The Song Remains The Same Screening (Newcastle)

• Administrators

MEET THE FILMMAKER: The Song Remains The Same + Led Zeppelin Concert Director Dick Carruthers

Tues 6 July 2010, 7.30pm

Tyneside Cinema

Pilgrim Street,

Newcastle upon Tyne

www.tynesidecinema.co.uk/one

Newcastle's Tyneside Cinema is set to rock things up in July as is welcomes the award winning live concert and DVD director Dick Carruthers.

Dick has filmed the likes of Oasis, The Rolling Stones, Beyonce, Keane, Take That, The White Stripes, The Who and many others and is at the Tyneside to talk about his work on the re-issue of 'The Song Remains the Same' the epic concert film of legendary rockers Led Zeppelin.

At this special event Dick will give a rare insight into working with some of the music world's legends - including directing Zeppelins 2007 concert at the 02 – and will be joined with his collaborator on documentary Metal-Louder Than Life, music historian Chris Phipps.

The event kicks off with a screening of the remastered version of The Song Remains The Same, introduced by Dick, and after the show Dick will discuss his work and take questions from the audience.

Music historian Chris Phipps said:

"If you are a casual rock fan or a Zeppelin completist you will not want to miss this rare opportunity of hearing from this remarkable director. Dick has made some of the best concert films out there, with each of them giving you the feeling as if you were actually there, such is his talent."

July is shaping to be full of film treats for rock fans - new documentary about The Doors 'When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors' also opens at the Tyneside on Friday 2nd July.

'The Song Remains The Same' plus Dick Carruthers in Conversation takes place at the Tyneside Cinema, Pilgrim Street, Newcastle on Tuesday 6 July at 7.30pm, tickets are £9.00/£8.00 concessons. 'When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors' opens on Friday 2 July, tickets are £7.50/£6.50 concessions.

For more information on these events or to book tickets go to the Tyneside Cinema website at www.tynesidecinema.co.uk or phone the box office on 0845 217 9909.

Where are all the vocal members of the forum when it actually makes a difference? wink.gif

Speaking for myself if I have questions to ask - and probably will - I'll post them here in due course as the event is still over a week away. Opportunties such as this are very much appreciated; two of my questions were answered last time.

Speaking for myself if I have questions to ask - and probably will - I'll post them here in due course as the event is still over a week away. Opportunties such as this are very much appreciated; two of my questions were answered last time.

Well that's very cool Steve, thanks. :)

Anyone interested please just bear in mind the questions have to be got to them in advance x

Where are all the vocal members of the forum when it actually makes a difference? ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have any new questions for TSRTS director D. Carruthers at the moment. He was nice enough to answer all the questions I asked the last time around:

http://forums.ledzep...ming-screening/

PS - Chris Phipps is also a part of Zeppelin history, having being a member of the team who filmed Robert in 1984 for The Tube (which was never shown) and interviewed Robert in JBs in Dudley for another Tube show (which WAS shown).

If he is taking questions about the 02 show, aside from the obvious when will it be released? I'd ask how good is the captured footage, the sound and of course, what did the experience mean to you capturing Led Zeppelin for a second time 34 years later. B)

I have seen the film many times, and can't recall hearing Jimmy or John Bonham speaking. Was that deliberate?

Also, which artist(s) today do you feel come closest to capturing that spontaneous/organic/magical quality that Zeppelin possessed onstage?

I agreed strongly with jimmy that there were almost no far off shots. I hate these concert films that show close ups of the band. I would much much much rather see them as a whole on stage and see what stage show the people there are seeing rather then yet another close up of jimmy making a "duck" face as my wife calls it.

So question is will there be more of an "in attendance feel" to the 02 (if it gets released) and also why is jimmy saying now that there will not be a release most likely!!!!

thanks very kindly in advance.

{non related mostly but} my wife like ice skating so we watched the winter olympics online, with no commentary just the PA guy no commercials, just like you were there you saw everything including boring warmups. was the first time I actually enjoyed skating.

My dearest wish is they broadcast all sports and concerts like you are there in the stadium with a in the stadium viewpoint. That would make watching such things so F*&^ing nice :-)

To my ears it sounds like Jimmy (off-camera) conversing with Robert in the locker room.

Thanks Steve. I'd never heard him speak before until the O2 press, so if he was speaking off camera in the film, I wouldn't have known. (I haven't watched the film all the way through since then).

I know we did this last time, but if anyone has any questions they've come up with for Dick or Chris they are willing to take a couple from this forum for the Q & A session.

Hi Knebby!

I looked at the last thread so as not to duplicate a question. So why was the alternate fantasy version of Robert with Maureen not used? Who's decision was it not to use this version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHobwuPGdhQ

Thanks Sam for the original post:-)

I love the fantasy sequences. I agree with Knebby (stated on the prior thread) that it definitely set the movie apart from other live concert films or rockumentaries. My question would be how did this come about - adding the scenes against the songs? Did each band member have total control over it or did they work with the director to lay it out?

TSRTS Questions for Mr. Carruthers:

1. Was inclusion of The Kinks' 'You Really Got Me' (during Cameron Crowe's Jimmy Page interview segment) on the 2007 cd release deliberate or an oversight? Did the subsequent lawsuit surprise him or the band? I'm aware it was featured on the original production.

Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert Questions for Mr. Carruthers:

1. Were any other venues given serious consideration for hosting this event?

2. How much did the enormous Led Zeppelin backdrop cost, who built it, what does it weigh and where is it now?

3. Ronnie Wood was on the bill so why did he not perform?

4. Did Mr. Carruthers become emotional at any time during the rehearsals or production for this event?

5. In hindsight is there anything about this event Mr. Carruthers would change if he could?

6. Did Mr. Carruthers keep any mementos from this event?

Questions for Mr. Phipps:

1. Do you recall Robert being immediately and noticeably displeased with his 6/22/83 performance recorded for 'A Midsummer Nights Tube' television program or was his decision to halt its airing made after reviewing the playback?

Do you recall what his specific reservations were concerning his performance?

2. Do you have any photographs or audio recordings from the Robert Plant interviews/performances you were involved with that can be shared publicly?

3. Can you share with us some of Robert Plant's favorite haunts (record stores, restaurants, hotels, etc) in Newcastle?

4. Can you share with us any anecdotes concerning Robert Plant?

Thanks, Knebby. Good questions so far... :)

My questions for them are:

1) Has Jason Bonham (or his people) contacted you regarding any unreleased footage, promotional materials, etc.. from TSRTS film needed to incorporate into his upcoming tribute concert tour this fall for his dad?

A ) If so, is there anything of note unseen that will be on display in the lobby or from stage at each venue?

B ) Will you be working with him (either as an advisor for reference or director) to put together a documentary of the tour for a future theatrical release, dvd/blue-ray?

2) Regarding the 2007 O2 Ahmet Tribute concert, did you direct or were you involved in any part of the production process during the recording of any rehearsals/photo sessions/ interviews (with any forum members, site admin, fans, vip guests at the event or any of the band members from Led Zeppelin) for a possible extras section of a future dvd,blue-ray release?

3) Any current/ future projects of interest?

(directing any other bands/artists?)

Both)

R B)

There's a lot of great questions here, it's a pity they won't be able to answer them all. Thanks people for taking the time!

Steve, I can answer a couple of your questions by PM, which I will do as soon as I have the time.

When the band members (and Peter Grant?) initially approached you with the idea of filming some of the 1973 concerts was their original intent to create a documentary similar to Gimme Shelter, Woodstock, Don’t Look Back, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc. - or did they envision something different? At that time did you get the impression that they wanted to preserve or shape the band’s legacy through film? Do you feel they were already conscious of how influential LZ was and would be to rock music? Was part of the band’s motivation for the film to capture a new generation of younger fans? At what point was the decision made to include the fantasy sequences and why? What factors accounted for the three year lapse between the 1973 concerts and the release of the film?

When the band members (and Peter Grant?) initially approached you with the idea of filming some of the 1973 concerts was their original intent to create a documentary similar to Gimme Shelter, Woodstock, Don't Look Back, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc. - or did they envision something different? At that time did you get the impression that they wanted to preserve or shape the band's legacy through film? Do you feel they were already conscious of how influential LZ was and would be to rock music? Was part of the band's motivation for the film to capture a new generation of younger fans? At what point was the decision made to include the fantasy sequences and why? What factors accounted for the three year lapse between the 1973 concerts and the release of the film?

i have no evidence to support this but my belief is that bolan's born to boogie film may have had a small influence on recordings

is this date a one off or are there likely to be any others in other areas of the country?

if not i shall try to get along to this night

I was hoping perhaps this one could also be presented at a later date as an audio stream or podcast. I don't think the first one was recorded for posterity so here's hoping it is documented in some manner.

is this date a one off or are there likely to be any others in other areas of the country?

if not i shall try to get along to this night

I think it's a one-off as Chris Phipps is based in the North-East and arranged the whole thing.

Archived