Robert Plant 2010 Tour

Concert Review: Robert Plant

Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center

Eugene McDermott Concert Hall

Dallas, TX USA

Friday, July 23, 2010

by Steve A. Jones

It was the culmination of a 6,000+ mile journey, the realization of a lifelong dream when I saw Robert Plant perform in Dallas on Friday night. Of course I've seen him perform many times around the world but the overt lyrical references to Texas in the Led Zeppelin song 'Hot Dog' and

his legendary performances here in 1969 and 1983 have fueled my imagination for years.

Approximately 95% of the tickets were sold and consequently Robert Plant and band received a rapturous welcome as they took to the stage and went straight into 'Down to The Sea'. This was followed by two new songs from the upcoming album, 'Angel Dance' and 'House Of Cards', then Page/Plant's plaintive 'Please Read The Letter', to which Robert explained "That's an old chestnut". He further addressed the "good people of Dallas" and remarked this was their "first world tour" to wild applause. (Sure enough, dates for Europe would be announced less than twenty-four hours later).

Buddy Miller's guitar solo during 'Misty Mountain Hop' was sublime, and Robert showed his impeccable harmonica skills on the next track, Lows 'Monkey'. The Plant/Krauss hit 'Rich Woman' showcased Plant/Griffin's synergy, the spellbinding 'Twelve Gates To The City' and then a genuinely transcendent moment came during the 'Oh What A Beautiful City'/'Wader In The Water' medley when they segued into 'In My Time Of Dying'. Robert remarked "this is an amazing place" then, gazing at the illuminated circular ceiling, quipped "it looks like the mothership up there" to much laughter. Interestingly, the ceiling lights were extinguished soonafter for the remainder of the concert.

'All The Kings Horses' was delicately delivered and beautifully sung. Darrell Scott sang lead vocals on 'Satisfied Mind' and his words resonated with the audience, who embraced him with a rousing standing ovation.

Two more new songs, and then the mesmerizing 'Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down'. 'Central Two O Nine' featured Plant on washboard! A revamped 'Houses Of The Holy' and 'Over The Hills And Far Away' were followed by a quasi-rockabilly twist on 'Tall Cool One', then 'Harm's Swift Way' and 'Gallows Pole'. They all took bows together (Robert collected a boquet of roses) and slipped into the shadows of stage right.

Five minutes of boisterous and sustained applause brought them all back for an encore. They performed 'Thank You' and 'Rock And Roll' before the humorous if not heartfelt song 'We Bid You Goodnight'. No bows this time, just casual sauntering offstage into the night, as if they were just some wonderful amorphous mass meant only to materialize briefly before vanishing. Even the house lights came up literally seconds after their departure and upon reflection it all seemed appropriate, though not quite at the time.

The Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, nestled in the heart of the Dallas arts district, is truly a magnificent venue. I'd like to thank the staff for their hospitality. Ya'll made me feel right at home and my memories of last night are sure to be a continued source of joy in the future.

Concert review: Robert Plant and Band of Joy bring American pop, Led Zeppelin covers to Meyerson Symphony Center

01:10 PM CDT on Saturday, July 24, 2010

By MIKE DANIEL / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

It was tough to find anything but joy at the Meyerson on Friday night.

But it could be done, as Robert Plant and his latest squad of crack players, the Band of Joy, juiced up the symphony hall with tart, swollen, Americana-flavored chewables in front of a near-capacity collective of appreciative, if occasionally flabbergasted, patrons.

Such is the nature of great art, however it's presented. A Van Gogh's going to look nearly as awesome in a whitewashed London art gallery as it will in a Tennessee honky-tonk – though the regulars at the latter won't initially appreciate such expression as much.

The Led Zeppelin frontman's wholesale adoption of the United States' indigenous pop music is old news, delivered en masse by his Grammy-winning Raising Sand partnership with Alison Krauss and T Bone Burnett. This new project of tasty, filling American covers is a logical progression for the 61-year-old, and as the Band of Joy gains its live legs before its eponymous recording's released in mid-September, it's plain that Plant's enjoying the ride – even as the act morphs Zep classics like "Houses of the Holy" into meandering, roadhouse-ready shuffles fit for a two-step.

On Friday, he commanded the Meyerson like the mothership of yore, with piquant, soaring, on-point vocals and sufficient deference for his formidable crew to both support and spell him. Guitarist Buddy Miller's cavernous twang possessed immeasurable touch, particularly during the traditional "Twelve Gates to the City" and on a psychotic lead turn during Low's "Monkey," while Darrell Scott's soulful support on everything from dreadnaught to pedal steel and banjo made this cast of re-arrangers truly mighty.

This show, and this initial tour, is more a warm-up revue for Plant than a Band of Joy promotional vehicle, and what many came here to hear – the six Zeppelin covers – turned their ears. The most preserved: "Over the Hills and Far Away," though the verse riff's stop-start descent was abandoned. The most twisted but satisfying: "Thank You," part of a masterful encore that also included "Rock and Roll" and Townes Van Zandt's "Harm's Swift Way."

The latter's a Band of Joy cut; the Zep songs aren't. "Some things have to change," Plant said smugly after "Houses of the Holy." In his mind, change is joyful because it's artful. In the crowd's mind, change for the sake of art's a little more dubious.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/072510dngdrobertplant.1f5db5c.html

Review: Robert Plant brings sheer Joy to Dallas

Preston Jones

Saturday, Jul. 24, 2010

DALLAS -- Robert Plant's ongoing sojourn down America's back roads has done him a world of good.

For one thing, it's allowed the rock 'n' roll lothario to reinvent himself as a sharp-eared curator, with a little help from his friends, of the vast American roots repertoire. By casting aside expectations for a Led Zeppelin reunion -- arguably, the most anticipated and therefore lucrative opportunity in modern music -- Plant has paved the way for himself to grow as an artist, rather than stagnate as a jukebox sellout.

There were a few in attendance at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center Friday night who probably would've wholeheartedly embraced two hours of the classics, with or without his Zeppelin band mates (those would be the folks sporting the vintage Led Zep tour T-shirts). But there were likely just as many audience members who became enamored of Plant via 2007's Raising Sand, his Grammy-winning detour into the worlds of folk and country music overseen by Fort Worth-bred producer T Bone Burnett.

Inevitably, comparisons will be made between then and now. Plant's latest foray into the great American songbook features a different cast of characters and a new name: Band of Joy. It's a moniker plucked from the mists of Plant's youth; Band of Joy was Plant's first attempt at a band, which included John Bonham, lasted three years and was eventually abandoned for what would become Led Zeppelin. Plant has resurrected the name, recruited some heavy hitters (Patty Griffin, Buddy Miller, Darrell Scott) and recorded an album due out in September.

The group's current tour -- Band of Joy also features Byron House on bass and Marco Giovino on percussion -- is an effort to build upon what Plant started with Burnett and Alison Krauss. Yet, for as revelatory as the Raising Sand material was, Plant's work here is even moreso. There was a liveliness and spirituality to the songs performed during Band of Joy's two-hour set Friday that made Raising Sand feel reserved and exacting. Folk, roots, Americana -- whatever you call it, there's a loose, messy quality that's essential to capturing the song as it should be.

Time and again Friday, Plant and his musical collaborators demonstrated a fine balance between muscular and mystical. ("It's early days, but it's gettin' good," Plant observed midway through the set; most bands would kill to sound this tight after six months on the road, never mind a few weeks.) The set list veered between eclectic covers -- Zeppelin, of course; Richard Thompson, Ray Charles, slowcore rockers Low -- and a sprinkling of tunes from the band members' respective projects Please Read the Letter; Griffin's take on If I Had My Way).

Throughout, Band of Joy was on point, frequently indulging in crystalline five-part harmonies sharp enough to draw blood. It was a magnificent thing to hear those disparate (on paper) voices blend flawlessly; there were moments where it felt as if all the air had been sucked from the room -- the encore finale, And We Bid You Goodnight, with its five-part acappella harmonies, will linger with me the rest of my life. Every member of Band of Joy meshed with the others; these were consummate professionals in near lock-step with one another.

It was also fascinating to compare how Griffin's voice mingled with Plant's compared to Krauss's voice. Griffin's has a grit and gospel fervor, whereas Krauss feels more ethereal, almost pillowy. Each is potent and gorgeous, but Griffin delivered an edge and Krauss offered only sweetness. The difference, as evidenced by the updates of Please Read the Letter and Rich Woman, allowed Plant to free himself from the rigid structures of Raising Sand.

Not without its flaws -- the sound crew was bedeviled by mic problems early on -- but hardly a wasted evening, Plant and the Band of Joy delivered a splendid, captivating performance. Whatever it may be that has captured Plant's imagination about American roots music, one can only he continues to draw inspiration from this source for a long, long time. He's never sounded more vital.

http://www.dfw.com/2...ings-sheer.html

Well, the Houston show was fantastic! Ill try not to gush too much, but it was BY FAR the best concert I have ever been to. Of course, being on the front row helps. That was a first for me. Robert looked and sounded great! I loved all of the new songs and cannot wait for the album in September. It was just a really great experience!

The set list was about the same except that he sang Tangerine (which is one of my favorites) and In the Mood. Those were pleasant surprises! One funny thing that happened was when they came out for the encore, the band started playing Rock and Roll. I was hoping it was a mistake because I was really looking forward to Thank You. Robert was looking over at Buddy and scrambling around a bit, except in a very cool way...I swear that guy is freakin cool as a cucumber. He just oozes that sexy cool vibe, but I digress. Finally, Robert stopped and said Okay, lets try this in another key or something like that and everyone laughed and they started up Thank You. It was awesome!

I recall someone asking about the crowds for these shows. The Pavilion holds 17,000 people and it was packed. It may not have sold out but it was full and loud. The crowd was really into it the whole time. Of course, some drunk bozo behind me kept screaming Zeppelin!! and, after a while, Robert stretched his arms out and roared like a lion, as if to say, Look dude, I can scream too and then he had a big grin on his face.

Sorry for rambling on. It was truly a night I will never forget.

Here is a picture of the crowd looking back from our seats. There was a horrible storm brewing and the rain started just as Robert took the stage.

IMG_0073.jpg

And, here is the only decent picture my husband got with my Iphone and its not even a good one. That the last time I let him be the photographer...lol!

IMG_0077.jpg

Oh, and I got to meet Maidstone from the Forum. She was really nice. I can wait to hear what she thought about the show! Maid??

Great reviews, Gigi and Steve! Thanks for posting them!

Sounds like a great concert!

It's tough to get good concert photos, Gigi, even from the front row. That crowd was immense!

I am so happy that our forum members got such great seats for Robert's concerts! Thanks to Sam for the heads up when they first went on sale!

I am still hoping for a second US tour!

Here I am Gigi! Very nice meeting you the other night.

I thought the show and set list was Fantastic! The reworking of the Led Zep songs were wonderful.

I can't seem to find any reviews of the show in the online papers. Anyways, it was weird, wacky weather and the lightning and wind just seem to add to the ambiance of the show. We Houstonians missed him and Alison Krauss due to Hurricane Ike so I'm glad the weather didn't halt this show.

By the way - loved Marco the drummer! And Robert looked very fit. Just a really great night and he left us wanting more. And more. And more.

Cheers!

Maid

MUSIC MATTERS

He's the Chuck Norris of blues-based guitar rock: Don't miss tonight's Robert Plant concert

By Michael D. Clark

July 24th, 2010 at 6:00 AM

A life-long friend of mine who is usually quite knowledgeable about all things rock n' roll (although he does have an unnatural affection for Cher which, for a heterosexual man, is a bit disturbing) told me that he wasn't going to see Robert Plant in Texas because the Led Zeppelin classics featured in the show are now too "countri-fied."

I am normally a calm man who invites an intellectual back-'n-forth on the arts... but this unfettered attack on one of the greatest rock n' roll gods to ever walk the earth made me want to knee my good friend in groin.

Twice.

Instead, I composed myself and wrote him this email. Later I realized my response was not only the reason my hopelessly demented ex-friend (just kiddin', dude) should go see the 61-year-old king of falsetto blues-rock emoting... it's the reason all rock fans in Houston should be there.

Dear Doofus,

(OK, I added that salutation just now. The rest is pretty much word-for-word though. I swear.)

You shouldn't hate on Plant for changing the arrangements of the Zep songs. He doesn't play with Zep any more so it makes sense that he wouldn't play them the same way.

I think an artist who takes the times to make changes to past songs is far more interesting than an artist who keeps playing the same tired tunes the exact same way as if he's on auto-pilot.

Plant has always been an artist who performs his music in a manner consistent with the sounds that interest him at that moment.

Back with Zep, that was a very big, blues-based rock juggernaut. Then,, when he and (for Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page reunited in the mid-90s, the songs were heavily influenced by Indian and Middle Eastern music.

Lately, Plant has been recording with Alison Krauss (and winning armfuls of Grammys for their 2008 album "Raising Sand") so it only makes sense that there would be some country and bluegrass influence.

I love it. I think it keeps Plant interesting and (more importantly) keeps him interested in playing the music.

I have never been disappointed by a Robert Plant concert yet. It should be great.

Take care,

MDC

P.S. Calling Plant "countri-fied" makes you sound about as smart as a garden gnome, ya Cher lover!!!

To put it simply, Robert Plant is the Chuck Norris of blues-based guitar rock. If you want to see living rock n' roll history, you will not miss this show.

And don't give me any yak-yak about the ticket prices. Lawn seats are $9.37.

This is the first time Plant fans have been able to see him perform for less than $10 since the early days of Led Zeppelin over 40 years ago.

Saturday

Robert Plant, opening act Betty Levette

8 p.m. at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

Tickets:$9.37-$150

http://www.culturema...k-robert-plant/

I just got back from the Austin show (07/26/10). SO AMAZING. It was phenomenal.. Robert's chemistry with the newfound "new" Band of Joy" is amazing.. Patty Griffin is amazing performer and she adds a kind of balance to the stage.. you can tell her and Robert play off of one another. Betty Levette was an AMAZING opening act, too.. so energetic and soulful. I had the pleasure of meeting a few fellow members at the show while I was standing in line (we were all a few paces away from each other.. how's that for a pleasant coicindence? MadScreamingGallery, ZepFanForever, MightyZep and imPLANTed! It was amazing! I think one of us got a picture.. at least, I remember taking a picture.. ;)

Here are some very crappy photos. I was crying in 2 out of 3 of them..

38453_1330707917259_1517820016_30752340_3810894_n.jpg

37671_1330712797381_1517820016_30752346_651499_n.jpg

37504_1330732437872_1517820016_30752362_3803958_n.jpg

I just got back from the Austin show (07/26/10). SO AMAZING. It was phenomenal.. Robert's chemistry with the newfound "new" Band of Joy" is amazing.. Patty Griffin is amazing performer and she adds a kind of balance to the stage.. you can tell her and Robert play off of one another. Betty Levette was an AMAZING opening act, too.. so energetic and soulful. I had the pleasure of meeting a few fellow members at the show while I was standing in line (we were all a few paces away from each other.. how's that for a pleasant coicindence? MadScreamingGallery, ZepFanForever, MightyZep and imPLANTed! It was amazing! I think one of us got a picture.. at least, I remember taking a picture.. ;)

Here are some very crappy photos. I was crying in 2 out of 3 of them..

Amazing and phenomenal are great ways to describe the show! I loved watching Robert interact with his band and the way that he and Patty complemented each other so well.

My photos aren't great either. Every time Robert came over to sing in front of our section I didn't want to put my camera up in his face.

You and the other young girl next to me were so cute and sweet when you were watching Robert -- you were both just mesmerized and so full of joy.

http://i219.photobuc.../SANY0009_1.jpg

http://i219.photobuc...ry/SANY0026.jpg

A review from Austin360:

http://www.austin360...in_music_source

It was so lovely meeting you! I never thought I'd be one of "those" members that has some real life interaction with fellow posters but I guess the rock gods were smiling down on me last evening :). It was so trippy how we were all standing so close and didn't realize it at first. I had such an amazing time.. I was so excited and it was my "first time" so I'm now officially not a "virgin" anymore. It's so special that so many people can share that. :)

It was so lovely meeting you! I never thought I'd be one of "those" members that has some real life interaction with fellow posters but I guess the rock gods were smiling down on me last evening :). It was so trippy how we were all standing so close and didn't realize it at first. I had such an amazing time.. I was so excited and it was my "first time" so I'm now officially not a "virgin" anymore. It's so special that so many people can share that. :)

It was so lovely to meet you too! I've never sought real life interaction with fellow posters either but...it just happened. The stars were aligned last night, everything was perfect. Stubbs is one of my favorite venues and I can't think of a cooler place for one's "first time." :)

It was so lovely meeting you! I never thought I'd be one of "those" members that has some real life interaction with fellow posters but I guess the rock gods were smiling down on me last evening smile.gif. It was so trippy how we were all standing so close and didn't realize it at first. I had such an amazing time.. I was so excited and it was my "first time" so I'm now officially not a "virgin" anymore. It's so special that so many people can share that. smile.gif

What a great experience! How did you guys figure out that you were members of the forum? Did everyone have on Led Zeppelin shirts? I am inclined to speak to people who I see at concerts who have on Led Zeppelin shirts. I wish that I did that at the Them Crooked Vultures Concert, as there were alot of people there with LZ shirts on and I could have met at least a couple of our forum members there. A missed opportunity.

I can't remember who recognized who first but I remember someone looking at me for a long time and I was starting to get a bit uncomfortable until they mentioned "Bustle In my Hedgerow". It was so much fun waiting in line. I made friends with a brother and sister who were just as excited as I was and a man and his wife behind them.. we were quizzing each other with Led Zeppelin trivia during the 4 hours we stood in line. Every other person had a Led Zep t-shirt on... it just kind of gave me the warm and fuzzies. I missed them the first time around so this was kind of like my first "second" chance. It just felt so amazing because I felt so connected with everyone there... just goes to show you how Led Zeppelin unites people like that. The highlight of the night was "Tangerine".. I started crying. It was just an absolutely phenomenal and memorable night :)

I'm glad I'm in the ranks of those who are no longer Robert Plant concert virgins! Ha Ha! The man is pure magic.

We (ZeppFanForever, my sister and myself) had an amazing experience in Austin.

Bustle: I'm not sure who discovered you were from LZ. All I know is when ZeppFanForever started to introduce you to me by saying, "This is Bustle...", I couldn't help but blurt out the rest of the introduction, "in my Hedgerow." Ha Ha! So happy to meet you. I'm sorry if I told you for the millioneth time you look like Drew Barrymore. Ha Ha!

Thanks to MadScreamin'Gallery for the private tour of the facility wherein I was able to watch Robert practice before the show.

The music was out of this world! The band was outstanding! Patti Griffin harmonized so well with Robert. One of my favorite parts of the evening is when someone else took the microphone and Robert faded to the back of the stage to play his harmonica. So humble. So beautiful.

It truly was the total Robert Plant experience.

I could go on and on...

Lovely meeting everyone! If any of you still haven't seen the show and have the opportunity, DO IT!

Barb

What a great experience! How did you guys figure out that you were members of the forum? Did everyone have on Led Zeppelin shirts? I am inclined to speak to people who I see at concerts who have on Led Zeppelin shirts. I wish that I did that at the Them Crooked Vultures Concert, as there were alot of people there with LZ shirts on and I could have met at least a couple of our forum members there. A missed opportunity.

After I met imPLANTed she pointed out Bustle to me so I could say "hello." I've never worn and don't wear LZ shirts or anything else that would identify me as a Zep fan - I connect with people in other ways.

I'm glad I'm in the ranks of those who are no longer Robert Plant concert virgins! Ha Ha! The man is pure magic.

Bustle: I'm not sure who discovered you were from LZ. All I know is when ZeppFanForever started to introduce you to me by saying, "This is Bustle...", I couldn't help but blurt out the rest of the introduction, "in my Hedgerow." Ha Ha! So happy to meet you. I'm sorry if I told you for the millioneth time you look like Drew Barrymore. Ha Ha!

Thanks to MadScreamin'Gallery for the private tour of the facility wherein I was able to watch Robert practice before the show.

The music was out of this world! The band was outstanding! Patti Griffin harmonized so well with Robert. One of my favorite parts of the evening is when someone else took the microphone and Robert faded to the back of the stage to play his harmonica. So humble. So beautiful.

I could go on and on...

Lovely meeting everyone! If any of you still haven't seen the show and have the opportunity, DO IT!

Barb

You're welcome! The pleasure was mine - you and your sister are such nice people and your admiration for Robert is so genuine, I knew you would be respectful of Robert and his time.

I am so happy that it was a wonderful, total Robert Plant experience for you! :)

Yes, Bustle looks like a young Drew Barrymore and you remind me of the younger, brunette Pamela Des Barres. ;)

Can't help wondering how long it will be before we start hearing rumors about Robert and Patty's "chemistry" off stage.

Love,

Billy

That thought crossed my mind as well. Gotta give Robert kudos for collaborating with extremely talented, attractive female vocalists of late. I would imagine his charm permeates whatever area he happens to occupy.

I could go on and on...

Barb

I just felt so unbelievably blessed to have connected with you guys. I haven't had much experience but I have found that it's so rare to connect with someone on a very deep level because of music.. and that is literally ALL I FELT the entire time I stood in line and during the show. It was just like this thread, uniting us.. I probably looked weird to some of the people standing around me because at one point I just closed my eyes and put my arms in the air and let the music consume me.. but that is how I approach music. It was just an amazing night--one that I will never forget anytime soon--and I felt so honored and privileged to have shared it with you guys. You guys "get it".. and that, to me, is beautiful :)

I've been listening to a few shows ( boots) of the recent Band of Joy formation. I gotta honestly say that I just can't get into it. It's pretty much along the lines of the Alison Krauss deal, but the Zeppelin reditions are just boring to me. I get the whole thing about doing another take on the Zep songs but hasnt he done that enough already? I think he should stay away from Zep songs all together unless he wants to meet up with Jimmy again. I might get some rude comments from this post, but I'm just speaking my mind..thats what the forum is all about...Dont get me wrong, I love Robert. He's a great singer from the best rock band ever but I just can't make myself enjoy what he's doing now. Anybody else had a chance to listen to any of this new stuff (BOJ) too?

I understand where you're coming from. 99% of the people I stood with were more excited about the prospect of playing Led Zeppelin material (which he did) rather than the new stuff.. but I guess in person, on stage, standing a few feet away the intensity of the music just grabs you and pulls you in. It's not fair to compare it to Led Zeppelin by a long shot but I felt that the show he gave us was amazing nonetheless.. it was very folksy and emotional and in spite of the fact that I had not heard any BOJ material before I still enjoyed it. Plus, I thoroughly enjoyed his collaboration with Alison Krauss so I guess maybe I got into the feel of the sound really easily.

Archived