Rate the Song Above You

MMAharaja

Townes is more well known as a songwriter than a performer, tons of artists have recorded his material over the years including Robert Plant who included a Townes song on each of his past two records ("Nothin'" from Raising Sand & "Harm's Swift Way" from Band of Joy). Sadly, Townes died on New Year's Day 1997 after years of alcohol and substance abuse. If you're interested in learning more about him I highly recommend the Heartworn Highways documentary (which also covers other singer/songwriters such as Steve Earle, Steve Young [probably best known for "Seven Bridges Road"], Guy Clark, Charlie Daniels and Guy Clark). Also well worth viewing is the documentary on Townes himself called Be Here To Love Me.

Also recommend the documentary and it's free to watch here.

I give the Hayes Carll song an 8.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnh1ebbNoZc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was never really a big fan of Wilco in the 90's and thats a pretty bland peice of pop IMHO, 5.

They became much more interesting as there career progressed IMHO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETD9d5BDs1A

While I like Sky Blue Sky and "Impossible Germany", I think the opposite is true. If anything, their last couple of records are very unadventurous, especially compared to summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. They may not have been breaking any new ground with "Outta Site (Outta Mind)" but I can't say I hear anything "bland" about it.

7, catchy little song, reminds me a bit of....

While I like Sky Blue Sky and "Impossible Germany", I think the opposite is true. If anything, their last couple of records are very unadventurous, especially compared to summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. They may not have been breaking any new ground with "Outta Site (Outta Mind)" but I can't say I hear anything "bland" about it.

I was talking more about the first couple of albums which were hyped when I was "following the scene", never really liked them back then and as a result I didnt bother to lgo back and listen to what they put out afterwards until more recently. As far as bland goes it just strikes me as rather stragiht ahead indie rock thats really not that catchy.

I was talking more about the first couple of albums which were hyped when I was "following the scene", never really liked them back then and as a result I didnt bother to lgo back and listen to what they put out afterwards until more recently. As far as bland goes it just strikes me as rather stragiht ahead indie rock thats really not that catchy.

I was aware of Wilco circa A.M. but didn't really start listening to them until summerteeth. That's when the first real change in their sound took place. Most of what they did up until then was a continuation of what Tweedy had been doing with Uncle Tupelo, meaning a mix of country, country rock and straight ahead rock n' roll. As for "indie rock", I still don't know what that means. To my ears, one can still play no frills rock a la "Outta Site (Outta Mind)" without it being bland.

Didn't really care for the Magnetic Fields song, it's a bit twee for my tastes. I give it a 3.2 and an eighth.

8, you've convinced me to take a look at McMurty's wider career, unlike alot of americana he does seem to be "of his time" rather than mere revivalism.

It's very hard to go wrong with anything by McMurtry. He's definitely one of my favorite songwriters these days. You may have also noticed none other than Ian McLagan playing keys on that cut. He sat in with James for the entire European tour that album (Live In Europe) comes from.

Again, not really the type of music that trips my trigger but it rocks just enough to give it a 7.8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RP6X4Iuv0

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived