Rank of Electric Guitarists

Just got back from vacation. I'm glad that BB got the nod. At this point there are a few people who I would be happy with. Jerry Garcia is right up there for me. SRV should also be considered. I also agree with Electrophile that Joe Walsh should be coming up soon. I think he's getting left out because his work with the Eagles wasn't really "guitar heavy". However 'Life's been good' and 'Rocky Mountain Way' have incredible sounds.

Chuck Berry, Frank Zappa and Johnny Winter should also be considered soon.

I'll sleep on this and give you a definitive vote for number 9 soon.

Joe Walsh should be considered more for his work outside the Eagles than anything he did while in the band. His abilities while in the Eagles, aside from the song Hotel California, were basically neutered. The guy who did Turn To Stone was not the guy in that band.

Very apt of you. I think I could have chosen Berry or Garcia today without gripes from anybody (my personal choice is between them, and I'm betting that one of them is going to take the rank), and Zappa has also gained considerable support. Still, I don't feel comfortable without recent input.

Again this is my fault for not consistently appearing on Saturdays and sometimes not contributing my opinion.

I vote for Chuck (the Duck) next. Arguably the inventor of Rock and Roll.

I think at this point it would be a good time to revisit Ritchie Blackmore.

"When it comes to throwing lead solos. Ritchie Blackmore is a yardstick ahead of me.' Jimmy Page -Guitar Magazine 1973

Joe Walsh should be considered more for his work outside the Eagles than anything he did while in the band. His abilities while in the Eagles, aside from the song Hotel California, were basically neutered. The guy who did Turn To Stone was not the guy in that band.

I still think that all considered he made far more money and was in the spotlight alot more WITH the Eagles than without them. I like his solo work as well, but he could never be in the same league as the Eagles on his own. As for the list, I don't see how anyone can put Henrix ahead of Jimmy Page. Or anyone else. To me Page is far and away the best of all time.

Money and spotlight is irrelevant to me. I'm talking about the actual music he played/created. If you listen to his work in The James Gang, Barnstorn and then his solo stuff and then listen to the albums he did while in the Eagles, it sounds like two different guitarists. I don't deny what he did while in the Eagles, some of the stuff he did I really like. I just happen to think that his better work was done while not in the group or not under the banner of the Eagles. He was a marquee guitarist/artist before he was asked to join the group -- in fact, they were hoping his rock cred would help move them from a country rock tilt to a more hard rock sound....and it didn't really happen. Joe Walsh was hardly an unknown quantity before Glenn Frey asked him to join his band.

As for Page.....I like his work, otherwise I wouldn't be a fan of Led Zeppelin's music, but I don't believe he was the greatest guitarist of all-time. My own list would look a lot different than the one currently running, but Hendrix would be at #1 on mine and quite deservedly so.

Money and spotlight is irrelevant to me. I'm talking about the actual music he played/created. If you listen to his work in The James Gang, Barnstorn and then his solo stuff and then listen to the albums he did while in the Eagles, it sounds like two different guitarists. I don't deny what he did while in the Eagles, some of the stuff he did I really like. I just happen to think that his better work was done while not in the group or not under the banner of the Eagles. He was a marquee guitarist/artist before he was asked to join the group -- in fact, they were hoping his rock cred would help move them from a country rock tilt to a more hard rock sound....and it didn't really happen. Joe Walsh was hardly an unknown quantity before Glenn Frey asked him to join his band.

I love the song "Help Me Through the Night" off of Hell Freezes Over. I dont know if he wrote it while with the Eagles or before? But I like that one alot.

Do you have a link to that comment by Page?

Nope. Sorry Rock Historian, I can't find it anywhere. You caught me with my links down.

Back in the day before the net, I would buy anything that I thought had anything to do with Page or Zep.

I guess I thought I read it at some point. I still stand by my choice at this point of Ritchie Blackmore.

I hope we can still be friends even tho I'm a big fat liar. :(

Nope. Sorry Rock Historian, I can't find it anywhere. You caught me with my links down.

Back in the day before the net, I would buy anything that I thought had anything to do with Page or Zep.

I guess I thought I read it at some point. I still stand by my choice at this point of Ritchie Blackmore.

I hope we can still be friends even tho I'm a big fat liar. :(

I like Blackmore myself, he's great. But I didn't think Page ever said that, so yeah, I caught you with no proof in hand...no biggie.

So where's the tally at these days snake?

I think Blackmore deserves a lot of discussion. If not in the top 10, then right after it. Some of his earlier work is amazing.

PS I started a similar thread to this one that discusses drummers. So feel free to add your input!

Sorry I haven't been on this thread most of the week.

Just wanted to say that I'm for Jerry Garcia taking the next spot.

Well it' your thread so it's up to you....A good choice..a nice bit of diversity so go for it.

Although nobody really received huge support from a lot of people, I think Chuck Berry got enough support to justify inclusion as the latest addition to the list.

#9 - Chuck Berry.

Berry was the first guitar hero, the first guitarist to achieve recognition for his lead work. He is synonymous with rock, in particular the initial '50s type sound (which Berry did better than anyone). There were other notable guitarists from the '50s working out new guitar tricks that would be utilized by hordes of players later, but none of them were as accessible or iconic as Berry. He unified the sounds that were coming together in the late '40s and early '50s into rock-and-roll. Berry was born into a large middle-class African-American family in St. Louis. He got into guitar-playing while still young, but served a term in a correctional facility for stealing a car, and was released on his 21st birthday. While playing clubs, Berry took blues and country and fused them together into his own style which would attract both black and white audiences. Berry signed onto Chess Records who were looking for a new kind of sound. Berry was their man: his first single, "Maybellene", was a gigantic hit, and is often pinned as the first rock song. Berry's sound had already found a niche in the industry, and every R&B musician was taking note of it. His follow-up, "Roll Over Beethoven", was also succesful. Berry toured with Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers for a tour organized by pioneering rock disc-jockey Alan Freed, and Berry had a bunch of other hits, including "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "Johnny B. Goode". Berry was getting huge when he served another term in prison for violation of the Mann Act. This marked the end of his heyday. After his release, Berry had his final taste of success with the novelty song "My Ding-a-Ling" in 1972. He was on the receiving end of criticism regarding his acrimonious disposition to long-time fan Keith Richards at a music festival made in honor of Berry's sixtieth birthday. Berry continued to tour erratically into the '80s and '90s. To this day, Berry will appear at a club in St. Louis once a month.

#9 - Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode".

I don't even need to give an explanation, do I?

Rank of Electric Guitarists

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

#6 - David Gilmour.

#7 - Duane Allman.

#8 - Riley "B.B." King.

#9 - Chuck Berry.

Eddie Van Halen above Beck, Clapton and Gilmour?

I don't think so.

Compare EVH's body of work and innovations (the tapping thing was done by Beck before Eddie was even born) to the above three, no contest.

EVH No. 11, maybe.

1. Jimmy Page / Jimi Hendrix

Too close to call on any given day they were capable of being great and others not so and that's why I love them both above these so called technical guitarists.

2. Jeff Beck

3. David Gilmour

4. Rory Gallagher

5. Eric Clapton

6. Frank Zappa

7. Robin Trower

8. BB King

9. Les Paul

10. Tommy Emmanuel

Eddie Van Halen above Beck, Clapton and Gilmour?

I don't think so.

Compare EVH's body of work and innovations (the tapping thing was done by Beck before Eddie was even born) to the above three, no contest.

EVH No. 11, maybe.

You are correct in stipulating that Van Halen was placed at #3 because of his tapping. The reasoning behind such a high position is that Van Halen, changed how people used the guitar utilizing double-handed tapping with the release of Van Halen. Van Halen's position represents one of the biggest reinventions of rock guitar-playing (namely the use of tapping to the extent that he used it, regardless of prior use) since Hendrix's popularization of feedback (which, like tapping, was in use before he played). I think that justifies his position at #3. I love Beck, Clapton, and Gilmour, and in terms of influence, I think it would have been reasonable to put Beck or Clapton at #3 (as great as Gilmour is, I don't know I'd put him above Beck, Clapton, or Van Halen).

1. Jimmy Page / Jimi Hendrix

Too close to call on any given day they were capable of being great and others not so and that's why I love them both above these so called technical guitarists.

2. Jeff Beck

3. David Gilmour

4. Rory Gallagher

5. Eric Clapton

6. Frank Zappa

7. Robin Trower

8. BB King

9. Les Paul

10. Tommy Emmanuel

My thoughts on your list:

1. Jimmy Page / Jimi Hendrix - Well I'm basically with you there. The whole list is subjective, but when you think "supreme electric guitarist", Page and Hendrix are definitely two of the guys who you shortlist. I wouldn't have minded seeing Page at #1, nor would I be surprised (this is a Led Zeppelin forum after all). Fortunately most of the people on this thread had the same reaction as you: even those who may have wanted Page didn't mind seeing Hendrix at #1.

2. Jeff Beck - I got to see him live recently, so I can testify that he is goddam amazing. Wouldn't mind seeing him at #2, although personally I prefer Page and Clapton.

3. David Gilmour - One of my favorites, but I wouldn't put him above Clapton. I would put him in the top ten, which is where he is currently and rightfully.

4. Rory Gallagher - #4? I don't agree, no offense. Again, not above Clapton.

5. Eric Clapton - I'd put him at #3 or #4. He's #5 on the official list right now.

6. Frank Zappa - Incredibly talented when considered as a musician. Incredibly underrated when considered as a guitarist. I like Zappa, and would probably put him within the top twenty-five, but not within the top ten.

7. Robin Trower - The dude from Procul Harum? I'd bet money that he'll make the top 100 (not much money though), but I have no idea where. If it's any help, on Digital Dream Door's list of greatest rock guitarists, he's #99.

8. B.B. King - That's where he is on our list, so I hope you're happy with that.

9. Les Paul - Yeah, this dude is top twenty-five material at least.

10. Tommy Emmanuel - Not familiar with his work, so we'll see about him.

I'd like to see Jerry Garcia at #10. Brilliant, oft-underrated player for the Grateful Dead, America's best jam band.

Some statistics:

* Highest guitarist on Rolling Stone's list who isn't on ours: Robert Johnson (#5).

* Highest electric guitarist on Rolling Stone's list who isn't on ours: Stevie Ray Vaughan (#7).

* Highest electric guitarist on Digital Dream Door's rock list who isn't on ours: Ritchie Blackmore (#6).

* Highest electric guitarist on Digital Dream Door's metal list who isn't on ours: Tony Iommi (#1).

* Next fifteen electric guitarists on Rolling Stone's list who aren't on ours:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan (#7).

2. Ry Cooder (#8).

3. Keith Richards (#10).

4. Kirk Hammett (#11).

5. Kurt Cobain (#12).

6. Jerry Garcia (#13).

7. Carlos Santana (#15).

8. Johnny Ramone (#16).

9. Jack White (#17).

10. John Frusciante (#18).

11. Richard Thompson (#19).

12. James Burton (#20).

13. George Harrison (#21).

14. Mike Bloomfield (#22).

15. Warren Haynes (#23).

I'll second the nomination of John Jerome "Jerry" Garcia for the number ten spot!!!

His ability to lead a band is unparalleled. The way he could push the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band to one peaking creshendo after another was nothing short of breathtaking. And he could jam any style with anybody. Saw him jam "Latin" style with Carlos, heard him doing jazz with Ornette (Colman!) and bluegrass with David Grisman.

Can we get Joe Walsh into the top 10? I'd have loved to see him higher than that, but he deserves #10 in my opinion. I found some new videos of the songs I think warrant his inclusion in the list, so rather than re-posting the old ones, I'll give you the new ones. I think they're better anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARl_ri55Ad4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF2OP_gFsz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZUU8xi7qY

Archived