Your favorite releases of 2010 so far

First I am ignorant, than close-minded.

Look. In my world it is called having an opinion and having it's own taste. I hate hip hop too, can you handle that?

I hate corn, I hate anime, I hate snow.

People are different, stop analyzing my (dis)likes, it will lead you nowhere.

First I am ignorant, than close-minded.

Look. In my world it is called having an opinion and having it's own taste. I hate hip hop too, can you handle that?

I hate corn, I hate anime, I hate snow.

People are different, stop analyzing my (dis)likes, it will lead you nowhere.

It's not a question of analyzing, it's a question of trying to understand why you disregard anything with the term "indie" attached to it. So, as we watch the record industry collapse and more and more artists choose to run their own labels will you just opt not to listen to music at all simply because they are free of the major labels and are considered independent? Swan Song was a label started up by Zep. If they were a new band today and issued their music solely on their own label (making them an independent artist) would you write them off based just on that? The Grateful Dead and the Rolling Stones also started up their own labels. If they were new bands today would you also not to listen to them based just on the fact that they're independent artists?

Back to the topic - I too am really excited about the Orb's new album with Gilmour! I like both separately and I think the combination will be brill.

The little bit that I've heard sounds divine. I like what he did and what they did with it. The interview below is with Alex Patterson and Youth and they basically discuss the making of the album but you get a few more snippets of music they did with David that aren't in the EPK I posted in the other thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m2XJKRP33NM5L

The little bit that I've heard sounds divine. I like what he did and what they did with it. The interview below is with Alex Patterson and Youth and they basically discuss the making of the album but you get a few more snippets of music they did with David that aren't in the EPK I posted in the other thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m2XJKRP33NM5L

Thanks! Very very cool and even more excited for the full album!!!

Trying to understand leads to analysis. You don't get to say what this is, cause you are not the one being judged here. And man, I already indirectly answered this.

I'm not judging anyone. You took the time to come into this thread to slam what you perceive as "indie rock" and I'm trying to explain to you that there is no such thing. It's like how people mistakenly refer to "classic rock" as a genre when it is not one, it's a radio format. So, when I see someone totally write off independent artists I want to understand why. Independent artists record a variety of different music that covers the spectrum so when one totally writes off all independent artists because of a misconception about the meaning of the word "indie" I have a very hard time grasping that sort of reasoning. It's like someone saying I don't like music at all. Yes, that person has every right to feel that way but it doesn't stop me from wondering how they arrived at that conclusion. As I mentioned, back in the 70s everyone from Led Zeppelin to the Grateful Dead reached a point where they were able to set up their own labels that freed them from the tyranny of working with the majors. To completely brush aside all independent artists is something I just don't understand. And yes, you may have "indirectly" answered this ("I don't like it's style, popularity, appearance, ...") but that's addressing "indie rock" as a genre, one that doesn't even exist. That even further confounds my understanding of how someone can make such a sweeping generalization regarding independent artists. So, I pose the question again, if Led Zeppelin were a new artist today that issued their first record on an independent label would you immediately write them off based completely on that?

-.-

So, you are talking about independent music, independent artists. Good for them.

What I am talking about here is a genre that I don't like, "emo, punky, trashy, yeah-yeah-yeahs-y".

I already made this difference earlier, and I find it hard to believe that you didn't get what I was saying.

Anyway, I kind of don't really care what more do you have to say, greetings from the most beautiful city in the universe!

Tristan,

I personally understand what your getting at with your vision of what constitutes "indie" music. I see a swell of bands I'd catagorize that way too and I don't mean necessarily on 'independent labels'.

It's the same as if I said, what kind of bands are Journey, Foreigner, Jefferson Starship, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith and the like ? Most everyone would say 'Classic Rock'. It's not always my cup of tea and I wouldn't necessarily catagorize them as such, but I DO understand those that call them that.

It's a no brainer. PC folks don't like catagorization, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it probably is a duck. Alot of the bands mentioned here I'd catagorize as "indie ducks". ;)

-.-

So, you are talking about independent music, independent artists. Good for them.

What I am talking about here is a genre that I don't like, "emo, punky, trashy, yeah-yeah-yeahs-y".

I already made this difference earlier, and I find it hard to believe that you didn't get what I was saying.

Anyway, I kind of don't really care what more do you have to say, greetings from the most beautiful city in the universe!

Have you listened to Joe Pug from that list? Go have a listen let me know if he sounds "emo, punky, trashy, yeah-yeah-yeahs-y". When you're done listening to him, check out the Drive-By Truckers and let me know if they also fit that description. I'll also add Josh Ritter and the Love Language to that list. None of them fit your description of "indie rock". That's what I mean by sweeping generalizations such as yours. It goes to show you haven't actually taken the time to listen to the artists in question before judging them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, after FINALLY learning what "stoner rock" is all about, thanks to the very interesting website last.fm, I stumbled upon this really amazing indie band from Sweden, going by the name "Asteroid".

I took the plunge and I bought both their self-titled debut album and their album "II" (released 22nd January, 2010) and I was blown away!

Their second album "II" is a real stand out in my book (even better than their debut) and appears to be quite underrated! This is pretty much the most haunting album I've heard in a while! I can't stop listening to it! :wub: It is pretty much my most favourite release for the year 2010! B)

51kDot8m1lL._SS400_.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived