World Cup 2010

toscano

Go to the World Cup site. It is not in English. Speaking of which, yesterday's tie, the New York Post said it was the greatest tie since the battle of Bunker Hill. To me it was a disgrace to see that goalie let that in. they are giving it to the old boy good I hear in the British tabloids.

It was a "howler" but, it's certainly not the first time a player has made a meal of things at the WC. Like any sport, shit happens. The real question that needs to be asked is whether or not the English squad will step up and get the job done. I for one have no doubt that they will

To me it was a disgrace to see that goalie let that in. they are giving it to the old boy good I hear in the British tabloids.

I don't blame our goalie. They're using a funny ball this time, so expect to see more of the same. Judging by the proportion of shots so far that are going way over the bar, the ball's probably something like the cheap, shitty lightweight balls we used to play with when we were kids. You'd think FIFA could settle on a design after all these years.

As you may or may not know Silver, we have a history of goalie bloopers, going back a very long way, funny balls or not. Goalie bloopers and penalty shoot-outs are our twin Achilles Heels. Even the great Gordon Banks fucked up in the semi-final in 1966. Our press always reacts hysterically, which of course is the worst thing they could do, but one would hope that the players aren''t reading the garbage they're printing. The problem is that if a goalie fucks up, it usually ends in a goal, whereas the outfield players generally get away with their misdemeanours - on the subject of which, we had plenty of opportunities last night to negate Green's mishap, both before and after it occurred. But they're not crucifying Heskey for his shot straight at your goalie, nor Mr Rooney for seemingly being AWOL all night.

As you appear to be settling in quite nicely to your role as a soccer Anglophile, be warned: it is very rarely any fun being an England fan.

Here in the US, I've always heard soccer referred to as a "Commie Sport" anyway.

Anyone for a good ole game of Kick the Can?

Oh wait that was in my youth, since the 80s it's now called Kick the Commie. :rolleyes:

Really? I've never heard that about Soccer. :unsure:

I don't blame our goalie. They're using a funny ball this time, so expect to see more of the same. Judging by the proportion of shots so far that are going way over the bar, the ball's probably something like the cheap, shitty lightweight balls we used to play with when we were kids. You'd think FIFA could settle on a design after all these years.

As you may or may not know Silver, we have a history of goalie bloopers, going back a very long way, funny balls or not. Goalie bloopers and penalty shoot-outs are our twin Achilles Heels. Even the great Gordon Banks fucked up in the semi-final in 1966. Our press always reacts hysterically, which of course is the worst thing they could do, but one would hope that the players aren''t reading the garbage they're printing. The problem is that if a goalie fucks up, it usually ends in a goal, whereas the outfield players generally get away with their misdemeanours - on the subject of which, we had plenty of opportunities last night to negate Green's mishap, both before and after it occurred. But they're not crucifying Heskey for his shot straight at your goalie, nor Mr Rooney for seemingly being AWOL all night.

As you appear to be settling in quite nicely to your role as a soccer Anglophile, be warned: it is very rarely any fun being an England fan.

I will and still am cheering for England. If they disapoint, Ill cheer for Germany. No excuse on the ball on that goal. It was a joke. Pure and simple. Admit it.

I will and still am cheering for England. If they disapoint, Ill cheer for Germany. No excuse on the ball on that goal. It was a joke. Pure and simple. Admit it.

If you don't learn to move on, I don't rate your chances of remaining a football fan. ;)

Based on the games I've seen (I've not watched them all) and on that performance, Germany to win the World Cup.

A comprehensive and clinical win by a great team and good luck to them and all teams throughout the rest of the tournament.

To our boys, chin up, regroup and move on, there are still two games to go in the first round so we're still in it.

They would've beaten any side (even England) by that margin the way they played today.

If the team uses the loss as a wake up call and motivation then no real harm done, it's better to lose big early then to play well all competition and lose deluxe when it really matters either in the semis or the final.

Hopefully we'll play more attacking football next game and we'll field our best side against Ghana who won't be easybeats.

Once again congratulations to Germany, so far on form the team to beat.

Based on the games I've seen (I've not watched them all) and on that performance, Germany to win the World Cup.

A comprehensive and clinical win by a great team and good luck to them and all teams throughout the rest of the tournament.

To our boys, chin up, regroup and move on, there are still two games to go in the first round so we're still in it.

They would've beaten any side (even England) by that margin the way they played today.

If the team uses the loss as a wake up call and motivation then no real harm done, it's better to lose big early then to play well all competition and lose deluxe when it really matters either in the semis or the final.

Hopefully we'll play more attacking football next game and we'll field our best side against Ghana who won't be easybeats.

Once again congratulations to Germany, so far on form the team to beat.

Way to early to say that. Brazil and Spain have not played yet. And England would not have got beaten like that. If they got beat. Germany is always good. Sorry, but Australia, as much as I love the place, is not a good team

Make that ESPECIALLY England :(

You know what? Through my cheap lager hangover haze, I forgot about the highlight of the England game. I dunno if it was broadcast to all countries, but when the yanks scored, they showed a 5-second freeze-frame of David Beckham. Well, I assume it was a freeze-frame.

His expression was priceless :D

Make that ESPECIALLY England sad.gif

You know what? Through my cheap lager hangover haze, I forgot about the highlight of the England game. I dunno if it was broadcast to all countries, but when the yanks scored, they showed a 5-second freeze-frame of David Beckham. Well, I assume it was a freeze-frame.

His expression was priceless biggrin.gif

Well, if they put that guy back in goal they may lose 9-0. Who knows. Time to start drinking the good stuff! Right now Im drinking this cherry wheat ale. First and last time.

"AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE"

:boohoo:

Anyone to win but France, :o as the Scotch would say. :lol:

For all those that didn't know, the Ivory Coast was a French Colony hence it calls itself "Côte d'Ivoire" ;)

(Its spelt in French :yes2:)

Who gives a fcuk who invented the game? as long as you all remember that Its"Rugger" that's a Mans Game. :yesnod:

I would love it for an Black African Team to win it, so I'm gonna support England. :wtf:

Come on you "IRONS"

Regards, Danny

Way to early to say that. Brazil and Spain have not played yet. And England would not have got beaten like that. If they got beat. Germany is always good. Sorry, but Australia, as much as I love the place, is not a good team

Like I said I haven't watched all the games and until another team be it Argentina, Brazil, Spain or anyone else shows anything different than what the Germans displayed then they are in the final at the very least.

Good team, bad tactics and that solely rests with the coach.

As I recall almost the same team defeated England 3-0 a couple of years back! wink.gif

There were two dodgy calls that went against us, the hand ball by Germany that was seen by everyone yet went unnoticed by the referee and Cahill's dubious send off, a yellow card at best.

Sorry as much as I love the place, England, would not have beaten Germany based on the way they played against the USA.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is unforgiveable.

Like I said I haven't watched all the games and until another team be it Argentina, Brazil, Spain or anyone else shows anything different than what the Germans displayed then they are in the final at the very least.

As I recall almost the same team defeated England 3-0 a couple of years back! wink.gif

There were two dodgy calls that went against us, the hand ball by Germany that was seen by everyone yet went unnoticed by the referee and Cahill's dubious send off, a yellow card at best.

Sorry as much as I love the place, England, would not have beaten Germany based on the way they played against the USA.

And yet Germany may have won this game 9-0. Long way to go. Just the beginning. Amen to France getting beat. Cant stand them. I dont want Italy to win either. Or Brazil. Or Argentina. The list always seems short as to who can go deep. Are there any sleepers out there this time? Doubt it. Spain is actually the favorite. Perhaps the Netherlands would be a sleeper? Not sure. But for now, Go England, and replace the goalie.

And yet Germany may have won this game 9-0. Long way to go. Just the beginning. Amen to France getting beat. Cant stand them. I dont want Italy to win either. Or Brazil. Or Argentina. The list always seems short as to who can go deep. Are there any sleepers out there this time? Doubt it. Spain is actually the favorite. Perhaps the Netherlands would be a sleeper? Not sure. But for now, Go England, and replace the goalie.

Not enough injury time!

Spain maybe favourites but that counts for nothing until they start winning and favouritism could put the mock on them.

Who knows South Africa may well surprise, it wouldn't be the first time the unlikely home nation has taken the cup.

I'd stick with the goalie, although it was unfortunate and cost them (you still got a draw), it's unlikely it would happen again and if it did then sack him.

Teams should be more concerned about scoring more goals rather than one not saved.

Not enough injury time!

Spain maybe favourites but that counts for nothing until they start winning and favouritism could put the mock on them.

Who knows South Africa may well surprise, it wouldn't be the first time the unlikely home nation has taken the cup.

I'd stick with the goalie, although it was unfortunate and cost them (you still got a draw), it's unlikely it would happen again and if it did then sack him.

Teams should be more concerned about scoring more goals rather than one not saved.

I thought that Ivory Coast was perhaps the best of the African teams? Dont know?

Teams who start like that rarely go on to win the World Cup. The teams who usually win it are those who build momentum as the tournament goes on. Often the teams which win it are those teams which don't start so impressive.

Last time everyone was saying the same about Argentina because they looked so good in the group stage when they beat Sebia 6-0. They didn't win it and didn't even get to the semi final.

Sorry but this kind of speculation is pointless. You don't know if England would have beaten Germany or not - NO-ONE KNOWS - just as I don't know if you guys would have beaten the US.

Yes there were calls that should have gone your way - but that wasn't the reason you lost. Just as there were several handballs by the US in our game which went unpunished - we haven't been complaining about them because that didn't lose us the victory. We all know what did. And it was a freak, crazy moment which perfectly demonstrates why NO-ONE can say things like "England would not have beaten Germany".

There's enough games actually being PLAYED in this tournament without trying to big your team up by speculating on imaginary ones. ;)

Exactly. One win doesn't necessarily mean that Germany have it in the bag.

As much as I hate to say it about my own country, I don't think Australia are going to do too well. Everyone thought we did great in 2006, but that's because we were the underdogs and nobody expected us to get anywhere. Now the people are expecting too much, forgetting that this is only our third World Cup.

I think most people have a bit of a soft spot for you guys - and good old Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill :)

Sorry but this kind of speculation is pointless. You don't know if England would have beaten Germany or not - NO-ONE KNOWS - just as I don't know if you guys would have beaten the US.

Yes there were calls that should have gone your way - but that wasn't the reason you lost. Just as there were several handballs by the US in our game which went unpunished - we haven't been complaining about them because that didn't lose us the victory. We all know what did. And it was a freak, crazy moment which perfectly demonstrates why NO-ONE can say things like "England would not have beaten Germany".

There's enough games actually being PLAYED in this tournament without trying to big your team up by speculating on imaginary ones. wink.gif

Apology accepted.

No complaints here, beaten fair and square.

The reasons we lost is we were up against a shit hot side and the coach was content to try and play out a draw otherwise why would he have kept his strikers out of the game?

Just an opinion on the calls that happen too frequent (to all teams) and if you read what I'd written you would know that I said the way Germany played they would have beaten anyone on the day, even England, they were that good as a team.

I never said that England wouldn't or couldn't beat Germany even though I can't remember the last time they did.

One of the reasons the game hasn't taken off in the US and here is because of the insipid rulings of some of the referees who seem to think the game is about them and not the players.

Also the way some players are more intent on playing for penalties by feigning injuries than showing off their prowess on the field.

Good luck for the rest of the tournament but beware there are still plenty of unknowns capable of causing upsets from both players and officials alike.

Agreed Reggie. Actually last night I watched a video I have of England beating Germany 5 -1. It was in 2001 but it's such a great game I often go back and watch it. I watched the original match in a pub in Vancouver and I remember when Germany scored first, a middle aged guy and his wife next to me jumping up and cheering. I can't tell you how great it felt to be the one jumping up and cheering 5 times after that - and to watch them skulk out before the match was over.

We also beat them in Euro 2000, and the last time we played them - a friendly in Berlin in 2008 - we beat them 2-1, their first defeat in Berlin in 35 years. I don't think we are so scared of them anymore. We've actually won more encounters with them than we've lost.

Ah - football. Arouses so much passion. Meet you on the other side mate? ;) x

Agreed Reggie. Actually last night I watched a video I have of England beating Germany 5 -1. It was in 2001 but it's such a great game I often go back and watch it. I watched the original match in a pub in Vancouver and I remember when Germany scored first, a middle aged guy and his wife next to me jumping up and cheering. I can't tell you how great it felt to be the one jumping up and cheering 5 times after that - and to watch them skulk out before the match was over.

We also beat them in Euro 2000, and the last time we played them - a friendly in Berlin in 2008 - we beat them 2-1, their first defeat in Berlin in 35 years. I don't think we are so scared of them anymore. We've actually won more encounters with them than we've lost.

Ah - football. Arouses so much passion. Meet you on the other side mate? ;) x

Hi Knebby,

We won the one that mattered, 1966, with a little help from a Rusky Linesman. :goal:

Can anyone tell me why all the games at this years world cup are being played in Apiaries?

Regards, Danny

What is done is done. I dont know if Germany and England could actually meet? Even if its the final? Because of the way its set up? Ill have to look at the groups again. I know if England advances past the second, it looks like another showdown with Argentina. If they beat them, Im not sure but could be Spain? Germany is always good. In the last few cups cant argue they have been better than England. Dont get me wrong, I want England to win. But if they get whacked by Argentina, assuming they take care of business against the big underdogs in their group, I would rather see Germany than Brazil. Spain, I could live with. No way France or Italy. Watching the Netherlands now take care of Denmark.

Archived