R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

R.I.P

Was never a fan of the Dio Sabbath era but I still know that Rock has lost another God.

If you go back and listen to H&H and Mob Rules without any Ozzy bias or without trying to compare who was better, you might find a gem or 2 you missed out on. The main problem with Dio era Sabbath is: "Black Sabbath is Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill". Forget about the name of the band and any expectations of what "Black Sabbath" is supposed to sound like. Dio and Tony Iommi made a great combo!

Personally, I think the first 2 Dio Sabbath albums rival anything Sabbath ever did with Ozzy. It just depends on my mood. The music is very different.

RIP RJD. The world lost one of it's greatest singers/entertainers as well as one hell of a cool guy. What a sad way to start the week...

If you go back and listen to H&H and Mob Rules without any Ozzy bias or without trying to compare who was better, you might find a gem or 2 you missed out on. The main problem with Dio era Sabbath is: "Black Sabbath is Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill". Forget about the name of the band and any expectations of what "Black Sabbath" is supposed to sound like. Dio and Tony Iommi made a great combo!

Personally, I think the first 2 Dio Sabbath albums rival anything Sabbath ever did with Ozzy. It just depends on my mood. The music is very different.

RIP RJD. The world lost one of it's greatest singers/entertainers as well as one hell of a cool guy. What a sad way to start the week...

Without wishing to turn this into a Dio-Sabbath vs. Ozzy-Sabbath thing; if Ozzy was half the person Dio was he'd be 10 times the 'man' he is today.

Way back in December 1972, me and some high school buddies went to the Academy of Music on 14th Street in NYC to see headliners Uriah Heep. Second on the bill was Manfred Man. The opening act was Elf. I discovered many years later that Dio was the lead singer for Elf. R.I.P.

Without wishing to turn this into a Dio-Sabbath vs. Ozzy-Sabbath thing; if Ozzy was half the person Dio was he'd be 10 times the 'man' he is today.

I hate math.

Ronnie James Dio was my favorite singer next to Robert Plant. Although his lyrics and style centered around the same topics, he was amazing and very recognizable. Nobody sounded like DIO. Im sad that I didn't get a chance to see him live. He kept his age a mystery, so when reading that he was 67 is also AMAZING to me. He rocked out till the last days of his life. A true rock n' roll icon. Go put on some Rainbow, Black Sabbath , DIO or ELF and realize how great this guy was and how deeply he will be missed. DIO RULES...what a sad day. I feel sick over this........RIP "The HOLY DIVER"

Ever since I read this very SAD news of the death of Ronnie James DIO, I have been privately grieving while also celebrating his Music and Vocals. All I have been listening to for the past couple of days are the RJD songs that are well-known and even some of the more obscure RJD songs. All of them courtesy of YouTube. I could go on "record" and say that "Holy Diver" and the "Last in Line" MIGHT be my two favorite Ronnie James DIO songs. Might be. Of course there are dozens and dozens (if not Hundreds) of Great and Classic DIO songs. Whoever he happened to be singing with.

By the way, I do not know how to add a video link of songs from YouTube to this site or forum, however, I do know how to type. Go to YouTube and type in DIO BLACK DOG and the first video to come up should be:

"The Elves (Ronnie James Dio) Black Dog cover". Check it out!

Archived