Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SelfDevouringSnake

Rank of Electric Guitarists

I agree 100%.

Easily the coolest member Kiss has ever had. Who comes up with smoking pick ups and rockets shooting out of the guitar??

His solos always sounded like they belonged, not forced in any way. You can hear a big Page influence in his playing also.

Easily the coolest member Kiss has ever had. Who comes up with smoking pick ups and rockets shooting out of the guitar??

His solos always sounded like they belonged, not forced in any way. You can hear a big Page influence in his playing also.

Indeed. His playing fits perfectly to their songs.

I know it'll just break your hearts but,

after a couple of recent posts,

I have to exit this thread.

I can't take it seriously anymore.

Bye.

*gags on exit*

Vinnie Moore

LOL that vid was pretty funny I think. I can't say I am impressed by players like that, sounds pretty aweful. But I remember the 80's, guitarists like Jason Becker and Marty Friedman. They were the hairband days' guitar heroes.. They won't make it to my list.

I would like to first thank SelfDevouringSnake for starting this thread. You have been a great thread host and provided a lot of information. I still believe we will all learn a lot and find new music along the way.

Please allow me to apologize in advance for going off topic for a moment. It's sad sometimes at how negative some people can be. We all have a right to our opinions and can easily agree to disagree. When I participate in a thread such as this one, I always imagine that I am with people who have a passion for Led Zeppelin and music in general. If we were all together at let's just say a reunion, I am sure we would have a great time discussing this. I can see us laughing and talking together. :beer:

I am personally looking forward to participating with my fellow forum friends in this thread. We are not doing this to be in a magazine poll, but because we love music...and can share our thoughts.

Thank you in adavance for listening and I hope a few more join in :guitar_mood:

Everyone has got an opinion and that should be respected, indeed. I know I can be very opinonated, but I do respect others opinions and thoughts. The list we/you are setting together here will most probably never look like the list I'd put together in the same subject. But I don't mind. :)

Personally, I think ranking electric guitarists is way too broad, it should be broken into categories of style such as rock, metal, jazz, country, blues, rockabilly etc...

How do you compare Wes Montgomery to Tony Iommi? See what I'm saying.

Here's a video of someone I consider to be one of the greatest country/rockabilly guitarists ever.

Jerry Donahue: The Beak/the Claw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaSZxZJFV0&feature=related

Oh yeah, either I'm blind or Joe Walsh isn't included in the top 100. WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axmUsmLwPko&feature=related

Edited by snapper

Personally, I think ranking electric guitarists is way too broad, it should be broken into categories of style such as rock, metal, jazz, country, blues, rockabilly etc...

Here's a video of someone I consider to be one of the greatest country/rockabilly guitarists ever.

Jerry Donahue: The Beak/the Claw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaSZxZJFV0&feature=related

You got that right. Nice video clip, some great guitar pickin' there..

Could we please get Billy Gibbons included in this list? He's one of my favorites and obviously very underrated.

He should definitely be somewhere on this list (at least that's what I think now). I love ZZ Top, especially, like most people, Eliminator. Rolling Stone did not include him on their list (and they included Kurt Cobain and Jack White (good guitarists I'll admit) but on the top twenty?), and Digital Dream Door ranked him #76 on their rock guitarists list. Kills me to see him knocked out of the top 75 by just one.

JBs Band

Rhonda Smith - Bass

Jason Rebello - Keys

Narada Micheal Walden - Drums

Thanks. To reiterate, Beck and his band were incredible.

It's a hard decision for sure. This list is obviously leaning to rock (currently), but we'll keep it open to everybody... for now. If it's all rock by the time we get to say ten, I'll really have to consider changing this list's title. But we'll see.

Edited by SelfDevouringSnake

I'd like to make it clear that absolutely nobody (except possibly me) has to participate in this thread. It's completely optional.

So, it's that time of the week again. Not unexpectedly, after a less-than-thorough inspection (just being honest, the choice was already pretty clear based on prior feedback), the choice for the fifth rank is Eric Clapton. Although other names were mentioned for the position, nobody else had as much feedback as Clapton.

#5 - Eric Clapton

Clapton might be the best example of a bluesman integrating himself into modern music. England was big on R&B in the early '60s, and that's where a lot of guitarists are firmly rooted. But Clapton, despite learning R&B licks initially, can never be called an R&B player: when American blues became big amongst musical circles in England, Clapton soaked up everything it had to offer. His playing first fell into the spotlight as a member of the Yardbirds, whom he quickly elevated into local fame with his blues chops. But he was not happy with the pop direction that the founding members were heading towards, and Clapton left the group with their first big hit, "For Your Love". His insistence on the blues led him to John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Mayall, another blues aficionado, had gathered a group of likeminded musicians, and Clapton was the perfect man to have. They reached huge fame with Blues Breakers, which made blues-rock a huge force in English music. Clapton was now regarded as the best guitarist in England (see "Clapton is God", a graffito which Clapton has always downplayed throughout his career). Tired of having no control in his bands, Clapton formed a power trio with Jack Bruce (bassist; also did main vocals) and Ginger Baker (drummer) in 1966. It was Cream. Cream was extremely successful with hits like "Sunshine of Your Love", "White Room", "I Feel Free", and "Crossroads". Clapton now had prominence in both America and Britan. Cream was under a lot of performance pressure as the foremost psychedelic blues-rock band, and eventually broke up in 1968. His next major project was Derek and the Dominos. Clapton had fallen in love with Beatles' guitarist George Harrison's wife, Pattie Boyd, and his unrequited love was the inspiration for "Layla", the title track from the band's single studio album (notable for contributions with slide guitarist Duane Allman). In the '70s, Clapton chose to perform as a solo artist. It was also during this time that he kicked his drug addiction and confessed his love to Pattie in a discussion with her and Harrison. Clapton and Boyd later married. His solo career was doing well, but in the '80s Clapton had begun to drink and have affairs. He divorced Boyd and married a model with whom he had a son named Conor. In 1991, Conor Clapton fell from a New York apartment and died. Out of grief, Clapton wrote the song "Tears in Heaven", which won a Grammy. In 2007, a journalist did research on his father and found out that he was a Canadian soldier and musician who died unaware that he was Clapton's father. Clapton continues to tour with many notable musicians, and remains one of the world's most admired guitarists.

Rank of Electric Guitarists

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

Edited by SelfDevouringSnake

I might as well get to the matter of the sixth rank. We've chosen five excellent guitarists so far, all in the broad rock genre. Our list is a rearrangement of the first five guitarists on Digital Dream Door's 100 Greatest Rock Guitarists. You might feel that this is an indication that our list will turn out to be close to theirs. In some respects, I'm sure it will be. It will also probably be pretty close to Rolling Stone's list. But I honestly don't care, let's just get to ten for now.

So who do I think is #6? I don't really have anybody specific in mind, because at this point... hell, it's just a list with no actual criteria except for popular opinion. So I've chosen six people that I would be particularly pleased to see as #6 (six for #6... didn't do that on purpose, I just chose six). They are listed below:

*Chuck Berry - The man founded rock-and-roll. I posted a tentative top ten awhile back, and he was #6 then, so he might as well be #6 now. The man who posted Rolling Stone's list on Listology thinks he should be #1 (http://www.listology.com/story/rolling-stone-100-greatest-guitarists).

*David Gilmour - A brilliant progressive guitarist best known for playing in Pink Floyd. He's been mentioned on this thread before, and actually had a good deal of support near the beginning. Still gets brought up here and there.

*Ritchie Blackmore - A hard rock legend. He's sixth on Digital Dream Door's rock list, and I don't want our list to be a mere rearrangement of theirs, but Blackmore's skill and influence can't be denied.

*Tony Iommi - He should certainly be the first metal guitarist (there are others who are better than him, but none as substantial or influential).

*Duane Allman - Greatest electric slide guitarist, if not the greatest slide guitarist.

*Pete Townshend - Great player in the classic rock tradition. A lot of people think he was better at rhythm than lead, but either way he was very good.

At this point, I don't feel I can choose one person as my choice for a position. I will continue to analyze feedback and select one person for the latest position every week, and I will recommend guitarists, but I'm not sure I'll be able to single out one person as my choice from this point on.

Here's a reminder to take heed of #10: in intervals of ten, I will consider rearranging the list, but only if a choice is being heavily criticized. I know that some disliked seeing Van Halen at #3, although I think the positive feedback for that decision slightly outweighed the negative.

I agree with some of the 'next 6'

I feel that BB King should be added along with Jerry Garcia, and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Since I am happy with the top 5 (not necessarily in the order) I can't really complain thus far.

So I will have to think a bit about my vote for 6th place.

David Gilmour is definitely my next 'favorite' But I'm not sure he's the 'best'.

I think SRV might be the most talented electric guitarist left out thus far.

Jerry Garcia is considered to be the most talented guitarist ever in a lot of circles. While I'm not a 'dead head' by any means, I do enjoy their music. His guitar sound is unforgettable.

Iommi is fantastic but I'm not sure he is in the same catergory as the people I listed above.

Pete Townshed might be the best "rock n roll' guitarist with pure showmanship. But again I don't think hes at the same level as some others that have yet to be listed.

Duane Allman is right up there with SRV in my opinion. The Allman brothers band is a pure guitar sounding band. Songs like 'Jessica' should rank him right around 6th.

BB King doesn't need much praise from me. He is the man who influenced basically all of the bands that we love today. (Including the mighty Zep)

Richie Blackmore Is great, but I think he might not deserve a spot in our top 10.

Chuck Berry is another great choice. I think he should round off the top 10. Or at least be on the cusp. But since we're on number 6 I think he can wait for a few more spots.

So after my rambling I guess my next vote(s) would go in this order

6. Stevie Ray Vaughn

7. Duane Allman

8. Jerry Garcia

9. BB King

10.David Gilmour

Tony Iommi

Chuck Berry

Richie Blackmore

Pete Townshed

Of the six I've chosen, I distinguish the upper class as being Gilmour, Berry, and Allman. They just seem like slightly better choices. I'd honestly be happy with any of the six I mentioned. This list is so very subjective, and that's part of the fun for me. Of all the people mentioned, Gilmour has the most general support for the next position (from prior posts and recent). It could always turn in another direction, but it's looking good for Gilmour. Berry rounding off the top ten? I like that. In any case, I'm adamant on him being somewhere on it.

I enjoy Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B. King (Zep 4 Life's and Deborah J's choices respectively), as both are fine blues players. Vaughan was the biggest bluesman in the '80s, no question; B.B. King is one of the guys who made it possible for Vaughan to play. However, my first choice for a bluesman on this list would be Buddy Guy. We'll just see how this goes though. Jerry Garcia should be on the top 30. At least.

I'm glad to host this, but I'm not the best person for it: there's a lot of guitarists I haven't heard, and there's a lot for me to learn about them. I'll always try to look up somebody when they're mentioned.

Chuck Berry should be next, he's had such a huge influence on modern guitar and music in general plus this list is really kind of "hard rock heavy".

I'm with you on Duane but he might just be a personal favorite and he had one ass kicking guitar player standing next to him. The same goes for Jerry, I've seen him do some unbelievable things with an electric guitar but he did have one hell of a band backing him up (that Bob Weir knows every chord ever invented and has some gianto hands).

I'm against David Gilmour since I feel his musical range and influence are quite limited.

As far as blues guitarists go B.B. IS the most famous, but others, like Muddy Waters, Elmore James and (especially) Hubert Sumlin not only predated and influenced B.B. but also have had much more effect on the development of electric guitar (they were all huge influences on Jimi).

Speaking of which, Les Paul should be in the top ten; the modern electric guitar might not exist with out him!

Edited for those same old spelling errors! Dang! Any chance of getting a spellcheck type program on this site?

Edited by chef free

Again I will say; where is John Mclaughlin? The guy is absolutely phenonemal. Listen to any Mahavishnu Orchestra album or 'Live Evil' (which also features Miles Davis.) Don't know how he can be left out of the top ten to be honest, he incoroprates so many different types of music into what he writes/plays.

Edited by tom kid

Again I will say; where is John Mclaughlin? The guy is absolutely phenonemal. Listen to any Mahavishnu Orchestra album or 'Live Evil' (which also features Miles Davis.) Don't know how he can be left out of the top ten to be honest, he incoroprates so many different types of music into what he writes/plays.

Agreed!

Just got the new Lampinski of Mahavishnu opening for Jeff Beck May 3 1975. When the opening act plays for 90 min and the headliner only does 60 that tells ya somthing!

I'm liking this quality discussion. Finally some people putting in some good opinions. All of the mentioned guitarists in the last few posts have been fantastic. I think this thread has finally got some momentum.

I'm positive McLaughlin will make the list. Not sure where, but I'd guess somewhere within the top twenty, perhaps he'll make the top ten but I can't promise. I tentatively believe that Stevie Ray Vaughan should be above him though.

I have to stick with my original first 5 and since we have reached that number, my obvious choice:

#6 is BB King

#7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'll post beyond this as we get to that point. Still enjoying this thread :guitar_mood: as well as everyones thoughts and input.

Edited by Deborah J

Gallagher.

SRV

Peter Green

Jimi

In no particular order at the moment 'cos I just can't be arsed.

I love SRV, have all his stuff and many boots but... he really is not a Great electric guitarist, his style is not real original nor influential and his range is very limited. For personal listening I choose SRV regulary but for the list of greatest electric guitarists of all time he is no where near top ten.

Duane Allman, Jerry Garcia, Frank Zappa, Robert Fripp, Steve Howe, Les Paul, Muddy Waters, Pat Metheney, Danny Gatton and/or John Mclaughlin all must come before SRV.