page and his gestapo boots chicago 75

Steve, you are thinking of their concert in Chicago on April Sunday 1977. He wore the boots with the jodhpurs and hat that night, however he wore the same boots (or strikingly similar) onstange in Oakland 1977. I've posted photos in the photo forum but I don't think there is any film footage in circulaton. He wore similar if not the same pair of boots while touring Germany with The Firm in December 1984. It was during this time he became fond of wearing a brown bomber jacket with them offstage.

Steve, you are thinking of their concert in Chicago on April Sunday 1977. He wore the boots with the jodhpurs and hat that night, however he wore the same boots (or strikingly similar) onstange in Oakland 1977. I've posted photos in the photo forum but I don't think there is any film footage in circulaton.

I have about 4 mins of footage purporting to be from the 10.4.77 Chicago 'stormtrooper' show (and 18 mins from 9.4.77), although JP can later be seen wearing a white cowboy hat. This was released on the 10th disc of the 'Great Chicago Fire' Empress Valley set.

Can't remember where I found it, but it's out there somewhere. It wasn't hard to find. In fact, I wasn't even looking for it...

There is definitely Super 8 film footage of the infamous final night in Chicago 1977. It was shot from 18 rows back in the raised box seat section. My friend and I had snuck in the movie camera, but I let him shoot the film as I didn't want to miss any of the show messing around with cameras.

I have about 4 mins of footage purporting to be from the 10.4.77 Chicago 'stormtrooper' show (and 18 mins from 9.4.77), although JP can later be seen wearing a white cowboy hat. This was released on the 10th disc of the 'Great Chicago Fire' Empress Valley set.

Can't remember where I found it, but it's out there somewhere. It wasn't hard to find. In fact, I wasn't even looking for it...

Fair enough, and yes he did wear a white fedora onstage later that same night. David Zoso once proposed an interesting theory, that Jimmy's stage attire that night was a homage to gangsters. Chicago does have a colorful history when it comes to gangsters, and Warner Brothers were reknowned for gangster films in the 40s. It's an interesting though wholly unsubstantiated theory. I believe a member of the road crew said it came about merely because the white dragon suit was being cleaned.

I believe a member of the road crew said it came about merely because the white dragon suit was being cleaned.

If I remember a roadie's testimony correctly, the white dragon suit smelled terrible after a while and would often still be damp from Page's sweat the following day.

If I remember a roadie's testimony correctly, the white dragon suit smelled terrible after a while and would often still be damp from Page's sweat the following day.

THE white dragon suit? You mean he only had ONE???

Ewwwww..........:(

Come on. Page wore that attire consciously and intentionally for it's shock effect. It obviously worked. Don't blame it on the dry cleaners. Having seen this show firsthand, Jimmy ended up in the white satin outfit for the latter part of the show.

Come on. Page wore that attire consciously and intentionally for it's shock effect. It obviously worked. Don't blame it on the dry cleaners. Having seen this show firsthand, Jimmy ended up in the white satin outfit for the latter part of the show.

The 4.23min video referred to above - yours probably, Chicago? - shows he was still in the kinky leather fetish gear until Kashmir, and had changed into his slinky white negligee by the time he played his 'noise' solo. So he must have popped out to the dry cleaners during Over The Top.

I happened to catch the music video for The Firm's "Radioactive" this morning on VH-1 Classic. Page not only wears the storm trooper boots in the video, he also wears white flight trousers and the silky black shirt with pink flowers often discussed in other threads on this board in the past. I believe he wore the shirt in LA 75? I'm sure one of you knuckleheads will confirm. ;)

Edited to Add: He also plays the double neck in the music video so it was actually very interesting, almost as if he was blatantly channeling his ol' Zeppelin self.

Steve, you are thinking of their concert in Chicago on April Sunday 1977. He wore the boots with the jodhpurs and hat that night, however he wore the same boots (or strikingly similar) onstange in Oakland 1977. I've posted photos in the photo forum but I don't think there is any film footage in circulaton. He wore similar if not the same pair of boots while touring Germany with The Firm in December 1984. It was during this time he became fond of wearing a brown bomber jacket with them offstage.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE STEVE,IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HAVE THAT MOMENT ON VIDEO,APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP-smile.gif

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE STEVE,IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HAVE THAT MOMENT ON VIDEO,APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP-smile.gif

Well, I'd like to have the boots. biggrin.gif

Keith Richards presented the boots he wore onstage night after night on the Steel Wheels tour to the late Bill Graham. Unfortunately, they were among countless irreplaceable items destroyed when arsonists burned down Bill Graham Productions in San Francisco. I thought I'd mention it here because it ties everything all together: rock n' roll, boots, the gestapo, anti-Semitism. I'm so clever.

Well, I'd like to have the boots. biggrin.gif

Keith Richards presented the boots he wore onstage night after night on the Steel Wheels tour to the late Bill Graham. Unfortunately, they were among countless irreplaceable items destroyed when arsonists burned down Bill Graham Productions in San Francisco. I thought I'd mention it here because it ties everything all together: rock n' roll, boots, the gestapo, anti-Semitism. I'm so clever.

I read (many years ago, somewhere) that Page said that he was an artist and that he would also have a Japanese flag and Confederate Flag on stage. Going from memory here, and no, don't remember the source. (Hit Parade or Cream?). Let me know if I'm wrong.

I read (many years ago, somewhere) that Page said that he was an artist and that he would also have a Japanese flag and Confederate Flag on stage. Going from memory here, and no, don't remember the source. (Hit Parade or Cream?). Let me know if I'm wrong.

It is true he has said something along the lines of he was making an artistic statement, one intended to shock, however I'm not aware of him ever displaying those flags onstage, though he did play a bit of the Southern anthem Dixie during his extended guitar solo on the '77 tour.

Well, I'd like to have the boots.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not as clever as you think. If you're insinuating Page was being anti-semitic because of his wardrobe selection that infamous evening, then you'd have to agree he was being anti-Christian because it was Easter Sunday.

Well, I'd like to have the boots.

Not as clever as you think. If you're insinuating Page was being anti-semitic because of his wardrobe selection that infamous evening, then you'd have to agree he was being anti-Christian because it was Easter Sunday.

I wouldn't doubt that Jimmy's sense of humor could include both references.

*fixed your post by the way.

Steve: I wish I had the source, but I believe Jimmy was referring to the night in Chicago (he would want those flags etc). There was also a big deal about it. Along the lines of "Jimmy wears Nazi Uniform onstage" and the sort. My sister was at the concert, and she was much older than me at the time.

Steve i just downloaded some footage of the chicago april 10th,1977 show,its an audience recording and it is actually not that bad,like you said its shows him at first wearing the boots and hat,and the latter part of the show he changes into a white satin suit and then shows him wearing a white hat,its awesome footage,i can send it to you on a cd or direct download if possible,its 43.6 mb's in size uncompressed,the actual source is from empress valley 9 disc set called " GREAT CHICAGO FIRE"1977 APRIL 6TH,7TH,9TH,AND 10TH,ok let me know how you want me to send it,steve

hey tripmender ,i found the footage thanks for your help and to everyones input on the topic,thank you-hats off

Archived