Top 5 Best Jimmy Page (Zep) Solos

Mike Ciresi

1. Stairway to Heaven

2. Since I've Been Loving You

3. Ten Years Gone

4. Good Times Bad Times

5. The Song Remains the Same

Seeing how this is your 3rd post, I cut you some slack.....

But really any discussion of Jimmy's Best solo's would need to cover their actual performances, ie, whether live, studio, or bootleg ( I assume you know what a bootleg audio recording is....).

My Top Five Jimmy Page Zep Solos would include two of the one's you have listed, with the caveat that those are live performances, and NOT the studio ones. I think there is a BIG difference in what we hear on TSRTS (Your #%) and SIBLY (Your #2) on the soundtrack album, and what we hear on the studio releases.

But if, you think there's no big difference, then I don't relate.

Seeing how this is your 3rd post, I cut you some slack.....

But really any discussion of Jimmy's Best solo's would need to cover their actual performances, ie, whether live, studio, or bootleg ( I assume you know what a bootleg audio recording is....).

Easy, Rover! I for one thought it was pretty obvious that Mike was talking about studio solos.

Otherwise, are you seriously suggesting that, in order to be sufficently worthy to opine on JP's best solos, we all need first to have (a) listened to and ( B) compared & ranked (presumably by endless repeated listening?) EVERY SINGLE LZ BOOT? Including the ones that aren't in circulation??

And what about the unrecorded shows - what if JP's best-ever solo was played to an audience of 30 in a hitherto unlisted gig in Bumfuck, Arkansas in 1968? And what if all 30 of those people are now dead???

Let's just stick to the studio solos, shall we?

Otherwise, are you seriously suggesting that, in order to be sufficently worthy to opine on JP's best solos, we all need first to have (a) listened to and ( B) compared & ranked (presumably by endless repeated listening?) EVERY SINGLE LZ BOOT? Including the ones that aren't in circulation??

Let's just stick to the studio solos, shall we?

Nope, but, unless specifically stated, "Best Studio Solo", then I would assume that the officially released live albums would also be considered. Please note the full titile of the OP thread..."All Time Best Solo".... Now you figure out what to assume ? ? ?

Why would you want to speak about the best JP solo, and not include live recordings. After all, Led Zeppelin's live legacy, is just as much important and relevant, execept to beginners, I'd assume.

I'm just trying to open eyes to more than the "studio" releases, as, just the official live releases have some incredible solos on them, and they should not be given second class status, imo.

Well,

I guess that I should have been more specific. I was talking about the studio releases, I should have notated that TSRTS was the live version. Having seen LZ in 1977, that was the opener and is was fantastic. It definitely an event to remember.

post-15031-127611985093_thumb.jpg

Well,

I guess that I should have been more specific. I was talking about the studio releases, I should have notated that TSRTS was the live version. Having seen LZ in 1977, that was the opener and is was fantastic. It definitely an event to remember.

Your Ticket picture got blurred. Where did you Zeppelin in '77 ?

Yes, TSRTS live version is awesome. Whenever I play it or hear it, I think of the opening to the '77 shows, even though it was recorded in 1973. It still amazes me to this day ! !

Your Ticket picture got blurred. Where did you Zeppelin in '77 ?

Yes, TSRTS live version is awesome. Whenever I play it or hear it, I think of the opening to the '77 shows, even though it was recorded in 1973. It still amazes me to this day ! !

The St. Paul Civic Center, they played the second show at the Metropolitan Sports Center as well. I was all of thirteen years old. I had tickets to the 1980 show but that was not meant to be. That was such a bad time, being a musician made it even worse, everyone knew that was the end of Zep, it was horrible news.

Archived