Led Zeppelin Remaster Question

joe

Hello...

I am a Led Zeppelin newbie. I own nothing by the band and it looks like a good time to buy since there are remasters, bunus tracks, itunes, etc. The question is, where do I start and what to buy:

I'm thinking The Complete Recordings -- Maybe this is the way..I hear these are remastered and I think there are a few bonus tracks on Coda or soemthing. But I am just going to put them on my ipod. Maybe "The Complete Led Zeppelin" from itunes is the way to go."The Complete Led Zeppelin from itunes is remastered too. Hmmm.

I hear the box set from way back (4 discs) has some bonus tracks too.

Oh man, what is the best version to buy? Best sound? Best value (bonus tracks, etc.).

I'd love to hear from anyone out there.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Hello...

I am a Led Zeppelin newbie. I own nothing by the band and it looks like a good time to buy since there are remasters, bunus tracks, itunes, etc. The question is, where do I start and what to buy:

I'm thinking The Complete Recordings -- Maybe this is the way..I hear these are remastered and I think there are a few bonus tracks on Coda or soemthing. But I am just going to put them on my ipod. Maybe "The Complete Led Zeppelin" from itunes is the way to go."The Complete Led Zeppelin from itunes is remastered too. Hmmm.

Oh man, what is the best version to buy? Best sound? Best value (bonus tracks, etc.).

I'd love to hear from anyone out there.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Anywhere and everywhere :D

The best place to start believe it or not would be going back to the LP's (Records). If you have a record player you need to start there. CD's remastered or not cannot compare to the ambience that a record provides. People old enough to remenber them would be surprised to listen to one if they have not in some time. The difference in sound is measurable. Digital sound is 1's and 0's. Until the HDCD becomes the norm, LP sound is far better than any remastered cd. Not only that but during remastering some of the songs were "cut". Cd's may sound cleaner, but they are not better.

Here's a graph showing comparisons of the raw sound;

question487.gif

Go here for some more info on it;

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Hello...

I'm thinking The Complete Recordings -- Maybe this is the way..I hear these are remastered and I think there are a few bonus tracks on Coda or soemthing.

Joe

Yeah, buy the complete Led Zep on CD NOT, NOT on itunes, their bitrate is still low and you won't get the superb quality you get from a CD. Trust me. Even if you are only putting them on your ipod, with decent HP you will hear a difference, plus you may one day own a stereo and want to hear the CDs. Page did a superb job of remastering the albums and they must be heard in all their glory.

• 2 weeks later...
Anywhere and everywhere :D

The best place to start believe it or not would be going back to the LP's (Records). If you have a record player you need to start there. CD's remastered or not cannot compare to the ambience that a record provides. People old enough to remenber them would be surprised to listen to one if they have not in some time. The difference in sound is measurable. Digital sound is 1's and 0's. Until the HDCD becomes the norm, LP sound is far better than any remastered cd. Not only that but during remastering some of the songs were "cut". Cd's may sound cleaner, but they are not better.

Here's a graph showing comparisons of the raw sound;

question487.gif

Go here for some more info on it;

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

This is very true....the albums which were recorded analog have a much better flow to them. The cd's which are digital, are a lot crispier and clearer-though this didnt really make the music better....for a musician it did make understanding the music easier-but it also changed the way the music sounded completly from its origional creation.

On Cd's you can hear the mistakes on the albums as well.

Archived