're the Monkees!" on July 16 as part of their reunion tour. Although guitarist, singer and songwriter Michael Nesmith joined with his former band mates on stage in 1986, 1996 and a 1997 U.K. tour, and in the studio for the 1996 album "Justus," their first since their late-'60s heyday, Nesmith is sitting this collaboration out.

British prog-rock group Jethro Tull marks the 40th anniversary of its "Aqualung" album in a June 11 stop at the Greek. Steely Dan will again offer up a couple of its studio albums in their entireties, along with a survey of material from across their career, with July 8 and 9 shows at the Greek.

The Gibson season is rich with Latin music, starting with Sesto and including Hombres G and Enanitos Verdes on June 10, Miguel (June 17), Polo Polo (June 18), Blades with Gilberto Santa Rosa (June 25), Los Tucanes de Tijuana (July 9), Ramon Ayala (Jluly 23), Pepe Aguilar (July 30), Alejandro Fernandez (Sept. 9) and Vicente Fernandez's regular multi-night stand Nov. 11-13.

The Gibson will also play host to some award show events, including the MTV Movie Awards 2011 (June 5) and the Teen Choice Awards (Aug. 7).

Some acts will be stepping foot on the Greek's stage for the first time, among them Swedish indie-pop star Lykke Li (Aug. 3), the Decemberists (Aug. 12) and Atmosphere (Aug. 26).

The full schedule for both facilities is available at PMCLA.com or (818) 622-9987.

-- Randy Lewis

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/03/greek-theatre-gibson-amphitheatre-2011-seasons-announced.html