World Cup 2010

toscano

Spain will probably not fold like Argentina.

Hehe lots of people on the t.v and radio said Argentina would not fold like England.Hmmmmm. :o

(I have no idea who is going to win but I hope it's Germany).

England should have the 2018 World Cup. England hasn't hosted it for 44 years(it will be 52 years in 2018) and already have the inferastructure to do a first class job.

Germany (in contrast) hosted the World Cup TWICE in 34 years (1972 and 2006). ohmy.gif

It's England's time surely. England is one of the most football crazy nations in the world and won't have to do much about getting ready for it as it's already in place and ready.

Not being unfair but I think it would be absolutely ridiculous and a disgrace if the USA got to host another World Cup before England did. The USA already hosted it in 1994 and most of their population doesn't give a damn about football. By all means have it some time in the future but if somehow England doesn't get the World Cup in 2018 but the USA gets it in 2022 then it's time for England to boycott FIFA haha. tongue.gif

I agree , the home of football should have hosted at least two by now and if they don't get 2018 then it will be a disgrace. Should have had the next one IMHO but I'm guessing that the brass at FIFA prefer white wine to John Courage....biggrin.gif

I agree , the home of football should have hosted at least two by now and if they don't get 2018 then it will be a disgrace. Should have had the next one IMHO but I'm guessing that the brass at FIFA prefer white wine to John Courage....biggrin.gif

Just think as well. If England hosted this World Cup 2010 it would have been blessed with great warm weather. It's been glorious this last month. I heard lots of people complain it was freezing in South Africa. I even saw players with gloves on and fans with thick coats and scarves. Who would have thought?? It was Africa wasn't it LOL? :o

Wimbledon tennis didn't even lose so much as an hour due to bad weather. Perfect weather. :)

ps) Oh and there wouldn't have been any of those damn annoying vuvuzelas either. :angry:

England should have the 2018 World Cup. England hasn't hosted it for 44 years(it will be 52 years in 2018) and already have the inferastructure to do a first class job.

Germany (in contrast) hosted the World Cup TWICE in 34 years (1972 and 2006). ohmy.gif

It's England's time surely. England is one of the most football crazy nations in the world and won't have to do much about getting ready for it as it's already in place and ready.

Not being unfair but I think it would be absolutely ridiculous and a disgrace if the USA got to host another World Cup before England did. The USA already hosted it in 1994 and most of their population doesn't give a damn about football. By all means have it some time in the future but if somehow England doesn't get the World Cup in 2018 but the USA gets it in 2022 then it's time for England to boycott FIFA haha. tongue.gif

Must agree with all you said. I think they are probably keeping the terrorist target thing in the back of their heads and rightly so. Can England protect against a terrorist attack? Certainly Africa would have been a target and so far so good. Lets hope England does get the games. I have to tape todays game. Sucks. Just saw that shot again by the Netherlands. First goal. What a rocket. I would hope in four years soccer will be a bit bigger here. But its not going to find a place with the big four. Football, baseball, basketball and hockey any time soon. The MLS has survived so far, but I am particularly pissed that Rochester has not landed a franchise, even though they have a team in the other league that is pretty big. Rochester could outdraw alot of major cities and has been a pretty good soccer town since the days of the Lancers back in the 70s. Pele played against them when he was with the NY Cosmos.

Must agree with all you said. I think they are probably keeping the terrorist target thing in the back of their heads and rightly so. Can England protect against a terrorist attack? Certainly Africa would have been a target and so far so good. Lets hope England does get the games. I have to tape todays game. Sucks. Just saw that shot again by the Netherlands. First goal. What a rocket. I would hope in four years soccer will be a bit bigger here. But its not going to find a place with the big four. Football, baseball, basketball and hockey any time soon. The MLS has survived so far, but I am particularly pissed that Rochester has not landed a franchise, even though they have a team in the other league that is pretty big. Rochester could outdraw alot of major cities and has been a pretty good soccer town since the days of the Lancers back in the 70s. Pele played against them when he was with the NY Cosmos.

With Vancouver and Portland entering the league this coming season, I think the MLS will continue to expand albeit at a far more sensible pace than the old NASL. The league has a good buisness plan and if they stick to it, I think we'll see viable franchises for many years to come. What it doesn't need is a rogue owner coming in and upsetting the apple cart. There are enough fans of the game for the league to survive. It doesn't really have to compete with the other more established professional sports leagues. Seattle is averaging 40,000 for it's home games and I can think of a few British and European clubs who would love to have that problem

Must agree with all you said. I think they are probably keeping the terrorist target thing in the back of their heads and rightly so. Can England protect against a terrorist attack?

Yes very much so. After the surprise of 7/7, England has done a very good job of preventing terrorist attacks since the London bombings of 5 years ago.

I would hope in four years soccer will be a bit bigger here. But its not going to find a place with the big four. Football, baseball, basketball and hockey any time soon. The MLS has survived so far, but I am particularly pissed that Rochester has not landed a franchise, even though they have a team in the other league that is pretty big. Rochester could outdraw alot of major cities and has been a pretty good soccer town since the days of the Lancers back in the 70s. Pele played against them when he was with the NY Cosmos.

If anything would have made football much bigger in the US it surely would have been when the USA hosted the World Cup in 1994, but it didn't really happen after that. I honestly don't see what would change a great deal in the next four years. :(

I would hate to see Sunday's game decided by penalty kicks but with the patience of these two teams its a good possbility. Spain's biggest worry I think is being scored on with headers from corners. Speaking of which, after watching several times, Spain's goal was a thing of beauty!! A great header. Texbook setup! The final is tough to call. Will be a heck of a game. I just wonder how safe these teams will play it and for how long. I am sure neither wants any part of a penalty kick decision. The two best looking goals of the tournament have been scored by these two teams the last two games. Spain are the favorite but not a big favorite I guess. Could go either way.

Must agree with all you said. I think they are probably keeping the terrorist target thing in the back of their heads and rightly so. Can England protect against a terrorist attack?

We've been dealing with terrorist attacks for a lot longer than the USA has.

Spain (the team, but more importantly the nation) should not be in the final. It's just plain WRONG :(. Beautiful football? Bollocks. They're just as boring as the Greeks.

Oh, and a message for Carles 'Caveman' Puyol: Iron Maiden have already got at least three guitarists. They don't need you now, and they never will. So just grow up, and GET A FUCKING HAIRCUT.

We've been dealing with terrorist attacks for a lot longer than the USA has.

Lets hope neither of us has to deal with any of this crap again any time soon. You are correct but you were not hit like we were. To the magnitude of 911. Not that you can put a price on lives no matter the numbers but it was a rare event that could have been stopped.

You are correct but you were not hit like we were. To the magnitude of 911.

True but that was a one of a kind very freak day that's likely to never be repeated (thankfully).

England has a lot more experience in dealing with what I would call 'normal day to day terrorism' of the kind that would (if it ever happened) affect a World Cup or Olympics. Any terrorrists trying to disrupt a World Cup or Olympics aren't going to fly airplanes into a stadium. They would be foot terrorists probably targetting commuters/tourists on the public transport network.

I remember the height of IRA terrorism. The threat was almost a daily matter of fact thing for people in London. In fact as far as I'm concerned 'terrorism' was far more of a real concern back then than it is now. Terrorism isn't a new thing for us. It was worse under the IRA.

I remember the height of IRA terrorism. The threat was almost a daily matter of fact thing for people in London. In fact as far as I'm concerned 'terrorism' was far more of a real concern back then than it is now. Terrorism isn't a new thing for us. It was worse under the IRA.

Completely agree.

True but that was a one of a kind very freak day that's likely to never be repeated (thankfully).

England has a lot more experience in dealing with what I would call 'normal day to day terrorism' of the kind that would (if it ever happened) affect a World Cup or Olympics. Any terrorrists trying to disrupt a World Cup or Olympics aren't going to fly airplanes into a stadium. They would be foot terrorists probably targetting commuters/tourists on the public transport network.

I certainly agree with you on the methods they would attempt. Bastards that they are. Back to the game, this thread will disapear into the sunset soon after the final on Sunday and not be brought back to life for four years in Brazil. So who do you all like this weekend? Well, the third place game should be entertaining at least. I wonder if Diego Forlan can continue his brilliance in this World Cup that I enjoyed tremendously except for the blown calls and especially the one that did in the English.

Here goes: Germany 4 Uruguay 2 in a game that should be wide open

Netherlands 2 Spain 2 (game to be decided on PKs) your choice

I just saw the one English fan bellyaching to Nash about the US stealing 2 points from England and how they have the best team. Well, they did get robbed against Germany and we will never know how good they could have been if that goal counted. But how do you allow that Green guy to play in the World Cup when he cant stop a beach ball? And they should have had a better coach. They did not need to push the panic button early against Germany, but they did, and we all saw it coming. He pinced his defenders and it cost them dearly. The problems I have with this game are the offsides rule, they always call it defensively and dont ever give the offensive player the nod. For Gods sake, people want to see more scoring! And then if a terrible call is made, like the goal that did not count, it is just too much to overcome. In sports like Basketball or American Football, you can still come back and win. In soccer, its just too hard to score and a team with a one goal lead can make it stand up, like Spain did against Germany the other day. England and the USA, get your acts together for Brazil. You can believe Brazil and Argentina will be ready. Its been fun, too bad we have to wait four more years to see good soccer again in the USA.

Holland to win, deservedly. Here's how I came to this conclusion:

Take a stroll through Amsterdam. What do you see? Shops full of beautiful women and beautiful drugs.

Try the same in Barcelona, and all you'll see is bizarre, crypto-satanic Catholic rituals, and a surfeit of excessive female hirsuteness in inappropriate bodily areas. Oh, and people who sound like they're expectorating all the time.

Archived