Discussion on Moby Dick from January 9th, 1970

Ryan Porter

Okay, drummers. I know there's gotta be more than one drummer here, other than myself.

This drum solo has been the driving inspiration for my drumming since I first heard it back in 2004 (also the year I started drumming, at the age of 18), and I still am amazed by the smooth mechanics and drum rolls he had. I mean, good god! The drum sound and playing on this solo is MONSTROUS! I've seen performances of Moby Dick from other years, and I still think this is the best I've seen. What is the concensus?

Okay, drummers. I know there's gotta be more than one drummer here, other than myself.

This drum solo has been the driving inspiration for my drumming since I first heard it back in 2004 (also the year I started drumming, at the age of 18), and I still am amazed by the smooth mechanics and drum rolls he had. I mean, good god! The drum sound and playing on this solo is MONSTROUS! I've seen performances of Moby Dick from other years, and I still think this is the best I've seen. What is the concensus?

AMAZING version of Moby Dick right here. He does some fills that he doesn't do in latter versions. None the less, the song remains the same version is more neatly organized, and the 77 "Over the Top/Moby Dick" paticularly 6/21/77 which is the 'Listen to this Eddie' show is superior.

my favorite one to listen to is from 9/29/71. it's incredibly creative and intriguing

See, I wish I could get a hold of some of the bootlegs. I have no idea where you guys get all of them! O.O

I'd love to hear boots from the '71-'72 era Zeppelin. Especially their '72 tour.

See, I wish I could get a hold of some of the bootlegs. I have no idea where you guys get all of them! O.O

I'd love to hear boots from the '71-'72 era Zeppelin. Especially their '72 tour.

Oh its easy man. Google works the best. We cant post links or anything in here.

But yeah, you can buy some off of ebay or amazon im sure, download them, its a very easy accomplishment, PM me & ill help you.

Definitely a great version. Of course, what makes it that much more spectacular is we have the ability of watching it any time now.

While I prefer shorter, more complex solos, this one is absolutely great and Bonzo still had the speed to dazzle.

I use this (official DVD) to show people how good he was. I usually skip moby dick tho. But a 75 soundboard (2-16,3-05 etc) with the stereo affects he uses is trippy.

Anyone know the name of the affect he uses during parts (including Kashmir) that make the drums, especially symbols sound "spacey" for lack of a better word.

I use this (official DVD) to show people how good he was. I usually skip moby dick tho. But a 75 soundboard (2-16,3-05 etc) with the stereo affects he uses is trippy.

Anyone know the name of the affect he uses during parts (including Kashmir) that make the drums, especially symbols sound "spacey" for lack of a better word.

I believe it was a phaser?

DMachine, if your talking about the 1/9/70 our friend here has started the thread with, that is on the official dvd released in 2003.....

OK, thanks!

I believe it was a phaser?

I used a phaser on a drum solo once, people were amazed, even the guys in the band. I guess it's old-fashoned now, but it does render crashes very nicely ....

This version from the official dvd is fantastic!! But there are many other great versions!! Like someone said, the latter version are better arranged, but the earlier have more power and precision!!

The one from Albert Hall on the dvd, is especially amazing in the very final part, right before the return of Jimmy and Jonesy!! Bonzo always played that part, but here he is especially precise and powerfull and he is also filmed form very close, which makes it look unbeliveable!!

It's hard to understand how he can play that incredible,he makes soooo much sound, it's almost as if he is also playing Moby Dick with his dick!!ohmy.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

the 77 "Over the Top/Moby Dick" paticularly 6/21/77 which is the 'Listen to this Eddie' show is superior.

6/21/77 is good (Plant's intro is a classic)...IMO 6/23/77 is even better (especially with Keith Moon joining in) but 5/22/77 Fort Worth is my favourite of the "Over The Top" solos. Now there's a drum solo where Bonzo whips out some playing that is completely different, especially after the synth-tympani section where he starts going nuts all over the kit and the tymps. It's 28 minutes long but seems to fly by, unlike those 36 minute Landover marathons a few days later that seem more like 36 hours...

But we're talking about John Bonham here. Far as I'm concerned all his solos are at least good on the night, all the way from '68 to '77. I could listen to nothing but Bonzo's drumming for hours.

Great topic. For me, the Albert Hall 1970 Moby Dick Version was always the greatest. Bonzo does some killer-drumming here. And his speed never got better.

The later versions are a little lame. I like the ones from 1969-1971 more than the later though his drumming was still great. I have to admit that the one from May 25th 1975 became one of my favourite. He plays so great, much better than one day before. Here ist the Video Part 1, if you haven't checked it out yet, it's worth watching ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqerMe8u4b8&feature=channel

Archived