Robert Plant 2010 Tour

Cardiff tonight. :D

Don't know if it's been mentioned but The Electric Proms show on Friday is being broadcast live at 8pm (British time) on BBC Radio 2. Also on 6th November on BBC Two (TV, not radio) there's a Robert Plant night with a new documentary. Should be good.

On a different note - those videos from The Forum are brilliant, hope there's a DVD at some point in the future.

Just back from the concert. Best show I've ever seen. :D Highlight for me was Tangerine, one of my all time favourite Zeppelin tracks and thought I'd never hear it live.

Have to say the new material is mindblowing, I'm loving the new album more and more although have to say the tracks are best heard live. Really hope this Band Of Joy project is a long term thing.

Just back from the concert. Best show I've ever seen. :D Highlight for me was Tangerine, one of my all time favourite Zeppelin tracks and thought I'd never hear it live.

Have to say the new material is mindblowing, I'm loving the new album more and more although have to say the tracks are best heard live. Really hope this Band Of Joy project is a long term thing.

That's fantastic! It is an amazing show and the band are tops. Clear to see they mesh well together and I agree - would be great to see them continue.

It was a great gig, the band and audience seemed up for it. Robert's singing was fantastic, none more so than on Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down. I was surprised by how tight the security was though - no cameras! I sneaked mine through though...

Robert Plant at Birmingham Symphony Hall

Thursday 28th October 2010, 10:18AM BST.

Robert-Plant.jpg Robert Plant with his Band of Joy Birmingham Symphony HallRobert Plant and the Band of Joy

Birmingham Symphony Hall

Concert review by Ian Harvey

Led Zeppelin legend Robert Plant brought nothing but joy to his “homecoming” concert at Birmingham Symphony Hall.

The singer has resurrected the name Band of Joy from the pre-Led Zep Midlands blues outfit he formed with drummer John Bonham in the 60s, but last night’s sell-out concert was way more than just the blues.

Instead the hall rang out with the sounds of his other musical love, American roots music – from rockabilly to soul, gospel to country and bluegrass to rock, Plant’s inimitable vocals floating over the top.

“Welcome to another peculiar evening with the Band Of Joy,” he smiled, looking around the venue and adding “Don’t be intimidated by the environment.”

The sound throughout was stunning, with Angel Dance featuring a spellbinding five-part vocal harmony, something which was to be repeated to great effect throughout the night.

Plant showed he is still the master of pulling rock star shapes . . . he invented many of them, after all.

House Of Cards was awe-inspiring, while Please Read The Letter, from his Grammy Award-winning Raising Sand album with Alison Kraus, took on a harder, darker edge live, this time with Patty Griffin sharing vocal duties.

Plant recalled going to various blues gigs in the 60s at Birmingham Town Hall, particularly Blind Gary Davies, whose Twelve Gates To The City he then sang.

The star, smiling and genial throughout, was even happy to step to the back of the stage and provide backing vocals on three occasions to let Griffin and guitarists Buddy Miller, and Darrell Scott take over lead vocals and a well-deserved share of the limelight.

And then there were, of course, the Led Zep “covers”, complete reinventions of songs like Misty Mountain Hop, Houses Of The Holy, Gallows Pole and Rock & Roll that saw a battery of instruments from mandolin, banjo, pedal steel guitar, double bass and washboard paint familiar classics in whole new colours, the effect both eerie and mesmerising in turn.

The evening ended with just the voices of all six band members entwining for And We Bid You Goodnight and, after an hour and forty minutes, that is precisely what they did.

Robert Plant and the Band of Joy live - Tangerine - Birmingham 10/27/2010

:)

Enojoyed a good night at the Palace Theatre in Manchester last night. A great little venue, and I had seats in row 10 with my wife (who isn't a Plant or Zep fan btw). I am happy to say that she enjoyed the night too.

Setlist

Down to the Sea

Angel Dance

House Of Cards

Please Read The Letter

Misty Mountain Hop

Twelve Gates To The City/Wade In The Water/In My Time Of Dying

Tangerine

Somewhere Trouble Don't Go

A Satisfied Mind

Move Up

Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

Central Two-O-Nine

Monkey

Houses of the Holy

You Can't Buy My Love

Tall Cool One

Gallows Pole

Harm's Swift Way

Rock & Roll

And We Bid You Goodnight

Just in from the Plant gig at the Olympia, Dublin. For the Zepgeeks, it seemed to be the same set as in Manchester (listed above). Crowd was 65% grey. Sound was OK - the bass seemed lost from where I was standing. Plant was in good form. Buddy Miller is an ace on the guitar - some beautiful flurries and sounds. I really liked the different arrangements of HOTH, MMH and R&R, but is was perplexing that they were all done in the same kind of style - they could've pushed the envelope a bit more. Ah, I'm nitpicking perhaps.

Overall? BOJ in concert lacks some of the beefiness and wildness of the Strange Sensation, and even considering the cool Nashville roots and top class musicians, left this listener wishing for a bit more ooomph! Still, it had some great moments: Tall Cool One was fab fun.

First Night: Robert Plant Olympia Theatre

By Chris Wasser

Tuesday November 02 2010

A WARM cup of tea and some polite words for his followers -- just some of the makings of a world famous rock star, right?

Well, not exactly.

Which is probably why Robert Plant deserves both our attention and, indeed, our respect.

Fair enough, there are those of a more sane-minded nature who will agree that turning down a couple of hundred million squids to get the old band back together is perhaps the most unquestionable sign of complete and utter lunacy.

For the rest of us (ie, those who reckon the world is fine the way it is without a geriatric Led Zeppelin traipsing about the place), it doesn't take long to realise that Plant is better off the way he is; a wise old man whose explorations into an altogether more delicate surrounding than that of his most famous set-up, was the smartest move of them all. Suits the wrinkles better, too.

After raising more than just sand with the brilliant Alison Krauss in 2007, Plant has yet again displayed one of the many pros of ageing gracefully in the music world by assembling the excellent Band of Joy (an old project with a brand new line-up) for a well-received album that hit shelves in September.

Is he a better folk rocker than a heavy metal singer? Are we to believe that he actually doesn't dream about hitting the road with Zeppelin for a gargantuan trek across the globe?

Does it really matter?

After all, he's just ... cool.

And that's not something you could say about every other beard-wearing 62-year-old man with a peculiar dance and a glorious set of natural curls hanging from his scalp.

Shuffling his way through various sounds of folk, rock, and bluegrass, Plant is in some very fine company with his new group, not least the delectable vocal cords of the superb Patty Griffin.

And then there's multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott, whose wonderful playing throughout adds depth and sparkle to a paced yet powerful set of songs.

Of course, most people have turned out for Robert; a warm, comfortable, and often playful performer with his audience.

Vocally, he remains in great shape, and while Griffin, Scott, and the exceptional Buddy Miller on guitar, each share some moments in the spotlight, Plant is still well able to hold his own, spreading his tongue across songs from his own catalogue as well as traditional numbers, and covers by the likes of US indie outfit Low (Monkey) and Richard Thompson (House of Cards).

Inevitably, the set also includes a couple of Zeppelin tunes, including Tangerine and a rollicking rendition of the fantastic Rock and Roll.

A rich and most colourful display of flawless musicianship and unique professionalism from beginning to end, an evening in the company of Robert Plant and his appropriately christened Band of Joy may not be enough for those still crossing their fingers and toes for the Zeppelin tour that is just never going to happen.

But I'll tell you one thing -- it's a damn fine consolation prize.

Star Rating: *****

http://www.herald.ie...nt-2403688.html

Robert Plant

By Kevin Courtney

Wed, Nov 03, 2010

Olympia, Dublin

Here's one old bull they can't corral. Robert Plant has stubbornly resisted all attempts to cajole him into a Led Zeppelin reunion tour, preferring to plough his own furrow, which these days runs somewhere between Nashville, New Orleans and Haight-Ashbury. Still, most of the fans at the Olympia are holding out hope that, among the country-rock, gospel and Americana nuggets he pulls out tonight, a few crumbs of Zeppelin will drop too.

Even when singing with superhuman restraint, Plant dominates the stage, his long tresses tumbling down over his bear-like torso, and his voice commanding the attention. He's backed by the Band Of Joy, playfully named after the band he and John Bonham were in before Jimmy Page poached them for the New Yardbirds. Lead guitarist Buddy Miller plays the psychedelic sidekick, all decked out like Naboo in The Mighty Boosh , while vocalist Patty Griffin looks like she could blow away on a light breeze – until she starts singing up a storm.

Many of the songs are built on a single-note refrain that builds up in intensity, then suddenly releases – Plant's face tightens as he draws in all the tension from the song; when the band lets it all go, it's like a noose has just been cut. Los Lobos's Angel Dance and Richard Thompson's House Of Cards are fine choices of song, allowing Plant to weave his voice around the instruments in a nifty hoedown through musical history. There's a nod to his and Alison Krauss's Grammy-winning Raising Sand album in Please Read The Letter , but already Plant has moved on from that collaboration, rambling on wherever his wanton muse takes him.

A twanging, rockabilly arrangement of Misty Mountain Hop takes the crowd by surprise, but by the end of the song, everyone is singing the end refrain of "I really don't know/ I really don't know. . ." Well, if he was gonna do them by the book, he might as well have gone ahead and rejoined Zeppelin. Tangerine needs no rejigging, just a little pedal steel to add Appalachian flavour, while Gallows Pole kind of cries out for a different arrangement each time.

He finally lets his voice off the leash on Rock 'N' Roll , but more memorable are the tunes where Plant's voice prowls and growls, such as Monkey, Harm's Swift Way and Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down .

© 2010 The Irish Times

Original review at Irish Times' website

• 2 weeks later...

ASHEVILLE The city will open the new year with yet another major rock show, as former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant and his Band of Joy begin their 2011 tour Jan. 18 at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium. It's Plant's second time here, following a 2008 date with bluegrass star Alison Krauss at the Civic Center arena.

Tickets ($46, $61 and $76) go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday at the Civic Center box office, and through Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at 800-745-3000. Ticketmaster sales will include a processing charge.Given the small size of Wolfe Auditorium (up to 2,431 seats depending on configuration), and Plant's front-row place in rock history, the show will likely be a quick sellout. The Civic Center and Wolfe Auditorium have seen a string of sold-out shows, including singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens, Elton John and the Dec. 11 Warren Haynes Christmas Jams.

Plant is promoting his latest recording, "Band of Joy." The show here features artists on that album: Patty Griffin, Darrel Scott, Byron House, Marco Giovino and Buddy Miller. The North Mississippi All-Stars open.

After starting the tour here, Plant moves on to bigger cities, including Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston, New York and Washington, D.C.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The 2011 leg of the tour opens tonight.....according to the concert schedule

HAVE A GREAT TOUR....

Juliet :wave:

PS Ooooppps I see the title of this thread is 2010 tour....oh well......I still wish you and BAND OF JOY a super time

I think you will be safe and yes good luck Robert with the the next leg of your tour.

I attended the tour opener in Asheville, NC last night. Here are my thoughts:

1. Robert's voice is well suited to this style he is exploring. He has really matured vocally and had great control & pitch all night.

2. he sounds great with Patti Griffin, in fact vocally the whole group sounded wonderful harmonizing together.

3. Buddy Miller coaxed some really eerie vintage sounds out of his guitar, nice work.

4. Darrell Scott is amazing, and to me, after Robert, the star of the show. What a great singer he is, too!

5. Musically, it was very nice, not like "OMG this is AMAZING!", but more like, this is very entertaining and well played. Good songs.

6. The Zep tunes were done really well, my faves were Houses of the Holy and he did a great version of Ramble On.

After seeing this show, which I wasn't even going to go to, but I got a last minute free ticket, I respect Robert even more for going in this direction, but I'm still not a huge fan of it and have no plans to buy the CD. But it's great to see him out there and still sounding fresh and like he's having fun after all these years.

lastly, Jimmy seriously needs to consider doing a nice theatre size tour if he ever decides to tour at all. What a perfect venue, 2000 seats, packed, great atmosphere.

Archived