"I want to break free"

Free from this fcuking forum and all this arguing. :o

"Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, whose sounds caress my ear

Not a word I heard could I relate, the story was quite clear"

Now you're talking my kinda language. :)

Regards, Danny

"I want to break free"

Free from this fcuking forum and all this arguing. :o

"Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, whose sounds caress my ear

Not a word I heard could I relate, the story was quite clear"

Now you're talking my kinda language. :)

Regards, Danny

B)

With all due respect, Queen ain't even the same league as Zeppelin. Thank you very much.

But why compare? Two completely different types of bands and it's not really which one is better because, again, that's going to be subjective.

And that's where we're going wrong here. If that's all you know, I'm afraid you don't know Queen - they were SO much more than that and SO much more than what you have been summing them up as.

With respect - it's like someone trying to lecture me on Led Zeppelin on the basis that they've heard Whole Lotta Love and Stairway To Heaven.

No, because that's just 2 songs and both of those songs are very different to each other anyway. You can't make a judgement on Zep based on just 2 songs.

I know a great deal of Queen's music. I just haven't heard every single song. People can make a valid comment on Led Zep if they know a great deal of their catalogue but without knowing every single song including Hot Dog or Hots On For Nowhere. I have a fair handle on Queen and their music. I don't only know 2 songs. I know LOTS of their songs. I live in England. I haven't been able to escape them being shoved down my throat these last 30 years.

Anyway you missed my point. It's not just me saying the above. Plenty of others on the show thought the same, including the narrator of the series Mark Radcliffe. What he said was spot on.

But why compare? Two completely different types of bands and it's not really which one is better because, again, that's going to be subjective.

Because they were in a competition for a BBC poll vote on the greatest rock and roll band. That's the subject of this thread. Al Murray apologised for upsetting Queen fans. There was a 5 part BBC series which culminated in a vote for the best rock and roll band and the best musician in each category.

Led Zeppelin, the Beatles and Queen ended up in the last 3 via an online vote and the final decision went to a live telephone vote which Led Zeppelin won.

The final show was all about comparing this band against that band and this musician against that musician. I see nothing wrong with that. It was a fun and interesting 2 hour show, especially when Zep won and also when Zep had Page, Plant and Bonham in the top 3 of their respective categories (no other band managed that)and I believe Jonesy was in the top 10 bass players, although only the winner was named in the bass player section. Even better, Led Zeppelin had the best placings overall despite hardly featuring in the entire series except for a nice segment on Bonzo.

With all due respect, Queen ain't even the same league as Zeppelin. Thank you very much.

LOL, careful mate. You might get a stiff talking to from some of the old hands here after saying that. :D

I've only been back here for one or two days after a long absence and already I'm being lectured for calling Zep the greatest band......on a LED ZEPPELIN BOARD. Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

According to some folks, you aren't supposed to call Led Zep the greatest.....even on their own board. It's not cricket, Charlie (nevermind Planty himself claimed that Zep were so much better than whoever is number 2 :D )

But just to back you up, yes Led Zeppelin do indeed piss all over Queen. :P

What is your point in saying WWL scares people and Queen doesn't?

If you actually have to ask me what I mean by that then seriously there is no point in taking this discussion any further. :o

LOL, careful mate. You might get a stiff talking to from some of the old hands here after saying that. :D

What - you mean people might disagree with him??? Well fancy that!

I've only been back here for one or two days after a long absence and already I'm being lectured for calling Zep the greatest band......on a LED ZEPPELIN BOARD. Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

I love it when people do this - "I'm being lectured " - poor me poor me! No, you're not - people are actually engaging you in DISCUSSION (shocking on a forum, I know). And I haven't seen ANYONE complain about you calling Zeppelin the greatest band - what I have seen, and taken part in, is objection to your sweeping dismissal of Queen based on a lack of full knowledge of the band. Sorry, is that not allowed? Are your opinions somehow sacrosanct and therefore to be left on here without being challenged? And when someone disagrees with you, it becomes a lecture?

According to some folks, you aren't supposed to call Led Zep the greatest.....even on their own board. It's not cricket, Charlie (nevermind Planty himself claimed that Zep were so much better than whoever is number 2 :D )

Please just tell me where ANYONE said that. Who exactly are those "folks" ???

But just to back you up, yes Led Zeppelin do indeed piss all over Queen. :P

In your opinion. I actually prefer Led Zeppelin too, by a country mile, but IN MY OPINION and that of many others, Queen were a brilliant, innovative band and those who only know their singles are really missing out.

Was Brian really upset though? He's a big Zep fan, if anything he'd have agreed with Zeppelin being the greatest band ever (one would think).

Brian May and Queen were HUGE Zeppelin fans. They used to play Immigrant Song in the recordong studio as 'warm up' session. B) Roger Taylor has said many times how in awe he was/is of Zeppelin's music, and, of course, Bonham's drumming techniques.

I'm a huge Queen fan but they are not as popular as Zeppelin. Not even close.

I agree. I also love Queen, have all their albums and they were one of the greatest bands, and Freddie Mercury was just incredible live. But they aren't in the same league as Zeppelin, and they know that. I'm sure the Brain May etc would have been happy that Zeppelin at last got some recognition which is long over due.

Brian May and Queen were HUGE Zeppelin fans. They used to play Immigrant Song in the recordong studio as 'warm up' session. B) Roger Taylor has said many times how in awe he was/is of Zeppelin's music, and, of course, Bonham's drumming techniques.

I saw Roger playing drums for Robert Plant in 1984, I thought he did really well, Robert was less impressed. It was the first time I met Roger and he was a great bloke and almost reverential towards Robert, and couldn't speak highly enough about Zeppelin. He and May were of course also at the O2 gig.

**Sun 13 Jun 10**

AL MURRAY - A VERY DECENT BLOKE

[Referring to Daily Express: "

Al Murray Eats Humble Pie Over Brian May Gaffe"]

Well, isn't it amazing how the newspapers can twist things...

There was nothing 'grovelling' about Al's message to us. He simply didn't feel happy that his remarks had upset some Queen fans, and wanted to put the record straight. I have to comment ... because I hate the way things can be unfairly slanted in the media. And this is unfair. As well as being a brilliant comic, Al Murray is a highly principled, highly intelligent man - and works ceaselessly for projects for poor children. He's also a real friend, and real friends are hard to find. When I asked him to help us in the Save-ME campaign to save our wildlife, in the run-up to the election, he jumped in without hesitation. And in our appearances on his show - in and out of his amazing Pub Landlord character - he's always been totally respectful, and inspiring in the way he's interacted artistically.

Respect, please, to the Pub Landlord.

Cheers

Bri

(See Copyright Note)

© brianmay.com

Oasis comes to mind, among many others.

Thank you. Oasis are a great example. Massive media darlings in England and as a result extremely popular here. Huge in fact.

Relative media nobodies in America and as a result nowhere near as successful in that country.

I'm staggered that anyone would try and deny that vast media exposure doesn't have an affect on a band's popularity.

I already said it earlier, if Zep were played more and shown more on t.v they would be even more popular than they already are. Is anyone seriously going to argue that?

What - you mean people might disagree with him??? Well fancy that!

No, just people trying to tell him he's wrong. It's happened lots of times before so I warned him to watch out. I've been around here for years (since '03). I know the deal.

I love it when people do this - "I'm being lectured " - poor me poor me! No, you're not - people are actually engaging you in DISCUSSION (shocking on a forum, I know).

No they aren't engaing in a discussion. They (including you) aren't even reading posts properly.

What's the point in asking "why compare the two bands" when the thread itself is refering to an ONLINE AND LIVE PHONE-IN POLL COMPARING THE MERITS OF CERTAIN BANDS AND PICKING A WINNER. :slapface:

Why (simply because I said I haven't heard ALL of Queen's songs)try and make a bizaare analogy to knowing only 2 Zep songs??? I should think I know about 40 Queen songs at least. Probably more.

And I haven't seen ANYONE complain about you calling Zeppelin the greatest band -

It's happened to me a fair few times over the years. In fact so much that I've had to take various breaks away from this forum due to this because it gets so annoying and sometimes I wonder what I'm doing here.

This is a Led Zeppelin board, right? It says LedZeppelin.com does it not? It's not a general music board. You would think this would be the one place where I and others can kick back, relax, say what's on my mind and wax lyrical about Zep being better than anyone else without being challeged over it.

Yet at various times I've had Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and Beatles fans taking objection to my assertion that Zep were the best. I don't need to be challegend on my feelings here on a Led Zeppelin board.

I come back for one day, participate in a thread, call Zep the greatest and say how much better they were than Queen, that Zep are the epitome of a rock and roll band, that the poll result was correct as were some of the points some programme participants made about Queen...............and I'm being 'advised' (ok, I'll drop the 'lecture' allegation) I shouldn't really be saying such things?

what I have seen, and taken part in, is objection to your sweeping dismissal of Queen based on a lack of full knowledge of the band.

I know enough about Queen thank you. You don't need absolute full and complete knowledge of every single song to form an opinion of what kind of band they were. As I said, you can form an opinion of Led Zep without knowing Poor Tom or Royal Orleans.

And you conveniently ignored the fact that some people on the show we are refering to made the same point about Queen. Both Al Murray and Mark Radcliffe basically said the same thing as I did. In fact there is a substantial feeling among many music fans that Queen are not really a serious rock and roll band up there with the very best. This isn't an isolated opinion. Its shared by many, including some people on the BBC show refered to in this thread. On doing a Google I actually came across a Queen board where even their fans complain that lots of non Queen fans take the piss out of Queen and don't take them seriously. This is a pretty widespread feeling.

Sorry, is that not allowed? Are your opinions somehow sacrosanct and therefore to be left on here without being challenged?

Yep. If I think Led Zeppelin were the greatest rock band of all time and that they piss all over Queen and that Queen weren't really the great 'rock and roll' band that Zep were I should be allowed to state that on a Led Zeppelin without being challenged for it.

In your opinion. I actually prefer Led Zeppelin too, by a country mile, but IN MY OPINION and that of many others, Queen were a brilliant, innovative band and those who only know their singles are really missing out.

Who said I only know their singles? I had a friend who was into Queen and used to play a lot of their albums. I know a LARGE CHUNK of Queen's output and way enough of their material to form an opinion of what kind of band they were. Even if I didn't, in England you just can't get away from a large chunk of Queen's music. It's there in your face. The stuff that is shoved down our throats is just as much Queen as the more obsure stuff than not everyone knows.

I can't believe this one's still running.

Queen started out as a rock band and ended up as a pop band. End of. Even in their rock band guise, they would barely scrape into most proper rock fans' Top 20.

By 'proper', I mean people other than Bon Jovi fans, or those who bought Appetite For Destruction on the stength of Sweet Child and hated all the other tracks. It is these people Al Murray is satirising in his Pub Landlord show, and there is no better band than post-1976 Queen with which to do it.

I'm being 'advised' (ok, I'll drop the 'lecture' allegation) I shouldn't really be saying such things?

No, you're not being "advised" OR "lectured," and nobody has suggested you shouldn't state your views--people are just disagreeing with you on certain points. And why not? That's how discussion works, like it or not.

No, just people trying to tell him he's wrong. It's happened lots of times before so I warned him to watch out. I've been around here for years (since '03). I know the deal.

No they aren't engaing in a discussion. They (including you) aren't even reading posts properly.

What's the point in asking "why compare the two bands" when the thread itself is refering to an ONLINE AND LIVE PHONE-IN POLL COMPARING THE MERITS OF CERTAIN BANDS AND PICKING A WINNER. :slapface:

Why (simply because I said I haven't heard ALL of Queen's songs)try and make a bizaare analogy to knowing only 2 Zep songs??? I should think I know about 40 Queen songs at least. Probably more.

It's happened to me a fair few times over the years. In fact so much that I've had to take various breaks away from this forum due to this because it gets so annoying and sometimes I wonder what I'm doing here.

This is a Led Zeppelin board, right? It says LedZeppelin.com does it not? It's not a general music board. You would think this would be the one place where I and others can kick back, relax, say what's on my mind and wax lyrical about Zep being better than anyone else without being challeged over it.

Yet at various times I've had Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and Beatles fans taking objection to my assertion that Zep were the best. I don't need to be challegend on my feelings here on a Led Zeppelin board.

I come back for one day, participate in a thread, call Zep the greatest and say how much better they were than Queen, that Zep are the epitome of a rock and roll band, that the poll result was correct as were some of the points some programme participants made about Queen...............and I'm being 'advised' (ok, I'll drop the 'lecture' allegation) I shouldn't really be saying such things?

I know enough about Queen thank you. You don't need absolute full and complete knowledge of every single song to form an opinion of what kind of band they were. As I said, you can form an opinion of Led Zep without knowing Poor Tom or Royal Orleans.

And you conveniently ignored the fact that some people on the show we are refering to made the same point about Queen. Both Al Murray and Mark Radcliffe basically said the same thing as I did. In fact there is a substantial feeling among many music fans that Queen are not really a serious rock and roll band up there with the very best. This isn't an isolated opinion. Its shared by many, including some people on the BBC show refered to in this thread. On doing a Google I actually came across a Queen board where even their fans complain that lots of non Queen fans take the piss out of Queen and don't take them seriously. This is a pretty widespread feeling.

Yep. If I think Led Zeppelin were the greatest rock band of all time and that they piss all over Queen and that Queen weren't really the great 'rock and roll' band that Zep were I should be allowed to state that on a Led Zeppelin without being challenged for it.

Who said I only know their singles? I had a friend who was into Queen and used to play a lot of their albums. I know a LARGE CHUNK of Queen's output and way enough of their material to form an opinion of what kind of band they were. Even if I didn't, in England you just can't get away from a large chunk of Queen's music. It's there in your face. The stuff that is shoved down our throats is just as much Queen as the more obsure stuff than not everyone knows.

Led Zeppelin Fanatics 5 (Mangani 5)

Rest of the Worlds Trolls 0

I am so with you on this one Mangani i feel we are Brothers, keep the Faith my friend and you will always be welcome on here, although you might not know it at the moment, you only have to look at some of the Avatars, Signatures and Forum Names to know who is a Fan(atic) on here or who's here just to Troll, keep em peeled. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

When Queen got inducted into the hall of fame for being the best band of the 70's the first words Roger Taylor said down the mike to the audience was "what about Led Zeppelin?" Also when i went to meet Jimmy Page, Brian May was there too at the first Riffathon, when Brian got up on stage he said that he was "The world's biggest Led Zeppelin fan" Any clearere to the arguement folks?

No, you're not being "advised" OR "lectured," and nobody has suggested you shouldn't state your views--people are just disagreeing with you on certain points. And why not? That's how discussion works, like it or not.

Discussion starts with reading people's posts properly. I've been misquoted TWICE by one poster while another one decided to make an analogy that had nothing to do with anything I wrote. That's not really discussion. That's just trying to score some points because they don't like what I wrote and didn't like me having the opinion that I had. ;)

When Queen got inducted into the hall of fame for being the best band of the 70's the first words Roger Taylor said down the mike to the audience was "what about Led Zeppelin?"

Uh, I would like a link for that, if possible. I alwas thought that the phrase was "what about The Who", who weren't even nominated that year.

I am so with you on this one Mangani i feel we are Brothers, keep the Faith my friend and you will always be welcome on here, although you might not know it at the moment, you only have to look at some of the Avatars, Signatures and Forum Names to know who is a Fan(atic) on here or who's here just to Troll, keep em peeled. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi ya Big Dan,

Thanks for being in my corner. I've had problems before here over the years with people who seem amazed that on a Led Zeppelin board you will naturally get some posters convinced that Zep were the greatest ever and that nobody is up there with them. Some (not saying anyone in this thread) have seemed determined to not let this happen.

If I want to dismiss Queen from being a true serious rock band then I will. I know Queen well enough. This isn't DefendersOfQueen.com last time I looked.

I never called Queen crap/rubbish/stupid etc etc. I said they were an inoffensive radio friendly band that played pop rock who have always had (at least in England) a major ally in the media that keeps them being constantly shoved down our throats.

Keep 'em peeled? Ha, reminds me of Sunday afternoon watching Shaw Taylor. :D

:wave: I'm in your corner too.

On the other hand, what boredom would it be on this board if the discussions would go like:

"-They are the greatest.

-Yes, indeed, perfection

-Yup"

I think that this is the beauty of Led Zeppelin: they are not perfect, so the fans can argue endlessly.

Discussion starts with reading people's posts properly. I've been misquoted TWICE by one poster while another one decided to make an analogy that had nothing to do with anything I wrote. That's not really discussion. That's just trying to score some points because they don't like what I wrote and didn't like me having the opinion that I had. ;)

Which doesn't alter the fact that they're free not to like what you wrote and to argue against it--you don't like THEIR opinions, it works both ways.

Not that I care either way about this topic, admittedly.

Archived