Whatcha reading?

Rock N' Rollin' Man

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

It's about a group of people who end up in an unlikely literary society during German occupation of Guernsey, a Channel Island. So far, it's a light book to read in the sunshine. :D

Wow, I'm in the middle of a bunch of books right now. A few of them I am reading for the second time.

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Lakota Way by J.M. Marshall III

Seeker of Visions by John Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes

The Sacred Pipe by Joseph Epes Brown

War and Peace by Tolstoy

A Life Wild and Perilous by Robert M. Utley

The Short Reign of Pippin IV by Steinbeck

Wow, I'm in the middle of a bunch of books right now. A few of them I am reading for the second time.

War and Peace by Tolstoy

How far along are you. Just downloaded this to my Kindle, not sure when I will read this, maybe not until next year.

That's next on my list :)

I have to warn you that it's pretty heavy on the science. Also, you won't be able to properly enjoy an asteroid movie after reading this book. You'll just be shaking your head the whole time. :D

If that doesn't bother you, enjoy!

How far along are you. Just downloaded this to my Kindle, not sure when I will read this, maybe not until next year.

Haha, funny you should ask because I am only about 35 pages into it so far (with 1350 to go!!). They say its the best novel ever written, so I'm going to give it a chance. I am usually a non-fiction guy but historical fiction can be great also. I am a big fan of Stienbeck. I've read about 18 of his books in the last couple of years. He has a wonderful way of providing a historically accurate and believable milieu within which to create ficticious characters.

...on another tangent: I love to listen to music while I read, am I the only one? My wife needs absolute silence

to read and I wonder which one of us is (more) insane. Thoughts?

Yeah, the guys from Muse obviously spend a lot of time reading 1984 before going into the studio!

Their most recent album, the Resistance, is basically the musical biography of winston and julia.

Cool. I just got the Muse cd and I have read 1984 a couple of times over the years. I will keep my ear out for the Orwellian influence. Zeppelin fans are wickid smaht!!

592.jpg

Kerry Emanuel has been chosen as one of TIME Magazine's 100 People Who Shape Our World

Named One of the Top Twenty Science Books of 2005 by Discover Magazine

Description

Imagine standing at the center of a Roman coliseum that is 20 miles across, with walls that soar 10 miles into the sky, towering walls with cascades of ice crystals falling along its brilliantly white surface. That's what it's like to stand in the eye of a hurricane.

In Divine Wind , Kerry Emanuel, one of the world's leading authorities on hurricanes, gives us an engaging account of these awe-inspiring meteorological events, revealing how hurricanes and typhoons have literally altered human history, thwarting military incursions and changing the course of explorations. Offering an account of the physics of the tropical atmosphere, the author explains how such benign climates give rise to the most powerful storms in the world and tells what modern science has learned about them. Interwoven with this scientific account are descriptions of some of the most important hurricanes in history and relevant works of art and literature. For instance, he describes the 17th-century hurricane that likely inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest and that led to the British colonization of Bermuda. We also read about the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, by far the worst natural calamity in U.S. history, with a death toll between 8,000 and 12,000 that exceeded the San Francisco earthquake, the Johnstown Flood, and the Okeechobee Hurricane co Boasting more than one hundred color illustrations, frommbined. Boasting more than one hundred color illustrations, from ultra-modern Doppler imagery to classic paintings by Winslow Homer, Divine Wind captures the profound effects that hurricanes have had on humanity. Its fascinating blend of history, science, and art will appeal to weather junkies, science buffs, and everyone who read Isaac's Storm .

Just finished Heretics, didn't have ChapterHouse: Dune, so I went backwards and started in on God Emperor of Dune.

One of the poorest-designed covers in the whole series, btw.

250px-God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg

Just finished Heretics, didn't have ChapterHouse: Dune, so I went backwards and started in on God Emperor of Dune.

One of the poorest-designed covers in the whole series, btw.

250px-God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg

Why did I just snicker after seeing the cover?

:angel:

Hi T Y'All,

Shouldnt the "Menopause" be in there somewhere? i know my wife suffers from it everytime the tempreture rises above 40c and when i tell her she has her Head in the Clouds, around 31,000ft i think. :o

Regards, Danny

Why did I just snicker after seeing the cover?

:angel:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt about having a dirty mind, I'll reiterate what a poorly-designed cover it is.

Not only is it proportioned wrong, but it looks like he's made of blocks.

There does, however, remain the possibility that you do just have a dirty mind, in which case the possibilities with that cover are infinite. :P

Archived