Best Album of 2007?

Timboh56

I just happen to pull it off.

You sneaky little bastard.

SW is Deerhunter.

Deerhunter doesn't sound anything like Strawberry Wine.

BTW: I want a set agreement that we're posting our lists on Jan 1st.

Is this an agreement with me and me alone, or with the entire board?

I'm pretty sure anybody in their right mind would not be able to tell the difference from Deerhunter and Strawberry Wine.

But If I had a chance to rephrase my comment on SW I would say:

The Jesus & Mary Chain + The Smiths + Deerhunter = Strawberry Wine

I don't know how someone wouldn't be able to differentiate the two. I have the Ecstasy and Wine compilation, which is made up of the Ecstasy and Strawberry Wine EPs, and while some of that material does lean towards The Jesus and Mary Chain's sound, songs like "Strawberry Wine" are jangly 60s-pop influenced tunes. I hear the Byrds, not Deerhunter. Deerhunter hover around sloppy noise rock and occasionally touch on psychedelic rock, but it's hardly as melodic and straightforward as MBV on those recordings.

The whole board.

Well I'm with you, but good luck pulling that off.

This year? I have doubts it will be out by next year.

C'mon, be positive here! Shields said it could be out by the end of the year.

They could pull a Radiohead. Or, perhaps they could pull a MBV and we'll get the album in 2020. I like option number #1.

This thread doesn't seem to be very lively (another tell tale sign of how slow this board's Other Music forum is) so I'm going to risk a thread jack to talk more of MBV.

I've only Isn't Anything and Loveless and have never heard any of their EPs - which is the next I should get?

C'mon, be positive here! Shields said it could be out by the end of the year.

They could pull a Radiohead. Or, perhaps they could pull a MBV and we'll get the album in 2020. I like option number #1.

Ha. Alright, you can be the optimist. It's just, given that he's been making promises about delivering a new album for years, and that he said almost the exact same thing in interviews he did around 1997 ("If I don't have a record out by the end of next year, I'm dead"), I'm not going to completely believe anything until I see some evidence.

If this does turn out to be real and he does release an album, honestly I have mixed feelings. The band reuniting to tour is one thing, but I am skeptical on how good the new material will be. At this point, 16 years later, a part of me almost wishes they would just leave it alone. I get the feeling that this will be like almost every other "new" album from an "old" artist to come out these days: they're all essentially a shotty rehash of what was once their most recognizable strength at their career highpoint, but really no substance beneath the attempt.

Of course it could turn out great. And I'll certainly be anxious to give it a listen. But that's my fear.

This thread doesn't seem to be very lively (another tell tale sign of how slow this board's Other Music forum is) so I'm going to risk a thread jack to talk more of MBV.

I've only Isn't Anything and Loveless and have never heard any of their EPs - which is the next I should get?

My vote is for Tremolo. It's a sort of companion piece to Loveless, and it has some fantastic songs on it.

Don't get me wrong, the Glider EP and the Ecstasy and Wine compilation are worth getting as well. But Tremolo should be next.

great choices, wouldn't expect less from the official zeppelin forum.

i'd have to go with:

-Radiohead-In Rainbows

-The Horrors-Strange House

-M.I.A.-Kala

-Ministry-The Last sucker

-Arctic monkeys-Favourite worst nightmare

-Daft Punk-Alive 2007

-INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack

i agree, can't wait for the new My Bloody Valentine album!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived