Robert Plant 2010 Tour

Bang on the money there, Oracle.

I wonder how much other bluegrass and acapella gospel some of these posters have in their collections.

What possible difference does that make? Jeez the haters will grasp at any straws.

I remember seeing him at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA back in the mid 2000's. He looked my way while I was smoking weed and he seemed to smile at me. Unfortunately, he looked at the VERY heavy set girl next to me and quickly lost his smile. I kept thinking to myself, "Oh No, Robert must think I'm with this girl" and I tried to move far away from her but it seemed like wherever I moved she was next to me. Oh the horror of it all!:D

:lol::lol: :lol:

I got the same vibe at the Houston show! I could swear he winked at me once, but of course, I could be delusional...lol. Frankly, he just looked like he was having a great time. He was interacting with the crowd and, I guess he was liking the feedback. It was the coolest thing being up so close! (I know....I sound like a broken record. ;) )

Gigi, you're very pretty...I wouldn't be surprised if Robert noticed you..and winked. ;)

Yes, Robert definitely drew energy from the crowd. My husband, who is not a Zep fan, has an objective clarity that isn't tainted by memories so when I take him to LZ-related shows I'm always interested in his observations - among other things, he also noticed how energized Robert became once he was onstage and getting feedback from the enthusiastic audience.

Why thank you, MSG! You're very kind. :)

My husband is the same way. He's a casual fan, but as we were leaving the Pavilion, he said, "wow, that was really great; he put on a great show". I think he's more of a fan now, but not quite to the level I am. :P

Maybe Robert can "hook-up" with Lady Gaga in Dallas tonight after the show. Lady Gaga was also here last night, so maybe Robert was already in town last night from the Tuscon show on the 21st. I'm sure Lady Gaga would like to meet Robert.... after all who can resist Robert !

I think the bass player is Lady Gaga

I wonder how much other bluegrass and acapella gospel some of these posters have in their collections.

Not that it matters but I've been a fan of bluegrass and Americana music long before the Raising Sand album :rolleyes:

I got the same vibe at the Houston show! I could swear he winked at me once, but of course, I could be delusional...lol. Frankly, he just looked like he was having a great time. He was interacting with the crowd and, I guess he was liking the feedback. It was the coolest thing being up so close! (I know....I sound like a broken record. ;) )

Glad to hear the shows have been going well :) Hopefully he comes and plays up by me sometime soon!

Getting Back on topic, ...

R B)

I read back and see the posts are about Robert's 2010 tour. Is it that the topic has to be posts that only reflect what you want to hear?

I didn't see any subtopic add-on's from the OP saying only posts that glorify the music be made.

So, staying on topic, why are negative posts, those that express opinions not enjoying the music seen as hatred ? Seems pretty extreme to me.

I love how Robert smiles at potheads though :D, he's just an old stoner himself ! Even JPJ puts on a big smile when someone fires up right underneath him. I know that one firsthand ! :lol:

I read back and see the posts are about Robert's 2010 tour. Is it that the topic has to be posts that only reflect what you want to hear?

I didn't see any subtopic add-on's from the OP saying only posts that glorify the music be made.

So, staying on topic, why are negative posts, those that express opinions not enjoying the music seen as hatred ? Seems pretty extreme to me.

I love how Robert smiles at potheads though :D, he's just an old stoner himself ! Even JPJ puts on a big smile when someone fires up right underneath him. I know that one firsthand ! :lol:

Reids may have been referring to the fact that your holding-forth-at-length had nothing to do with the performances on this tour, which you don't appear to have seen.

Such a shame some folks are hell bent in giving RP abuse for these shows, you really are missing out in some great music. The Houston show was THE best RP show i have ever seen and i've seen two or three :)

I'll take your word for it . It's been a long time since I've seen RP in a venue that was up close and personal. The last time I was fortunate enough to do so, it was a killer evening.

Such a shame some folks are hell bent in giving RP abuse for these shows, you really are missing out in some great music. The Houston show was THE best RP show i have ever seen and i've seen two or three :)

Don't be modest I know for a fact you have seen at least 6 shows B)

Here's an interview I saw posted on RO, peole are having the same discussions and disagreements about Roberts new venture.

My link

The fact is difficult to grasp, but Robert Plant has been a solo artist for much longer than he was the lead singer and strutting rock-‘n’-roll god of Led Zeppelin.

Those trips for millions of fans up that “Stairway to Heaven” lasted from 1968 to 1980. In the 30 years since, Plant, now a grizzled and bemused 61, has found new adventures and a new identity—and a path to musical heaven—in American blues, folk and roots music.

But he remains patient with those confused by the contrast between his towering historical image and musical present.

“That’s all right. It’s been a great run,” Plant says from the Phoenix stop of a tour and his latest project, Band of Joy. “If we can’t have fun now, the game’s over, isn’t it?”

The last time Plant played Phoenix, some 40 years ago, he had some fun spraying fire extinguisher foam under the door of sleeping Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page’s hotel room. Such memories can make touring “a bit like being in a time tunnel,” Plant muses. But he has looked for mellower forms of enjoyment since Led Zeppelin split, blown apart after drummer John Bonham fell asleep drunk and suffocated on his vomit, an emblem of the dangers of rock-‘n’-roll excess.

These days, Plant regards his reign atop the rock pantheon with a cynical eye. “I know exactly which buttons to press to make all that come back,” he says. “Sometimes I get the old metal polish out and polish up bits of gold. But not often.”

He doesn’t need to indulge in nostalgia. “I’m singing better now than I have in a lifetime,” he says. “And I’m not standing on top of a barrel hopping up and down with a chain round my neck.”

Band of Joy was the name of the psychedelic blues band fronted by a teenage Plant, just before Yardbirds’ guitarist Page scooped him up for Led Zeppelin. Its current incarnation, which includes Nashville luminaries guitarist/producer Buddy Miller and singer Patty Griffin, plays startlingly diverse music ranging from obscure gospel, soul, folk and blues to more contemporary songs by Los Lobos, Townes Van Zandt, alt-rock group Low and even Plant and Page. The group’s eponymous release debuts in September.

“You can get so easily typecast,” Plant says. “You can find routines and formulas that you drop into, and you say ‘Hey, this is my style.’ I think back on the days of Band of Joy. We were finding a brand new place to be coming from, that kind of English-psychedelic blues idiom, at the expense of popularity and success. And I see that what I do now is I stimulate myself by being in great environments, at the cost and at the joy of moving away from being typecast, and continuing to open my repertoire and using my gift just like I was doing when I was 17.”

Plant’s previous musical adventure, the album Raising Sand, with bluegrass icon Alison Krauss, should have ended his strutting-rocker typecasting for good. A haunting, subtle record of blues, early rock and obscure Americana laced with shimmering harmonies, Raising Sand made a surprise sweep of the 2009 Grammy Awards, winning five prizes, including Album and Record of the Year.

Long interested in music beyond the storming arena rock he pioneered, Long explored blues, folk and even African and Moroccan music with his group Strange Sensation, performing in Mali with African stars such as Ali Farka Toure and Tinariwen.

Sheri Sands, general manager of Rounder Records, which released Sand and will put out Band of Joy, thinks Plant has always been adventurous creatively.

“On some levels I wasn’t surprised by Raising Sand, because Robert is so passionate and curious about music,” Sands says. “Even from the early days of Led Zeppelin he has always had a fascination with American roots music. . . . He’s not the type of artist that just continues doing the same thing.”

Plant’s love of American music dates to his teens, when he and a generation of British rockers found in the blues a soul and sensuality lacking in their culture, inspired a musical movement and helped power the British rock-‘n’-roll invasion.

Plant and his 1960s compatriots romanticized this country’s big cars and big-busted women and what he calls “the shudder and quake of Howling Wolf. ... In Britain, austerity was the name of the game before the swinging ‘60s kicked in,” he says. “Our music scene was basically looking at America.

“There are so many different cultures in America. We were all just Anglo-Saxons or Celts hanging onto tradition and looking quite enviously at America. So when I got to America I was never gonna let it go.”

With Band of Joy, he’s reaching even deeper into U.S. traditions, finding roots in Europe, Latin America and beyond, still enthralled by the wild sounds from across the pond.

“I’m using American stuff from the 19th century on this new record,” Plant says. “I’m delving and digging into hill music from everywhere. Because a lot of the music comes from Ireland and Scotland anyway, and some of it comes from West Africa, and some of it comes from Cuba and Mexico, and it all melts into a great homogeneous American music.

“You don’t get the same kind of stimulus in Stratford-on-Avon. Shakespeare’s been dead a long time.”

And Plant hopes to keep making music until he follows the Bard. “It’s a bit odd, really, because I don’t know when I’m going to die,” he says.

He doesn’t want to head out anytime soon, given how much he’s enjoying the music he’s making with Band of Joy. “It shudders, and it shakes, and it moans,” he says. “However you think of me or whatever you have to say after this, you can tell people that I’m on fire.”

Burning with musical passion may not sound like the traditional way to get to heaven. But that route works for Robert Plant.

I posted a reply and this is what i feel

Despite the angst from some and it really has always been this way for Plant post Zep and evryone has the right to like or dislike his stuff. It's all subjective anyway. Isn't it important for any artist to follow what they want and not just continually pander to the masses. Zeppelin always said that they made the music they liked and wanted to play and didn't do it for the record buying public.

Its 30 years since Zep's demise and some people still want him to stay true to what THEY want (Zeppelin part 2) and seemingly struggle to allow him to explore his musical world and roots.

2 statements stand out for me in this interview

“If we can’t have fun now, the game’s over, isn’t it?”

“However you think of me or whatever you have to say after this, you can tell people that I’m on fire.”

He is being true to himself and for himself

If people don't like what he is doing they are under no obligation to buy the album or see the shows, it's simple really.

I would much prefer to see him enjoying himself and feeling on fire than he disappear completely or for him to tour with Zep and hate it and not believe in it or give his all.

I like to see him on stage where he should be and listen to him sing from his heart.

Oracle, you've hit the nail on the head again! I'm sure your thumb will join me in thanking you for that.

I find it upsetting and offensive to be labelled a hater merely for going against the flow in a measured and non-confrontational manner, and I think it's somewhat rich for Knebby to refer to me as a 'hater' just for going off-message here. I mean, just take a look at her avatar and signature, FFS! But I won't take it personally, because I've seen how she speaks to other posters.

I've been a Zep fan for a very long time, longer than her I'd guess, and enjoyed all Plant's post-Zep work until Raising Sand. Well, maybe not Shaken 'n Stirred - couldn't get my head round that one at all, sorry. So I'm hardly a hater. However, I'm not a blind sycophant either, and I'm calling him on Raising Sand and what I've heard of the new stuff. And why shouldn't I, and why should that constitute hatred? It's not as if I've drawn a cock and balls in Lady Di's Book of Remembrance, is it?

Well I had some in mine before Raising Sand but admit it wasnt really something I listened to a lot but when RS came along i took the opportunity to widen my search and listening and found some excellent stuff, mind you some of it is too close to country music for me and I struggle with a lot of country.

I did the same when Robert got together with Justin Adams and they really opened up my world/african music listening and collection.

But just because people disnt have much in their collections doesnt mean they couldn't get into it.

Reids may have been referring to the fact that your holding-forth-at-length had nothing to do with the performances on this tour, which you don't appear to have seen.

You're right, I haven't seen this tour in person. I seen and heard several you tubes and can make my justifications on that. And as far as "holding forth at length"....with comments that come after, obviously nothing is absorbed. Things like hater and back on topic come out and the posts have been on topic with some posts indeed showing dissatisfaction with the musical direction.

Dissention should be quelled and never held forth at length !!

33k6smo.gif

Hello Everyone!

I can only speak for myself. I love a variety of music. About the only music I will not spend my money on is rap. Had to listen to it when my son was a teenager...I gave it a try and just didn't care for it. I own gospel (Elvis, Mahalia Jackson to name a couple), also love country ( old and new) and own quite a bit, love Jazz both old style and contemporary and own a lot of that as well. There are also some pop songs/bands that I enjoy.Classic rock would of course be my favorite as this is what I grew up on. I try to open myself up to a variety which has allowed me to find and enjoy a lot of music. :D

I admit that Led Zeppelin makes up for what I listen to 75% of the time. I truly believe that those four men were the absolute best at what they did. :notworthy: I knew Allison had a beautiful voice and I was suprised at first when Robert did Raising Sand, but I knew with his vocals that I would probably love it...and I did.

Apologies for going a little off topic here.

Deborah J,

Your musical tastes sound a lot like those of the guys in Led Zeppelin. Jonesy speaks of a great love of everything from bluegrass to Motown to classical to jazz and much more in between. We all know Bonzo loved Motown, too, and was generally a great lover of songs from all genres - anything he could sing at the top of his lungs from CSN to Fairport to The Police and Genesis - in addition to jazz from the likes of his heroes Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich and Alphonso Mouzon. Jimmy's all over the map too with his great love for all things blues and rockabilly and ethnic music from around the world. Robert's never been shy about espousing the great love he has for the whole Calif. scene in the late 60s in addition to the blues, rockabilly and many other forms of ethnic music - particularly from north africa and the middle and far east. Put all those great influences together add some fantastic musicianship and the unique charisma, courage and personalities of the four guys and you have Led Zeppelin. What I love about the band and those guys the most is their absolute refusal to be bored.

There's nothing in the Band of Joy that Robert hasn't already touched on - either with or without Led Zep. He's just digging a bit deeper in one direction for now. It's a journey and adventure for him - and apparently what he needs to stay motivated to do this at this stage of his career. Some want to travel along, some don't. Pretty simple, really. The best part of it all is that once this trip is over we have no idea what's next. I love that part of it. Ever onward.

Love,

Billy

Deborah J, I wouldn't say that's off-topic at all. And if it is, so what?

At least you're not calling anyone a 'hater'.

My tastes are eclectic too, though I always come home to Classic Rock. With you on rap - what's THAT all about, eh? And yes, Raising Sand sounded LOVELY, and so will Band of Joy. But that's NOT WHAT I WANT from the world's GREATEST EVER ROCK SINGER!!!!! If I want 'lovely', I'll listen to Neil Young or Jeff Buckley or some such.

My tastes are eclectic too, though I always come home to Classic Rock. With you on rap - what's THAT all about, eh? And yes, Raising Sand sounded LOVELY, and so will Band of Joy. But that's NOT WHAT I WANT from the world's GREATEST EVER ROCK SINGER!!!!! If I want 'lovely', I'll listen to Neil Young or Jeff Buckley or some such.

Check your calendar lately? The man's in his 60s. What do you expect from him? And why should he limit himself to being a "rock singer"? He never did with Led Zeppelin - why should he now? The thing is, people like you and the other nay sayers here *don't get it* and never will. You don't understand Led Zeppelin, you don't really know what the band was all about - their influences, their motivations, their intentions. Or maybe you do and you just choose to be willfully ignorant. It's his latest album, latest tour, latest project. With any luck there will be others - but don't hold your breath waiting for him to revert back to any semblance of his former self. He's NEVER done that before, and he's not about to start now.

Love,

Billy

Ah.

So by saying nay to Plant's recent stuff, I'm now revealing myself as not understanding Zep and not really knowing what the band was about. That's rather a quantum leap, Mr MacQ. But if it makes you happy, carry on throwing the rocks. And I'll lob them right back at you.

'Revert back' is a tautology, by the way. 'Revert' alone will suffice.

Thanks, We all have a right to our opinions. I always refrain from calling anyone a hater...not what muisc is supposed to be about. The only time I become like a female Peter Grant is if someone out right knocks Led Zeppelin or the members..then I am compelled :whistling:

Ah.

So by saying nay to Plant's recent stuff, I'm now revealing myself as not understanding Zep and not really knowing what the band was about. That's rather a quantum leap, Mr MacQ. But if it makes you happy, carry on throwing the rocks. And I'll lob them right back at you.

'Revert back' is a tautology, by the way. 'Revert' alone will suffice.

Cheers for the grammar lesson. Always welcomed.

Not a quantum leap at all. If you've been paying attention from the get go, you would accept - sorry - you would EXPECT and embrace these sort of musical diversions - not just from Robert but from the other two as well. Your reference to Robert's prior glory as a "Classic Rock" singer is exhibit A here. Really? Is that all he was to you? If that's the case, then yeah, you don't get it, and never will.

It doesn't matter to me if you like this project or not. It's the whining that grates. The sense of entitlement to call the shots in his career. The claims that he owes you and the rest of his "fans" something. What a load of shite. Led Zep wouldn't have been Led Zep if they were content to rest on their laurels. That band was like a shark that never stops moving or it will die. I have no doubt whatsoever that you and your ilk - had you been in the audience back in 1970 - would have been drunk off your tits and yelling out for Whole Lotta Love during the acoustic set. And I'm equally sure you don't like toast unless the crust is cut off just like Mommy did when you were a wee lad.

Love,

Billy

Archived