Random Facts About Yourself

Puck Slapping Maple Sucker

I once, in 1978, turned down the opportunity to see Lynyrd Skynyrd in Manchester and went to see Genesis instead. Genesis were crap, Lynyrd well.......

I also said no to see Rory Gallagher because I fancied a girl at the club we used to go to and I was close to scoring - I didn't. Rory was of course (by all accounts) great

I go by my middle name. (Morgan)

Recently meeting some of the good folks here on Facebook :wave:reminded me of every year on the first day of school, when the teachers would check attendance, I would have to tell them I'm called Morgan, not Richard. Often times, it would go something like this:

Teacher: Richard Smith?

Me: Here. I go by Morgan.

Teacher: Gordon?

Me: No, Morgan.

Teacher: Oh, Morton? Marvin? Martin?... 

Me: :wall:

:lol:

I go by my middle name. (Morgan)

Recently meeting some of the good folks here on Facebook :wave:reminded me of every year on the first day of school, when the teachers would check attendance, I would have to tell them I'm called Morgan, not Richard. Often times, it would go something like this:

Teacher: Richard Smith?

Me: Here. I go by Morgan.

Teacher: Gordon?

Me: No, Morgan.

Teacher: Oh, Morton? Marvin? Martin?... 

Me: :wall:

Oh my gosh! Welcome to my world, man! :lol: Pretty much the exact same thing, used to happen to me throughout Primary School and Middle School (Junior High)! Attendance was taken at the beginning of each class, throughout the day and I couldn't believe how many teachers actually existed that just couldn't be bothered to get my name right! I mean, I was called everything from Priya, Peta, Prita, Preta, Preeti to even Parita (that sounds like a name, someone would give a Parrot! I mean, what's next? Polly?! :P ).

It became so bad that I was actually, half expecting to be addressed by the name Peter (at any moment, when attendance was being taken) or even by the name of an Indian flatbread dish, called Paratha! :P 

And what took the cake was that, most of the teachers (who very carelessly got my name wrong) would get really angry if I failed to indicate my presence in the class room and tick me off for it in front of the other kids! Sheesh! :wacko: 

Even though, I was very shy and awkward in Primary School and Middle School, I sometimes, really felt the urge to yell out : 'The name's Preetha! P-R-E-E-T-H-A. How hard is that for you people, to understand?! :wall:

Yeah, I also go by my middle name - because my father and I shared the same first name, so they called me by my middle name (they didn't want big Charlie and little Charlie, for some reason - the weird part is he was out of the house by the time I was like 2).  So every year when they would call our names, I would hear every variation of my first name "Charles" that could ever be thought of.  I hated it, but eventually embraced it and now use it in professional circles.  Still go by my middle name with family.  Strange, but true.

Since I was a kid most people addressed me with my family name (which is a weird sounding one, so I guess that stuck easier) thinking that my family name is actually my first name. And yeah, some dare to ask me for my family name because my "first name" sounds so odd.

Imbeciles!

Oh my gosh! Welcome to my world, man! :lol: Pretty much the exact same thing, used to happen to me throughout Primary School and Middle School (Junior High)! Attendance was taken at the beginning of each class, throughout the day and I couldn't believe how many teachers actually existed that just couldn't be bothered to get my name right! I mean, I was called everything from Priya, Peta, Prita, Preta, Preeti to even Parita (that sounds like a name, someone would give a Parrot! I mean, what's next? Polly?! :P ).

It became so bad that I was actually, half expecting to be addressed by the name Peter (at any moment, when attendance was being taken) or even by the name of an Indian flatbread dish, called Paratha! :P 

And what took the cake was that, most of the teachers (who very carelessly got my name wrong) would get really angry if I failed to indicate my presence in the class room and tick me off for it in front of the other kids! Sheesh! :wacko: 

Even though, I was very shy and awkward in Primary School and Middle School, I sometimes, really felt the urge to yell out : 'The name's Preetha! P-R-E-E-T-H-A. How hard is that for you people, to understand?! :wall:

That literally made me lol, P. :hysterical:;)

Yeah, I also go by my middle name - because my father and I shared the same first name, so they called me by my middle name (they didn't want big Charlie and little Charlie, for some reason - the weird part is he was out of the house by the time I was like 2).  So every year when they would call our names, I would hear every variation of my first name "Charles" that could ever be thought of.  I hated it, but eventually embraced it and now use it in professional circles.  Still go by my middle name with family.  Strange, but true.

Same here, my dad is Richard as well. Also, imagine what I went through when the kids realized that Dick is a nickname for Richard! :lol:

:friends:;)

2902021-_e2_97_81__e2_9c_88_say_what_now

Dude, I have always thought that Rick was the nickname for Richard, not Dick! :lol: 

The name Richard is very old and was popular during the Middle Ages. In the 12th and 13th centuries everything was written by hand and Richard nicknames like Rich and Rick were common just to save time. Rhyming nicknames were also common and eventually Rick gave way to Dick and Hick, while Rich became Hitch.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24761/origins-10-nicknames

;)

There was an estate agent in the village where I lived. His first name was Richard but unfortunately his surname was Head

A guy at the place were I worked had an even more unfortunate name, Peter Fyldes.

The name Richard is very old and was popular during the Middle Ages. In the 12th and 13th centuries everything was written by hand and Richard nicknames like Rich and Rick were common just to save time. Rhyming nicknames were also common and eventually Rick gave way to Dick and Hick, while Rich became Hitch.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24761/origins-10-nicknames

;)

Thanks for the info, Morgan! Very interesting stuff! :) 

There was an estate agent in the village where I lived. His first name was Richard but unfortunately his surname was Head

A guy at the place were I worked had an even more unfortunate name, Peter Fyldes.

We have an area manager called Michael Hunt. I kid you not.

and a young guy that has the name Chris Moss ..... very festive.

Despite the generic male icon by my forum handle, I'm female.  

My astrological sign is Sagittarius.

I'm a history buff.

I like classic rock and new wave music but most punk rock and indie rock music leaves me cold.

I spend too much money on cappuccinos and lattes.

Despite the generic male icon by my forum handle, I'm female.  

My astrological sign is Sagittarius.

I'm a history buff.

I like classic rock and new wave music but most punk rock and indie rock music leaves me cold.

I spend too much money on cappuccinos and lattes.

Nothing wrong with female ducks, but indeed the icon sucks...lol.

Archived