It's record hot today!

Atlas

The southwest lives with those temperatures regularly during the summer, but it's a dry heat. Used to live in upper state NY and the humidity was awful. You all back there must be feeling like cooked lobsters.

Just pray that the electric does not give out.

The southwest lives with those temperatures regularly during the summer, but it's a dry heat. Used to live in upper state NY and the humidity was awful. You all back there must be feeling like cooked lobsters.

I am in Rochester so I am sure if you lived in upstate NY you are familiar with it? It was 90s last two and I have the AC blasting. NY City hit 101 yesterday.

Atlas, we're only about 2 hrs from you; it really was awful today, like being in an oven. We just got home from a swim meet and we're totally drained. I had planned to go running at 6am tomorrow but I'm probably not. May swim laps tomorrow evening instead.

I went through basic in El Paso. Dry heat only goes so far... But this AIN'T dry heat!

Atlas, we're only about 2 hrs from you; it really was awful today, like being in an oven. We just got home from a swim meet and we're totally drained. I had planned to go running at 6am tomorrow but I'm probably not. May swim laps tomorrow evening instead.

Worst thing about it is that my brain starts shutting down at about 85F, and my temper starts getting out of control at about 90F if it lasts very long.

If you keep your curtains open, keep them closed, that might help a little.

At midnight? BTW, I don't have curtains, I have blinds, but I could try closing them. Big thick insulated curtains like used to be the norm might do some good.

At midnight? BTW, I don't have curtains, I have blinds, but I could try closing them. Big thick insulated curtains like used to be the norm might do some good.

No, not at midnight, but curtains or blinds, when the sun is hitting your window, you won't feel your air conditioning work as good. Even turning off some lamps(or any other lights)should help a little.

I saw on NBC Nightly News that the Northeast was getting crazy temperatures. (edit) It even said that some of the heat waves were breaking records that went back more than a hundred years! (I didn't pay too much attention to the report, so I can't remember the specifics.)

The high in Boise was like 90 (or something) today. I liked it though--but in Boise, we have DRY heat, so it's totally different from East Coast heat.

We have both curtains and blinds. My bedroom faces west, so I usually close the blinds and then close the curtains in the afternoon so my a/c doesn't feel like it's going to blow up around 3-6pm when it starts getting hot. The curtains are totally worth the long term investment.

I hope you guys can handle the heat. If not, you know someone you can visit in the (dry heat) Northwest... ;)

In the 90s here and I don't have air but I live very close to Lake Michigan so that helps a little.

I lived in the Mediterranean for 10 years and summers were hellish. After you reach 90s it doesn't really matter if it's dry heat or not.

I will never live south again!

My condolences to those of you in the northeast U.S. I live in summer temperatures that routinely reach 100F plus.

Some lessons from the wisdom of the Southern states: 1)drink iced tea/other iced drinks- lots of it; 2) close your shades/curtains to darken your rooms- it will drop the temperature; 3) turn off unnecessary lights/electronics- the ambient heat emitted warms the room more than you know; 4)don't perform strenuous activity in the heat of the day- save it for the cooler hours; 5) place a cool/iced cloth around your neck and wear gauzy loose fitted clothing- this will help lower your internal body temperature; therefore lowering the flash point of your temper. B)

Archived