Just because you like something somebody does, that doesn't mean you can't be critical of ANYTHING they do. :rolleyes:

I prefer Monkey to Angel Dance, though it took me a couple of listens--not as immediately accessible, but Angel Dance is catchy in the mode of Gone Gone Gone, and thus does make a better single. (For some reason, I can see the video now, too!)

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Aquamarine

"Just because you like something somebody does, that doesn't mean you can't be critical of ANYTHING they do";

Yes, I like that, that's very open minded, you don't see that kind of attitude very often when talking about Robert here. Maybe some 'Other Posters' will see your Words Of Wisdom, and take heed. I've been following all this stuff since I joined and it looks like some good-intentioned posters have been badmouthed unfairly, I'm even surprised that I haven't been strafed by the Messerschmitt Fire Of The Self-Righteous yet, LOL. Well, I have been poked at, but not too badly, if you see what I mean.

Obviously I love Robert too but I don't think his new stuff is very good, from what I heard already, I don't think I will be buying the CD blind like I did with all of his up to Raising Sand (big mistake there, :( ), but I will try to hear it, 'some other way'. Then maybe I would buy it.

Thnaks

Toni

Speaking of open-minded:

I don’t think people are generally open-minded when the person that they attach to this band goes and does something else. It’s sort of annoying to everybody. But people need to realise that part of being an artist is trying as many things as you can. You want to push yourself and not sit in your comfort zone. (Alison Mosshart)

Hi Aquamarine

"Just because you like something somebody does, that doesn't mean you can't be critical of ANYTHING they do";

Yes, I like that, that's very open minded, you don't see that kind of attitude very often when talking about Robert here. Maybe some 'Other Posters' will see your Words Of Wisdom, and take heed. I've been following all this stuff since I joined and it looks like some good-intentioned posters have been badmouthed unfairly, I'm even surprised that I haven't been strafed by the Messerschmitt Fire Of The Self-Righteous yet, LOL. Well, I have been poked at, but not too badly, if you see what I mean.

Obviously I love Robert too but I don't think his new stuff is very good, from what I heard already, I don't think I will be buying the CD blind like I did with all of his up to Raising Sand (big mistake there, :( ), but I will try to hear it, 'some other way'. Then maybe I would buy it.

Thnaks

Toni

Don't like it based on one studio track, eh? Always good to keep an open mind...

Can't imagine what you were expecting from a Robert Plant/Alison Krauss record that made you it buy w/o hearing it first.

No good-intentioned posters have been badmouthed. Some annoying trolls with nothing better to do than try to stir up controversy under multiple guises have been flamed a bit, but they had it coming. Same goes for the Jimmy boys with man crush issues who can't get over the heartbreak and act out with anti-Robert posts. Poor devils. Life must be so difficult....

Glad Robert finally got around to working with Los Lobos one way or another. I can remember him name dropping them as one of his faves during the interviews for Walking into Clarksdale. MOJO circa 1998. (Steve A. Jones - check the date on that for me like a good lad. Do a search using "Chin Wag" - cheers). Percy talked about loving Kiko but thought they could have left off a few tracks - believe he said he felt the same way about WIC! And he was right! Oh that Percy. So cheeky.

Love,

Billy

So. So far we've got

It's all Robert fault!!!

or

None of Zep lads can ever do any wrong and anyone who says so is not a true fan.

Somewhere in between, the opinions about the music are seeped with what Robert Plant 'ought' to be doing or, more reasonably, appreciating what he is doing on its own merit.

Here's the thing. Your opinion is valid to you, but not all opinions are equally valid. Sorry.

Say I want coverage of the latest Iraqi insurgence or whatever. I'm going to trust the reporting of, for example, Christiane Amanpour - a seasoned professional with a wide and nuanced perspective about the intricacies of forces at play in the region - over that of Joe the plumber turned 'special correspondent' who gives a perspective of the 'average' person (myopic and subjective to the point of being useless, making a mockery of reporting).

So, a person may like or dislike a song, that's their right, but expressions of like and dislike are cheap reporting in that they have nothing to do with the quality of the song. It tells us nothing about the musicianship, choices of the songs, how different the covers are from the originals (although already addressed), recording quality, or for live concerts the song selection in relation to the space they were performed in, etc., etc., just something beyond hey I don't like it, therefore, it sucks. It doesn't (necessarily). Maybe it says more about people's limited musical exposure or something, because people who have more varied tastes have certainly found plenty to appreciate in these latest Plant offerings, even if not every song floats their boat.

It's wonderful that you all were able to meet and have such an amazing evening! I'm smiling at the computer and wishing Robert would come to Virginia! :)

Yes, we had a wonderful time, Virginia! It was a very special evening and things unfolded in the best way possible: completely unexpected and unplanned. I hope you have a chance to see Robert on this tour.:)

Robert Plant Wows Miami Fans In (no Smoking) Bayfront Park Amphitheater, While Fans Smoked Electronic Cigarettes

When Robert Plant was the lead singer for Led Zeppelin, fans were allowed to smoke at the concert. With new restrictions in effect, outdoor venues will only allow the use of electronic cigarettes

Published on August 02, 2010

by Kevin Celini

(OfficialWire)

MIAMI, FL - It was a hot, humid night at Bayfront Park in Miami Florida, but that did not stop the fans of one the best lead singers this world has ever seen. The last day of July 2010 brought the Led Zeppelin front man, Robert Plant, to the stage with his new band "The Band of Joy".

April of 1970 was the last time Robert Plant appeared on stage to wow a Miami crowd and 40 years later he apparently was still able to do it again and again. Belting out tunes from past years with Led Zeppelin, Plant mystified listeners with his magical voice along beautiful Biscayne Bay.

Plant's "Band of Joy" consisted of guitarist Buddy Miller (co-producer) from Nashville, Patty Griffin on vocals, multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott, bassist Byron House and drummer Marco Giovino. "It's been a blast working on these new songs and I'm enjoying such creativity and vitality," "It's been a remarkable change of direction for all of us and as a group we all seem to have developed a new groove" Plant said in a statement.

Plant's album "Band of Joy" is scheduled for a release date of September 14, 2010, so most fans did not know songs performed off that album. The crowd was amazed when Plant performed 'Tangerine', http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dya4g3NJ_5k, 'Thank You', 'Misty Mountain Hop' and 'Rock & Roll'. "I never thought in a million years I would see Robert Plant do Led Zeppelin songs live" expressed Jennifer C, a Miami resident, sipping her cold beer and smoking a Cilini electronic cigarette. "Its great to stand here with my e-cig and not offend anyone when I smoke" she expressed.

If you never had the opportunity to see Led Zeppelin live, you missed your chance to hear Plant perform as this was the end of his US summer tour. The next show is September 2nd in London and then 2 weeks in October beginning in Sweden.

Fans are hoping for a return tour in 2011.

Posted 8/02/2010 5:07 PM

http://forums.ledzep...r/page__st__360

--------------------------------

..."April of 1970 was the last time Robert Plant appeared on stage to wow a Miami crowd..."

Yet another journalist who didn't do homework! Robert Plant performed at Miami Arena on 7/14/88; as I recall it was among the first - if not the first - music events held at what was then a brand new arena, though it has since been demolished.

Edited by SteveAJones

I prefer his older solo material to this video (song). His voice is gone..I want to dig it because it's Plant, but like my previous comment, I just can't. Im happy for him and all that he's done up until now with his transitions. Not many people can do that, but Im not impressed by his voice any longer and while he may still sing with passion for the love of the music he is creating, I dont feel that getting through to me either. What happened to all the music that gave me goosebumps or made me excited? ...Well, It's been a while. I would be willing to bet that if this wasnt the singer from Led Zeppelin that we all identify ourselves with, more than half the people who like his new stuff -wouldn't like it as much or at all if it wasn't HIM. But Im happy that he's still out there..I'll put on some Strange Sensation instead.

Edited by Rock Historian

I wouldn't go that far. I still love hearing him sing. No, he's not the Robert from back in the da,y but he still sounds great live.

I agree with Wolfman here.

And don't write Robert off just yet. He's got more up his sleeve (remember he has more than a double album's worth of material recorded and stuff with Daniel Lanois that he recorded, too, so hang in there).

He's like a good magician (always working to surprise you; just when you think you've got him figured out, he goes in another direction). I'd be bored if all he did was one style of music (which, we all know is definitely not Robert).

R B)

Edited by reids

I agree with Wolfman here.

And don't write Robert off just yet. He's got more up his sleeve (remember he has more than a double album's worth of material recorded and stuff with Daniel Lanois that he recorded, too, so hang in there).

He's like a good magician (always working to surprise you; just when you think you've got him figured out, he goes in another direction). I'd be bored if all he did was one style of music (which, we all know is definitely not Robert).

R B)

I have to agree as well. After seeing the interview and listening to the small sample of the album, I find myself coming around to this project. I can be as guilty as anyone of somewhat stereo typing Plant but you are totally correct with your view. The more I hear, the more I feel he's really enjoying the moment.

I was fortunate enough to meet zeppatic at the Phoenix show. He missed the opening act, and I was figuring his plane was delayed, but he showed up just seconds before Robert took the stage, saying he'd driven in from LA.

Great to meet you PhxHorn at the Phoenix show. What a great venue. The plane trip from Australia, then the drive form L.A to Phoenix was definitely well worth it. This is the second time I've seen Robert Live, last time was in Australia with the Page Plant tour. My brother always skites how he saw Zep in 1972 at Brisbane Festival Hall concert in Australia, and part way through the concert, Robert's Microphone failed, but you could still here Robert's voice at the back of the hall over the band. Simply amazing.

Just got back to home to Australia. Your country is spectacular. Had an awesome time with Robert's concert the highlight, can't wait for the album to be released.

Regard's Zeppatic.

I was fortunate enough to meet zeppatic at the Phoenix show. He missed the opening act, and I was figuring his plane was delayed, but he showed up just seconds before Robert took the stage, saying he'd driven in from LA.

Great to meet you PhxHorn at the Phoenix show. What a great venue. The plane trip from Australia, then the drive form L.A to Phoenix was definitely well worth it. This is the second time I've seen Robert Live, last time was in Australia with the Page Plant tour. My brother always skites how he saw Zep in 1972 at Brisbane Festival Hall concert in Australia, and part way through the concert, Robert's Microphone failed, but you could still here Robert's voice at the back of the hall over the band. Simply amazing.

Just got back to home to Australia. Your country is spectacular. Had an awesome time with Robert's concert the highlight, can't wait for the album to be released.

Regard's Zeppatic.

Thanks guys. :)

I am too - and being that has served me well throughout my life...I hope you hold onto that eternal optimism throughout your life too.

Your :hippy: reminded me: There were several times I caught Robert exchanging glances with those of us who were in the front row but the best was at one point when I looked at Robert and saw he was grinning and looking so delighted or amused either at your dancing or the fact that so many people, including the old(er) gray-haired guys behind you, were openly lighting up right in front of him, so close to him that he could get a contact high when he bent down to check his setlist. Whatever it was that made him grin like that, it was so sweet to see that after so many years Robert still has the capacity to genuinely smile at his audience. :hippy:

Edited for spelling and grammar.

I just came around to check up on this thread and saw this post.. haha, YES. I was hoping I was being inconspicuous but I guess not! The gray haired man behind me insisted that I called him Santa. I'm inclined to think he had smoked prior to the show ;). But yes.. I did notice that he laughed at my immense level of enthusiasm.. it made my heart skip a beat, I had a big goofy smile on my face for the next week. Hey, what do you know? I'm still smiling right now! :D But that's funny that you noticed that.. I thought I might have had imagined it. He still has such an immense stage presence that translates even at (relatively) small venues such as Stubb's. I had a blast.. again, so honored to have shared this experience with such seasoned, true-blue fans such as yourself. :cheer: