Why did Zeppelin Make it?

McSeven

Its always interesting how certain band make and some that don't. The Who/Doors/Stones/Beatles/Hendrix just to name a few really made it. Still to this day. They are the Rock Gods.

So in your mind. What made Zep appeal to the masses? Was it them constructing Stairway to Heaven. Was it the chemistry of the members? Was it the way they mined the blues? The variety of styles that worked for them?

For some reason. I feel that all music artist that have blues in their music in some form or another, have some sort of longevity. Its almost like the blues is timeless and it keeps the music alive.

What do you all think?

I think it's really simple. Talent. There might not be a better group in their prime that came together to form a better talent of musicians outside of maybe the Beatles. And with all respect to Ringo Starr he's no John Bonham.

I think it's really simple. Talent. There might not be a better group in their prime that came together to form a better talent of musicians outside of maybe the Beatles. And with all respect to Ringo Starr he's no John Bonham.

I agree. The one thing is that Bonzo and Ringo are very differnt drummers. They could not trade places. Ringo to me was served the Beatles to keep the beat. Bonzo served Zep by giving then a Sex Groove to the music.

I guess the Beatles are more Bop orientated and Zep is more Groove. Zep is better live. The Beatles were better in the Studio. Although Zep was really good in Studio as well.

Mcseven

I agrre with everything that was said, but let's not forget, they also had an extremely good manager! Probably the best ever in the music business!

Yea, I think Peter Grant had a lot to do with it. The man was crass, but a genius.

I also think there was something interesting about a band that fought shy of releasing singles, didn't like to be on TV, and wasn't fond of the mainstream press. They made people come out to their shows or listen to their whole albums to truly learn about them. They were all about the music and that's what they wanted to be known for. Not what they do in their personal lives. The 21st Century could use a Zeppelin. They built up a mystique about them (accidental or not, I don't know) and it made them that much more popular. They had interesting album covers, outfits, a whole new way of performing live, and their music was out of this planet. I would say that they were just an amazing band that grew larger and larger because they deserved to. They owned the 1970's. Rightfully so too.

Archived