Bob Dylan

DearPrudence

I always liked Dylan and I personally think Blood On The Tracks is one of the finest LP's ever recorded, but I really never really got into him until his Bootleg series started to be issued. The one issued a couple of years ago "Tell Tale Signs" which covered 1989-2006 was just remarkable.

I was always a fan but I had the same experience with his Bootleg collections. It was the first one (Bootlegs Vol. 1-3) that really made me sit up and take notice. Strangely enough, it was around this same time that I also picked up Time Out of Mind. I haven't missed a new release (or Bootleg edition) since then yet I still don't own a lot of his early music. It seems odd to me that so many older people I know that grew up on Dylan have next to no interest in his new material. In that regard, agreed on the Tell Tale Signs installment of the Bootleg series as well as it shows just how strong his latter day work is, especially for one that is comprised of outtakes. That, to me, speaks very highly of the quality of his latter day material since those are songs he left on the cutting room floor.

I might be a minority of one, but I think his music from "Time Out Of Mind" through "Together Through Life" is the best stuff he's ever released. But hey, that's just me.

Can't say it stands up to his early work but I do love his this particular period of his material. That said, I didn't really get into Together Through Life like I did the previous three albums. However, the other day I heard "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" on XM which I liked way more than I remember when that album first came out so maybe it's time to give it another listen.

I'm kind of on the fence re: Bob Dylan. I like a lot of his 60s material, but then I've also found that other artists have covered his songs better than his original. For example, I think Peter, Paul and Mary's version of Blowin' In The Wind is better, and I also think Joe Cocker's version of I Shall Be Released is better. The one exception to that is Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Nothing will touch his version, GnR or Eric Clapton be damned.

I think Dylan is a lot like Townes Van Zandt in that regard, sometimes his work just comes across better in the hands of other artists. For Dylan it would have to be Hendrix taking "Along the Watchtower" into the stratosphere. For Townes, it would be Merle Haggard & Willie Nelson's reading of "Pancho and Lefty". That said, it doesn't lessen my appreciation of Dylan's original versions one iota, it only goes to show how his music has a certain universality to it. One of my favorite covers is this one:

For some reason the original video doesn't exist on YouTube but you can see it here.

Damn, I forgot about All Along The Watchtower. I think that might be the definitive example of someone covering a Bob Dylan tune and doing it better than Dylan could have even imagined.

Of course, that's entirely due to Hendrix's obscene and ungodly talent.

Jack White On Bob Dylan Project

Guitarist picked to record Hank Williams song

jackwhite_20.jpg

By Robin Murray

Jack White has spoken to ClashMusic about working on Bob Dylan's new tribute to Hank Williams.

Even the greats have heroes. For Bob Dylan, country icon Hank Williams remains an inspiration, a well of savage poetry he can draw on when his creative juices begin to run a little dry.

A few years ago the singer came in contact with a folder of lyrics, which Hank Williams had supposedly left behind. The words to a number of unreleased and unrecorded songs, Bob Dylan proposed to inject new life into the lines.

Similar to the 'Mermaid Avenue' project embarked on by Billy Bragg and Wilco, Bob Dylan began inviting artists to take part.

Jack White has previously confirmed his involvement with the project, and recently spoke to ClashMusic about the exact working process behind resurrecting the lost words of Hank Williams.

"I did a project with Bob Dylan: he put together twenty or twenty-five people to finish writing Hank Williams songs that only had lyrics and didn’t have music - it was the opposite of this project. I did this a year beforehand - I had to write music for Hank Williams’ lyrics" he explained.

"I looked through all the piles of lyrics, and one of ’em just kept speaking to me. Sometimes you think it’s gonna be really hard to find my spot, and then it picks it for you. You don’t even have to choose it; it just picks it for you."

As yet, a full release date for the project is unknown. Typically, Bob Dylan has remained cagey about the full cast list, although Jack White accidentally let slip a few names during an interview with MTV News.

"He did one, asked Willie Nelson to do one, asked me to do one, and I think Lucinda Williams and Alan Jackson are on it too" the Nashville based guitarist explained. "I think it might come out this year. It's a cool record.”

For me the real brilliance is in the writing and less in the performance. One could argue that Zep's Traveling Riverside Blues is more appealing than Robert Johnson's recording, but the inspiration came from the writer and not from the cover band.

Robert Johnson was that guy who stood at the crossroads. Story was he sold his soul to the devil to play the blues. But maybe he only sold 1% and kept the other 95% hid.

Dylan's posted a message on his homepage about the controversy surrounding his recent concert in China. Sort of odd that he felt the need to address it but I guess the press reports got out of control in regards to the reality of the situation.

Without reading the message..I just wanted to say I was shocked he actually played his guitar!!

I stopped going to his shows when he just barked and played keyboard. :(

Without reading the message..I just wanted to say I was shocked he actually played his guitar!!

I stopped going to his shows when he just barked and played keyboard. :(

I've only seen him in concert three times but I'm glad I saw him when I did. From some of the reports I've heard from friends I'm not so sure I would want to see one of his current concerts. Then again, with Dylan you really never know. Apparently some nights he's on and on others he's very off. The Grateful Dead and other bands have the same reputation but I had pretty good luck with the four shows I attended of theirs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"You were young in the 50′s and 60′s, everything felt false everywhere you turned. But you didn’t know how to say it. There was no language for it at the time. It just felt fucked up, you know? But you didn’t have the words. Bob [Dylan] came along and gave us those words… And the first thing he asked you was, 'How does it feel? To be on your own?' And if you were a kid in 1965, you were on your own, because your parents - God bless ‘em - they could not understand the incredible changes that were taking place." Bruce Springsteen, SXSW Austin, Texas, March 15, 2012.

"You were young in the 50′s and 60′s, everything felt false everywhere you turned. But you didn’t know how to say it. There was no language for it at the time. It just felt fucked up, you know? But you didn’t have the words. Bob [Dylan] came along and gave us those words… And the first thing he asked you was, 'How does it feel? To be on your own?' And if you were a kid in 1965, you were on your own, because your parents - God bless ‘em - they could not understand the incredible changes that were taking place." Bruce Springsteen, SXSW Austin, Texas, March 15, 2012.

Thanks for that (especially in light of this discussion), I haven't had time to watch it yet but for those that are interested in doing so, you can watch Springsteen's keynote address from SXSW here.

Thanks for that (especially in light of this discussion), I haven't had time to watch it yet but for those that are interested in doing so, you can watch Springsteen's keynote address from SXSW here.

You're welcome. It was not only the best SXSW keynote I've ever heard, but also the best speech I've ever heard about music. Bruce is a troubadour. The images and feelings he evoked were remarkable. The most moving part for me was when he talked about Woody and the audience sang "This Land is your Land" along with Bruce.

You're welcome. It was not only the best SXSW keynote I've ever heard, but also the best speech I've ever heard about music. Bruce is a troubadour. The images and feelings he evoked were remarkable. The most moving part for me was when he talked about Woody and the audience sang "This Land is your Land" along with Bruce.

Thanks again. I would have loved to have been at SXSW this year for lots of reasons but a couple would have been to see the dB's and the Big Star Third/Sister Lovers concerts. A few more would have been to see Tommy Stinson as well as Alejandro Escovedo's annual blowout at the Continental Club (which took place last night). On the Woody Guthrie tip, he would have been 100 this year so it's very fitting that Bruce tipped his hat to him. In celebration of what would have been Woody's 100th birthday there's a couple of very significant being released this year; New Multitudes (which is already out) as well as the Mermaid Avenue box set (which comes out on Record Store Day, 4.21.12.). I've never been much of a Bruce fan but it doesn't mean I don't have a lot of respect for the guy. I really enjoyed his speech when he inducted U2 into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and from what I understand, his keynote address at SXSW was apparently right up there with it. As I type, my Facebook feed is full of lots of praise for Springsteen who is playing in Greensboro tonight.

• 2 months later...

Happy Belated Birthday Bob Dylan......I only came to appreciate Bob Dylan in the last year thanks to a friend. Well, I love good lyricists so clearly I missed the boat, big time! This is an interesting alt. version of Tangled Up in Blue. Not sure if this is available in his extensive back catalog but sure wouldn't mind having this one on vinyl. :) Missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZhwyrUvV_s