Al Murray apologises to Brian May

zeppphead

Which doesn't alter the fact that they're free not to like what you wrote and to argue against it--

But I didn't write what they 'claimed' I wrote. That's my point. Hence it wasn't a discussion.

I never said I've only heard 2 Queen songs. I never said Queen 'only' made it due to the media. I never dismissed them as a band (how can I when I love bands like Madness?). Etc etc.

If people are going to argue against something it's best they get it right what they are arguing against. :)

I can't believe this one's still running.

Queen started out as a rock band and ended up as a pop band. End of. Even in their rock band guise, they would barely scrape into most proper rock fans' Top 20.

By 'proper', I mean people other than Bon Jovi fans, or those who bought Appetite For Destruction on the stength of Sweet Child and hated all the other tracks. It is these people Al Murray is satirising in his Pub Landlord show, and there is no better band than post-1976 Queen with which to do it.

I can't stand either Bon Jovi or Guns n Roses, am a "proper rock fan" and Queen would make my Top 10.

People have different opinions from you - "end of" (I hate that phrase too. "I hereby end this argument because no-one else has a valid opinion that can follow this." Bollocks. )

I am a "proper rock fan" and Queen would make my Top 10.

Ok, that's fine. I'm interested in how you might define rock though, Knebby.

Here's my take on the situation:

• Queen made 4 albums before 1976, the bulk of which would indisputably qualify as ROCK.
  • From 1976 onwards, by my reckoning, Queen made 10 albums if you include Made in Heaven, featuring 108 tracks
  • I think it's fair to say that in order to qualify as a rock band, at least 50% of the band's songs should fall within the generally accepted parameters of rock, which are not confined to but would certainly include LOUD, overdriven guitars

In view of the above, could you kindly list 54 songs from A Day At The Races onwards which you would classify as rock?

I'm a Queen fan, probably near my top ten. I don't think of them as a pop group, I actually think a lot of their songs sound like Broadway show tunes. Which I like. :rolleyes: It may be that Freddie was so over the top, but I can envision a broadway show built around Queen songs. I have a vague recollection of some such show, but I don't think it toured the US and I don't think it was done very well.

I'm not sure what this discussion is really about. If it is trying to classify someone as Pop vs Rock, I think that is subjective. There's so many shades of grey. Look at the list of inductees in the R&R hall of fame. An awful lot would not be considered rock music, there's pop, soul, r&B, country, folk, punk, etc. There are a lot of people that think that these types of musicians do not belong in the RRHOF but they all either led to the evolution of Rock music, or evolved from it. I mean CSN is not exactly a rock band, but what else would you classify them as- a folk group with rock leanings, a rock group with an emphasis on folk music and harmonies?

Zep had some songs that could loosely be considered Pop. I know this scientifically because these songs are the ones that my friends like - Misty Mountain Hop, The Ocean, D'yer Maker - as my one friend said, she likes the upbeat songs that she can sing along with. Kind of summarizes to me what Pop music is.

Anyhow, back to the original post. I'm not sure who Al Murray is, but Zep is #1 in my book!

I can envision a broadway show built around Queen songs. I have a vague recollection of some such show, but I don't think it toured the US and I don't think it was done very well.

We Will Rock You, it was/is called--critics hated it, fans loved it.

I should add that Brian May and Roger Taylor were involved in its writing, along with Ben Elton.

Its still running at the Dominion Theatre in London - in its 9th year - I'd call that pretty popular. May and Taylor made one of their regular appearances in it just last month.

Mangani - my analogy was in reference to this phrase "I know what made them popular and I know what is shoved down people's throats" - I compared that to what many would see re Zeppelin, a relevant analogy. I didn't say you had only heard two of Queen's songs. It's a shame that you feel that many times in the past you have been criticised for calling Zeppelin the best band in the world - I don't recall that, but then I haven't read all of your posts - but that certainly hasn't happened since you returned to the forum this time, and I don't really see how it is relevant to this discussion. It makes it seem as if those who disagree with you re your attitude to Queen are disagreeing with your love of Zeppelin - and clearly they aren't. I read your posts quite carefuly and have replied as an individual so I don't need to be lumped in here as some kind of "attack" on you - I just don't agree with you, and I don't think you react to that very well.

*edited for spelling

Uh, I would like a link for that, if possible. I alwas thought that the phrase was "what about The Who", who weren't even nominated that year.

cant find the quote but it was the UK induction in 1995

Archived