Bath Festival - 40 years ago today

A bit of a milestone in Zep's history. I even got my old festival programme out for a bit of a look today.

Of course I realise the boys played the 2nd day, so that makes it 40 years since Pink Floyd played there.

One of my work colleagues went there when he was a young (not such a youngster now though). He had a good time, so his memories are a bit hazy. Another person I work with tells me that his older brother took him to the 1969 Bath Festival. Again, his memories are a bit hazy. Naughty boys!

Not forgetting that Glastonbury started because of Bath 1970. Michael and Jean Eavis went down the road to this one, which inspired them to hold their own festival on their farm a few months later.

I was born way too late to be there, but i'm shure it was great!

I listened to a version of Since I've been loving you from that show, a few days ago and the vocal was extremely powerfull!

It's interesting though, that the song itself was quite simple at that point! It developed a lot more before they recorded Zep III and then it developed more and more up until 73 and then some Tea for one was thrown in in 77!!

It's pretty clear why Page didn't include this song on Albert Hall official DVD!! That version was six months younger then The Bath one, so he probably didn't want his audience to hear such a simple version!

• 2 years later...

on wiki, on the 1970 Festival at Bath

"The festival featured many innovations, including projections of the bands on screens on the side of the stage, a good quality PA system, on-site tents for the patrons to sleep in and larger tents which projected films such as King Kong throughout the night . The expenditure on these items ate into the profits, and many people decamped with the tents, which were hired. This was another expense that had to borne by the promoters.

The festival was captured on both film and on video, in varying quality, but a lack of post-festival organisation led to the footage being lost for many years. Much of it has now been recovered, but the black and white footage is of poor quality and is in many different hands. It is considered unlikely that it will ever see the light of day as a legitimate release since no one can agree on who owns the copyright. This situation could be contrasted to the Isle of Wight Festival, which was professionally recorded and filmed in color."

483px-PA_System_Bath_1970.jpeg

(image posted by, and thanks to, JULIAN on RoyalOrleans)

thought this would be an interesting bit if this has not been discussed!

A bit of a milestone in Zep's history. I even got my old festival programme out for a bit of a look today.

Of course I realise the boys played the 2nd day, so that makes it 40 years since Pink Floyd played there.

One of my work colleagues went there when he was a young (not such a youngster now though). He had a good time, so his memories are a bit hazy. Another person I work with tells me that his older brother took him to the 1969 Bath Festival. Again, his memories are a bit hazy. Naughty boys!

Not forgetting that Glastonbury started because of Bath 1970. Michael and Jean Eavis went down the road to this one, which inspired them to hold their own festival on their farm a few months later.

Didn't you once post, if not here, on another Zep forum a recording of you attempting the vocals for SIBLY? If so, would you post it again?

• 1 month later...

Archived