Cover songs you like more than the originals

Grand Funk's version of "Locomotion"

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Kashmir as performed by The Dixie Dregs.

Really? I mean, seriously?

Better than the original?

:facepalm:

A couple for me:

You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) covered by Dope

Hurdy Gurdy Man covered by Butthole Surfers

Physical covered by NIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV7EMl2Px2Q

NIN also does an incredible cover of Queen's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdqxa1op4o, but it's not better than the original.

Different, VERY very good, but not better.

Black Betty covered by RamJam, with a nod to Ministry's cover on Cover Up.

Hanson - "Change in my Life", originally by Rockapella. (I was at this show and they sounded absolutely amazinggg, I almost started crying lol)

And yet another cover done by Hanson lol, "Teach Your Children", originally by CSNY. (I love CSNY but I just prefer how Hanson did this song. Actually, I was really big on CSNY at the time I discovered Hanson and seeing them perform this cover is actually one of the reasons I became hooked on them :))

Ok, I'm not going to go as far as to say this is better than the original but I think they do a damn fine job of covering it. "Oh! Darling"

Alright, alright, I'm done spamming the boards with Hanson...for now :)

1. Remember the topic title is "Cover songs you like more than the originals". It's NOT "List all the cover songs you know".

2. I think in some(many) cases, Three Dog Night performed the original version of a song that was yet to be released by the writer OR the original version had extremely limited exposure. The band may have written 1 out of every 100 songs they recorded.

3. I am not a fan of this topic.

Frijid Pink's "House of the Rising Sun" is a radical reworking of a traditional song in the mid/late '60s tradition of psychedelicizing folk songs. I was impressed when I heard it come on to my Pandora station. The station was based on visceral psychedelic, blues-based work, and it really pulled through for introducing me to this song.

Then the classic covers come to mind: "Crossroads" by Cream; "All Along the Watchtower" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience; "Statesboro Blues" by the Allman Brothers Band. The versions that I have in mind for all three are live, which make them all the better. You could count on a decent live cover back in the day.

When I was a kid, Frijid Pink played a place in suburban Detroit called "The Trading Post" for almost two years straight. That song and this cover .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JWHAtS-TDY.....were my intro to heavy metal. Appice's influence on early Bonham is so easy to see in that video.

Smooth Criminal as covered by Alien Ant Farm

It's a very accurate cover, and a lot chunkier than the original.

I really love the video as well, with all the nods to various MJ video effects and scenes.

Love Mott The Hoople's cover of the Youngbloods Darkness, Darkness but don't think I can say it's better than the original. The Dolls cover of Pills was freakin' great, quite a bit different than Bo Didley's song but absolutely perfect for the NYD. The Ramones cover of Needles And Pins was genius too.

• 1 month later...

I did not realize "Make You Feel My Love" was a Bob Dylan song; I'd never heard his before, until just now; I'd only heard Adele's. To me his version sounds, erm, a bit rough, to put it nicely, and I think hers is absolutely lovely. The song seems to be made for her.

Hers:

Couldn't find a you tube of his; just audio:

Make You Feel My Love-Bob Dylan

Hurt - Johnny Cash (orig. Nine Inch Nails)

Call Me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd (orig. JJ Cale)

Cocaine - Eric Clapton (orig. JJ Cale)

Heard It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye (orig. Smokey Robinson...hehe, had to give my man Marvin a shout-out...I like the Gladys Knight version, and CCR's too, but this one's still my fave)

Backdoor Man - The Doors (orig. Howlin' Wolf)

Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds (orig. Bob Dylan)

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (orig. David Bowie)

You know which one I can never decide on? I Shot the Sheriff. Bob Marley's singing is way better, but I really like the kinda sexier beat that Clapton's version has.

Oh, and if anyone says Aerosmith's version of Come Together is better, I will cream them. Usually I would never say something like that because I respect people's opinions, but gah, whenever this song comes on the radio I have to punch the button with ninja-like speed so I don't fly into a rage and crash the car. I h-h-h-ate it.

• 1 month later...

Guitar Man and US Male are cover songs better than the originals although it helps that the writer and performer of the orginals (Jerry Reed......'Snowman' from Smokey and the Bandit)helped to arrange and actually plays his unique finger picking guitar on the Elvis versions.

Call Me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd (orig. JJ Cale)

Footsteps, have you heard the Spiritualized cover of that song, "Run"? It's the shiz. But then again, our tastes are probably different - I thought Aerosmith did a really good job on "Come Together"! Not better than the Beatles, but they brought something different to the party. They put their own style on it (or their own stink on it, since you don't like it).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived