I'm In A Rock 'n' Roll Band!

Mr E

Nominated for each category :

-Band: Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beatles, The Rolling stones, The Clash, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Joy Division, Nirvana, Radiohead,The Smiths

-Singer: Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Bono, Jarvis Cocker, Debbie Harry, Mick Jagger, John Lydon, Morrisey, Iggy Pop

-Guitarist: Jimmy Page, Jimi hendrix, Slash, Jeff Beck, Matt Bellamy, Eric Clapton, Graham Coxon, Johnny Marr, Pete Townshend, Jack White

-Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Ginger Baker, Phil Collins, Stewart Copeland, Mitch Mitchell, Ringo Star, Lars Ulrich, Charlie Watts

-Bassist: John Paul Jones, Flea, John Entwistle, Peter Hook, Alex James, Lemmy, Mani, Paul McCartney, Paul Simonon, Tina Weymouth

Reaching top 3:

-Band: Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beatles

-Singer: Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury ; Kurt Cobain

-Guitarist: Jimmy Page, Slash, Jimi Hendrix

-Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl

-Bassist: They didn't bother with a top three for bassists and just took the result directly from the initial internet vote: Flea was the overall winner.

Winning:

-Band: Led Zeppelin

-Singer: Freddie Mercury

-Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

-Drummer: John Bonham

-Bassist: Flea

Really surprised that Zeppelin won overall band, usually with these phone-in type shows the more mainstream bands like Queen and The Beatles win. Al Murray did make a wonderfully passionate case for them though. I agree Marc Ronson was rather useless in his speech for Jimmy Page, incredibly dull delivery and just banged on about how he was able to get laid whilst playing stairway. Good fun show though, Boot Led Zeppelin were great fun and I think their performance of Whole Lotta Love successfully managed to show up the blandness of Sgt Peppers that followed it.

Also rather nice to have an hour of Led Zep concert footage after the show. Never seen so much Zep exposure on TV!

Zep were filled with musicians. For me they're the most amazing band ever. But that doesn't change the fact that the Beatles had a more profound influence, not only on the 60s, but on the world. Lets face it, the Stones as muscians are better than the Beatles. But in Lenon and Macartney they have one of the best writing teams of all time. In every position Zep were better but despite this what the Beatles achieved musically is such an amazing legacy especially for a 'boy band' (which is what they really started out as). Just because Zep is my favourite band doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the achievements of the Beatles. I'm just surprised that Zep won. Most people I know have at least one Beatles album and like their stuff. Far fewer people I know have a Zep album (and it's always IV).

disagree,

the passage of time hasn't been kind at all on the beatles, i teach guitar to 80 children a week, in 9 different schools. 2 or three of them mention the beatles as a reason they picked up a musical instrument. the most popular by far are ac/dc (in terms of older bands), beatles music sounds dated, (just listen to ringo's cymbals pre 1965), in terms of people owning zep and beatles stuff, id say album for album, zep sold just as many albums if not more than the beatles. zep made rock and roll magical again, the beatles were good, don't get me wrong, i loved them when i was a boy, but i cant listen to their records anymore.

I was delighted to see Led Zeppelin win the nation's all time favorite band, i jumped up when it was announced....well deserved in my opinion..... nice to see the BBC finally giving the best band ever some recognition.

Nominated for each category :

-Band: Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beatles, The Rolling stones, The Clash, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Joy Division, Nirvana, Radiohead,The Smiths

-Singer: Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Bono, Jarvis Cocker, Debbie Harry, Mick Jagger, John Lydon, Morrisey, Iggy Pop

-Guitarist: Jimmy Page, Jimi hendrix, Slash, Jeff Beck, Matt Bellamy, Eric Clapton, Graham Coxon, Johnny Marr, Pete Townshend, Jack White

-Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Ginger Baker, Phil Collins, Stewart Copeland, Mitch Mitchell, Ringo Star, Lars Ulrich, Charlie Watts

-Bassist: John Paul Jones, Flea, John Entwistle, Peter Hook, Alex James, Lemmy, Mani, Paul McCartney, Paul Simonon, Tina Weymouth

Reaching top 3:

-Band: Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beatles

-Singer: Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury ; Kurt Cobain

-Guitarist: Jimmy Page, Slash, Jimi Hendrix

-Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl

-Bassist: They didn't bother with a top three for bassists and just took the result directly from the initial internet vote: Flea was the overall winner.

Winning:

-Band: Led Zeppelin

-Singer: Freddie Mercury

-Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

-Drummer: John Bonham

-Bassist: Flea

Really surprised that Zeppelin won overall band, usually with these phone-in type shows the more mainstream bands like Queen and The Beatles win. Al Murray did make a wonderfully passionate case for them though. I agree Marc Ronson was rather useless in his speech for Jimmy Page, incredibly dull delivery and just banged on about how he was able to get laid whilst playing stairway. Good fun show though, Boot Led Zeppelin were great fun and I think their performance of Whole Lotta Love successfully managed to show up the blandness of Sgt Peppers that followed it.

Also rather nice to have an hour of Led Zep concert footage after the show. Never seen so much Zep exposure on TV!

The 02 show gave them more exposure world wide than this did.

Thought it was great apart from 4 things;

1-the led zep tribute band were good apart fromt he fact the drummer didnt seem very enthusiastic (although he might have just been nervous).

2-mark ronson was bit of a tit.

3-however much i love kurt cobain and nirvana, why on earth was he in best singer!? he's got a great style but i dont think he's in any kind of league compared to plane and mercury.

4-johnathon ross didnt even know what band tony iommi was from!

rant over :D

The 02 show gave them more exposure world wide than this did.

Well...yes that was a one off exceptional event. I'm just saying in general one rarely sees much Zeppelin footage/discussion broadcast on mainstream television. Last night we had a two hour live programme with people discussing each member of the band then followed by a whole hour of Zeppelin concert footage.

Flea won favorite bassist? Flea?! Over Entwistle and McCartney, let alone Jones? WTF...

That's the internet for you Steve, seems everyone in the studio were surprised at that choice. :o I don't think it would have been him if they had included it on the actual show.

What live footage did they show? I missed the show last night (out at the pub).

i only saw the beggining but i think they showed the RAH (although they may have shown a mixture).

I completely disagree with all the comments that people are making that the Beatles should have won it. It was a show about 'rock' music, and the Beatles, with the exception of Helter Skelter and Revolution, did not produce what I would consider to be rock music. Zeppelin are, and always will be the ultimate rock band! The Beatles, as much I love and admire their music, shouldn't have even been in the top 3, it should have been The Who.

I can't believe some of the comments those panel members were making, especially the blonde woman who didn't seem to know what she was talking about. I don't think Zeppelin were that influneced by the Beatles at all. Then one of them said Zep had a couple of good tracks on most of their albums the rest were just 'fillers' - I nearly jumped out of my chair with rage when he said that!! :angry: The Stones are guilty of this, not Zeppelin. All of their albums, in my opinion, are solid bodies of work.

Also I think Page's talent was not discussed in enough detail. The guy defending him was moronic! I hope Jimmy wasn't watching! :unsure:

I loved Jonathan Ross's face when the winner was announced. I think he thought it would be Queen. I'm so thrilled Zeppelin won! I'm going to watch it all again on the BBC I Player tommorrow. :D

I completely disagree with all the comments that people are making that the Beatles should have won it. It was a show about 'rock' music, and the Beatles, with the exception of Helter Skelter and Revolution, did not produce what I would consider to be rock music. Zeppelin are, and always will be the ultimate rock band! The Beatles, as much I love and admire their music, shouldn't have even been in the top 3, it should have been The Who.

Hi Magic,

I completely agree with what you said. Top 3 should have been Zep, The Who and The Stones.

The Beatles didn't even tour for most of the second half of their existance. Hardly the epitome of rock and roll.

I can't believe some of the comments those panel members were making, especially the blonde woman who didn't seem to know what she was talking about.

Lauren Laverne of some tinpot little girl band who since went on to get herself on t.v and the radio.

She seemed to argue just about everything against Zep. It became annoying especially as her points had little substance. She and Jonathon Ross were clueless.

I don't think Zeppelin were that influneced by the Beatles at all.

Not musically although obviously the Beatles were an inspiration to all British recording artists who came later, as Planty said.

Then one of them said Zep had a couple of good tracks on most of their albums the rest were just 'fillers' - I nearly jumped out of my chair with rage when he said that!!

Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet. He said Zep had about 8 good songs and the rest were fillers. :o

The Stones are guilty of this, not Zeppelin. All of their albums, in my opinion, are solid bodies of work.

The band he was advocating(Queen) are guilty of that. Queen are not reknowned for solid album after solid album.

I loved Jonathan Ross's face when the winner was announced. I think he thought it would be Queen.

Jonathon Ross is an old punk/Bowie fan. He probably thinks Roxie Music ruled the '70s. He didn't even know who Tony Iommi was. Enough said. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking of this the other day; in fairness to those wo thought the beatles should have won, the beatles were rock and roll in the early 60's, so was elvis and load of other people. It's like deep purple might have been considered the heaviest kind of music you could get back then, now there's all these *ahem* crappy *ahem* heavy metal bands......times change....

Jonathon Ross is an old punk/Bowie fan. He probably thinks Roxie Music ruled the '70s. He didn't even know who Tony Iommi was. Enough said. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, Zeppelin have more in common with Roxy Music than they ever did with Tony Iommi. Being a punk/Bowie/Roxy fan doesn't preclude you from being a Zeppelin fan, so how this is "Enough said", I don't quite get.

Johnathan Ross just isn't a major Zeppelin fan - it does happen, even among real music fans, as much as I find it hard to understand.

Congrats to Zeppelin and their fans. I'm really surprised they won. In most polls I've seen among the general population, the Beatles win easily. Here is a link to exactly such a poll pitting Zep and the Beatles head-to-head. As you can see (Match 98), it's not even close.

http://beneaththebridge.blogspot.com

(BTW, anyone is welcome to vote in this poll, so if you hear the piper calling you to enlighten the masses, go for it..)

In my opinion, Zeppelin have more in common with Roxy Music than they ever did with Tony Iommi.

In my opinion Zep don't have much in common with either.

The point was Ross didn't even know what band Tony Iommi was in. For somebody like him who was of the right age I find that it says it all, and I'm not even a Black Sabbath fan.

[being a punk/Bowie/Roxy fan doesn't preclude you from being a Zeppelin fan, so how this is "Enough said", I don't quite get.

Many many punk fans of the late 1970s had it in for Zep and the biggest critics of Zep when they got back together for their reunion were mostly the boring old fart ex punk fans. You should have heard John Gaunt laying into Zep on Talksport a couple years back at the time. Wasn't surprising to hear he was an ex punk rocker of the same age as Ross. From my experience the real big Zep haters that I've come across are usually those who were into punk and were around 16 or 17 in 1977. Ex punks who are now around 50 years of age. Too young to have been aware of Zep at their peak but young enough to have been aware of Zep being around at the same time as punk in England.

I'm surprised you don't get that.

Johnathan Ross just isn't a major Zeppelin fan - it does happen, even among real music fans, as much as I find it hard to understand.

Jonathon Ross doesn't appear to know much about rock music in general. Besides that he's an annoying pain in the arse and likes the sound of his own voice far too much for my liking.

Congrats to Zeppelin and their fans. I'm really surprised they won.

Thanks, but they deserved it. They were the better 'rock and roll' band. If the series was about 'pop' then Zep wouldn't even have been in the running and it would have been the Beatles all the way.

In most polls I've seen among the general population, the Beatles win easily. Here is a link to exactly such a poll pitting Zep and the Beatles head-to-head. As you can see (Match 98), it's not even close.

http://beneaththebridge.blogspot.com

Hmmmmm I wouldn't say it was not even close. Almost 40% compared to just over 60%. That's just a 20% diference (or 1 in 5). :)

Top 3 should have been Zep, The Who and The Stones.

:yesnod: My 3 favourite bands. The Holy Trinity of rock music - no one else really comes close in my opinion. Quite silly that a show with 'Rock n Roll' in the title didn't have The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band of All Time in the final 3. But hey, it was just a bit of fun I suppose and Zeppelin won! :hurrah:

Thanks, but they deserved it. They were the better 'rock and roll' band. If the series was about 'pop' then Zep wouldn't even have been in the running and it would have been the Beatles all the way.

Hmmmmm I wouldn't say it was not even close. Almost 40% compared to just over 60%. That's just a 20% diference (or 1 in 5). :)

At the time of this post only 3 votes separates the two. One would think that an open invitation on a Led Zeppelin forum would easily lead to a Zeppelin landslide. So now I have to come clean. I'm really a Zeppelin fan dressed in Sgt. Peppers attire. Could four more forum members please go to the link below and vote Zeppelin! Hurry! The poll will close within an hour of this post!!

http://beneaththebridge.blogspot.com (scroll to Match 98)

At the time of this post only 3 votes separates the two. One would think that an open invitation on a Led Zeppelin forum would easily lead to a Zeppelin landslide. So now I have to come clean. I'm really a Zeppelin fan dressed in Sgt. Peppers attire. Could four more forum members please go to the link below and vote Zeppelin! Hurry! The poll will close within an hour of this post!!

http://beneaththebridge.blogspot.com (scroll to Match 98)

Well, no offense intended, who really cares about an independent poll created on a free weblog...? There could be millions...

Archived