Tour of Europe Poster

i used to have two of these that i sent off for at the time the tour was on which was my first real purchase of buying zepp paraphenalia. i bought one to go on the wall and one for safekeeping. the one on the wall got wrecked from teenage misuse

if only i had actually kept the other one safe. i think it got lost in a house move many years ago. bugger!

I seem to recall a half-dozen or so in mint condition were found in an old foot locker following Peter Grant's death and auctioned off. Somewhere in my notes I have the name and date of the original publication from which the air raid warden photograph was taken.

i have an over europe 80 badge that i bought at the same time as the tour posters back at the time from the adverts in the back of the music press. i'll see if i can get a picture of it on here as i'd like to know if its a real thing or just a cash in. i suspect the latter but i dont thnk i've seen many pictures of the over 80 official tour merchandise, except for the tight but loose tour issue which is a bit out the way for digging out right now, to check

I contacted Rick Barrett, the expert on Led Zeppelin merchandise about the posters to see how rare they are and how much they're worth, and he replied,

'This is one of the most reproduced Led Zeppelin items ever put into circulation; there are hardly any real, genuine, original Tour Over Europe posters…the band just didnt need them to promote their shows, there were only a very limited number produced, and only a small number of them have survived.'

'Just for reference, there were NUMEROUS different sizes AND varying shades of red/maroon on the thousands of reproductions that were circulated in the 80s and 90s out of the UK, and tons made it over here to the States. I probably sold 1,000 of them in the 1990s in the $5 to $10 range and had a wide variety of these posters go through my hands. Originals…Ive owned seven of them in the past 30 years.'

Apparantly the 'real' ones can be indentified by the way the Swansong logo is printed in the bottom corner. I'm sure a lot of people have paid huge sums of money for them on e-bay when they were counterfeit.

jsj you should email him a picture of your badge and he'll be able to tell you if it's genuine or not, and how much it's worth. He's a really nice guy, and happy to help. B)

• 2 years later...

I had an original given to me by a friend who was stationed in Germany at the time (Army). This guy was a serious fanatic and saw them on four of the dates, three in Germany and the Zurich show. Unfortunately my medium sized collection of original Zep memorabilia ( including my prized original Earls Court and original Chicago 77') were sold by my lovely brother whom I had entrusted my collection to for safe keeping while away at university. What a guy, I forgave him though since he was in the midst of an addiction at the time and he was my brother. The real funny part is I miss the six awesome black light Zep posters ( none original, that is if there ever were "original" band released black light posters) more than anything. I have tried to find reproductions of those but no luck. They were just so damn trippy and witchy...ahh, what memories :wizard:

Can anyone one out there that can advise the correct sizing of the Zeppelin Over Europe poster ?

Or point me to somewhere that can advise.

The one I've picked certainly looks real and certainly looks old enough but I need to be sure before its framed.

Many thanks

Can anyone one out there that can advise the correct sizing of the Zeppelin Over Europe poster ?

Or point me to somewhere that can advise.

The one I've picked certainly looks real and certainly looks old enough but I need to be sure before its framed.

Many thanks

I'm away from home but will be able to look tomorrow if you can wait?

I dont want to rain on any parades, but Like Rick B said above in his answer to the question via email, 99.9999999 % of the people who think that they have a real one dont. I have collected Zeppelin concert posters for over 20 years adn only ever scored one. I have had literally dozens of fakes though. Some of the repros are VERY good, same size etc.

Knebby, where did you get yours? I am anxious to see what size they are. I know the originals' size and a few other qualifying marks. I am not saying yours are npt real, but I would be very surprised.

This poster and Earls Court posters are the most bootleged posters of any Zep shows ever, by a huge margin. I would be very very surprised if anyone here had a real one, at all.

Knebby, where did you get yours? I am anxious to see what size they are. I know the originals' size and a few other qualifying marks. I am not saying yours are npt real, but I would be very surprised.

No worries - mine were a gift from Dave Lewis when he came back from the tour - I'd be surprised if they weren't real but not upset :)

That's fine, many thanks.

I understand there are many fakes however this one certainly does looks its age hence why I'm keen to check if its original.

I'm away from home but will be able to look tomorrow if you can wait?

Ok found one of the ones I have - it measures 44 cm by about 63 cm. I always assumed they were official posters, they are good quality and all, but I guess Dave could have bought a few from outside venues etc if they were cheaper. Either way they were bought during that tour so they are pretty cool and collectable in my book :)

Ok found one of the ones I have - it measures 44 cm by about 63 cm. I always assumed they were official posters, they are good quality and all, but I guess Dave could have bought a few from outside venues etc if they were cheaper. Either way they were bought during that tour so they are pretty cool and collectable in my book :)

this is too small to be a real one though I am sure it is just as cool visually.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for looking. The one i bought is about a third bigger again than this.

Ive had it looked at by a framer who frames a lot of Vintage concert posters his opinion was that he felt it was real.

He thought that there were some pretty good telltale signs in the printing process that made it an old print rather than a recent reprint.

The paper he felt was also correct for 1980. Im fairly confident its the real deal.

The paper he felt was also correct for 1980.

I'm hoping you don't mean that literally. Regardless, counterfeiting and reproductions have resulted in a plethora of prints virtually indistinguishable from the originals. Frankly, I won't buy a vintage Led Zeppelin poster of any sort without a convincing and wholly substantiated Letter of Provenance.

• 5 months later...

I have a copy of the Tour Over Europe poster that I bought in about 1983 at used music store. I was going to get it framed, but I suspect it is probably a fake. Before I spend the big bucks to frame a fake, is there someone who is a poster expert here who can help me make the determination between fake and real? I can post dimensions and photos. The help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Added some photos:

The poster measures approximately 171/4 " X 241/2 "

Purchased as original 30 years ago. I paid about $20 for it then.

The graphics and colors are crisp, bright and convincing.

036b_zps0bf70950.jpg

035b_zps28500bae.jpg

Archived