The (Real) Football Thread

dig zoso

4-nil and it feels so good... biggrin.gif

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baybee!!! What a great win. :D

16 goals for and only 1 against in the last three Champions League games. Amazing.

Extremely unfortunately, I haven't been to Anfield. :'(

And I can't even, I dunno, look dramatically up at the sky, shake my fist and say, "Sometime in my life, I'll be standing on the Kop"...because I don't have my whole life; the demolition seems like it's approaching so quickly! But if there's ever a chance, you can be sure I'll take it! That's terrific that you had a season ticket there; I can't pretend not to be envious.

Awwww don't be envious. It goes on and on. Even now, there are a folks who go each week to Anfield that never went on the old Spion Kop when it was a standing terrace. I first started going to Anfield in the late 1970s when the Kop was like this:

Even so, I was always jealous that I never went on the Kop back in the 1960s when the great Bill Shankly was the boss. There is always going to be SOME people that wish they would have been been around in other times. Human nature.

Mind you, as you know you haven't got too many years left if you really want to go to Anfield before it gets crumbled. I haven't been there too often these last ten or a dozen years. I live too far away now and it's way too expensive etc etc to get there. I still miss the old days when I was there every week. :(

Why we, around the world, call this game football, if it is played by foot, not by hands like the american football? :hysterical:

Hey my Brasilian friend. You are so right!!! :D

Even the Australians call their game 'football', when it is largely played with the hands. It does NOT make sense to me.

id_2847_pelegarrincha.jpg

Pelé and Garrincha, just the best ever

Ah Pele and Garrincha. Beautiful legends of football. All football fans in England know and respect them.

But.......they were a bit before my time. In my time, I LOVED the great Zico. He was my favourite Brasilian player.:)

World Cup 1982. Brasil should have won it. They were the best team then.

vif.gif

Vålerenga Kjerke

Tekst/melodi: Trond Ingebretsen

Da høsten var som klarest - en september ettermiddag

strømmet skjebnen ut små gnister på Vålerenga.

Bud gikk ut over byen - til kvinne og til mann

om at kjerka opp i parken sto i brann.

Det var mange som tok veien - som følte de måtte dra

opp til småhus og stille gater - mellom Galgeberg og Etterstad.

Flammen dannset i kvelden - lyste mot åsen bak

da Vålerenga kjerke - fikk himmel`n sjøl til tak.

Så mange minner - og tanker - lever i en menneskekropp

knytter oss til steder der vi vokste opp.

Kjærlighet til ei gate - til et hus og til en gård

der vi brukte våre aller beste år.

Og mange som stod der i parken - var døpt i kjerka engang

og hadde spasert over gulvet - mens bryllupsklokka klang.

Flammen danset i kvelden - lyste mot åsen bak

da Vålerenga kjerke - fikk himmel`n sjøl til tak.

I parken - stod det menn - som hadde spelt fotball siden dem var små

og siden ble helter for Klanen på Store Stå.

Der sto unge, menn og kvinner - som hadde flytte inn i seinere år

for å gi nytt liv til en del av byen vår.

Og orgelet spilte aleine - jeg sverger på at det er sant

og kjerkeklokka ringte - da taket til slutt forsvant.

Naken, grå og øde - som en skygge mot åsen bak

sto Vålerenga kjerke - med himmel`n sjøl til tak.

• 4 months later...

I am sincerely sorry to hear about the passing of Tommy Burns. A wonderful player, coach and most importantly a fine father and husband. A true gentleman and a Celtic legend. He will be missed.

Aren't there any man united fans around here? What a season they've had! And just wait till the 21st.

open for argument against any blues B)

They've had a fantastic season. The all English final should be a classic

The all English final should be a classic

If it is anything like last year's F.A Cup Final..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No thanks.

To me, the European Cup/CL Final should be about teams from different countries going head to head. Not really interested in this year's final.

Still, hope Chelsea win. Don't want Fergie winning a second CL. He doesn't deserve to get anywhere near Bob Paisley's record and Man Utd only scrape into the top ten of European Cup/CL winners and finalists right now. Don't want them heading up the list. I like seeing them lower down and behind Madrid, AC Milan, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan and Benfica. If they win, they'll jump up to 6th place overall. Don't want that.

If it is anything like last year's F.A Cup Final..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No thanks.

To me, the European Cup/CL Final should be about teams from different countries going head to head. Not really interested in this year's final.

Still, hope Chelsea win. Don't want Fergie winning a second CL. He doesn't deserve to get anywhere near Bob Paisley's record and Man Utd only scrape into the top ten of European Cup/CL winners and finalists right now. Don't want them heading up the list. I like seeing them lower down and behind Madrid, AC Milan, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan and Benfica. If they win, they'll jump up to 6th place overall. Don't want that.

Well, they are the two best teams in Europe at the moment. I hope they have a go at each other

I hope Chelsea win and wipe th esmug smile off Ronaldo's face and I would love to hear the excuses from Ferguson if they do lose.

Loved Querioz's statement about Man U not getting penalties, this from the team that gets a penalty allownance at the beginning of every season. :D

I hope Chelsea win and wipe th esmug smile off Ronaldo's face and I would love to hear the excuses from Ferguson if they do lose.

Loved Querioz's statement about Man U not getting penalties, this from the team that gets a penalty allownance at the beginning of every season. :D

Well, I'm not a fan of either team but if they both come to play , it should be a cracker.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Socceroos (Aussies) a few hours ago have qualified for the 2010 World Cup. YEAH!!!

Second team in (not counting host nation South Africa) - 2 hours after Japan got through. Last time (our first appearance sine 1974) were took the 32nd spot.

Still hard to forget being bundled out of the second round in 2006, the 93th minute by the diving, cheating Italians :angry::angry::angry: (and that they also went on to win the Cup :( )

Still hard to forget being bundled out of the second round in 2006, the 93th minute by the diving, cheating Italians :angry::angry::angry: (and that they also went on to win the Cup :( )

I'm with ya. The Aussies were robbed last time out. Jammy Italians.

Socceroos (Aussies) a few hours ago have qualified for the 2010 World Cup. YEAH!!!

Second team in (not counting host nation South Africa) - 2 hours after Japan got through. Last time (our first appearance sine 1974) were took the 32nd spot.

Sadly, we're seeing way too much diving and faking of injury in all leagues now. Even in Britain !!! I have to say that even the club I support had a player who's play acting got another player sent off.

Rightly, the club punished the boy but the damage to any clubs reputation for these types of incidents seems to go unnoticed by too many players

Archived