Rush

lzzoso

• 2 weeks later...

Rush's Geddy Lee Explains His Right-Hand Technique: Les Claypool Inspired Me, Huge Respect for Him

Rush bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee discussed his approach to right-hand playing technique these days, revealing that Primus bassistLes Claypool made a big impact on him with that funky groove.

It is no secret that Les is a big fan of Geddy and the gang, as he recently even named Lee his all-time favorite bassist, but it would seem that the influence is mutual after all.

Geddy tells Fender: "In the early 2000s, we were touring a lot with Primus, and I have huge respect for Les Claypool as a bass player, and as a fisherman, and as a wine maker. He's a super cool guy.

"I really got off on watching how he approached the instrument. He used to say to me, 'You're a big influence on me,' but I didn't really hear that in his playing, because he's got his own style, and it's very rhythmic.

"I like that, and I always found it foreign to the way I play. I found my playing very white Canadian man. [Laughs]He has a sense of rhythm that I found very appealing."

He added: "And at the same time, there were all these bass players that were doing this slap and pop, which didn't really feel like my kind of thing. In an effort to bring more rhythm to my playing, I just started messing with my approach to writing a bass part."

Discussing how at the time he made an agreement with drummer Neil Peart to add more of a funky feeling to Rush music, Lee noted:

"I don't play with a pick, and I never have, but I play with my nails quite a bit, so I can get a lot of twang when I need to - I use the edge of my nail.

"The advantage of a pick is that you can go upstrokes and downstrokes back and forth. So I just started varying that style and adding some funk to it. That's how it developed, and then I got kinda carried away with it."

You can check out Mr. Geddy doing his thing below.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rushs_geddy_lee_explains_his_right-hand_technique_les_claypool_inspired_me_huge_respect_for_him.html#5124926

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well--if all goes right--I'll be watching R40 sometime tomorrow afternoon. And looking at Amazon's page for R40, I'm always a little amazed how there can be over a handful of reviews for a product that has not even been released.

And most of the carping seems to be the usual for just about every Rush concert release going back to Rush in Rio--that is, fans moaning about the audio quality (oi vey)...

:wacko:

Enjoy that, Paul!  How many dvd's of Rush do you have now?  I received a clip of Xanadu on twitter the other day.  I might have to get this one.  The last one I have was the 30 year anniversary, I believe?  It was the one where they acted like other types of bands playing Tom Sawyer, etc.

• 2 months later...

My participation in this thread has been incredibly quiet and that's because words fail me when I try and describe how much I love Rush! Nevertheless, after months of lurking, I'm going to try and give it a go! 

I discovered Rock's greatest trio, back in June, 2015, thanks to a nifty little website called Youtube. It was (what began as) an ordinary and lazy Sunday morning. I have this immense thirst to discover 'new' music during my spare time and Youtube, thankfully, obliges my request through its incredible Recommended For You mechanism. I am a huge fan of Queen (got into their music, when I was just 3 years old, thanks to my dad) and I do love bands like Yes (again, thanks to my dad).

I was listening to a couple of songs from Queen II and The Yes Album on constant rotation, when a few videos with song titles like 2112, Bastille Day, The Fountain of Lamneth, Anthem, Fly By Night, Xanadu and The Trees caught my attention. Out of curiosity, I picked the song 2112 to listen to first, as the album cover really fascinated me, no end! And then it hit me! The Sci-fi sounds, the aggressive and awe-inspiring guitar riffs, the out of this world lyrics and the goosebumps inducing vocal range of the front man (the last time someone's vocal abilities inspired that sort of a reaction from me, was when I listened to Black Dog, for the first time)! I was floored! I thought to myself 'who are these guys?!'. I wanted more and more and more. I spent the entire morning, greedily looking for songs by Rush and time and time again, I experienced a plethora of emotions like joy, awe, euphoria, admiration and absolute contentment. It was like an obsession that fine Sunday morning and probably the best Sunday that I ever had! :D 

I then felt the incredible need to see what the band looked like and I of course, came across the video for the song Anthem! Again, this was another song that left me gobsmacked! I then, got to watch the brilliant documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage (I now own a DVD copy) and I was thrilled that I got to know the band even better and they struck me as incredibly humble guys, with a great sense of humour and immense passion for music! One aspect that struck me was the so-called Down The Tubes Tour and how much the album Caress of Steel, got them into trouble. I was incredibly shocked to hear all the criticism against that album! To me, it sounded like one of the greatest progressive rock albums that I ever had the pleasure of listening to (apart from gems like Moving Pictures, of course)! I even loved kick-ass songs like I Think I'm Going Bald! It was like every song had a story to tell and a message to convey! I had to own that album!! Sadly, no record store near me, had it in stock, so I had to resort to Amazon and after 6 agonizing weeks (at one point, I even thought that the shipment had got lost in the mail!), I finally had the CD in my hand!

Within the next 6 months, I then proceeded to stock up on Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. It's been such a wonderful musical journey so far and it always excites me, to witness the evolution of the band's incredible sound, through the years! B) I am taking my time to explore this brilliant band's catalog, as IMHO, each Rush album is like fine wine and exploration of this catalog, must by no means, be rushed (no pun intended)! I am now, going to be stocking up on Signals, Test For Echo, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels within the next couple of months! 

With each passing month, as my love for Rush deepened,  I have come to realize what a massive void there was, in my music collection! I guess there has always been a feeling that something vital was missing and that something, was Rush! My only regret is not discovering them, sooner! I am one of those fans who teared up, when she watched the video for the song Subdivisions, for the first time. I was that kid in the video. A (proud) misfit. It was as if this song had been written for me, practically depicting all my experiences, in high school! 

I was practically laughing and crying at the same time, when I came across Alex's magnificent Blah Blah Blah speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, practically telling all the critics, to get stuffed! His speech will go down as one of the all-time greatest, as time passes by!

Never have I ever identified myself with a band, this much and I have never felt this excited about any band, before (no, not even about the mighty Led Zeppelin)! I am beginning to regard Rush as my band! I discovered and fell in love with this band, all on my own with no recommendations from anyone and that feels so good, as I used to depend heavily on my mom's and dad's music collection, to familiarize myself with music from the 60's and 70's! Hell, even my dad (who introduced me to bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Baker-Gurvitz Army, Cream and many more), is now a fan! We even listened to 2112, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres together, on my 28th birthday and it filled me with such joy to have been able to introduce my dad, to such a great band!

All in all, I became a fan, not because of any hype or bullshit, but just because of honest to goodness brilliant music straight from the heart, with each song having a wonderful story to tell or a message to convey! I mean which band, creates a song that is based on a poem by literary legend Samuel Coleridge or asked its fans to be themselves through fantastic lyrics like I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill? Rush did, baby!! B) 

Edited to add: Happy 35th Birthday, Moving Pictures! :birthday: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Glad I got to see them. I procrastinated for years, not sure why, because they are my top 3 for a live show. Incredible. The loudest too. I can understand Neil wanting to hang it up at his age. He gives it everything he's got through out the entire concert. 

I just have a hard time when i realize I won't be able to see one of my favorites again.

I hope they enjoy their retirement.

Rush is my second favorite band after Led Zeppelin.  I had seen Geddy Lee on that Metal Show last year, before the start of the 2015 tour, and he said that this might be the last ever full Rush tour because Neil wanted to spend more time with his new wife and child.  Once I heard that I realized that I had to see Rush again because this might signal the end to Rush as a live act. 

I attended the sixth concert of the 2015 tour in Dallas, Texas and I went all out and flew to Las Vegas, Nevada to attend the fourth to the last gig.  I figured, since I have the time and money to see my second favorite band, why not go out in style and go to Las Vegas, a city that I always wanted to visit but never really had a reason too.  (I am not a big gambler). 

I had a great time seeing Rush at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and another great time staying at the MGM Grand that I might go back to Las Vegas just to back to Las Vegas. 

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY RUSH!!!

This is the fourth to the last show that Rush last performed.  Absolutely amazing:

https://youtu.be/NMh3NfD56Pk

Another fabulous album that I am waiting to get my hands on (that I forgot to mention in my post from yesterday) is Snakes and Arrows! Man! I love this band so freakin' much that it's effing crazy! It's like an obsession, I tell you! :lol: I surrender! I give up! Rush is my favourite band of all time, beating Queen and Led Zeppelin by a small margin! B) 

Hope Geddy, Alex and Neil enjoy retired life! They deserve it after decades of hard work in the form of wonderful music and putting a smile on the faces of millions of fans across the globe! 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^ So glad you've "found" Rush, kiwi!  I had always liked them around Moving Pictures, Signals era - as a pre-teen.  Then I fell out a bit with the synth era mid 80's Rush.  Mrs Walter and I saw them on the Presto tour, when we first started dating, for our first concert together and also each of our first time seeing Rush live.  We both fell in love with them.  They tour very consistently the next two tours and we saw them two days after we were married and then again two years later on our anniversary.  Those were the Roll The Bones and Counterparts tours - Counterparts might be my favorite album of theirs.  Then we saw them again on the Test for Echos tour, which wasn't as good, IMO.  Kinda fell out when Neal went to find himself, then started our own family and never really thought about it, until....  My son's school had an online auction for their arts program.  They had two suite tickets donated for Rush on their Clockeork Angels tour.  We threw in a bid and there we were.  Amazing show, just like the early 90's!  They are timeless!  If you ever wanted to do a road trip you should, for them.  Xanadu is probably my favorite, live.  I wish they would play the entire 2112.  Geddy's bass in "Freewill" will pound through your chest - love it!  I don't know why they always seem to play "Force Ten" every time I see them, I really don't care for it - "Time Stand Still" from that disc is so much better.  Anyway, glad you're into them - love your enthusiasm!  ✌?️

^^^I feel Rush is practically Canada's greatest gift to the world, Walter! You're right! Their music is so timeless and so many of their albums are such a delight to listen to! For me, one of the most difficult tasks in the world, would be to name my favourite Rush album! I mean, I love almost all of their albums for a different reason (except for some from the synth-driven era, but I probably might start appreciating those, as the years go by). Hell, even if the task is made easier by asking me to name my favourite album from each era of the band, I sure will have plenty of indecisive moments! :lol: 

I think it is very sweet and romantic that you and Mrs. Walter fell in love with Rush, together! Gosh! Going to a Rush concert, is probably one of the best ways to spend a wedding anniversary! I am so glad that you guys got to see them all those times! I bet Walter Jr. is a fan, too! :D 

I haven't even scratched the surface yet, as far as their live stuff goes! I do hunt around (A LOT!) for clips on good old YT, but I guess it's high time that I started paying attention to all the live albums that they have released over the years! To me, their concerts seem like theatrical productions (from what I've seen on YT) and that's another aspect that I find so fascinating about them! :D I also find myself giggling at some of their intro vids at concerts, for songs like Tom Sawyer, for instance! 

I have so much of Rush to look forward to and discover! It's crazy but so exciting!! 

On 2/11/2016 at 10:30 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

My participation in this thread has been incredibly quiet and that's because words fail me when I try and describe how much I love Rush! Nevertheless, after months of lurking, I'm going to try and give it a go! 

I discovered Rock's greatest trio, back in June, 2015, thanks to a nifty little website called Youtube. It was (what began as) an ordinary and lazy Sunday morning. I have this immense thirst to discover 'new' music during my spare time and Youtube, thankfully, obliges my request through its incredible Recommended For You mechanism. I am a huge fan of Queen (got into their music, when I was just 3 years old, thanks to my dad) and I do love bands like Yes (again, thanks to my dad).

I was listening to a couple of songs from Queen II and The Yes Album on constant rotation, when a few videos with song titles like 2112, Bastille Day, The Fountain of Lamneth, Anthem, Fly By Night, Xanadu and The Trees caught my attention. Out of curiosity, I picked the song 2112 to listen to first, as the album cover really fascinated me, no end! And then it hit me! The Sci-fi sounds, the aggressive and awe-inspiring guitar riffs, the out of this world lyrics and the goosebumps inducing vocal range of the front man (the last time someone's vocal abilities inspired that sort of a reaction from me, was when I listened to Black Dog, for the first time)! I was floored! I thought to myself 'who are these guys?!'. I wanted more and more and more. I spent the entire morning, greedily looking for songs by Rush and time and time again, I experienced a plethora of emotions like joy, awe, euphoria, admiration and absolute contentment. It was like an obsession that fine Sunday morning and probably the best Sunday that I ever had! :D 

I then felt the incredible need to see what the band looked like and I of course, came across the video for the song Anthem! Again, this was another song that left me gobsmacked! I then, got to watch the brilliant documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage (I now own a DVD copy) and I was thrilled that I got to know the band even better and they struck me as incredibly humble guys, with a great sense of humour and immense passion for music! One aspect that struck me was the so-called Down The Tubes Tour and how much the album Caress of Steel, got them into trouble. I was incredibly shocked to hear all the criticism against that album! To me, it sounded like one of the greatest progressive rock albums that I ever had the pleasure of listening to (apart from gems like Moving Pictures, of course)! I even loved kick-ass songs like I Think I'm Going Bald! It was like every song had a story to tell and a message to convey! I had to own that album!! Sadly, no record store near me, had it in stock, so I had to resort to Amazon and after 6 agonizing weeks (at one point, I even thought that the shipment had got lost in the mail!), I finally had the CD in my hand!

Within the next 6 months, I then proceeded to stock up on Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. It's been such a wonderful musical journey so far and it always excites me, to witness the evolution of the band's incredible sound, through the years! B) I am taking my time to explore this brilliant band's catalog, as IMHO, each Rush album is like fine wine and exploration of this catalog, must by no means, be rushed (no pun intended)! I am now, going to be stocking up on Signals, Test For Echo, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels within the next couple of months! 

With each passing month, as my love for Rush deepened,  I have come to realize what a massive void there was, in my music collection! I guess there has always been a feeling that something vital was missing and that something, was Rush! My only regret is not discovering them, sooner! I am one of those fans who teared up, when she watched the video for the song Subdivisions, for the first time. I was that kid in the video. A (proud) misfit. It was as if this song had been written for me, practically depicting all my experiences, in high school! 

I was practically laughing and crying at the same time, when I came across Alex's magnificent Blah Blah Blah speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, practically telling all the critics, to get stuffed! His speech will go down as one of the all-time greatest, as time passes by!

Never have I ever identified myself with a band, this much and I have never felt this excited about any band, before (no, not even about the mighty Led Zeppelin)! I am beginning to regard Rush as my band! I discovered and fell in love with this band, all on my own with no recommendations from anyone and that feels so good, as I used to depend heavily on my mom's and dad's music collection, to familiarize myself with music from the 60's and 70's! Hell, even my dad (who introduced me to bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Baker-Gurvitz Army, Cream and many more), is now a fan! We even listened to 2112, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres together, on my 28th birthday and it filled me with such joy to have been able to introduce my dad, to such a great band!

All in all, I became a fan, not because of any hype or bullshit, but just because of honest to goodness brilliant music straight from the heart, with each song having a wonderful story to tell or a message to convey! I mean which band, creates a song that is based on a poem by literary legend Samuel Coleridge or asked its fans to be themselves through fantastic lyrics like I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill? Rush did, baby!! B) 

Edited to add: Happy 35th Birthday, Moving Pictures! :birthday: 

That's such a nice story Kiwi! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I haven't even scratched the surface yet, as far as their live stuff goes! I do hunt around (A LOT!) for clips on good old YT

mrjonesy2112 has an awesome amount of live Rush stuff on his YT channel, enough to keep you busy for days, if you are already not familiar with his channel here's a link. :)

link

It's cool the watch their videos, kiwi, but to 'feel' them live is multi-sensory.  I assume it is similar to what Strider describes Zeppelin to have been.  The pounding of the instruments going through you is something else.  They make so much music for 3 guys on stage.  

21 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

That's such a nice story Kiwi! :thumbsup:

Thanks, mate!! :gimmefive: I just wrote what I felt, straight from the heart or should I say closer to the heart! :D 

21 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

mrjonesy2112 has an awesome amount of live Rush stuff on his YT channel, enough to keep you busy for days, if you are already not familiar with his channel here's a link. :)

link

Oh my gosh!!! :yay: You sir, have made my year! Thank you so much! I didn't even know about that goldmine till you told me! Wow! I have subscribed to that fantastic channel! :thanku::yourock::friends: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
Silly Punctuation Error

17 hours ago, Walter said:

It's cool the watch their videos, kiwi, but to 'feel' them live is multi-sensory.  I assume it is similar to what Strider describes Zeppelin to have been.  The pounding of the instruments going through you is something else.  They make so much music for 3 guys on stage.  

I completely agree, Walter! Experiencing a band like Rush or Led Zeppelin in concert, is like an experience in itself. No amount of YT vids or DVDs can ever replace the priceless experience of actually being there!

I have come to terms with the fact that I sadly, might not get to see Rush live, ever. But you know what? I am just so damn thankful that I discovered this great band, in the first place, adding so much of colour and happiness to my little world! It is so strange to know that these guys (as Geddy mentioned in an interview) are so well known in certain pockets of the world, but can hardly be recognized in other pockets. :blink: Hell, their music almost slipped through my fingers (not even the name Rush rang a bell, in my head, sometime ago :o) and I do sometimes shudder to think what might have happened, if I had never discovered them. 

Before, I used to really be intrigued by the sort of love and rabid admiration shown by folks like Strider, towards the music of Led Zeppelin and how much the band actually meant to folks like him, but now, I finally understand where he's coming from, because I feel the exact same way about Rush! :D 

One day, Walter (hopefully in the near future), I think I'm actually going to sit down and write a small letter of gratitude to the guys and send it as fan mail to Canada. I know that the chances of them reading it, will be pretty slim, but I think I'll take my chances! 

I love Rush for not only their wonderful music, but also for their fantastic sense of humour! Being a goofball, I love a band which doesn't take themselves too seriously!

Here are quite a few clips that depict exactly that and consider my post as my way of sprinkling some humour on this thread :peace: 

• 1 month later...