Motörhead

Surprised there hasn't been a Motörhead thread already but here it is. Great heavy metal/hard rock band. Lemmy has to be the coolest frontman along with Bon Scott to ever grace the stage.

Lemmy was in Hawkwind before this, another great band.

My favorite album of theirs has to be Ace of Spades. Need to see them live.

I'm not the biggest Motorhead fan ever, but I like them a lot ever since I first got into hard rock/metal.

I have "On Parole", "Over Kill", "Ace of Spades", "Bomber" and "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" on CD.

I also have "Motorhead Live: Everything Louder Than Everything Else" on VHS

I've seen them live twice. The first time was at Wembley Arena in 2001 with support from Hawkwind and Anthrax. A real treat was when Lemmy joined Hawkwind on stage for "Silver Machine". Motorhead were awesome that night. I know I said I'm not their biggest fan ever but, as a live act they're unbeatable. I've seen other bands as good, but never better.

The second time was in 2003 at Sherwood Forest. Another brilliant gig. Probably not as good as they were at Wembley, but a great atmosphere due to the venue. If you ever get the chance to see a band in a forest, do it.

I've also seen Motorhead twice. 1976 and 1977, Both times at Digbys nightclub In Birkenhead (just across the River Mersey from Liverpool)The first time i was expecting Larry Wallis on Guitar, it turned out to be Eddie Clarke instead. I thought they were pretty good as did the other people i was with....not so the other club goers as they all drifted away during their set...they really did make a big noise, the equipment was on it's last legs with buzzes squeaks and rattling speaker cabs. by the time they had finished there was about a dozen people left in the club. We had a chat with Lemmy amd co and they thanked us for hanging on. The second time a year(ish) later at the same veue was a different story they were promoting their 1st LP and this time the club stayed full. Lemmy remembered us from the previous gig and i got the beers in in the private members bar. I also bought their LP and got them to autograph it....Lemmy's sig was preceded by a word that looked like Aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh. (oh no not another f'in autograph) They came to Birkenhead the following year ( different venue) but i miissed that one after i was laid up after a bad car smash..............Happy days.

Motörhead is undeniable one hell of a great band. I really like the albums Bomber, Overkill and Ace of Spades. I can't say I have heard that much of Hawkwind though.

Motörhead is undeniable one hell of a great band. I really like the albums Bomber, Overkill and Ace of Spades. I can't say I have heard that much of Hawkwind though.

Try Doremi Fasol Latido or Space Ritual first. Played bass along with vocals with 'em from 1971 to '75.

I can't say I have heard that much of Hawkwind though.

This is one of my favourites. :)

Actually it's 2 songs (Assault & Battery/The Golden Void), but they segue together so well that you can't have one without the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYY7HNJq_Ng

It's from an album called Warrior on the Edge of Time, released in 1975. Lemmy was still on bass at this point, it was his last Hawkwind album.

• 4 months later...

My chance to see them is coming up.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147639

Motörhead's new studio album, "The World Is Yours", will be out in January, followed by a U.S. tour. Also in January, the long-awaited "Lemmy" movie, previously featured at film festivals around the country to great acclaim, will premiere nationally.

A friend of mine once related a story of Lemmy jumping into a crowd swinging his mic at concertgoers. My friend then said, "now, just how rock n' roll is that?" I couldn't agree with it being cool at all. Sounds more like someone being an asshole. Then again, I'm not sure if the crowd did something to provoke him. Still, I don't think it's "rock n' roll" or cool at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to Ady's posting of the 24th, here are more details. First of all we've had Johnny Rotten advertising butter, then Iggy Pop flogging insurance and, now this .......

Source: www.utalkmarketing.com

Motorhead reworks classic 'Ace of Spades' for new Kronenbourg ad

Oct 26, 2010

Global rock giants Motörhead have created a slowed down version of their signature track, 'Ace of Spades' as the focus point for a new integrated advertising campaign for premium lager brand Kronenbourg 1664.

Launching this week, it's 30 years to the week since the track was first released, and had been specially re-written by the band for the lager campaign.

Elements encompass TV, a short-film documentary, a print campaign and a social media outreach with a branded Youtube channel.

Created by BBH the ethos is rooted in the idea that Kronenbourg 1664 is a beer with a lingering complexity that deserves to be savoured slowly.

The idea will be brought to life through a series of unique musical experiments where artists are commissioned to re-write and record a slowed down, chilled out version of one of their most famous fast tracks.

The centre piece ad, which will appear as a 60-second TV execution, was shot in a French bar and shows patrons relaxing and chatting while Motörhead plays the new version of the song, with founder member and lead singer Lemmy on harmonica rather than his familiar electric bass guitar.

An accompanying film documentary charts the the process of the band re-writing the track in the studio. All film assets will be housed on youtube.com/kronenbourg1664 and the track is being made available for download at k1664.co.uk.

"Showing Motörhead performing a memorably different version of their legendary 'Ace of Spades' track as they enjoy Kronenbourg 1664 is a powerful and innovative way to deliver the core advertising message that Kronenbourg 1664 is a beer that is brewed to be enjoyed slowly - in any circumstances," said Senior Brand Manager - Kronenbourg 1664 at Heineken UK, Lucas Bergmans.

The TV campaign will be supplemented by a series of product-focused national newspaper advertisements which will aim to reinforce Kronenbourg 1664's positioning as a premium French beer with a rich flavour and provenance that is fully appreciated when savoured slowly.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine once related a story of Lemmy jumping into a crowd swinging his mic at concertgoers. My friend then said, "now, just how rock n' roll is that?" I couldn't agree with it being cool at all. Sounds more like someone being an asshole. Then again, I'm not sure if the crowd did something to provoke him. Still, I don't think it's "rock n' roll" or cool at all.

What do you think of their music?

What do you think of their music?

It's not really my cup of tea. They're one of those bands I can appreciate for their influence but I've never been into them.

Heard about this new Lemmy documentary: 49% Motherfucker, 51% Son of a Bitch? According to this post on a local blog details will be revealed tomorrow at lemmymovie.com.

It's not really my cup of tea. They're one of those bands I can appreciate for their influence but I've never been into them.

Heard about this new Lemmy documentary: 49% Motherfucker, 51% Son of a Bitch? According to this post on a local blog details will be revealed tomorrow at lemmymovie.com.

Looking forward to its DVD release wish I could see it in a movie theater but I'm sure the closest they'll show it will be in L.A. as with the release of the Rush documentary. I read from somewhere else that the DVD release date is set for January 24, 2011 I guess the official date will be announced in some hours from now.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149898

Lemmy (full title: Lemmy: 49% Motherfucker 51% Son Of A Bitch), the long-awaited documentary examining the life and career of Motörhead frontman and rock icon Lemmy Kilmister, will be released on DVD (a two-DVD set "loaded with incredibly awesome bonus"), Blu-ray and digital download on in the U.S. on February 15. In mid-January, the film will hit select theaters in the U.S. (mostly major markets).

Lemmy co-director/co-producer Wes Orshoski told Blabbermouth.net, "We can't wait for the fans to get their hands on the DVD, which will be a two-disc set in most of the world. The North Amercian version of the film will be the only one to carry all of our bonus content, which we slaved over night and day for something like 35 days straight last summer. We wanted to really serve fans and give them everything that we could. Basically, we designed the U.S. DVD release to be a treasure trove of everything Lemmy. People will get the movie, and then something like four hours of bonus content. More details on that coming soon, but needless to say, the fans will be stoked!"

A new official trailer for Lemmy can be viewed below.

This is somewhat related. In 1984 Hawkwind hired a bassist by the name of Alan Davey after he'd been sending them tapes of him playing for a year. He was a fan who was inspired to play bass at the age of 15 after hearing Lemmy's playing on the early Hawkwind albums. Before joining Hawkwind he was in a band called Gunslinger who formed in 1979. They never released any material, but had gained a bit of a following as a live act. After leaving Hawkwind in 2006 he got his old band together again and recorded the old songs they'd written nearly 30 years before, for an album called Earthquake in E Minor in 2008.

On certain songs they sound just like Motorhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS2GhtvMlrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VkljcN_y24

Archived