Tempe

Trinity

Still, for some film footage or pictures from 20/7/77 to appear would be revealing in itself...but then, I wouldn't mind hearing the first part of the show either, just to see how bad it was...

I have never heard the audio of the show, but given the review that Conneyfogle posted...it sounds like it was a fairly decent show right up until they played Trampled Underfoot (which was their first time playing it in a month). Then every song afterwards...Kashmir, Achilles, sounds like it was BAD.

The live audio starts at the acoustic set, so unless the first 7 songs suddenly appear, I am wondering if the acoustic set is any good (or average with the rest of the tour?), and how does Stairway sound, expecially Jimmy's solo? Once Kashmir started, after everyone joined, did that sound off as well?

Anyone with the audio recording, could you comment? All we ever read was Trampled being bad, Jimmy skipping White Summer and starting with Black Mountainside (which caught everyone else off guard where Kashmir was slowly joined by the others), and then Achilles where the flashpots go off.

The acoustic set isn't that bad, actually. It's...interesting. Plant's voice is shot. Not like '75 shot, but he doesn't bother going for any high notes and isn't very talkative. The playing is very loose, with long breaks between the songs due to the usual technical difficulties (guitar changes, etc). Page goes into "Dancing Days" for about two seconds during BYAS getting a reaction from Bonham, but they don't pursue it any further. The main problem with "Trampled Under Foot" is Page, it's almost like he's forgotten how the song goes (his solo is dreadful), and the abrupt transition from "Black Mountain Side" into "Kashmir" sort of works. It's one of those things like Bonham's early intro on "Achilles" on May 26. Then there's cuts in the tape, and the noise solo sort of drags (the drum solo appears to have retired after Seattle). ALS here is a disaster, but then Page had just been knocked on his ass by explosive pyrotechnics, so that should be considered. "Stairway" actually isn't bad, but there's a lot of tape bleed underneath, you can sort of hear "Jumping Jack Flash", of all things. And, to his credit, Page's "Stairway" solo is pretty good on the night. Plant's parting words to the crowd are, "Thank you...you've been too kind...really."

I'd imagine the opening electric set was hit or miss. I bet "No Quarter" was short and to the point, not half an hour. But, judging from that guy's review who was there it pretty much jibes with what's on the tape. And, as I've said elsewhere, you don't exactly hear the audience booing or anything. They're pretty rowdy (a few firecrackers) but it was still probably a hell of a good time for those in attendance. Every band has off nights. Not that I'm trying to defend or justify Zeppelin's performance- it is pretty bad. But there are a couple other '77 shows just as bad IMO, and certainly some of the 1980 concerts.

In light of the circumstances -Bonham, Cole, et al putting the boot to one of Bill Graham's men- the second Oakland show is better than the first. The July 23 has some jaw dropping mistakes (not all from Page, but his blowing the intro to the solo in "Ten Years Gone" is probably the closest I've ever heard the band come to a complete musical collapse). Fortunately there are also a few different decent recordings of these shows for posterity. The Oakland shows IMO are surprisingly enjoyable, mistakes and all.

• 3 months later...

Found this write up

The show opened with a strong performance of "Ths Song Remains the Same". Jimmy Page was dressed in his black dragon pants, with a plain black tee-shirt, and white scarf. The first part of the set seemed decent, with the exception of Page who stood still near Bonzo's drum riser for most of the night. During the guitar solo in "Over the Hills and Far Away" Page miscalculated his need to switch his guitar floor effect, with Robert Plant being closer to it and actually activating it for him. Things took a strange turn after a very low key acoustic set. During "Trampled Underfoot" Page turned in a very uninspired guitar solo. Then...He chose not to perform "White Summer". He played a few bars of "Black Mountain Side" before going into "Kashmir"......but without the rest of the band, slowly Bonzo joined in, then John Paul Jones. Next ...there was no "Moby Dick!!" Bonzo seemed to be "missing in action" at the close of Page's guitar solo so there was an improvisational opening to "Achilles Last Stand". And after the opening bars of "Achilles" right when the song "kicks" in, there was an extremely LOUD explosion with a blinding white light from the flashpots located at the front of the stage, which threw Jimmy back a couple feet, then you could see him going over to the side of the stage raising a closed fist presumably at a roadie. After the song Robert announced that the explosion was not meant to happen and that the person responsable would soon be "casterated". The band just never seemed to ever get on track and turned in a very uneven performance. Jimmy was content with standing perfectly still through most of the show. During "Stairway To Heaven'' Jimmy actually dropped to one knee during the guitar solo. Bonzo seemed in a hurry to end the show and was off his drum stool and gone before Robert finished the final lyric. So you didn't have the customary cymbal flurry at the end of the song. Then.... that WAS IT!!!

NO ENCORE! I heard people in the crowd after the show making comments, one was "Led Zeppelin didn't eat their Wheaties". But you know even though the performance was very lacklustre, I was never the less just happy that I got to see them live, and being only 75 feet from the stage,well very close. Tempe Arizona, sadly would be the second to last U.S. city the band would ever play in. It would have been nice to have had a supercharged show, but that was not the way it was. I hope you enjoyed my concert memory.

Thanks, Ed Ortiz"

Great read there, i did read a snippet of that fans' report in the Concert File.

Always wondered why the start of Achilles is like that, just thought iwas only because of Page.

I like Luis Rey's write-up in his book...

The "Trampled Underfoot" guitar solo can be described as "Jimmy Page's battle with one note (and himself)" while Plant's vocals fail too.

No "White Summer" in this performance, just a few bars of "Black Mountainside" and Page gets straight into the "Kashmir" beat, but without the group! Finally Bonham and the rest follow the space-out Mr. Page!

Next is "Achilles Last Stand"; what chaos! Everybody seems in a wild race, chasing each other. Finally Bonham trashes the usually quiet closing guitar arpeggios with a vengeance (he seems about to kill Page). The dangers of "tight-looseness!"

A very erratic, but interesting performance.

Still, for some film footage or pictures from 20/7/77 to appear would be revealing in itself...but then, I wouldn't mind hearing the first part of the show either, just to see how bad it was...

I have never heard the audio of the show, but given the review that Conneyfogle posted...it sounds like it was a fairly decent show right up until they played Trampled Underfoot (which was their first time playing it in a month). Then every song afterwards...Kashmir, Achilles, sounds like it was BAD.

The live audio starts at the acoustic set, so unless the first 7 songs suddenly appear, I am wondering if the acoustic set is any good (or average with the rest of the tour?), and how does Stairway sound, expecially Jimmy's solo? Once Kashmir started, after everyone joined, did that sound off as well?

Anyone with the audio recording, could you comment? All we ever read was Trampled being bad, Jimmy skipping White Summer and starting with Black Mountainside (which caught everyone else off guard where Kashmir was slowly joined by the others), and then Achilles where the flashpots go off.

I may be a little biased :D but its really not as bad as the legend its grown to be.

the sound quality of only known recording does not help:

Recording Includes: The Battle Of Evermore [ 5:42 ], Going To California [ 5:18 ], Black Country Woman (<< Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Dancing Days..) [ 9:58 ], Trampled Underfoot [ 8:15 ], [ cut ], Black Mountain Side [ 0:10 ] >> Kashmir [ 8:19 - cut ], [ cut ], Guitar Solo [ 14:50 - cut ] >> Achilles Last Stand [ 10:17 ], Stairway To Heaven [ 14:07 ].

Source: Incomplete fair to good audience recording. Near 90 minutes.

Details: Noticeably distant, muddy and fairly muffled tape.

if your not a fan of the '77 tour you will really not like the performance. If your a '77 fan, then you might be more forgiving.

Archived