Robert Plant Premieres New Album In London

jayjay96

I see at least four 'bands' on the cover....the ring on the pillow, the big one surrounding all the figures, the musical one, and the one in 'Joy'.

Good point there, PhxHorn. :)

Also four Bands (from Robert's career represented):

1) Band of JOy (ring)

2) Led Zeppelin (monkey with eyes closed)

3) Strange Sensation (Cat with Human characteristics and musical horn)

4) Clown/ Jester --- maybe Robert himself poking fun at himself or at others with their perception of what his image should be)???

R B)

Great thread - it's amusing reading the deciphering of the cover's meaning.

Maybe it does have a lot of hidden meaning. Could Plant have learned from Page about making the fans wonder? You know, leave them guessing. It's not a stretch. Or . . . . maybe it's as simple, with all the ring symbolism, that Robert feels like he's come full circle? Makes you wonder. <_<

All I know is that I can't wait to see him next month and can't wait to get the CD.

Hi Deb! :wave:

Great thread - it's amusing reading the deciphering of the cover's meaning.

Maybe it does have a lot of hidden meaning. Could Plant have learned from Page about making the fans wonder? You know, leave them guessing. It's not a stretch. Or . . . . maybe it's as simple, with all the ring symbolism, that Robert feels like he's come full circle? Makes you wonder. <_<

All I know is that I can't wait to see him next month and can't wait to get the CD.

Hi Deb! :wave:

... interesting song titles, too:

Angel Dance

House of Cards

Central Two-O-Nine

Silver Rider

You Can’t Buy my Love

I’m Falling In Love Again

The Only Sound That Matters

Monkey

Cindy, I’ll Marry You One Day

Harms Swift Way

Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

Even This Shall Pass Away

http://www.robertplant.com/press/first-look-robert-plants-band-of-joy/#more-1965

Hopefully, those other 13 or 14 songs he recorded over that short stretch of time will be added (in a deluxe version or show up on the other album he mentioned (double album).

R B)

This is from Amazon Uk.

61zDdkmy6oL._SS500_.jpg

Just a couple more ideas....

Do I understand the symbol of the maple leaf to be an allegiance to the Crown?

If I remember correctly during Robert's interview while being awarded the CBE that when he was asked to "perform" for them.....he did not want to as he would be just like a monkey performing!

And the obvious Nine Lives reference(the cat)!

Of course he is the only one left to hold the ring for the Band Of Joy......

Not sad here. *Glad* to see that the moron who tried to pass off "It's Rude to Say No" as the album title has been exposed for the total fraud that he is. I'm still finding it hard to believe that legitimate media thought this source was legitimate. What a pathetic joke.

Love,

Billy

In the past the media reported different titles which most bands have "working titles" of songs and album titles...I remember a different titles buzzing around for Mighty ReArranger

I'm looking forward to hearing "Angel Dance"

~"With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she shall have music where ever she goes..."~

Starting to think the "House of Cards" in the track listing is actually the Radiohead tune from In Rainbows, not the song of the same name by America.

And good call by Deborah and whatever your name is re: the Elvis delivery of Cindy.

Love,

Billy

'House of Cards' by Radiohead is a fantastic song, (fantastic album too). I hope this is a cover by Robert as it would be interesting to hear his take on it.

Agree, it's a great song. The reason I think it may be the Radiohead tune is because of that email from Nigel Grainge that says he played Robert *90* contemporary songs to consider for The Band of Joy project. Stands to reason House of Cards by Radiohead could be one of them, along with those two Low tracks.

From Nigel's web site: "In 2002, Nigel relocated to Los Angeles and is now consulting with artists, publishing and record companies by using his enormous tunes database to provide uncovered gems for artists to record. A recent visitor has been Robert Plant who is considering several of the songs for new projects, including a follow-up to his enormously successful LP with Alison Krauss."

I'm also starting to think there is no such song House of Cards *by the band America*. The song's lyrics are attributed to that band on one website, but I can't confirm it anywhere else.

Love,

Billy

Totally agree about the music, about clowns, but--not so much about the cover. :D They're going to have to sell it to me in a brown paper wrapper. :ph34r:

glad i'm not the only one who doesn't like the cover! :blink:

maybe it has hidden meanings .... or maybe it's just the cover of an old childrens book, perhaps one robert had as a boy. that's what it looks like to me anyway.

It'd be strange if House of Cards was a Radiohead cover, especially since Plant said he disliked Radiohead a while back (at least I think he did?)

Still, it would be interesting to hear his take on the song!

Louie Perez of Los Lobos comments about Robert recording "Angel Dance" on his new album.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=58658

According to the interview, it looks like Robert and company invited the two from Los Lobos to be included in a video , so, this could be the first single from the upcoming album (or at least, a single for the album at some point). :)

R B)

It'd be strange if House of Cards was a Radiohead cover, especially since Plant said he disliked Radiohead a while back (at least I think he did?)

Yeah it was about 10 years ago and he heard them at a bar or something like that and he basically said "Turn that crap off"

• 3 weeks later...

Well, turns out I was dead wrong not once, but twice! re: "House of Cards"

Not America and not Radiohead. It's a Richard Thompson song. Introduced as such last night in Memphis.

Hanging my head in shame...

Love,

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, the first song - Angel Dance - and the last - Even This Shall Pass Away - are my two LEAST favorite songs on the record. In fact, I hate them both. I'm also a little perplexed over the decision to cover Low's Monkey. The BoJ arrangement is virtually identical to the original. So why bother? Still, it's probably the best tune on the CD.

And somebody please convince Robert to take the mic out of his mouth in the studio. Those "hushed, up close" vocals just don't work and get worse and worse every time. I'm still giving the album 3.5/5 stars. The tracks that are good are very good. Harms Swift Way and Monkey are the highlights.

Love,

Billy

Archived