Greatest Hits

Hi :)

Last night, I was watching the Led Zeppelin DVD, and during Trampled Underfoot, my mom came in and told me it was a huuuuuge hit when it came out (and she never even listened to LZ). Since I was born nearly ten years after they disbanded, I really have no idea which songs were the biggest hits...I was wondering if anyone here, who was around at the time, maybe, could tell me? I know a couple albums with them came out, but I would have imagined Kashmir was more well-known than, for example, Good Times Bad Times :huh:

Thanks!

Hi Jimmypageification.....you will probably get various answers to that question here because the songs were subject to what was someones personal favorite.

That being said, I would say the Stairway to Heaven was LZ all time most popular back when it came out and because of that it was overplayed by the radio stations back in the day turning some off to it for awhile before rediscovering what a great song it is.

Other of my favorites which were popular in their time was Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant Song, Hey Hey What Can I do and Misty Mountain Hop. They are still much loved songs by me, but some more of my new favorites are In The Evening and The Rover. They have such a wide varity of songs though that my favorites change from time to time, depending on my mood.

Good question, but, like stated already it's hard to say for sure, as far as Led Zeppelin's most popular song's (radio) I can't (personally) say a lot about the one's before the mid 1970's as I was only 10 in 1973. I don't remember clearly enough the few years before that time when they where starting out. I was then still listing mostly to my mother goose records and watching a snow covered TV screen of the two or three station's we could pick-up from my home.

I'd say that "Stairway to Heaven" (1971) was there biggest hit (popular), they didn't do well on the POP chart's here in the State's, they did go to high sale's charts on the Billboard Top 200 (US) with several of there albums. They sold-out there show's and did good at the record store's but the POP world didn't give them a bunch of attention. The movie "The Song Remains The Same" (1973) was good for them, I think it was a bigger box office draw in the later 1970's and early 1980's.

"Kashmir", "Trampled Under Foot" made Physical Graffiti a good seller, I think "Rock and Roll" & "Whole Lot'a Love" was a bigger hit for them. I remember hearing "Kashmir" (radio edited) a lot on the radio then but I feel that "Stairway To Heaven" (also edited) was on more, I also remember hearing "Rock and Roll" and the "Immigrant Song" a bunch too. A lot of the other member's of the group are older than me and will have a better recollection of them on the radio that I But, "All of My Love" was a big one in my early high school day's.

I'm a few years older than BonzoLikeDrummer and I listened alot to FM radio in the 70's. which played all songs from albums, not just singles. I wasn't a huge Zep fan but I liked them and I remember the following very well so these songs got a lot of airplay:

Communication Breakdown

Good Times Bad Times

Heartbreaker

WLL

Ramblin' On

Immigrant Song

Gallows Pole

Every song from LZ IV except "Battle of Evermore"

Every song from HOTH except "No Quarter" and "The Crunge"

Every song from PG first two sides, also

Ten Years Gone

Night Flight

In the Evening

All of My Love

Southbound Suarez

I have no recollection of ever hearing any song from "Presence" but maybe we were too busy screaming "Disco Sucks" and listening to punk instead.

I hear ya Janet! I don't remember hearing much on FM radio but Country, Soul, and of coarse the Classical stuff. I grew up in North Carolina, Country music was, and for the most part still is the big draw with-in popular music. There was an underground type source of all-thing's-rock in the late 1970's that I remember just before I started high school. There was one local FM station that was playing the new rock sound's of REM, Greg Kihn Band, Sweet and some of the other new sounding band's of the late 70's college scene.

They where also playing some of the more abstract stuff that wasn't being played on the AM dial, some of Joe Walsh's song's I remember hearing for the first time and I think some Led Zeppelin, and other oddities too. That's been a while ago and I was still pouring out fresh teen-aged hormone's for girls at that time so it's hard to say about the rest. :D

These are the songs my dad can remember hearing a lot on the radio. He is 51 so while he was alive for the mighty Zep, his mind might be a little worn out. He was also just leaving, so he didn't really have time to think this over. I'll add more later.

Dazed and Confused

Stairway To Heaven

Houses of the Holy

I hear ya Janet! I don't remember hearing much on FM radio but Country, Soul, and of coarse the Classical stuff. I grew up in North Carolina, Country music was, and for the most part still is the big draw with-in popular music. There was an underground type source of all-thing's-rock in the late 1970's that I remember just before I started high school. There was one local FM station that was playing the new rock sound's of REM, Greg Kihn Band, Sweet and some of the other new sounding band's of the late 70's college scene.

They where also playing some of the more abstract stuff that wasn't being played on the AM dial, some of Joe Walsh's song's I remember hearing for the first time and I think some Led Zeppelin, and other oddities too. That's been a while ago and I was still pouring out fresh teen-aged hormone's for girls at that time so it's hard to say about the rest. :D

Hi!

I'm glad I didn't grow up in North Carolina! I'm sure it's a beautiful place but country music is not for me. I remember lots of Roxy Music, Genesis and Talking Heads from the late 70's. A lot of that stuff seems really dated now.

I made a mistake in my post above - I never heard "Rain Song" on the radio.

• 2 months later...

I don't listen to the radio a ton, but I've heard all these songs before:

Good Times Bad Times

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Dazed and Confused

Whole Lotta Love

Immigrant Song

Black Dog

Rock and Roll

Stairway to Heaven

Over the Hills and Far Away

Dancing Days