World Cup 2010

silvermedalist

I am not a huge soccer fan but am a big fan of the World Cup that come around every four years like the Olympics. Anyone have a strong feeling as to what teams will be the best? Lest see some picks for the entire tourney? Like the first 32 teams and which will survive. If I am right I think two teams advance from each group? Is that right? I see the US and England are in the same group. So knowing that my home country probably has little shot, I will cheer for England if the US loses. I expect them both to at least survive the first round? Well, lets see if there is any feedback on this. I did a search but found no thread already created on this.

Spain or Italy to win it outright. England to make it to the semis's and go out on penalties(again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

At least one team will be a surprise package and I think it might be Ivory Coast.Hope you enjoy it mate and the US should qualify for the second round at least.

This might help stay on track of events:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html

Same here as Starbreaker. Even though we now have TFC, I haven't quite caught the bug. Like many people, I'm aware of some of the Group A teams of various nations, but only really watch the important games (I can just hear the diehards: all matches are important!)

The World Cup is quite special, though. It's great to see everyone so excited, and to get swept up in all of that. The only thing I hate is the diving and rolling around like a guy's been shot. If they gave out awards for most rampant diving, I wonder which team would be 'most deserving'.

Spain or Italy to win it outright. England to make it to the semis's and go out on penalties(again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

At least one team will be a surprise package and I think it might be Ivory Coast.Hope you enjoy it mate and the US should qualify for the second round at least.

Our team have been taking diving lessons from the Italians so hopefully we'll have a better result this time around. rolleyes.gif

Can't get the link to work, so :-

"Footballer's yellow-card dive was fatal heart attack"

A Croatian football player who was yellow-carded for diving, had actually died of a heart attack.

Goran Tunjic, a 32-year-old defender playing for the Mladost FC, a fifth-tier team in Croatia, collapsed in the 35th minute of a game against Hrvatski Sokola, website Eurosport reported.

His collapse saw him yellow-carded by the match's referee who thought he had taken a dive.

However, Tunjic had instead suffered a fatal heart attack.

Realising what had happened, the referee called for medical aid, but Tunjic died despite being rushed to a nearby hospital.

"Doctors tried to help him but there was nothing they could do," a club spokesman said, according to Eurosort.

The player had no previous medical conditions.

"He just fell dead on the spot."

I haven't got a clue who will win it but there are many teams who have a realistic chance . I'm just hoping we get to see the game played as it should be played and look forward to seeing a few new faces introduce themselves on the world stage. No doubt, there will be !

Can't get the link to work, so :-

"Footballer's yellow-card dive was fatal heart attack"

A Croatian football player who was yellow-carded for diving, had actually died of a heart attack.

Goran Tunjic, a 32-year-old defender playing for the Mladost FC, a fifth-tier team in Croatia, collapsed in the 35th minute of a game against Hrvatski Sokola, website Eurosport reported.

His collapse saw him yellow-carded by the match's referee who thought he had taken a dive.

However, Tunjic had instead suffered a fatal heart attack.

Realising what had happened, the referee called for medical aid, but Tunjic died despite being rushed to a nearby hospital.

"Doctors tried to help him but there was nothing they could do," a club spokesman said, according to Eurosort.

The player had no previous medical conditions.

"He just fell dead on the spot."

:o That's terrible! Poor guy...

Ok, so there's a little over a month left before it begins, so I thought I'd post some videos in the meantime - the great and not so great, the famous and infamous:

First the bloopers (I don't agree with the title, they're not stupid just very unusual):

and the winner-worst own goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRlqmD4p9sQ

And now for some great goals. There are many top World Cup goals compilations, but this one happens to mercifully spare us some very bad music:

And last but not least, a tribute to my all-time favourite, Zizou:

So who's everyone rooting for? I'll probably still cheer for France (very long shot to take it) even though Zidane's done. When/if France is eliminated, I'll be cheering for whichever team knocks out Materazzi's :P:D

England in the final this time loosing on penalties, then I wake up and we have actually won a penalty shoot out beating whoever it may be......There only so many heartache penalty shoot outs that I can stand, we have had many heartbreaks with them, lets hope if that happens we get the rub of the green.

The only thing I hate is the diving and rolling around like a guy's been shot. If they gave out awards for most rampant diving, I wonder which team would be 'most deserving'.

Italy.....

:lol:

Archived