Bob Dylan

DearPrudence

Though I'm also looking very forward to new albums from Wilco (as well as their Ashes of American Flags DVD), Booker T. w/ Neil Young and the Drive-By Truckers, Son Volt, Rhett Miller, Chris Stamey/Peter Holsapple, Tim Easton, Elvis Costello, R.E.M's Reckoning Deluxe Edition and the official release of their working rehearsals from Dublin that led to Accelerate, etc., the new Dylan is among my most eagerly awaited new records of 2009 so far.

Some great upcoming releases there, especially Chris Stamey/Peter Holsapple. Saw Stamey many times, though it's been years.

Edited by ninelives

Some great upcoming releases there, especially Chris Stamey/Peter Holsapple. Saw Stamey many times, though it's been years.

Even though I'm a Db's fan I've only seen him two or three times over the years (once in an impromptu version of Whiskeytown at one of their reunion shows). Most recently he and Holsapple debuted a song from their upcoming record at the 40 anniversary celebration for Arrogance (which includes Don Dixon who co-produced R.E.M.'s Murmur and Reckoning along with many other albums) in Durham a few weekends ago.

In case you're interested, No Depression's website has a list of upcoming releases here.

Even though I'm a Db's fan I've only seen him two or three times over the years (once in an impromptu version of Whiskeytown at one of their reunion shows). Most recently he and Holsapple debuted a song from their upcoming record at the 40 anniversary celebration for Arrogance (which includes Don Dixon who co-produced R.E.M.'s Murmur and Reckoning along with many other albums) in Durham a few weekends ago.

In case you're interested, No Depression's website has a list of upcoming releases here.

I discovered him post DB's so I've never seen them together. Thanks for the NoDepression link. Been meaning to spend some time on their site. I do follow them on Twitter.

I discovered him post DB's so I've never seen them together. Thanks for the NoDepression link. Been meaning to spend some time on their site. I do follow them on Twitter.

I first stumbled upon the local scene via the Mondo Montage, More Mondo and Welcome To Comboland (which have sadly never been made available on CD) compilations which led me to the Db's, Let's Active, Arrogance, the Connells, Southern Culture on the Skids, and tons of others, including R.E.M. Even though R.E.M. aren't from here they frequently gigged in the area and got lots of airplay on WQDR out of Raleigh.

I have a friend that's been on Twitter for at least the last couple of years. Amazing how it's taken off so much lately. I guess it has to do with the Facebook/social networking craze that's taking place. I may look into it eventually but right now I've already got enough web sites/email lists to keep me busy.

I first stumbled upon the local scene via the Mondo Montage, More Mondo and Welcome To Comboland (which have sadly never been made available on CD) compilations which led me to the Db's, Let's Active, Arrogance, the Connells, Southern Culture on the Skids, and tons of others, including R.E.M. Even though R.E.M. aren't from here they frequently gigged in the area and got lots of airplay on WQDR out of Raleigh.

I have a friend that's been on Twitter for at least the last couple of years. Amazing how it's taken off so much lately. I guess it has to do with the Facebook/social networking craze that's taking place. I may look into it eventually but right now I've already got enough web sites/email lists to keep me busy.

Let's Active is another great band I was into. Ever hear of the group Tiny Lights or Winter Hours? I was big into them around the same time. Tiny Lights I think still records.

I don't really get Twitter. Sometimes it's useful when people post articles or bits of news but some use it to twit about every move of their day :rolleyes: I try not to follow those :lol:

Let's Active is another great band I was into. Ever hear of the group Tiny Lights or Winter Hours? I was big into them around the same time. Tiny Lights I think still records.

The one and only time I ever saw Let's Active is when they opened for R.E.M. at Duke on the Pagentry tour in '86. It was Mitch's birthday so R.E.M. came out to sit in on their last song which was Hush. I've since seen Mitch a few times since then (including sitting in with R.E.M. last summer) but not a full on Mitch show, I need to fix that. Not sure I've heard any music by either Tiny Lights or Winter Hours but they do ring a bell. I'll have to do some reading up on them.

I don't really get Twitter. Sometimes it's useful when people post articles or bits of news but some use it to twit about every move of their day :rolleyes: I try not to follow those :lol:

I guess I understand Twitter but it hasn't gotten my attention enough yet to sign up or check it out. It is definitely everywhere these days though. Maybe things like that, MySpace, Friendster, Facebook, etc. are what Andy Warhol meant when he said in the future everyone will have their 15 minutes of fame.

The one and only time I ever saw Let's Active is when they opened for R.E.M. at Duke on the Pagentry tour in '86. It was Mitch's birthday so R.E.M. came out to sit in on their last song which was Hush. I've since seen Mitch a few times since then (including sitting in with R.E.M. last summer) but not a full on Mitch show, I need to fix that. Not sure I've heard any music by either Tiny Lights or Winter Hours but they do ring a bell. I'll have to do some reading up on them.

I guess I understand Twitter but it hasn't gotten my attention enough yet to sign up or check it out. It is definitely everywhere these days though. Maybe things like that, MySpace, Friendster, Facebook, etc. are what Andy Warhol meant when he said in the future everyone will have their 15 minutes of fame.

I never saw Let's Active but I feel like I saw Mitch not on his own but sharing a stage with someone, but I'll have to ponder who it was - many moons ago. Tiny Lights and Winter Hours were both around at the time. Sort of folky rock. I liked them and saw them both as well.

I always liked that Warhol quote :D

Led Zeppelin is my fav band and Bob Dylan is my GOD! His lyrics are like a bible to me.

My favourite albums are Highway 61 revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Desire and Nashville Skyline.

Right now I'm listening to Shelter from the Storm :)

Same here, I find it hard to listen to anything else these days. I really love The Freewheelin bob dylan album. One of my favorite songs are masters of war. It has a really erie feel to it, with powerful lyrics.

On Bob's first album in 62' he sang In My Time of Dying. Except, he called it In My Time of Dyin'.

And it's a great version, one of the better tracks on the that record, along with Girl from the North Country. But of all Bob, Visions of Johanna still takes the cake for me.

Edited by Mercurious

Same here, I find it hard to listen to anything else these days. I really love The Freewheelin bob dylan album. One of my favorite songs are masters of war. It has a really erie feel to it, with powerful lyrics.

I love Pearl Jam's version of that song.

:o Wow! how did I miss this thread? Must be starting to have senior moments :rolleyes:

I saw Dylan at the same venue as zep around the same time in Baton Rouge in the 70's

with special guest Joan Baez. They performed a great duo on "it ain't me babe"

Hard to pick my favorites but some are Lay Lady Lay, Tangled Up in Blue, Hurricane, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Jack of Hearts and many more :D

:o Wow! how did I miss this thread? Must be starting to have senior moments :rolleyes:

I saw Dylan at the same venue as zep around the same time in Baton Rouge in the 70's

with special guest Joan Baez. They performed a great duo on "it ain't me babe"

Hard to pick my favorites but some are Lay Lady Lay, Tangled Up in Blue, Hurricane, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Jack of Hearts and many more :D

Lucky you - that must have been amazing to have Joan duet with him. I saw Bob in the 80s with Tom Petty. He refused to play any of his more known songs and I honestly didn't recognize most of what he was playing (don't even know if they were his songs and I'm a big fan).

Even though I'm a big fan I never did see him in concert until the early 90s when he was on tour with Santana. I also had a hard time making out what songs he was playing. Oftentimes he would be halfway through one before I recognized it. His playing was superb but his vocal delivery and the sometimes radical rearrangements of the songs are what threw me off. The next time I saw him (this time with Paul Simon) was a completely different ballgame. I could make out the lyrics distinctly and he was very animated onstage, dancing a jig and even placing a cellphone call to his buddy Elvis Costello at one point. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in concert since the tour for Love & Theft back in the early 00s.

Lucky you - that must have been amazing to have Joan duet with him. I saw Bob in the 80s with Tom Petty. He refused to play any of his more known songs and I honestly didn't recognize most of what he was playing (don't even know if they were his songs and I'm a big fan).

Yes it was great! The tempo was upbeat from his studio recordings and like Jahfin said you don't know which Dylan is going to show up :o

Thankfully the one that you could understand his lyrics showed up that night, maybe Joan threatened him with a quick neutering if he screwed up LOL :lol:

Yes it was great! The tempo was upbeat from his studio recordings and like Jahfin said you don't know which Dylan is going to show up :o

Thankfully the one that you could understand his lyrics showed up that night, maybe Joan threatened him with a quick neutering if he screwed up LOL :lol:

:lol: I know people who saw him with the Grateful Dead said that was an amazing tour but I didn't manage to catch any of the shows.

I was never too big on Joan but when I saw her during a traveling version of the Newport Folk Festival back in the 90s she did an Indigo Girls cover and also broke into her dead on Dylan impersonation at one point that had everyone rolling in the aisles. I've had a newfound respect for her ever since.

As for Dylan and the Dead, the album from that tour has gotten some less than rave reviews but I understand there was actually some pretty standout shows. Also, Silvio came out of that pairing which is one of my favorite Dylan songs. I also need to pick up the album below and have been meaning to for years. One of the many highlights from my first ever Grateful Dead show back in '89 was hearing them break into Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again.

619ZC494MEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I was never too big on Joan but when I saw her during a traveling version of the Newport Folk Festival back in the 90s she did an Indigo Girls cover and also broke into her dead on Dylan impersonation at one point that had everyone rolling in the aisles. I've had a newfound respect for her ever since.

As for Dylan and the Dead, the album from that tour has gotten some less than rave reviews but I understand there was actually some pretty standout shows. Also, Silvio came out of that pairing which is one of my favorite Dylan songs. I also need to pick up the album below and have been meaning to for years. One of the many highlights from my first ever Grateful Dead show back in '89 was hearing them break into Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again.

619ZC494MEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I like some of Joan's songs - I'm sure her impersonation of Dylan was great! I don't have that album either but I've seen the Dead do Dylan songs live quite well.

Here's a link to part five of the interview with Bill Flanagan in which Dylan reveals some of his favorite songwriters as Jimmy Buffett, John Prine and Guy Clark (amongst others). It's very cool to see him citing Buffett since so many seem to be unable to see past their view of him as a writer of novelty songs and as the "Mayor of Margaritaville" when there's so much more to him than that. Dylan performed A Pirate Looks at 40 once but the recording that surfaced from that show was of extremely poor quality. I've also read that Dylan once performed a song by John Prine when he was overseas and took credit for it without knowing Prine himself was in attendance that evening. Also nice to read in this interview that Dylan collaborated with Robert Hunter (of Grateful Dead fame) on some of the songs from his upcoming new album.

Bob Dylan Exclusive Interview: Reveals His Favorite Songwriters, Thoughts On His Own Cult Figure Status