Robert Plant 2010 Tour

Interesting that it won't be till "early next year", considering his North American media/promotions tour starts on Sept 13th and should last the week.

On Oct 14th he starts the European tour in Stockholm, Sweeden. His European tour tentatively ends Nov 2nd (unless more dates are announced). Based on what I remember about his past tours, Plant would play right up till just a few days before Christmas.

Buddy Miller knows more than anyone of us would know, but I wouldn't be surprised if some North American dates were announced for Nov/Dec of this year (pure speculation on my part).

Cheers,

I think Buddy is booked on another project in December. Here is my source:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/how-buddy-miller-brought-robert-plants-band-of-joy-into-the-heart-of-americana/Content?oid=1798568

Plant draws inspiration from musical roots

September 13, 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/plant-draws-inspiration-from-musical-roots-20100912-156u5.html

Robert_Plant-200x0.jpg

Thirty years after his Led Zeppelin days, a rock legend is having more fun than ever, writes Jordan Levin.

It's hard to believe, but Robert Plant has been a solo artist for much longer than he was the lead singer and strutting rock'n'roll god of Led Zeppelin.

Those trips for millions of fans up that Stairway to Heaven lasted from 1968 to 1980. In the 30 years since, Plant, now a grizzled and bemused 61, has found new adventures and a new identity - and a path to musical heaven - in American blues, folk and roots music, most recently with his tour and album Band of Joy. But he remains patient with those confused by the contrast between his towering historical image and musical present.

Advertisement: Story continues below

''That's all right. It's been a great run,'' Plant says. ''If we can't have fun now, the game's over, isn't it?''

Touring with Led Zeppelin 40 years ago, Plant had some fun spraying fire extinguisher foam under the door of the hotel room of the sleeping guitarist Jimmy Page. Such memories can make touring ''a bit like being in a time tunnel'', Plant muses.

But he has looked for mellower forms of enjoyment since Led Zeppelin split, blown apart after the drummer John Bonham fell asleep drunk and suffocated on his vomit.

These days Plant regards his reign atop the rock pantheon with a cynical eye. ''I know exactly which buttons to press to make all that come back. Sometimes I get the old metal polish out and polish up bits of gold. But not often.''

He does not need to indulge in nostalgia.

''I'm singing better now than I have in a lifetime. And I'm not standing on top of a barrel hopping up and down with a chain round my neck.''

Band of Joy was the name of the psychedelic blues band fronted by a teenage Plant, just before the Yardbirds guitarist Page scooped him up for Led Zeppelin. Its current incarnation, which includes two Nashville luminaries, the guitarist/producer Buddy Miller and the singer Patty Griffin, plays startlingly diverse music ranging from obscure gospel, soul, folk and blues to more contemporary songs by Los Lobos, Townes Van Zandt, the alt-rock group Low and even Plant and Page.

''You can get so easily typecast,'' Plant says. ''You can find routines and formulas that you drop into, and you say, 'Hey, this is my style.' I think back on the days of Band of Joy. We were finding a brand new place to be coming from, that kind of English-psychedelic blues idiom, at the expense of popularity and success.

''And I see that what I do now is I stimulate myself by being in great environments, at the cost and at the joy of moving away from being typecast, and continuing to open my repertoire and using my gift just like I was doing when I was 17.''

Plant's previous musical adventure, the album Raising Sand, with the bluegrass figure Alison Krauss, should have ended his strutting-rocker typecasting for good. A haunting, subtle record of blues, early rock and obscure Americana laced with shimmering harmonies, Raising Sand made a surprise sweep of last year's Grammy Awards, winning five prizes, including those for album of the year and record of the year.

Plant's love of American music dates to his teens, when he and a generation of British rockers found in the blues a soul and sensuality lacking in their culture, inspired a musical movement and helped power the British rock'n'roll invasion. Plant and his 1960s compatriots romanticised America's big cars and big-busted women and what he calls ''the shudder and quake of Howlin' Wolf''.

''In Britain austerity was the name of the game before the swinging '60s kicked in. Our music scene was basically looking at America.

''There are so many different cultures in America. We were all just Anglo-Saxons or Celts hanging onto tradition and looking quite enviously at America. So when I got to America I was never gonna let it go.''

With Band of Joy, he is reaching even deeper into US traditions, finding roots in Europe, Latin America and beyond, still enthralled by the wild sounds from across the pond.

''I'm using American stuff from the 19th century on this new record. I'm delving and digging into hill music from everywhere. Because a lot of the music comes from Ireland and Scotland anyway, and some of it comes from West Africa, and some of it comes from Cuba and Mexico, and it all melts into a great homogeneous American music.

''You don't get the same kind of stimulus in Stratford on Avon. Shakespeare's been dead a long time.''

Yep great article. Until we get to this:

''You don't get the same kind of stimulus in Stratford on Avon. Shakespeare's been dead a long time.''

No. nonononononononono. Just. No. :duel:

There's a reason Master Will's plays still fill seats. It doesn't do for a guy who talks about delving into the past and plugging into diverse influences to knock another guy who delved into the past and plugged into diverse influences better than anyone else in his day.

Yep great article. Until we get to this:

No. nonononononononono. Just. No. :duel:

There's a reason Master Will's plays still fill seats. It doesn't do for a guy who talks about delving into the past and plugging into diverse influences to knock another guy who delved into the past and plugged into diverse influences better than anyone else in his day.

Yes.yesyesyesyesyesyeyess Just Yes :lol:

I watched Robert on the Jimmy Fallon show tonight (9/13/2010) and I had to smile when Robert said that he played 12 dates earlier down in the south and he said that they were good, and it was hot. Well, I was at the July 23, 2010 show at the Dallas Meyerson Symphony Hall and it was good and a very "Hot" show. I am going to Best Buy later today and proudly pay my $15 or so dollars for the new release from My Favorite Singer in the World: Mr. Robert Anthony Plant and His Band of Joy.

By the way, on another note, I just got my tickets for the Jason Bonham Led Zeppelin Experience at the Dallas Fair Park Music Hall today. JBLZE in Dallas, Texas on November 18, 2010. I am there.

Also, RUSH in concert in less than 14 days here in the Great City of Dallas, in the Best State of the Union, TEXAS.

• 1 month later...

ROBERT PLANT AND THE BAND OF JOY USHER HALL EDINBURGH OCTOBER 18TH 2010

Set List

Monkey

House of Cards

Please Read the Letter

Misty Mountain Hop

Rich Woman

Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller) Robert on harmonica

Tangerine

Move Up (Robert said "Patti's going to rock the joint" and did)

Satan

Central 209 (Robert on washboard!)

Angel Dance

Houses Of The Holy

Down To The Sea

Tall Cool One

Gallows Pole

ENCORE

Harm's Swift Way

Rock n Roll (Robert then said "February 17th 1970…I was 'ere"…he said he's been on Google!

A Very Cellular Song (Incredible String Band)..pretty emotional stuff .)

The gig:

A hot steaming beautifully decorated large mug of perhaps tea was laid carefully down in front of the upright set list on a pedestal with lights. Excitement as I knew who that mug was for and boy did I have a fantastic seat ! Lights dimmed and wow.…

Robert came on stage with his Band of Joy dressed casually in blue jeans and a blue same coloured pattern shirt, bearded and hair really long and blond, and typically Plant like. He appeared confident, really happy and ready to rock with his new band.

The first song was Monkey, one of my favourites on the new album and it sounded even better played live and was a great start to a show which didn't fail to deliver. we had Zep numbers prefaced by Robert saying "And now to the days of oblivion" and were treated to Tangerine which was so very beautifully done. Being so close I was able to pass him a little gift of heather I was delighted when he was onstage and actually said "Hello. lucky heather?" to me and took it out of my hand.

Gallows Pole was not as rocking as heard on Unledded/No Quarter for example, but given a much more mellow treatment and in keeping with the new set up. Down to the Sea also went down really well as did Please Read The Letter which was nicely done with Patty doing an admirable job. I wish she had smiled a little more during the show but nearer the end of the show she did seem to look more relaxed.

Robert's voice was strong, tender, melodic and completely beautiful…better with age!!

The Band of Joy is composed of so many exceptional musicians and Robert took a slightly back seat at some points to let them shine. typical of the man who is clearly enjoying this adventure, has no need to prove anything to himself or the world and is enjoying himself…long may he continue to do so as we are loving every second of this trip!

I must mention the terrific support act…

Justin Adams and Juldeh Camara

What an exceptional blend of rock and African music. Justin said they would get heavy and they sure did and I and the appreciative audience could have listened to them for much much longer. Juldeh is an amazing musician and singer playing the riti to perfection..he can really rock it out!! The audience was enthralled with their exciting sounds and Justin and Juldeh made many new fans I'm completely convinced of that!

Lorraine Robertson

http://www.tightbutl...blweb09/?p=7344

ROBERT PLANT & THE BAND OF JOY – SENTRUM SCENE, OSLO, NORWAY OCTOBER 16TH 2010

This report from Tiina Puska

Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara opened the evening. They were truly something special and I would really love to see them again. My husband, who is normally more into heavy metal, was thrilled by them.

Robert was in a great mood, relaxed, smiling and laughing and joking about the afternoon nap he took in his hotel room. I’m not sure if he stayed at the Grand Hotel, which is the best in Oslo (we heard that Lady Gaga was there, as she was performing in Oslo on Saturday as well). Grand Hotel was next to our hotel and we tried to spot Robert but unfortunately we didn’t.

The gig was fantastic, the band was on top form and Robert as well. I saw him in Stockholm with Alison Krauss 2008, and somehow I think that this gig was even better, and very different in many ways. Maybe one thing was that in Oslo there were no seats so we could dance like maniacs, we were on the second /third row, so we were pretty close to Robert. The highlight for me was Tangerine, I’ve always loved that song so much. And I’m sure he noticed my tears, because he looked at me when he sang couple of lines, that’s what I want to believe anyway! It was lovely to hear so many Zep songs now as he didn’t play many of them with Alison. And these new songs are absolutely great. It is so touching to see how

Robert still loves to perform and how significantly happy he was as the audience really loved him and the band.

For me he seems somehow more relaxed now with these guys than with Alison, I don’t know if that is true but that’s how I felt. And by the way, his shirt was very well ironed!

All in all the whole evening was spectacular and I can’t wait to see him again.

These are fantastic and thrilling times for us Zep fans.

After the gig we went to a rock bar called Elm Street to have beer or five. It was actually an official after party and a Norweigian Zep tribute band

Gentle Groove played Zep songs for couple of hours. Unlike many of the tribute bands, they did not try to look like Robert or Jimmy, but to sound like them, and actually they were very good.

One very important thing, when you go abroad for a gig, is to meet new and amazing people, huge Zep fans of course. This band still means so very much to so many of us.

We met two American guys, US army soldiers, friends, one based in the Netherlands and the other one in Germany. They were supposed to go to Brussels gig but it was cancelled so they took flights to Oslo. They both had seen Plant over ten times and one of them attended the O2 reunion concert. Great guys. They told us about Afganistan and Iraq and Somalia, they have seen and experienced pretty heavy stuff and lost a lot of friends.

Then we met a young couple from St. Petersburg, Russia, they were on the same flight from Oslo to Helsinki. They were on the first row and had taken fantastic pics (they showed them) and promised to send me some by email. We were back in Helsinki today at 10.30 pm and they still had to drive four or five hours back to Russia. True fans!

Tiina Puska – October 17th 2010

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=7316

Ah yes, the fashion report component of a review. Chicks. B)

It read more like an amateurish review from a fan, thus the mention of Plant's attire, her husband's take and the writer's (and I use the word "writer" very loosely) activities post-concert.

Robert Plant, Usher Hall, Edinburgh

2010UsherHall.jpg

Vintage hit: Robert Plant gives the mature Usher Hall audience exactly what they wanted.

Keith Bruce

20 Oct 2010

When the former Led Zeppelin frontman turned alt-America trans-Atlantic crooner last played the Usher Hall he was 21 years old. At 63 he's still doing that twisty-legged dance with the mike stand and he's not too precious about his recent success to truck out the old hits. In fact, his faux senior moment introducing Zep's Rock'n'Roll was genuinely funny, and thankfully the guy behind me, who had been shouting for it, did not have heart failure as a result.

This was possibly the oldest rock'n'roll audience even I have ever been part of, and Robert Plant gave them what they wanted, while still showing plenty of respect to the American colleagues who make up his 2010 Band of Joy. So he sat back and played blues harp while guitarist and producer Buddy Miller took the spotlight, and provided backing vocals to Darrell Scott's Satisfied Mind and Patty Griffin's country gospel. This is one fine combo, with Scott a wizard on pedal steel, guitar, banjo and mandolin and Miller coaxing classic guitar sounds from an assortment of axes and vintage amplification.

For some of the time Plant was actually a little too high in the mix, because the vocal arrangements were another real pleasure. That was as much true of the whole ensemble as the duo of Plant and Griffin which matched Low's Sparhawk and Parker on the opening Monkey, made a rocker out of Raising Sand's Please Read the Letter, and refreshed the double-tracking on Misty Mountain Hop. It and Gallow's Pole were the best of the old Zeppelin tunes, sitting easiest with the material – some of it of much greater vintage – that is this band's reason for existing.

http://www.heraldsco...ksEnabled=false

Blown away by rock icon's mellow new mood - and some Led Zeppelin too

Published Date: 19 October 2010

By DAVID POLLOCK

ROBERT PLANT

USHER HALL, EDINBURGH

Usher2010.jpg**

Robert Plant's musical tastes have changed since his Led Zeppelin days, but he still put on an excellent show Picture: Ian Georgeson

The big question is, has Robert Plant still got it? He's still got plenty going for himself, of course, as his acclaimed recent album with Alison Krauss and now this Band of Joy project have shown.

But this is one of rock's true icons, a man whose noisy, virile, unwholesomely energetic time as the frontman of Led Zeppelin wrote the rulebook on truly bombastic live performance. We weren't here to be entertained, we were here to be blown away.

"Welcome to another exhausting night with the Band of Joy," he promised near the start of the show, which is probably something he would never have admitted to during his Led Zep days. His four-piece band are a photofit collection of session musicians of a certain age, all greying beards and neutral-toned shirts and denims (although backing singer Patty Griffin is a radiant presence, with a stunning black dress with a red spider's web pattern and an impeccable rock chick slouch). This was going to be a set to appease every classic rock fan, we could tell.

What impressed most, however, was the way it didn't just play to Plant's core audience from way back in the day. The singer, casual in blue denim jeans and shirt and wearing fading blond beard and shoulder-length hair with more style and dignity than should really be permitted, bounced between styles with assured ease. He performed open-hearted country folk on Please Read the Letter and a lazy, sexy, slide- propelled groove throughout Rich Woman, with Griffin more than capably deputising for Krauss on both.

There was a wave of rolling blues menace during the fearsomely titled Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down, a track from his new album, which adapts a traditional song to a new arrangement and set of lyrics, while some of his excellent band got a chance to shine. Griffin's Move Up was a slice of bristling soul excitement, Buddy Miller's Somewhere Trouble Don't Go was made from raw blues and Darrell Scott gave A Satisfied Mind a certain sense of broken-hearted country.

Through it all, however, one group of "covers" demanded more excitement than most. "And now to the days of oblivion,"was how Plant introduced the first Led Zep track of the evening, four songs in - Misty Mountain Hop, now restyled as a slice of bar-room country funk with an only slightly questionable wah wah interlude.

It was followed at various points by Tangerine, Houses of the Holy and Rock 'n' Roll, all remodelled to fit Plant's more mellow current tastes - the latter as a honky tonkin' bar-room brawler which raised people eagerly to their feet only as they recognised the lyric.

But perhaps the night's most affecting moment came with its finale, and a cover of the Incredible String Band's A Very Cellular Song that Plant had been promising himself since he last played this venue and first met the band in question way back in 1970. Much like the rest of this excellent show, it left the crowd truly blown away.

http://thescotsman.s...p?articlepage=2

Review

Liverpool Echo (Liverpool); Oct 22, 2010; Marc Waddington; p. 9 ROBERT Plant is without doubt deserving of his seat in the pantheon of rock and roll gods. So it was with much worship and adoration that the former Led Zeppelin frontman was met by a sell-out crowd at Liverpool's Olympia last night.

With a six-piece band and a retinue of roadies befitting a rock legend of his stature, he took to the stage in silhouette, and were it not for the lights revealing a road-weary, aged face, the curly hair and lank frame could have easily conned one into feeling they'd taken a trip back in time to when the amps really did go up to eleven.

His vocals, posture and stage presence were as they were nearly forty years ago. That highpitched, glass-on-sandpaper voice leading the charge as it rolled out hit after hit.

When you're backing a singer who has been used to playing with one of the greatest guitar heroes of all time - Jimmy Page - you've got to be something of a band to rise to the challenge, but the Band of Joy were equal to it.

Faithful to that Led Zeppelin sound, the mix of jangling 12-string acoustics with heavy, thudding tribal drums and furious, spitting electric guitar, the band were without doubt one of the tightest blues outfits you're likely to see grace this city's stages.

As much as Plant's former collective are famous for the mystical, folky sound of Tangerine (which sent the audience into near ecstasy) and Stairway to Heaven, this outing reminded of how very much of a blues aficionado he is. Amongst his troupe was blues legend Buddy Miller, who sang his soulful, weary Somewhere Trouble Don't Go, while the diminutive but powerful Patty Griffin belted out the haunting Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down.

Despite being one of the music industry's greatest showmen, fronting one of the world's biggest ever groups, Plant was not afraid to take the back seat.

There's a sense that he is more than willing to play second fiddle when necessary. In fact, he even played the washboard at times.

Led Zeppelin got their name from Who drummer Keith Moon, who, when asked how he thought the New Yardbirds (of which Jimmy Page was a member) would be received, sarcastically said they'd go down like a lead balloon.

And, appreciative though last night's crowd was, there's no doubt Plant's joke about "changing into his shell-suit" went down like one.

8/10 Whole lorra love

Plant's band a real joy

Evening Chronicle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne); Oct 21, 2010; DAVE MORTON; p. 36 ROBERT PLANT, THE SAGE GATESHEAD

IT'S probably to Robert Plant's lasting frustration that the bulk of fans who come to see him wish he was still fronting that little quartet who were rather popular in the 1970s - and still are to this day, in fact.

Sadly that band's drum genius, John Bonham, drank himself into an early grave in 1980 and the mighty Led Zeppelin's twelve-year flight was over.

Zep's cataclysmic one-off reunion at London's 02 Arena in 2007, when millions of fans, including this reviewer, applied online for just 18,000 tickets gave a clue of what might still be possible.

But Plant, true to form, remained unmoved, turning down countless millions to tour the stadiums of America with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham's drummer son, Jason, one last time.

But we must be thankful for small mercies - and it's all credit to Robert Plant that he has chosen to plough his own artistic furrow, and turn his back on the greatest hits cabaret circus so many of his peers have embraced. (Rod Stewart and Elton John anyone?) But Plant can still shift a few units, arriving at the Sage on the back of his album, Band of Joy, hitting top five on both sides of the Atlantic.

The screeching rock god persona of the '70s is long gone and Plant's voice is mellower these days, yet no less effective.

At a sold-out Sage, an appreciative audience patiently sat through The Band of Joy's blend of country/blues/folk and roots music.

From the eponymous album came faultless takes of Angel Dance, House of Cards, Monkey, Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down and the jaunty You Can't Buy My Love, which is surely the long-lost brother of the Beatles' Can't Buy Me Love.

Around the same time as the 02 Arena concert saw rock fans around the globe screaming for a full-on Zep reunion tour, Plant was quietly achieving great success with Raising Sand, the multi-million-selling, Grammy-winning collaboration with Alison Krauss.

Tonight, from that album, came shimmering versions of Rich Woman and Please Read The Letter. For those in the know, The Band Of Joy was the Midlands group Plant was in as a teenager - along with John Bonham - before Jimmy Page and Zeppelin came calling.

2010's Band Of Joy is made up of seasoned, American, big-name country-blues players. With Buddy Miller on guitar and Patty Griffin on vocals, it sounded like Gateshead had suddenly become a suburb of Nashville.

Some of the four-part harmonies were astounding, with Plant even playing the harmonica and washboard at different parts of the evening.

For years, the singer refused to play any Led Zep songs in his shows, but even he has come to admit the importance of his musical legacy. And so, if you were listening carefully, there were country-blues takes of In My Time Of Dying, Misty Mountain Hop, Houses of The Holy, Tangerine and Gallows Pole.

There was no Whole Lotta Love and definitely no Stairway To Heaven, but there was a rollicking Rock and Roll, showing that Robert can still hit those high notes.

A great night and great band, Mr Plant, but somehow, even after all these years, I still can't stop dreaming of seeing Messrs Page, Jones and Bonham behind you.

Archived