Cover songs you like more than the originals

Plenty of great covers out there post some you like more than the original version of them.

Black Sabbath's cover of "Evil Woman" originally by Crow. Thought I would like the cover of "Warning" more than the original by Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation (before listening to it) but such was not the case it's really good. BTW there's a cool version of "Blue Suede Shoes" played in their early years.

Blue Cheer's cover of "Rock Me Baby" by B.B. King and "Parchment Farm" by Mose Allison originally titled "Parchman Farm."

Levon Helm's cover of "Tennessee Jed" by the Grateful Dead.

Townes Van Zandt's cover of "Nine Pound Hammer" by Merle Travis.

Found a similar thread like this but that was of good covers thought this was different enough.

Three Dog Night covered Hoyt Axton songs really well, especially

and

Joy to the World

note that "Three Dog Night's version (of Joy to the World) went to number one on the pop music charts in February 1971 and was the top single of the year in Billboard

Magazine for 1971. "It probably would have been #2 had Led Zeppelin released Stairway to Heaven as a single" B)

Frijid Pink's "House of the Rising Sun" is a radical reworking of a traditional song in the mid/late '60s tradition of psychedelicizing folk songs. I was impressed when I heard it come on to my Pandora station. The station was based on visceral psychedelic, blues-based work, and it really pulled through for introducing me to this song.

Then the classic covers come to mind: "Crossroads" by Cream; "All Along the Watchtower" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience; "Statesboro Blues" by the Allman Brothers Band. The versions that I have in mind for all three are live, which make them all the better. You could count on a decent live cover back in the day.

With A Little Help From My Friends & I Shall Be Released - Joe Cocker (Beatles, Bob Dylan)

The End of the World - Brenda Lee (Skeeter Davis)

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? - Al Green (The Bee Gees)

Baby, I Love You - Andy Kim (The Ronettes)

All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)

Blinded By The Light - Mannfred Mann (Bruce Springsteen)

Open Arms, I'll Be There, I Still Believe - Mariah Carey (Journey, The Jackson 5, Brenda K. Starr)

Whiter Shade of Pale - Sarah Brightman (Procol Harem)

Guns n Roses doing Live and Let Die

Sabbath doing blue suede shoes is definitely a classic.

Zeppelin doing Money, That's what I want.(sorry, not sure of the title)

skynyrd doing T for Texas

Type O Negative doing the song Black Sabbath - puts a chill up my spine every time I hear it.

Dolly doing Stairway - JUST KIDDING

Vanilla Fudge doing the Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On.

Money was originally the first Motown hit song by Barrett Strong.

But Zeppelin's best cover for me is Long Tall Sally. Little Richard did that one first but a bunch of other people covered it also.

Eric Clapton's I Shot the Sheriff originally Bob Marley

GNR Knockin' on Heaven's Door(Bob Dylan)

Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover of JJ Cale's They Call Me the Breeze.

Aretha's cover of Otis Redding's Respect

There are very few covers that top the originals IMHO. I must say I disagree with a lot of those mentioned above. However, there are some covers that are equal to the originals, among them mentioned are Joe Cockers With a little help from my friends and Blue Cheers Rock me baby.

Archived