"Gentle people" in TSRTS.

Wolfman

He mumbles on the 27th (the date the vocals are from), on the 28th he clearly says "gentle", and on the 29th he mumbles again and says it a couple of times - sounding more like "gentle" to me. Gentle and devil sound similar, so it's pretty much what you want to hear rather than what he actually says.

I've always sung it as "different"

I have with three possible solutions to what actually happened here:

#1: Robert hated San Francisco!

#2: He smoked way too much and plainly just slurred the word gentle.

#3: He forgot the lyrics and remembered his best friend's interest in the occult (not implying Jimmy was evil or something, but he was definitely interested), and said "Devil people."

As much as I think I know about Led Zeppelin and Their History (and I think and I know a lot), I do not and will not believe that Robert Plant ever hated the city of San Francisco.

It is widely known that all of the Members of LZ and Peter Grant said that SF in 1969 was a "make or break" situation for Led Zeppelin so early in Their Career. Peter basically said that if LZ did not make it in San Fran then They would probably have to pack it up and go back to England. As History as proven and most of US know, They "killed" it in Their brief residency at the SF Fillmore West.

To prove MY point, listen to this:

I would also like to mention the 1973 gig at Kezar Stadium as proof that none of the members of Led Zeppelin held the City by the Bay in any disregard or disdain.

Again, to prove MY point, listen to this:

And by the way, Robert Plant does say the words: "and You'll Meet a lot of Devil People There"...

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to plant's tone/inflection, singing....a lot of gentle/different people there....everywhere everywhere

Not only does it not sound like "devil" to me....but it doesn't make sense, imo.

I find it amusing and cool to think of kids in the 70s, seeing this movie and being captivated though, to hear this complete other side to zep, from their records and realizing that there is so much more to them, than they thought...and then the search for bootlegs begins.

I find it amusing and cool to think of kids in the 70s, seeing this movie and being captivated though, to hear this complete other side to zep, from their records and realizing that there is so much more to them, than they thought...and then the search for bootlegs begins.

That's almost exactly what happened to me. Once I heard No Quarter and Dazed from TSRTS I knew I wanted to hear more of this band in the live format. I didn't know about bootlegs at the time though. Then a kid in my neighborhood says "My buddy has 2 Zeppelin albums you dont have" I was like "I have them all" What dope! I go meet this kid and he shows me For Badge Holders Only p2 reissue on which no Quarter took up almost a whole vinyl and I started drooling!! The other boot he had was The Best Of Zeppelin you know the one wit that great picture of Jimmy with his Double neck in black and white from 77. He would not play them for me and I almost died. I became an addict for live Zeppelin and spent a ton of money at the first three record shows I went to.

Edited by juxtiphi

• 4 years later...

Ya know, when I was a wee lad I thought Robert said Devil People as well. However, I realized using the word Devil in the context of that song snippet made no sense whatsoever. I slowed down the record and when you do this Robert is clearly saying Gentle but as mentioned above, somewhat slurred.

Robert has never even mentioned, TMK, even a passing interest in the occult as his interests lay in Celtic history.

Then there is the fact regarding Satanism (um, they don't believe in a devil, they believe we simply cease to exist when we die). Though LaVey was very popular among the Hollywood actors and musicians at the time, no one was sacrificing virgins or even the odd chicken to old Scratch in LaVey's circle. LaVey was a former sideshow / freakshow performer, he would have sooner jammed a roofing nail through his scrotum then believe in an actual devil.

Just more of the old "...there is a bathroom on the right; I'm not talking about the linen" mis-heard lyrics.