Rush

lzzoso

I've been thinking about this for awhile now & this is the best place to share these thoughts--Moving Pictures, while a great album, to me, has been one of the more overrated of Rush records. I'm not saying it's bad in anyway--but, as far as Rush albums from the 80s--to me, Signals, Grace Under PressurePresto, and Power Windows are all better.

I know that there are many Rush fans who would want me tarred and feathered for even suggesting "Pictures" is overrated, but that's just how I feel....

Geddy Lee is an amazing bassist, but only an average vocalist.  Neil Peart was an absolute beast (top 3 drummer of all time material).  Lifeson is a great guitarist too.  I love the rebellious experimental sci-fi type of sound they have.  If Rush could've had a 4th member who could really sing, they'd probably be on par with The Who and such.

On 3/29/2016 at 4:57 AM, paul carruthers said:

I've been thinking about this for awhile now & this is the best place to share these thoughts--Moving Pictures, while a great album, to me, has been one of the more overrated of Rush records. I'm not saying it's bad in anyway--but, as far as Rush albums from the 80s--to me, Signals, Grace Under PressurePresto, and Power Windows are all better.

I know that there are many Rush fans who would want me tarred and feathered for even suggesting "Pictures" is overrated, but that's just how I feel....

Hi Paul! :wave:

As you know, I discovered the magic of Rush, slightly less than a year ago. 

I am now past the 70's prog hard rock stage of their catalog and I am sinking my teeth into the albums from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

I must say that I do share your opinion and I am certainly not one of those Rush fans, who wants you tarred and feathered, just because you think that Moving Pictures is overrated! :lol: 

While Moving Pictures is fantastic, there have been quite a few instances, where I have felt like listening to songs (from less revered albums) like Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Subdivisions, Chemistry, Analog Kid, Roll The Bones, Where's My Thing?, Peaceful Kingdom, Test For Echo, Driven, Show Don't Tell, Animate, Afterimage, Totem, Big Money, Between The Wheels, The Enemy Within , One Little Victory, Earth Shine, etc. so much more in comparison to the so-called fan favourites like Tom Sawyer, Limelight and YYZ.

In my opinion, each era and each album, has something special to offer fans like us, which in turn, has led me to firmly believe, that there is so much more to Rush than just Moving Pictures. To say that Rush hasn't produced a decent album since Moving Pictures, is pretty absurd in my opinion.

Oh and at the risk of getting tarred and feathered myself, I am one of those Rush fans who actually prefers albums such as Fly By Night, Caress of Steel and A Farewell To Kings in comparison to highly revered albums such as Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. But hey, that's just me! :P 

I think the need of the hour, is for folks to look past Moving Pictures and check out albums such as Grace Under Pressure, Signals, Power Windows, Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, Counterparts and Vapor Trails. B) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
An error occurred while posting because of my bloody awful internet connection!

^^ Yeah, I've never understood the sentiment of those who feel Rush is all about 2112 and Moving Pictures, but--as always--to each their own,

On the subject of Rush's 90s output, I've really found a new appreciation for Counterparts over the last year. For some reason, when I first got that CD several years ago, it didn't do much for me--I didn't hate it, but I thought of it as being Rush's weakest record.

Now, of course, I have seen the error of my ways & have come to recognize the brilliance of what I would call the "lesser known" tracks from it like Double AgentCut to the ChaseAlien ShoreCold Fire. Basically, the whole album is great...

Edited by paul carruthers

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Yeah, I've never understood the sentiment of those who feel Rush is all about 2112 and Moving Pictures, but--as always--to each their own,

On the subject of Rush's 90s output, I've really found a new appreciation for Counterparts over the last year. For some reason, when I first got that CD several years ago, it didn't do much for me--I didn't hate it, but I thought of it as being Rush's weakest record.

Now, of course, I have seen the error of my ways & have come to recognize the brilliance of what I would call the "lesser known" tracks from it like Double AgentCut to the ChaseAlien ShoreCold Fire. Basically, the whole album is great...

:thumbsup: 

Maybe my incessant praise of that disc infiltrated your head. ;) It is my favorite disc of theirs and has been since it was released.  "Cold Fire" being my fav song.  "Nobody's Hero" is Mrs. Walter's.  That tour was insanely great.  Late 80's/early-mid 90's is my favorite period.   

Edited by Walter

On February 13, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

^^^I feel Rush is practically Canada's greatest gift to the world,

That is a bold statement! Have you never heard of Anne Murray???

Hemispheres for me was a serious misstep by the band, the songs are just ok at best, nothing really good IMO. It was like the boys got together and said, "lets try and write the most complex, inaccessible music in the prog-rock genre as possible. Even by their own admission they pretty much feel this way about the album. This is my least favorite Rush album and I am one of those who prefer the up to Signals as their best albums for the most part.

Really getting into Clockwork Angels right now, what a great album.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Yes, it is and I will stand by this statement, till the day I die! As for Anne Murray, well, my mom is a big fan. 

Ok, what about The Poppy Family or Martha and the Muffins??? You think Rush is as rocking as them???

25 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Ok, what about The Poppy Family or Martha and the Muffins??? You think Rush is as rocking as them???

First, maybe I am too young or way too naive for my own good, but honestly, I have never heard of any of these groups. I am not going to pretend that I have. 

Second, what is wrong if I regard Rush so highly as one of the greatest bands on earth? I mean, this is just my opinion and I think I am allowed to have it.

Third, I am not trying to split hairs, but I happen to love Hemispheres, even though I love albums like Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112 and A Farewell To Kings, just a tiny bit more. To regard an album such as Hemispheresas a serious misstep, is such a bold statement to make, if you ask me, but hey, that's your opinion and you have every right. You don't see me questioning you about your opinion, do you? So, please be fair and respect my opinions too, no matter how bold (or absurd) they might seem, to you. 

:peace: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On 3/30/2016 at 1:36 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ Hmmm, different strokes I guess. I feel the 80s was the best period for Rush, with the 90s being a close second...

That I would agree with you on, the early albums of the 70's had more fire & passion, but I guess if we all liked everything exactly the same, it would be boring.

9 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

First, maybe I am too young or way too naive for my own good, but honestly, I have never heard of any of these groups. I am not going to pretend that I have. 

Second, what is wrong if I regard Rush so highly as one of the greatest bands on earth? I mean, this is just my opinion and I think I am allowed to have it.

Third, I am not trying to split hairs, but I happen to love Hemispheres, even though I love albums like Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112 and A Farewell To Kings, just a tiny bit more. To regard an album such as Hemispheresas a serious misstep, is such a bold statement to make, if you ask me, but hey, that's your opinion and you have every right. You don't see me questioning you about your opinion, do you? So, please be fair and respect my opinions too, no matter how bold (or absurd) they might seem, to you. 

:peace: 

I was joking Kiwi, those bands I mentioned are without a doubt, some of the worst or lamest bands to come out of Canada with the exception of Nickleback. However I still stand by my assessment of Hemispheres. It is a good album without a doubt, it is from a technical level their best and most complex playing, but even the band themselves feel the album is not very accessible. I love me my Rush and have seen them more times than every other band, what can I say.

11 hours ago, IpMan said:

I was joking Kiwi, those bands I mentioned are without a doubt, some of the worst or lamest bands to come out of Canada with the exception of Nickleback. However I still stand by my assessment of Hemispheres. It is a good album without a doubt, it is from a technical level their best and most complex playing, but even the band themselves feel the album is not very accessible. I love me my Rush and have seen them more times than every other band, what can I say.

Well, lpMan, I guess from my posts, you can see how passionate I am about Rush! :lol::blush: I am one of those fans who loves those inaccessible. out of this world, prog type epics like Cygnus X-1, La Villa Strangiato, etc. I was pretty surprised to know that the band doesn't think very much of albums like Caress of Steel and Hemispheres. These albums are works of art, in my opinion, but with that being said, I also really love albums like Grace Under Pressure, Signals, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels! To me, each era of Rush and each album, has something special to offer! :D 

It's great that you got to see this incredible band in concert, many times! B) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

14 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Well, lpMan, I guess from my posts, you can see how passionate I am about Rush! :lol::blush: I am one of those fans who loves those inaccessible. out of this world, prog type epics like Cygnus X-1, La Villa Strangiato, etc. I was pretty surprised to know that the band doesn't think very much of albums like Caress of Steel and Hemispheres. These albums are works of art, in my opinion, but with that being said, I also really love albums like Grace Under Pressure, Signals, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels! To me, each era of Rush and each album, has something special to offer! :D 

It's great that you got to see this incredible band in concert, many times! B) 

Now don't think me a simple rube or a rat bastard because of what I said about Hemispheres, I really like the album but it is not my favorite by them. On the bonus side, Caress of Steel is one of my favorites, just a great album and The Necromancer is in my top 5 songs of all time.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Now don't think me a simple rube or a rat bastard because of what I said about Hemispheres, I really like the album but it is not my favorite by them. On the bonus side, Caress of Steel is one of my favorites, just a great album and The Necromancer is in my top 5 songs of all time.

Of course not! Why on earth would I? :huh: I'll be acting like a narrow-minded snobbish jerk, if I thought you were a rat bastard, just because we happen to have a difference in opinion! Like I said before, we are all entitled to our opinions. Besides, if we all liked the same stuff, in the same way, the world will be such a boring place! 

The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth are my go-to prog epics! B) In fact, Caress of Steel and Queen II are my two favourite albums of all time! :D 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87