Peter Gabriel at Radio City Music Hall on 5/3/10.

Wolfman

Last night, I saw Peter Gabriel at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. This was Peter’s New Blood Tour were he played with a large orchestra without guitars, bass, etc. He did two sets. The first set was all the covers he did on his newest album, and the second was his own material. I’ll be honest and say this was a mixed bag for me. Not that it was bad at all but it was a little to mellow for my tastes. I much would have preferred to see him rocking out. The crowd seemed to love it though so who am I to judge the show? I did enjoy several songs but overall I was kind of bored at times. Lou Reed showed up at the beginning of the second set and played “Solsbury Hill” on his very loud electric guitar. His voice sounded good but he looked terrible and his version of SH was more like “Heroin” than anything else. There were rumors that the Edge was there too but he never made it on stage. One awesome part of the show were the visuals. Just some incredible and original stuff in the “Sledgehammer” mode. Lots of animation and extreme close-ups. For the encore, Peter drew the word “More?” on a small chalkboard off-stage and waited for the crowd’s reaction. Pretty cool. He really got into it at the end to the point he was skipping around the stage. One thing about PG, he can freaking sing. He can hit some long and high notes ala a modern-day Robert Plant (not the 70’s version though). Overall, it was probably a better show than I thought. After seeing the rocking show with Elton John Friday night, it was going to be hard for anyone to live up to that. I really hope Peter comes around again with his regular band. I need to hear “Shock The Monkey” at least once live. Here’s the setlist:

1. Heroes (David Bowie cover)

2. The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon cover)

3. Mirrorball (Elbow cover)

4. Flume (Bon Iver cover)

5. Listening Wind (Talking Heads cover)

6. The Power of the Heart (Lou Reed cover)

7. My Body Is a Cage (Arcade Fire cover)

8. The Book of Love (The Magnetic Fields cover)

9. I Think It's Going to Rain Today (Randy Newman cover)

10. Après moi (Regina Spektor cover)

11. Philadelphia (Neil Young cover)

12. Street Spirit (Fade Out) (Radiohead cover)

Second Set

13. Solsbury Hill (Lou Reed)

14. San Jacinto

15. Digging In The Dirt

16. Downside Up

17. Signal To Noise

18. Wallflower

19. Blood of Eden

20. The Rhythm of the Heat

21. Red Rain

22. Darkness

23. Solsbury Hill

Encore:

22. In Your Eyes

23. Don't Give Up

24. The Nest That Sailed the Sky

You can check out some videos from last night on www.petergabriel.com

Do you EVER miss a show, Wolfman???

I saw PG back on his Us show and it was amazing. I wasn't really a fan, until that evening.

Glad you had a good time and keep letting us in on all the great shows you are able to catch up there! :thumbsup:

Do you EVER miss a show, Wolfman???

I saw PG back on his Us show and it was amazing. I wasn't really a fan, until that evening.

Glad you had a good time and keep letting us in on all the great shows you are able to catch up there! :thumbsup:

Thanks bro.

Might have been impromptu, but I would think that the Lou Reed Classic "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" would have been fantastic backed up by PG & Co. - plus an Orchestra. Throw in a visual presentation and you have the makings of a showstopper :<)

That's what I was hoping he'd played.

Archived