Random Facts About Yourself

Puck Slapping Maple Sucker

These are some IT facts about myself (yes, I am being a total nerd here :P):

i) I don't like Microsoft Excel very much - it takes way too much of time for me. I find that spreadsheets start freezing up even while doing the simplest of operations and there are not enough of supporting documents to give a novice a clear idea of the kinds of key board shortcuts that one can use

ii) I know how to code both in R and Python.

iii) I have just started learning R programming but I am fascinated by its capabilities, especially with regard to Big Data. My favourite topic is working with data frames in R. 

iv) What bugs me about Python is its inability to adapt well to reading in files whose sizes are in GB's.

v) R is fast becoming my favourite programming language. I make sure that I practice at least for an hour a day, so as to not lose touch. 

• 3 months later...

I am going to be brutally honest.

While I do watch some test cricket and football, I am in general, not at all keen on sports as a hobby. I in fact, hate playing sports. Yes, even the so-called indoor games like table tennis and billiards. I just don't get it. I don't find it fun and relaxing. I in fact, find it incredibly stressful, what with the whole "must play to ONLY WIN" mentality. 

My true interests are music, theatre, literature and history. The Arts!

I have never played sports in my adult life. I had a terribly rough time in PE class in school. I don't like how some people like to dominate and constantly berate others who cannot play but who are nevertheless, trying so hard. 

37 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Sounds like a nightmare, I'm terrified of heights. What did you do?

I used to work at a resort and ran the top lift. I was the last one down one night and the lift stopped halfway down. I sat for about thirty minutes waiting for someone, then looked down and picked out the best spot to break my ankle. A ski patrol guy came down right before I jumped and I managed to yell at him and get his attention.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I used to work at a resort and ran the top lift. I was the last one down one night and the lift stopped halfway down. I sat for about thirty minutes waiting for someone, then looked down and picked out the best spot to break my ankle. A ski patrol guy came down right before I jumped and I managed to yell at him and get his attention.

Yikes.😓😥

I could not throw a punch to save my life. Cannot fight for shit, never could. I used to be a really good peace maker at the pub with some of my "exuberant" mates. High school was a nightmare for me. But once (recent times, after marriage and kids) at night saw someone having a sneaky look around in my backyard (after hearing a noise) and naked (fresh out of bed), charged out the back to grab him and thump him in a rage I have not felt before (or since). He legged it in panic before i even got the back door open, and I just said loud enough for him to hear "Yeah, you BETTER run..."

It was the only time I remember being so aggressively angry and really wanting to MAKE that kid understand the error of his ways. It was quite an interesting feeling. I surprised the shit out of myself.

• 1 month later...

Archived