Better Late Than Never

BlackDog71

I know we all love Led Zeppelin on here. For most of us, they are the most pleasurable musical expirence we can have. I know that, however, there are songs from them that we just didn't like. We all got into them in a different way, but one thing is for sure, the more you listen to them, the more you love them.

We have all had Zeppelin songs that we didn't like the first time we heard it. But as time progressed, we began to like it a little more and even dare to say, LOVE. I have quite a few:

"Your Time Is Gonna Come" - I always loved the opening. John Paul Jones shines bright in this song. I always noticed his greatness but the rest of the song was stale and boring to me. I began to hear it on the radio every now and then. I started to tap my feet and fingers along to it and the next thing I knew, I was choosing it to listen to on my iPod. Sometimes songs these good take a while or you have to find one thing about the song to love and the rest will fall into place. This song is a perfect example of that.

"Ramble On" - I never had anything against this song but I always found myself skipping over it for some reason. I just gave it a listen one day and the lyrics and Page's guitar really made me learn to love it. It's now one of my favorite driving songs. Such a catchy tune with great lyrics. I feel this was a song that truly represented what the band was about at the time.

"Tangerine" - I never used to like the sound of the song. I thought it sounded "under-produced" for some reason. I then gave a listen to Zep III all over again and this song just clicked with me. I love the melody, the riff, how Plant's lyrics and Page's guitar sync up. I love the middle section and the small guitar solo.

"Four Sticks" - I actually read a few articles about how this song came to be and after the reading, I listened closer to the song and grew to love it for how creative and catchy it is. Bonham's drum beat at the beginning with his "four stick" sound makes it pretty easy to enjoy.

"The Rain Song" - I just used to skip past it because of the slow pace. Now it might just be my favorite Zeppelin song ever. The lyrics and musicianship are flawless. Just a beautiful song. I can't put into words how much I truly love this song.

"Down By The Seaside" - One of the many different styles of music that one can hear on the "Physical Graffiti" album. I just hated the stlye at first and branded it "UNZEPPELIN" for a while. As I began to love Zeppelin and their style more, I realized that this song was what Zep was all about. Going in a new and creative direction. It has that relaxed feel, with a great vocal performance and a cathy riff and a very rockin' middle section. This song truly makes you feel as if you are down by the seaside.

"Candy Store Rock" - Plant's Elvis style delivery used to turn me off but I gave the song a chance the more I got into the "Presence" album and this is one of my guilry pleasure songs. I love the riff, the silly lyrics, and how Plant's voice and Page's guitar keep this song fun and light all the way through.

"I'm Gonna Crawl" - Believe it or not, I used to loathe this song. I did not care for the opening synth and the way it started used to grate on my nerves. I thought it was too cheesy and boring of a ballad for a band like Zeppelin. I heard it one day by accident while working out and the song stopped me in my tracks. The sure beauty of Plant's voice, and the lyrics give it a dramatic feel. The whole song is capped off my Plant's epic scream near the end of the song. Just a truly great song to finish the final studio album Led Zeppelin would ever produce.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am sure I might have a couple more but these are the ones I know off the top of my head. I did happen to notice that it basically turned out to be one song per album. This was by accident but I decided to list them in order of album. I just hope others have gone through phases with songs or found ways to love songs they initally dismissed. I am intersted to hear other peoples stories.

I used to dislike Four Sticks, it was too stale for me,but after a while the riff just grew on me, and I love it now. Underrated imo.

I used to hate Night Flight, I dunno why actually. But now I realised it's a nice fun tune, enjoyable!

hats off To Roy harper - Just thought it was really weird, but now I appreciate it as a nice blues tribute kind of thing.

In The Light was always a decent song to me, noyl recently I began to realise the sheer epicness of it.

Carouselambra - Loved it, hated it, loved it again. Basically all I can say. :P

Songs I still can't get into:

D'yer Maker

Hots on For Nowhere

Fool in the Rain (lowest played Zep song in my iTunes, 1 play, I can only usually get 3/4s domne before I just skip it)

Kashmir (too repetetive for my liking, though I still think it's a decent song)

I used to find "Battle of Evermore" jarring, but after hearing live versions I changed my mind and have learned to love it.

I still don't like "Thank You" much but the live versions are good so I may come around on that one too.

I have to agree with Sick Tangerine that "D'yer Maker" and "Fool in the Rain" are on the bottom of my list. I don't think I will ever like them.

A good majority of ITTOD. I'm Gonna Crawl and All My Love were the only songs I initially really loved off of it, then I really listened to the rest and think it's a great, great album. A fitting end, as it turned out to be.

I never had to have any of them grow on me :P Loved them all from the first listen. :peace:

Me too! :D The only one that took a while to grow on me is Hats Off To Harper. At first it took me a while to listen to the whole song I would just skip it when I heard the intro. of it.

The Rain Song, No Quarter, Four Sticks, Thank You, Sick Again, and pretty much all of the songs on LZ III have grown on me over time.

While I appreciate the tightness of it, "The Crunge" is one that just never hit me like the rest.

I've always loved The Crunge. I don't understand why it isn't a great song to so many people.

"Down By The Seaside" - One of the many different styles of music that one can hear on the "Physical Graffiti" album. I just hated the stlye at first and branded it "UNZEPPELIN" for a while. As I began to love Zeppelin and their style more, I realized that this song was what Zep was all about. Going in a new and creative direction. It has that relaxed feel, with a great vocal performance and a cathy riff and a very rockin' middle section. This song truly makes you feel as if you are down by the seaside.

I never really realised properly how beautiful this song is, its wonderful, and it follows on from Bron-Y-Aur perfectly, one of my fave Zep songs for sure, i havn't stopped listening to it for days, or the whole of Graffiti for that matter!!

Could never really get into "D'yer Maker" or "Down By The Seaside". All these years later, I still can't laugh.gif

Not a big fan of the studio version of Kashmir either bagoverhead.gif

Could never really get into "D'yer Maker" or "Down By The Seaside". All these years later, I still can't :lol:

Not a big fan of the studio version of Kashmir either bagoverhead.gif

Ally, you're havin a laugh mate, you couldn't get in to "D'yer Maker"?, try Caribbean Airways, and whats this about "Down By The Seaside"? well all i can say is "You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin', I'm gonna send you back to schoolin" :lol: and as for the bag over your head, keep it on, Kashmir? whats not to like? and "Let me take you there. Let me take you there" ;)

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Ally, you're havin a laugh mate, you couldn't get in to "D'yer Maker"?, try Caribbean Airways, and whats this about "Down By The Seaside"? well all i can say is "You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin', I'm gonna send you back to schoolin" laugh.gif and as for the bag over your head, keep it on, Kashmir? whats not to like? and "Let me take you there. Let me take you there" wink.gif

Very Kind Regards, Danny

biggrin.gif Hi Danny

I suppose I was spoiled by having seen the band on the 75 tour so the studio version of Kashmir just seemed weak to me. As for the other two, hopefully I have another 40yrs for them to grow on me tongue.giflaugh.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The Song Remains The Same, Going To California, The Battle Of Evermore and Sick Again have grown on me. But there are still some growing on me such as SIBLY and I'm Gonna Crawl.

I used to skip Ten years gone, but now it becomes my ultimate favorite for Zep! :)

I used to hate Achilles Last Stand then I realised that I was actually a fool :D

I used to hate Gallow Pole, but when I listened to it several times I fell it love with it, so as No Quarter.

and now, proudly, there is no Zep track that I dislike! everyday I realise how great their songs are :)

Hat's off to Harper may be the only Zep tune I skipped as a kid as I was discovering them. Down by the Seaside took a while for me and Thank You was so out of place on the second album I sometimes had to skip it strickly for rockin purposes. Boogie with Stu took a while too.

I love all Zeppelin's music. I have been listening to it since I was 15, I'm now 31. One song that I've really come to appreciate more as I've grown up is No Quarter - musically I think this song is a masterpiece, and is now one of my favourites.

The only songs that I don't really listen to that much Dyer Maker and Hats Off to Roy Harper.

For me it had to be D'yer maker. when i first heard them.. i heard the begining and just wasnt interested.. but now i'm in love with it just like any zeppelin song

I feel the same way about the song. I have learned to enjoy the drumming and the groove the band put into it. Just a fun song on a very fun album. It's important not to take the song too seriously.

The most recent ones to grow on me (the last few months). Would have to be:

Over the Hills and Far Away

The Rover

The Ocean

They were just songs that came on my Zeppelin play list, and now they are 3 of my favorites.

biggrin.gif Hi Danny

I suppose I was spoiled by having seen the band on the 75 tour so the studio version of Kashmir just seemed weak to me. As for the other two, hopefully I have another 40yrs for them to grow on me tongue.giflaugh.gif

I was initially shocked by your verdict on Kashmir, but this makes sense. Having got to know "Midnight Moonlight" live before the album came out, I was hugely disappointed in it. I still prefer the live version by miles. But if I had heard the album version first, I'm sure I'd have fallen in love.

Archived