Bob Dylan

DearPrudence

In the 80s I was given a mint copy of Live at Budokhan, which had not for resale promo only stamped on it. I gave it to my mate as he was a huge Dylan fan, he was impressed. So much so that when I lent him my Ummagumma, he never reurned it.

Frighteningly enough, my FIRST Dylan album. And I LOVED it! It is heavily disparaged in most Dylan circles. Only later would I discover Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde, and the amazing Bootleg Series.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone genuinely confused as to WHY critics continually call Highway 61 Revisited Dylan's magnum opus? I like the album, but it's not entirely full of excellent songs, and it's just not as entertaining in general..but again, that's just my opinion...Dylan's masterpiece is undoubtedly Blonde On Blonde though. Both Bringing It All Back Home and Blood On The Tracks are very closer runner-ups, I don't think their is a bad song within any of those three albums...

Blonde On Blonde, Bringing It All Home, Blood On the Tracks, and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and surprisingly, Slow Train Coming round out my top five.

Only recently began listening to Bob Dylan via You/Tube and haven't ordered anything yet from his massive backlog. The one Bob Dylan album I do own and bought in the 70's was Slow Train Coming as they were playing a lot of it on FM radio at the time.

I'm excited about a book I ordered yesterday with all his lyrics (1962-2001) and will probably get my next Bob D. CD based on that. Might be considered a bit weird, but I'm a lyrics person. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f8NExi_ybQ&feature=fvwrel

Edited by missytootsweet

Might be considered a weird, but I'm a lyrics person. :)

You are not alone..lyrics pretty much make or break an artist for me, unless the music is just so good that the lyrics don't matter..

That's really why I can't stand bands like Radiohead, or the like..they seem to have little to no lyrical depth, and the music is almost completely electronic.

Edited by thezepguy

You are not alone..lyrics pretty much make or break an artist for me, unless the music is just so good that the lyrics don't matter..

That's really why I can't stand bands like Radiohead, or the like..they seem to have little to no lyrical depth, and the music is almost completely electronic.

Are you being serious, Radiohead have brilliant lyrics, which tracks have you been listening to????? Obviously not the same as I listen to.

Are you being serious, Radiohead have brilliant lyrics, which tracks have you been listening to????? Obviously not the same as I listen to.

Tried listening to OK Computer, songs like "Paranoid Android", the lyrics are meaningless and highly unrelatable..

Tried listening to OK Computer, songs like "Paranoid Android", the lyrics are meaningless and highly unrelatable..

Never mind, those with ears will hear. Erm have you ever seen a radiohead concert they do use electronics but they ALL play instruments on stage. Try listening to the lyrics to Creep, it's from their first album.By the way how many of their albums have you heard to cast them off so assuredly, obviously not many as most of them are guitar driven, you know a guitar? usually has 4,6,or 12 strings and hang from the shoulder, and yes they are electric, so I suppose you were close with electronic, but no banana !!!

Bon Jovi is a singer that girls like I personally think he's shit, Springsteen...... I only like The Ghost Of Tom Joad album.

That was the joke..

I don't like either of those artists either.

I own all of Radiohead's albums..but, I just can't get into them. Too much repetition.

Edited by thezepguy

That was the joke..

I own all of Radiohead's albums..but, I just can't get into them. Too much repetition.

That was the joke..

Give Pablo Honey another listen, it's worth it. I think it gets better with age.

That was the joke..

You don't like them, but you bought all their albums - (yet only named "Ok Computer" as something you had LISTENED to ) ,and you think their music is all "electronic" with no lyrical depth?

Ok right. :sos:

Edited by Knebby

Cool, this thread had evolved into Sgt. Dylan's paranoid android teatime discussion club band.

Thus far to deep and meaningful use of subforums.

What's next,

Stop Making Sense once you are a Talking Head?

(Sarcasm off)

Edited by reswati

You don't like them, but you bought all their albums - (yet only named "Ok Computer" as something you had LISTENED to ) ,and you think their music is all "electronic" with no lyrical depth?

Ok right. :sos:

My suspicions of him being a troll prove more founded with every post...I just had a look at some of the crap he posted and attacked you with in the US Welfare thread. RH owes me an apology.

Don't feed the trolls.

That was the joke..

You're either trolling or just not very intelligent. Pablo Honey is pretty much Brit pop, OK Computer I guess you could consider Alternative. Then you have albums like Kid A and Amnesiac which are electronica. Radiohead may be many things but repetitious is not one of them.

You're either trolling or just not very intelligent. Pablo Honey is pretty much Brit pop, OK Computer I guess you could consider Alternative. Then you have albums like Kid A and Amnesiac which are electronica. Radiohead may be many things but repetitious is not one of them.

I did not mean their albums, I ment their songs. Each song just repeats the same "riff" (If you can call it that), and lyrics over and over for about four minutes.

I didn't say I've only listened to OK Computer..

Also, you don't buy/own albums from bands you aren't that big of a fan of? That's strange..

Only recently began listening to Bob Dylan via You/Tube and haven't ordered anything yet from his massive backlog. The one Bob Dylan album I do own and bought in the 70's was Slow Train Coming as they were playing a lot of it on FM radio at the time.

I'm excited about a book I ordered yesterday with all his lyrics (1962-2001) and will probably get my next Bob D. CD based on that. Might be considered a bit weird, but I'm a lyrics person. :)

Time Out of Mind is very good. Really, check out the compilations. Biograph probably spent a year in my car, it is just amazing. The Bootleg Series (Vol 1-3) is also incredible!

Highway 61 is superb, Blonde on Blonde, etc etc!

Would be shorter to give you the "don't get" list! Good luck.

Edited by in_the_evening

Don't get Dylan- Dylan he does covers of various songs it is absolute fucking crap, you should hear the mess he makes of I can't help falling in love with you. It's laughable, he is so out of tune. When I first bought it years and years ago I thought it was a spoof album but apparently not.

Joe, you are talking through through your backside. There's nothing out of tune about Bob at all he has his own style and he's pitch perfect within his vocal range.