3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Van Halen

6)Ritchie Blackmore

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Satriani

9)Brian May

10)Robert Johnson

I'd like to mention that I thought we were talking about influential guitarists, not our favorite guitarists, you know. I personally listen a lot more to Slash, Angus Young or SRV than to some of those guys on the list, but they were far more influential than my favorite guitar players.

Personally I don't have a problem with the list as it is now, although I don't consider BB King a great guitarist...

My take on your top ten (is this pissing anyone off yet?):

1. Jimi Hendrix - Agreed.

2. Jimmy Page - Great top two so far.

3. Eric Clapton - I've always been preferential to placing Van Halen at #3, but I love Clapton (and Beck - they tie at #4/#5 for me).

4. Chuck Berry - Nothing wrong with placing Berry within the top five, especially from a rock perspective (hell, the dude who provides Rolling Stone's top 100 guitarists says he'd put Berry at #1).

5. Eddie Van Halen - Like I said, I'd place him at #3, but this is good.

6. Ritchie Blackmore - Great rock guitarist who is a peer to Clapton, Beck, and Page (if not quite as influential or skillful I think).

7. David Gilmour - Fair assessment.

8. Joe Satriani - Will go down in music as one of the greats. And I want to see him in the top twenty-five. The only question for me (maybe not for you) is who should be higher: Satriani or Vai? The master or the apprentice? Satriani for influence, Vai for skill. Who knows?

9. Brian May - Definitely a favorite of mine. Also more influential than a lot of people recognize.

10. Robert Johnson - A blues legend (almost litterally when you consider how little we know about him). But I'd like to point out that Johnson isn't an electric guitarist (my apologies if you were just listing your top ten regardless of the acoustic/electric difference).

Hmm (give me a minute to think this over)... the word greatest can cover contributions to the form, skill, influence, iconicity, and probably a dozen other things which I'm not considering. Certainly when I made my top ten, I was basing it on this loose definition of "greatness", not just who I liked the most. Of course, I'm not criticizing anybody if they made their list based on who their favorite was. No problem with that either. I want everybody to be smart (intelligent, economical, etc.) when considering who they want to nominate, but they should also listen to their souls.

Can you correct me if Im wrong? After the 10th ranked guitarist is named we will make our own list 11-20 and tally up those votes based on points?

Or are we supposed to re-rank the original top 10?

Both. Well, first we're just going to go about the usual business and decide who should be #10 (Jerry Garcia's currently in the lead). Then I'm going to use the week to let people rearrange the top ten, as well as go beyond the top ten to name other guitarists. We'll be using a point system: for the rearrangement of the top ten, #1 is 10 points, #2 is 9 points, etc. until we hit #10 and below, which are all 1 point. I couldn't possibly tell you how this will work in the long run, but it seems good for now. I'll try to keep everybody informed on how the list is working, and I promise that if I make any changes, it will only be to make it easier. I've got some other thoughts about how to organize the thread running through my mind, but I'm still working them out, and I believe this point system (suggested by chef free) is going to stay. We'll see.

Any other points of confusion, just ask.

Tomorrow's the day. I'm not going to lie: Jerry Garcia has the most support currently. Chances are he will be placed at #10 unless there's a good amount of support by multiple people for another guitarist by tomorrow. When (well technically if) I put Garcia, then I implore everybody to rearrange the top ten according to their own perspective, whilst nominating another guitarist whom they would like to see in the list. There will be periodic opportunities for rearrangements, but please note that we will not stop adding guitarists to the official list on Fridays regardless of whether a rearrangement is taking place.

I have been wondering if it might not be a good idea to make the list open to acoustic guitarists as well as electric guitarists. Let's face it, when it's already open to electric guitarists of all genres, it would just be hypocritical to deny somebody because they are operating in a genre which may not be primarily electric (folk, blues, bluegrass, jazz, country), so it makes me question the validity of making the list exclusively electric. When I began this thread, I was naively expecting that the list would be based purely on a classic rock point-of-view, but I now think it might be a good idea to make all guitarists legible regardless of their method of amplification. I suggest that we open the list to acoustic guitarists at #50, because I'd like to see where the list goes from there with 50 great electric guitarists already on it. Please tell me how you feel about this idea. There are plenty of great acoustic guitarists out there.

I'll use the remainder of this post to give a brief explanation of why I think Jerry Garcia should be #10 because I really haven't given a good reason. Garcia is a symbol of the preservation of folk tradition in rock music to me, something which is sadly ignored in so many modern bands. The Grateful Dead were jam-based; they incorporated folk, blues, and bluegrass into lengthy performances of their material. They were and are completely unique in rock-and-roll history.

I'm here a bit earlier than I thought I'd be. As I said before, Garcia was getting the most support.

#10 - Jerry Garcia.

Garcia incorporated more folk traditions (including country and bluegrass) than most rock guitarists even care to bother. He was a key member of the Grateful Dead, an American band rooted primarily in folk and known for jamming songs out with plenty of room for improvisation. Both of his parents were musicians, so Garcia was brought into that world at birth. Garcia lost part of his right middle finger in a woodcutting accident. After his father drowned while flyfishing. His mother had to take possession of the bar his father had owned, and sent the Garcia children to live with their maternal grandparents until she remarried. Throughout this, Garcia's interest in music was encouraged. As Garcia learned about life, he learned about music, and at some point he began smoking marijuana. After stealing his mother's car as a young adult, Garcia was forced to join the Army which he didn't bother to participate in until given a general discharge. It was around this time that he met Robert Hunter, who would collaborate with the Grateful Dead on lyrics. Soon he was involved in a car accident, which made Garcia reconsider his life: he decided he was going to play guitar professionally. He was playing folk material in a band with Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (keyboard player). Garcia and McKernan, along with Bob Weir (vocals and rhythm guitar), Phil Lesh (bassist) and Phil Kreutzmann (drums) would become the first lineup of the Grateful Dead (a named suggested by Garcia and initially rejected by the other members). Garcia used his life experience to contribute songwriting to the band, although he wasn't exclusive about it. His interplay with rhythm guitarist Weir was strong and the band's ability to jam was memorable. Garcia found time for collaborations and his personal project the Jerry Garcia Band. Garcia was overweight and had long harbored an addiction to drugs which led to a five day diabetic coma in 1986. The Grateful Dead toured long and hard over thirty years which included twelve members, and achieved success at a federal level when the song "Truckin'" was named a national treasure. The Grateful Dead are admired for playing from through times good and bad until Garcia's death in 1995 brought on by his lifelong health problems. The surviving members reunited in 1998 as the Other Ones which became the Dead (without the "Grateful") in 2003. Garcia is fondly remembered by the music community.

#10 - Jerry Garcia - "Truckin'".

I'm going with "Truckin'" because it showcases Garcia's guitar-playing best and it completely sums up the Grateful Dead's attitude.

Rank of Electric Guitarists

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

#6 - David Gilmour.

#7 - Duane Allman.

#8 - Riley "B.B." King.

#9 - Chuck Berry.

#10 - Jerry Garcia.

Can Joe Walsh make the list now? LOL

He should have been in the top 10. dry.gif

Well... how should I put this? This thread is actually monopolized by me, with all my supporters being puppet accounts. Oft times I will throw in a guitarist I do not support to appease the masses, but the main priority of this thread is so that I can slowly manipulate people into listening to my opinion. You should consider yourself lucky that I haven't taken control of your account yet.

Anyways, serious now, sorry about that man. I don't know how long you'll have to vouch for him before he makes the list.

1. Jimmy Page (easily)

2. Clapton

3. Rhodes

4. Dicky Betts

5. Hendrix (

6. Perry

7. Santana

8. Allman

9. Beck

10.tie Richard, Harrison, Townsend, Walsh, Iomi, Blackmore, and more.

Welcome to the thread. By Rhodes, I'm guessing you mean Randy Rhoads (the name sounds ambiguous, but everywhere I've seen it spelled as "Rhoads")? We've got some new things going on in terms of choosing the next guitarist (reading the next paragraph will help).

A point of interest for everybody: Aside from listing your rearrangement of the official top ten, list your personal top ten excluding those on the official top ten. I've also decided that we're not going to hold rearrangements every ten people (asking somebody to rank ten people is fine, twenty is okay, thirty's pushing it, but when it gets to forty, nobody's gonna want to do it). I'm going to work out a system so that a guitarist is placed fairly (suggestions on this would be great).

To reiterate:

* Everybody list your rearrangement of the official top ten.

* Everybody list your personal top ten.

My rearrangement of the official top ten greatest electric guitarists:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Eddie Van Halen.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Jeff Beck.

6. David Gilmour.

7. Jerry Garcia.

8. Chuck Berry.

9. Duane Allman.

10. Riley "B.B." King.

My personal top ten greatest electric guitarists excluding those already in the official top ten (reasons included):

1. Pete Townshend - One of the truly great classic rock guitarists, if weak on rhythm.

2. Ritchie Blackmore - His work with Deep Purple provided a formula for a lot of hard rock.

3. Tony Iommi - His work with Black Sabbath provided the formula for metal.

4. T-Bone Walker - Incredible blues player whose licks influenced many R&B and early rock players.

5. Brian May - A great rock guitarist most notable for his work with Queen.

6. Joe Satriani - At first noted for teaching many great guitarists, became rightfully famous after the release of Surfing with the Alien.

7. Steve Vai - Incredibly talented, provided hard rock/heavy metal work before moving on to making eclectic instrumentals.

8. Wes Montgomery - The greatest jazz guitarist (in my opinion).

9. Tom Morello - Brilliant work with Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

10. Chet Atkins - The greatest country guitarist (in my opinion).

And one more thing: I used to keep the list on my userpage, but I'm going to stop doing that because it's unnecessary effort.

My rearrangement of the official top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Duane Allman.

6. Eddie Van Halen.

7. David Gilmour

8. "B.B." King.

9. Jerry Garcia.

10.Chuck Berry.

My personal top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Duane Allman.

6. Eddie Van Halen.

7. "B.B." King.

8. Ritchie Blackmore.

9. Buddy Guy.

10.Robin Trower.

Ok, here goes my rearrangement of the official top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Duane Allman.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. David Gilmour

6. Jimmy Page.

7. Chuck Berry.

8. "B.B." King.

9. Jerry Garcia.

- Eddie Van Halen.

To be honest, I do like EVH, but he does not fit in my top 20.

Anyway, after a lot of thinking.. here's my personal top ten list:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Peter Green

3. Freddie King (he, together with B.B. King, had a huge influence on guys like Clapton and Green)

4. Duane Allman

5. Jeff Beck

6. Alvin Lee

7. James Burton

8. Eric Clapton

9. David Gilmour

10. Jimmy Page

Close to them in no particular order:

Buddy Guy

Rory Gallagher

Johnny Winter

Ed King

Keith Richards

Elmore James

Albert Lee

Richie Blackmore

Chuck Berry

Hubert Sumlin

Ry Cooder

B.B. King

Allen Collins

Jerry Garcia

Had I made a favourite list, it'd be a little different.

SelfDevouringSnake

with all due respect, Townshend is one of the greatest writers of all time. He can play seven instruments well I am told. But are you serious about him being that high as a guitarist? I cannot put him in the top twenty for just his guitar abilities. But a genious all around.cool.gif

My rearrangement of the Top 10:

1. Hendrix

2. Duane Allman

3. David Gilmour

4. Jimmy Page

5. Eric Clapton

6. BB King

7. Jeff Beck

8. Chuck Berry

9. Eddie Van Halen

10. Jerry Garcia

My personal Top 10:

1. Hendrix

2. Duane Allman

3, David Gilmour

4. Joe Walsh

5. Eric Clapton

6. Jimmy Page

7. Stevie Ray Vaughan

8. Jeff Beck

9. Lindsay Buckingham

10. Eddie Van Halen

My rearrangement:

1)Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Eddie Van Halen

6)David Gilmour

7)Jeff Beck

8)Duane Allman

9)Jerry Garcia

10)BB King

I've already posted my own Top10, but here it is again:

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Van Halen

6)Ritchie Blackmore

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Satriani

9)Brian May

10)Robert Johnson

Brian May a rock guitarist ? ...Nah...a pop group guitar player more like. Queen are not really a rock band. They might pretend to be but pop they most definitely they are.....Same goes for Bon jovi another pretend rock group.

My rearrangement:

1)Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Chuck Berry

6)Eddie Van Halen

7)David Gilmour

8)Jeff Beck

9)Jerry Garcia

10)BB King

My Personal: (note these are just my favorites, not who I think are the 10 best of all-time. I'm fine with the 10 we've already nominated)

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Jerry Garcia

6)Robert Johnson

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Walsh

9)Ritchie Blackmore

10)Eddie Van Halen

My rearrangement:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Hendrix

3. Clapton

4. Jeff Beck

5. Duane Allman

6. Chuck Berry

7. B.B. King

8. Van Halen

9. Jerry Garcia

10. David Gilmour

My favourites:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Hendrix

3. Clapton

4. Jeff Beck

5. Duane Allman

6. Chuck Berry

7. Scotty Moore

8. Van Halen

9. Ritchie Blackmore

10. Roy Buchanan

I get why people don't think Townshend is a top 10 in terms of guitar work, but just because he doesn't play solos as much as Page doesn't mean he isn't great. Watch any version of "Sparks" on YouTube and that is one example, although I could list many more.

A point of interest for everybody: Aside from listing your rearrangement of the official top ten, list your personal top ten excluding those on the official top ten. I've also decided that we're not going to hold rearrangements every ten people (asking somebody to rank ten people is fine, twenty is okay, thirty's pushing it, but when it gets to forty, nobody's gonna want to do it). I'm going to work out a system so that a guitarist is placed fairly (suggestions on this would be great).

To reiterate:

* Everybody list your rearrangement of the official top ten.

* Everybody list your personal top ten.

My rearrangement of the official top ten greatest electric guitarists:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Eddie Van Halen.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Jeff Beck.

6. David Gilmour.

7. Jerry Garcia.

8. Chuck Berry.

9. Duane Allman.

10. Riley "B.B." King.

My personal top ten greatest electric guitarists excluding those already in the official top ten (reasons included):

1. Pete Townshend - One of the truly great classic rock guitarists, if weak on rhythm.

2. Ritchie Blackmore - His work with Deep Purple provided a formula for a lot of hard rock.

3. Tony Iommi - His work with Black Sabbath provided the formula for metal.

4. T-Bone Walker - Incredible blues player whose licks influenced many R&B and early rock players.

6. Joe Satriani - At first noted for teaching many great guitarists, became rightfully famous after the release of Surfing with the Alien.

7. Steve Vai - Incredibly talented, provided hard rock/heavy metal work before moving on to making eclectic instrumentals.

8. Wes Montgomery - The greatest jazz guitarist (in my opinion).

9. Tom Morello - Brilliant work with Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

10. Chet Atkins - The greatest country guitarist (in my opinion).

And one more thing: I used to keep the list on my userpage, but I'm going to stop doing that because it's unnecessary effort.

I see that I'm the only person who listed my personal top ten excluding those already on the official top ten. That's alright, it wasn't a big deal: I just had an idea in mind that would help us from having to rearrange the list every ten. I'm still thinking out ideas for managing the list, although I think this new method will be adequate for now.

Because I want my list to be compatible with the other personal top tens that I will be tallying in a moment, I'll retcon the standard I suggested and make a top ten including those on the official list (note: it will probably be different from all my previous top tens):

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Eddie Van Halen.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Jeff Beck.

6. David Gilmour.

7. Pete Townshend.

8. Duane Allman.

9. Jerry Garcia.

10. Ritchie Blackmore.

My rearrangement of the official top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Duane Allman.

6. Eddie Van Halen.

7. David Gilmour

8. "B.B." King.

9. Jerry Garcia.

10.Chuck Berry.

My personal top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Duane Allman.

6. Eddie Van Halen.

7. "B.B." King.

8. Ritchie Blackmore.

9. Buddy Guy.

10.Robin Trower.

Your ranks have been accounted for.

Averages and other statistical stuff will be listed at the bottom of this post.

Ok, here goes my rearrangement of the official top ten:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Duane Allman.

3. Jeff Beck.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. David Gilmour

6. Jimmy Page.

7. Chuck Berry.

8. "B.B." King.

9. Jerry Garcia.

- Eddie Van Halen.

To be honest, I do like EVH, but he does not fit in my top 20.

Anyway, after a lot of thinking.. here's my personal top ten list:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Peter Green

3. Freddie King (he, together with B.B. King, had a huge influence on guys like Clapton and Green)

4. Duane Allman

5. Jeff Beck

6. Alvin Lee

7. James Burton

8. Eric Clapton

9. David Gilmour

10. Jimmy Page

Close to them in no particular order:

Buddy Guy

Rory Gallagher

Johnny Winter

Ed King

Keith Richards

Elmore James

Albert Lee

Richie Blackmore

Chuck Berry

Hubert Sumlin

Ry Cooder

B.B. King

Allen Collins

Jerry Garcia

Had I made a favourite list, it'd be a little different.

SelfDevouringSnake

with all due respect, Townshend is one of the greatest writers of all time. He can play seven instruments well I am told. But are you serious about him being that high as a guitarist? I cannot put him in the top twenty for just his guitar abilities. But a genious all around.cool.gif

I list Townshend so high because he was an early player in the tradition of guitarists like Hendrix and Clapton, players whom he wasn't as good as, but some of the things he did predated them, for example the Who's method of amplification, as well as Townshend's use fuzz and feedback, albeit not as prominently as many later would, but my point is that in a rock context, the Who were very influential. But that's just my opinion.

My rearrangement:

1)Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Eddie Van Halen

6)David Gilmour

7)Jeff Beck

8)Duane Allman

9)Jerry Garcia

10)BB King

I've already posted my own Top10, but here it is again:

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Van Halen

6)Ritchie Blackmore

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Satriani

9)Brian May

10)Robert Johnson

Brian May a rock guitarist ? ...Nah...a pop group guitar player more like. Queen are not really a rock band. They might pretend to be but pop they most definitely they are.....Same goes for Bon jovi another pretend rock group.

Queen was a strange band, and one of the few things that makes me reluctant to put May on my list is that Queen did do a lot of stuff that I really never bothered listening to. May was an influence on Eddie Van Halen and other late '70s, early '80s hard rock guitarists. No argument about Bon Jovi though.

My rearrangement:

1)Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Chuck Berry

6)Eddie Van Halen

7)David Gilmour

8)Jeff Beck

9)Jerry Garcia

10)BB King

My Personal: (note these are just my favorites, not who I think are the 10 best of all-time. I'm fine with the 10 we've already nominated)

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Jerry Garcia

6)Robert Johnson

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Walsh

9)Ritchie Blackmore

10)Eddie Van Halen

My rearrangement:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Hendrix

3. Clapton

4. Jeff Beck

5. Duane Allman

6. Chuck Berry

7. B.B. King

8. Van Halen

9. Jerry Garcia

10. David Gilmour

My favourites:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Hendrix

3. Clapton

4. Jeff Beck

5. Duane Allman

6. Chuck Berry

7. Scotty Moore

8. Van Halen

9. Ritchie Blackmore

10. Roy Buchanan

I get why people don't think Townshend is a top 10 in terms of guitar work, but just because he doesn't play solos as much as Page doesn't mean he isn't great. Watch any version of "Sparks" on YouTube and that is one example, although I could list many more.

He is indeed great, even if he wasn't big on solos.

So here are the results. On the whole, six people (including me) gave rearrangements of the top ten and their own top ten. Had I counted people who had previously listed their personal top ten lists, I would have a lot more to consider, and I'd have to think of another way to make it compatible, or wait longer and ask those people to provide rearrangements. It's a confusing piece of work, this thread, but I hope everything turns out for the best. Here is the official list as it currently stands, with the ranks the six recent participants gave them, and the mean of the ranks in bold:

#1 - Jimi Hendrix - 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 - 1.2.

#2 - Jimmy Page - 2, 2, 6, 2, 2, 1 - 2.5.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen - 3, 6, 10, 5, 6, 8 - 6.3.

#4 - Jeff Beck - 5, 3, 3, 7, 8, 4 - 5.

#5 - Eric Clapton - 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3 - 3.5.

#6 - David Gilmour - 6, 7, 5, 6, 7, 10 - 6.8.

#7 - Duane Allman - 9, 5, 2, 8, 4, 5 - 5.5.

#8 - Riley "B.B." King - 10, 8, 8, 10, 10, 7 - 8.8.

#9 - Chuck Berry - 8, 10, 7, 4, 5, 6 - 6.7.

#10 - Jerry Garcia - 7, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 - 8.7.

The new official top ten:

#1 - Jimi Hendrix (1.2).

#2 - Jimmy Page (2.5).

#3 - Eric Clapton (3.5).

#4 - Jeff Beck (5).

#5 - Duane Allman (5.5).

#6 - Eddie Van Halen (6.3).

#7 - Chuck Berry (6.7).

#8 - David Gilmour (6.8).

#9 - Jerry Garcia (8.7).

#10 - Riley "B.B" King (8.8).

I'm in favor of this new method because using averages will equalize it, instead of me looking through the half-assed notes I was writing.

I said I would also add a new guitarist to the list, but I'm still considering how I'm going to add in a new person while still being in accordance with the new top ten... Basically, where am I going to put new guitarists? Should I keep putting them at the bottom and have a rearrangement for averages every ten weeks or should I find a way to insert the guitarist into an appropriate rank which will hopefully cut down the number of rearrangements (if any)? The first choice sounds like a lot of work, and I have no idea how to pull off the second.

I'll be on later.

My rearrangement:

1)Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Chuck Berry

6)Eddie Van Halen

7)David Gilmour

8)Jeff Beck

9)Jerry Garcia

10)BB King

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Duane Allman

5)Jerry Garcia

6)Robert Johnson

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Walsh

9)Ritchie Blackmore

10)Eddie Van Halen

How come you first put Eddie above Garcia and Gilmour, and then below them? Oh, and first Gilmour over Garcia, and then below him?

Archived