Greensboro 1977 film footage

sam_webmaster

How cool was Jimmy in '77? just check out the ciggy and the sunglasses.

Also Sam, what version of the 26/5 show is that? I assume it's the 26th, doesn't sound bassy enough to be the 28th board. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the version I've got.

• Administrators

Very nice Sam! Thanks. Can you give us any further information about the video and if there is more?

Unfortunately, that's all there is. He managed to do one complete 3 minute reel, before getting caught filming at the end of the first song.

Unfortunately, that's all there is. He managed to do one complete 3 minute reel, before getting caught filming at the end of the first song.

No doubt Mr. Cole spotted him. :D

No doubt Mr. Cole spotted him. :D

Or maybe not...the dude's still alive, after all...and he got out of the venue with his face, the film and the camera intact!

See, this is why we need to be grateful to those who had the cajones to record/film Zep shows on the sly...especially knowing what tyrants Mssrs Grant and Cole et al could be.

How does this footage make its appearance 33 years later? What's up with that

The same way old, previously uncirculating audio makes an appearance years after the fact: the tapes or film are found in an old box in the attic or garage...usually by fluke or by accident! Christ, until Sam upped this Greensboro footage, I don't think there was any audio or video even rumoured to exist for this show! Hence why I'm glad to have it...the Greensboro '77 show has long been one of my Zeppelin "Holy Grails".

I saw them the night before. Was any sound from this night? It was 33 yrs ago last night! What I would give to relive that night.

2j3qvjs.jpg

Hey, I remember that design from my Yes & Frampton CapC gigs!! Just one thing: how come they spell 'Centre' correctly? Or is it only the yee-haws who spell it 'Center'??

As for 30.5.77 recording, this can easily be found on blogs. Search using the date. Not sure how many versions exist, but mine's called 'Running on Pure Heart and Soul'.

Archived