Christians hauled to jail for preaching Jesus

BIGDAN

Dan, I live here and honestly this is the first i've heard of it.

I would think if it were a big deal, it would've made the local news.

It's true that Dearborn has the largest population of Arabs in the US, but many are

Chaldean, who are of the Christian faith.

I'm sorry but it sounds like another right wing spin of nothing.

Dan, I live here and honestly this is the first i've heard of it.

I would think if it were a big deal, it would've made the local news.

It's true that Dearborn has the largest population of Arabs in the US, but many are

Chaldean, who are of the Christian faith.

I'm sorry but it sounds like another right wing spin of nothing.

Hi 'danelectro59'

Thanks for the info mate, but my concern was more about the way the White Police are treating the Christian Missionaries, although i can see that they would do this in regards to stopping any trouble that might occur, but that didn't seem to be the case did it?

Regards, Danny

Hi 'danelectro59'

Thanks for the info mate, but my concern was more about the way the White Police are treating the Christian Missionaries, although i can see that they would do this in regards to stopping any trouble that might occur, but that didn't seem to be the case sis it?

Regards, Danny

Hey Dan

Like I said, this is the first i've heard, so i'm not sure.

There has always been clashes between Christians and Muslims dating back a dozen centuries. I'm sure something happened, but it was probably an isolated incident.

AFAIK, there is no conspiricy to wipe out Christianity in Dearborn or Michigan or the US.

Hey Dan

Like I said, this is the first i've heard, so i'm not sure.

There has always been clashes between Christians and Muslims dating back a dozen centuries. I'm sure something happened, but it was probably an isolated incident.

AFAIK, there is no conspiricy to wipe out Christianity in Dearborn or Michigan or the US.

Yea you're right 'danelectro59' sounds like a minor incident, but this thing about Clashes between Muzzies and Man On A Stick Worshipers, well you got me there, was the Isolated Incident you're talk about the Crusades by any chance? ;)

Regards, Danny

The mayor of Dearborn is trolling for votes. It's shameless but that's what caused this, good old fashioned political calculation.

What he doesn't realize is once the Mulsim population there reaches an overwhelming majority it won't matter what nonsense he tries to pull. The "infidel" will never be welcomed then. If the idiot thinks otherwise then he should read up on history.

Let's try another source....http://www.freep.com/article/20100620/NEWS02/6200421/Missionaries-arrested-at-Arab-festival-in-Dearborn

Four Christian missionaries trying to convert Muslims were arrested and jailed Friday for disorderly conduct at an Arab festival in Dearborn, police said.

"We did make four arrests for disorderly conduct," Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad said Saturday. "They did cause a stir."

Nabeel Qureshi of Virginia and David Wood of New York, both with a Christian group called Acts 17 Apologetics, were arrested with two others after they were said to be causing disruptive behavior, police said.

The four, who were at the Dearborn Arab International Festival, were later released on bail.

Qureshi described the arrest on the Acts 17 blog at www.answeringmuslims.com.

Reached by phone Saturday, Qureshi refused to comment. Wood could not be reached for comment; e-mails sent to him earlier were not returned.

Qureshi, a recent convert to Christianity, caused controversy last year after he and another one of the men arrested Friday produced a video posted on YouTube that shows them getting into a dispute with people and security at last year's festival.

Haddad said that he's not taking sides in any dispute, but added that police have to keep the peace at a festival that draws 300,000 over three days.

"Everyone's space should be respected," Haddad said. "It's Father's Day weekend. ... People are here to have a good time, and it's our job to ensure security."

The Free Press reported last year on the growing number of evangelical Christians targeting Dearborn to convert Muslims.

Contact NIRAJ WARIKOO: 313-223-4792 or nwarikoo@freepress.com

Yea you're right 'danelectro59' sounds like a minor incident, but this thing about Clashes between Muzzies and Man On A Stick Worshipers, well you got me there, was the Isolated Incident you're talk about the Crusades by any chance? ;)

Regards, Danny

Those very ones! :duel::D

Biq question is which one is your favorite.

Mine is III. Always had a soft spot for Richard the Lionheart.

Word on the street is, although English he spoke French. Zat true? :unsure:

Why can't Christians just leave the rest of us in peace? I do object strongly to the seizure of video cameras. And I really am concerned that civil rights may have been violated. But I don't care if it's Christians, Muslims, Jews, or the rest of us.

Those very ones! :duel::D

Biq question is which one is your favorite.

Mine is III. Always had a soft spot for Richard the Lionheart.

Word on the street is, although English he spoke French. Zat true? :unsure:

Hi 'danelectro59'

I have a love of Richard III as well.

The Street is quite right, Richard the Lionheart was the son of Henry II, who came from France, Anjou in Fact, and spoke French as his Native Language. Although Richard I was born in England it is quite another thing to call him English, he Spoke French also, he also had William the Conqueror as a Great Great Grandfather.

Regards, Danny

That's an interesting story with many emotions at play. Reading the responses by various posters made me laugh as it usually does, let's just lump ALL religions as a threat to civilization as one person said.

All religions aren't a threat at all, but historically......one is. When I read that a muslim majority nation allows other places of worship and allows their minority believers to attend without threat of persecution or worse, get back to me on that. When a woman can walk down the street in a muslim nation with total equality and equal citizenship to men, get back to me on that too. Jordan comes closest to both criteria I mentioned but they still fall short.

Until then, Islam defines "intolerance".

Islam, Judaism, Christianity............................

All three are soaked in blood and continue to be to this day.

Would love to see a world without them or at the very least, one where they stay between a person and themselves.

JMHO folks, don't anyone get mad.

Let's try another source....http://www.freep.com/article/20100620/NEWS02/6200421/Missionaries-arrested-at-Arab-festival-in-Dearborn

Four Christian missionaries trying to convert Muslims were arrested and jailed Friday for disorderly conduct at an Arab festival in Dearborn, police said.

"We did make four arrests for disorderly conduct," Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad said Saturday. "They did cause a stir."

Nabeel Qureshi of Virginia and David Wood of New York, both with a Christian group called Acts 17 Apologetics, were arrested with two others after they were said to be causing disruptive behavior, police said.

The four, who were at the Dearborn Arab International Festival, were later released on bail.

Qureshi described the arrest on the Acts 17 blog at www.answeringmuslims.com.

Reached by phone Saturday, Qureshi refused to comment. Wood could not be reached for comment; e-mails sent to him earlier were not returned.

Qureshi, a recent convert to Christianity, caused controversy last year after he and another one of the men arrested Friday produced a video posted on YouTube that shows them getting into a dispute with people and security at last year's festival.

Haddad said that he's not taking sides in any dispute, but added that police have to keep the peace at a festival that draws 300,000 over three days.

"Everyone's space should be respected," Haddad said. "It's Father's Day weekend. ... People are here to have a good time, and it's our job to ensure security."

The Free Press reported last year on the growing number of evangelical Christians targeting Dearborn to convert Muslims.

Contact NIRAJ WARIKOO: 313-223-4792 or nwarikoo@freepress.com

Ah yes, another source... thanks. It's amazing what one can learn if one takes an extra minute or two to check things out a bit more. A google search on the group "Acts 17 Apologetics" is rather interesting. There are a lot of blogs expressing outrage along the lines of the WND 'report' of the event, and there are some expressing the opposite. I did find a couple (IMO)great ones by folks with an evangelical christian apologist stance that explained why they thought the ACTS 17 folks were wrong, and some even questioned their motives without calling them loonytunes.

But... it's not nearly as interesting as the ones proclaiming persecution.

Facts don't really matter, and they sure can be inconvenient sometimes.

Kind regards, Lakey B)

Islam, Judaism, Christianity............................

All three are soaked in blood and continue to be to this day.

Would love to see a world without them or at the very least, one where they stay between a person and themselves.

JMHO folks, don't anyone get mad.

My thoughts exactly. The three things that have started most wars are land, money or religion. That's one of the reasons i'm a non-believer. I don't rail against anyone that does, but get annoyed when someone tries to convert me.

My thoughts exactly. The three things that have started most wars are land, money or religion. That's one of the reasons i'm a non-believer. I don't rail against anyone that does, but get annoyed when someone tries to convert me.

I'd consider myself an apathetic agnostic. I don't know if there's a God and I don't really care either. Take that for what it's worth. I have no problems with religious people, because the decision to believe or not believe is a personal one, and no one should be judged for either choice. I don't like it when people try to convert me though, especially after I've already stated to them that I'm not interested. So I agree with you there.

What I do feel is that too many people use religion as a reason to treat people horribly, all because that particular religion says they should. I think if Western religions were treated more like Eastern religions, maybe some of these issues people have would go away. I've never heard of Buddhist extremists or Hindu fundamentalists.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100804/METRO01/8040375/1408/local

Gingrich defends 4 arrested trying to convert Muslims to Christianity

The four tried to convert Muslims to Christianity at festival

Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich is defending the actions of four Christian missionaries arrested in June in Dearborn as they tried to convert Muslims to Christianity during the Arab International Festival.

The four -- Negeen Mayel, 18, of California; Nabeel Qureshi, 29, of Virginia; Paul Rezkalla, 18, of New York; and David Wood, 34, also of New York -- were arrested June 18 in Dearborn. They were arraigned July 12 on fines of up to $500 each and up to 93 days in jail.

Dearborn police said July 12 that the four self-described missionaries "chose to escalate their behavior, which appeared well-orchestrated and deliberate" as they handed out religious literature and talked with people at the festival. The woman and three men are members or founders of a group called "Acts 17 Apologetics."

In a July 28 e-newsletter, Gingrich defended the four.

"They were ... on a public street outside an Arab festival in a way that is completely permissible by law, but, of course, forbidden by sharia's rules on proselytizing," said Gingrich, a Republican, referring to the missionaries passing out literature. "This is a clear case of freedom of speech and the exercise of religious freedom being sacrificed in deference to sharia's intolerance against the preaching of religions other than Islam."

Sharia law is a set of religious laws based on the Islamic Holy Book, the Quran.

"Cases like this will become all the more common as radical Islamists grow more and more aggressive in the United States," Gingrich wrote about the missionaries' case and others pointed out in the newsletter. :lol::hysterical::lol:

The missionaries are due back in court Aug. 30.

bwilliams@detnews.com (313) 222-2027 Detroit News Staff Writer Steve Pardo contributed.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100804/METRO01/8040375/1408/local#ixzz0vfH5pxQM

Archived