TSRTS MSG Performances

Gip

So, the band obviously knew they were being being filmed, and recorded during these MSG shows. So I'm wondering how much harder they tried during these performances, and if the usual Zep partying was dumbed down. I know I've heard Page say they weren't as "magical" as some of their performances, but to me they are still pretty amazing, even though the album is edited from 3 different shows.

So, the band obviously knew they were being being filmed, and recorded during these MSG shows. So I'm wondering how much harder they tried during these performances, and if the usual Zep partying was dumbed down. I know I've heard Page say they weren't as "magical" as some of their performances, but to me they are still pretty amazing, even though the album is edited from 3 different shows.

Page has said that during the course of these shows he didn't sleep at all. Five days it was I believe, I sometimes can't believe he's still alive. Just look at him in the late 70's and early 80's.

Now most versions from these, especially the "touched up" release ones are probably best or near best of the tour, but its by a very fractional margin. 1973-07-17 Seattle is outstanding and if you take the SIBLY for example you will find its nearly identical, especially to the casual ear. I bet the differences are only between 1 - 5%.

The MSG shows are nothing compared to the European tour of the same year.

Disagree only because Robert's voice was better by the end of that year. I think there are a some shows in the US tour that are better than the NYC show.

I definately think you can hear the band know its being recorded, the 27th is maybe the tighest most professional show of the tour BUT I'd say that comes at the cost of losing some of the energy shows like LA, Seattle and Detroit had let alone the european shows. I think thats part of the reason the album has always had a hard time with the critics, its a great display of musical ability but besides perhaps SIBLY it does sound a bit like a measured display musical talent rather than the hell for leather atmosphere that made the band famous.

Disagree only because Robert's voice was better by the end of that year. I think there are a some shows in the US tour that are better than the NYC show.

Just listen to how musically in sync the band was though, especially Bonzo and Page. Dazed and Confused from that tour is devastating. The level of spontaneity is also insane, always the best feature of live performances.

I feel like WLL, Stairway, and Dazed are extremely good, while the rest is a bit ragged. But those three songs go a long way towards summing up the band, if you had to name three tunes, right? :)

Coming out of the Page's guitar solo in Dazed, when Bonzo goes into the very fast triplets in synch with Jimmy, right before the tune slows back down....that's as tight as anything that's ever been played by anyone.

Just listen to how musically in sync the band was though, especially Bonzo and Page. Dazed and Confused from that tour is devastating. The level of spontaneity is also insane, always the best feature of live performances.

Musically, the European run was the highlight of 1973 but I have to agree, with Plant sounding better and the band still playing their hearts out in mid July, they were better.

Page said he spent some time working out certain sections before they did the MSG run, just so it would be that much better. I'm assuming he's referring to NQ, DnC and WLL. Of course, the Boogie Chillin included on the soundtrack is probably the definitive Jimmy Page boogie of all time. On a 5 day bender nonetheless!! ;)

Archived