Where Do You Get Your Political News?

Starbreaker

In terms of speed and difficulty of the music, Megadeth is better than Metallica. But I have to respectfully disagree that Megadeth overall is a better band (for the record I'm a huge fan of both bands), but this is a matter of personal opinion and I respect your opinions.

However, the reason Metallica went off the deep end in the 90's wasn't because they ran out of material from Dave (that ended in with Ride the Lightning, and even then the only wrote one riff in each of the songs that he got credits for on that album). It was more because of Cliff dying than anything. You had very interesting songwriting dynamic going on there in early Metallica with Cliff and Kirk having extensive music theory knowledge, while James and Lars were the primary songwriters. When Jason came into the picture, Metallica wasn't the same. Jason really didn't contribute that much to the band (he only has 3 songwriting credits, which is less even than Dave), and really was sort of the "odd man out" in the band, whereas Cliff was the oldest member of the band in terms of age, and kept the rest of the band grounded. Had Cliff lived, Metallica wouldn't have gone in the direction that they went after the Black Album. James himself said in a 2009 issue of Metal Hammer that Cliff most definately would have fought to keep the band from moving in the direction they ended up going on Load and Reload.

But anyway I digress. Maybe I should make a Megadeth vs. Metallica thread as well. Anyone think this is a good idea?

LOL, you think the current administration is communist. LOL. What next, Obama was really born in Kenya?

What level of education do you have? Have you studied political science or economics? That is a good place to begin with understanding of my statement.

ame='Tripmender' date='18 July 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1279487319' post='469780']

But anyway I digress. Maybe I should make a Megadeth vs. Metallica thread as well. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Yeah, why not. We can't carry this on here, that's for sure.

What level of education do you have? Have you studied political science or economics? That is a good place to begin with understanding of my statement.

I don't mean to sound mean Tejanablonde, but did you not read my reply to your and Electrophile's posts on page 1? I'm perfectly fine with people going off-topic but I'd rather not have this thread get locked on account that a nasty politcal debate ensues. If you guys really want to argue please either make your own thread or message each other through this site or talk over some form of instant messenging system (Facebook, Windows Live, etc.). Thank you.

I studied economics at the LSE. Look it up if you haven't heard of it. And I can reveal that Obama is not a commie. He's just a tokenist thug.

to be fair, one needs to listen or read more than one source.

NPR is usually on my radio for the morning commute. after that

i listen to a station called The Ticket, which is a sports station, but

they also touch on a variety of subjects political as well. that's probably

the reason i like them, they aren't as biased as the so called news info stations are.

don't really read too much print media stuff anymore. that's funny as i worked for Gannett for nearly 20 years before they eliminated my job. Oh, and it wasn't during Obama's administration, btw. it was long before he was even on the national radar screen.

Bachelor's Degree in Marketing.

Yes and Yes.

You still make no sense. Now I will honor what Starbreaker said and not discuss this further. You wish to continue being insulting, you can do so via PM. Thank you.

It was just the spin cycle news sources you mentioned. I really wasn't using it as a segue. I didn't need an excuse.

The question was asked: "Where do you get your political news?" Just because I don't rely on mainstream disinfotaiment outlets doesn't mean I have to remain silent, or does it?

ah, okay... it's quite alright if you disdain some of the news sources I use... (and I can extrapolate the rest from that).

I agree that a lot of the "news" is more 'infotainment' than actual "hard news" and I also don't doubt that some of it is 'dis-infotainment' whether or not it is deliberately so. However, I don't think everything is,was, and always will be nothing but conspiracy theories. I also think if people only get their news (political and non-political) from one type of source or one set of viewpoints, then they really shortchange themselves in terms of information and they can get some really skewed views of things. BIGDAN's thread on whether or not Christians were being persecuted in Michigan is an excellent example of that. If I got all my news from extreme right-wing fundamentalist Christian sources, my understanding and viewpoints would probably be quite a bit different than if I relied on only extreme left-wing atheist sources.

I also don't entirely discount 'conspiracy theory sites' either. I've learned some interesting things from them, and they have at times provided a good starting point for looking into something to learn more about it. OTOH, I would be pretty leery of someone who relied only on conspiracy theory websites for their "news". I daresay there's probably a wee tad of 'disinfotainment' in some of those as well.

All in all, I think it's probably more important for folks to use their brains regarding whatever news they get than where they get their news. But, it takes some effort and it takes time... things that some folks can't or won't always do.

Finally, no of course you don't have to remain silent just because you listed some conspiracy theory websites as your source(s) of political news. That wasn't my little squawklet... I was squawking about you posting an article about a news subject, which was not what the thread-starter was asking. In fact, he/she specifically requested folks not debate stuff. Furthermore, the article you posted was related to a couple things you were posting in your conspiracy thread... you know, that semi-hijacking that can occur when someone posts about one particular thing in multiple threads, even when it isn't pertinent.

Edit to add: It wasn't I who first mentioned ATS in this thread.

Correct, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. (See the long-winded bit I just wrote).

~~~~~~~~~

... and this will probably be my last post on the matter because I know how these things usually go... so I'll opt out of that before I have to resort to pulling out my hair. B)

I also don't entirely discount 'conspiracy theory sites' either. I've learned some interesting things from them, and they have at times provided a good starting point for looking into something to learn more about it. OTOH, I would be pretty leery of someone who relied only on conspiracy theory websites for their "news". I daresay there's probably a wee tad of 'disinfotainment' in some of those as well.

The excerpt I posted from the article was simply to give a sampling. I was trying to show how extreme the disconnect between MSM news and reality is. I'm quite stunned that Bloomberg even bothered to report that "Wachovia admitted it didn’t do enough to spot illicit funds in handling $378.4 billion for Mexican-currency-exchange houses from 2004 to 2007."

Yes boys and girls, that's a $378,400,000,000 crime. And you heard about this, right? Now, giving credit where credit is due: Hopsicker actually found documentary proof that the plane in question was not owned by Mexican drug lords at the time of it's seizure - as Bloomberg reported. And never mind the connections to "terrorist flight school" Huffman Aviation, and a lifelong friend and business associate of George W. Bush...

The whole point in posting the "Conspiracy Theory Alert" image was to mock the label.

conspiracy.gif

So the plane just happened to be painted up to look like it was DHS, and the logo on the side just happened to represent a company with verifiable ownership/management including a DHS contractor, an Israeli intelligence insider, and a lifelong friend and business associate of the sitting President at the time it was seized with 5.5 tons of cocaine on board. The presence of the cocaine was, no doubt, accidental and purely coincidence.

No, Lake, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. My point is that MSM news sources aren't. They are not reporting on what matters. The above are verifiable facts. I checked them out myself using such sources as SEC filings, NTSB records, etc.

Oh, and try finding something in the Washington Post or the New York Times about the 1200+ licensed and credentialed architects and engineers who are calling for a real investigation into the controlled demolition of the WTC. I know, it's just a "conspiracy theory", unlike the yarn about the Hindu Kush Caveman and his band of Islamakazi terrorists.

The significance of the topics I am raising here is huge. I'm not mentioning them for their own merit in this context. I'm talking about them to show how corrupt and malfeasant the controlled corporate media are in the US.

No, Lake, I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

Hi Atlas,

Well you're doing a Mighty good job at it if you're not trying, i would hate to see you when you're gander is up. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Now what was that confounded question? :lol:

Hi Atlas,

Well you're doing a Mighty good job at it if you're not trying, i would hate to see you when you're gander is up. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Now what was that confounded question? :lol:

The question is "Where do you get your political news?". In answering the question I decided to add an explanation using specific examples to make my point. It just so happened that I found the story about Wachovia's laundering $378,400,000,000 while preparing my response to said question.

Now, I ask again, is this this noteworthy current event discussed in the MSM news serviced named in this thread? That is a legitimate question in this context.

BTW, don't assume I'm being testy just because what I post is shocking. I'm just stating the facts and pointing out the absurdities. The rest falls to the reader.

The question is "Where do you get your political news?". In answering the question I decided to add an explanation using specific examples to make my point. It just so happened that I found the story about Wachovia's laundering $378,400,000,000 while preparing my response to said question.

It's those damned 'added explanations' that tend to often muddy your point... which is why we're still wrangling with it several posts later. :lol:

Now, I ask again, is this this noteworthy current event discussed in the MSM news serviced named in this thread? That is a legitimate question in this context.

If things are as you've posted, then sure it's noteworthy and worth discussing. IMO, it could even be worth it's own thread because going any further with it here goes way beyond the point of this thread. You could even show where and what sources you used to confirm stuff and thus back up things claimed by 'conspiracy theory' sites. Just as items in the "MSM" "disinfotainment" sources ought to be verified or followed up elsewhere, so should the stuff trumpeted by the conspiracy theory sources.

BTW, don't assume I'm being testy just because what I post is shocking. I'm just stating the facts and pointing out the absurdities. The rest falls to the reader.

FWIW, I don't think you're being testy... I've seen, read, and replied to too many of your posts over the years to simply assume you're being testy. For me, trying to discuss things with you often gets maddeningly aggravating for other reasons. :P

It's those damned 'added explanations' that tend to often muddy your point... which is why we're still wrangling with it several posts later. :lol:

Now, if I had said I watch the news channel where Angie Goff does the traffic because I think she's hot, no one would be complaining. Even though that would be a lame reason for picking a news channel. And, yes, if I were watching TV news, I would watch the one with Angie Goff, because she's hot.

If things are as you've posted, then sure it's noteworthy and worth discussing. IMO, it could even be worth it's own thread because going any further with it here goes way beyond the point of this thread. You could even show where and what sources you used to confirm stuff and thus back up things claimed by 'conspiracy theory' sites. Just as items in the "MSM" "disinfotainment" sources ought to be verified or followed up elsewhere, so should the stuff trumpeted by the conspiracy theory sources.

For example: the MSM articles I have seen on this subject say, or at least imply strongly, that N900SA was owned by Mexican drug cartels when it was seized on 04/10/2006 with 5.5 tons of cocaine on board. According to FAA records, the plane was registered to an American company until 04/13/2006. It was not exported to Mexico, it was exported to Venezuela.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-07/wachovia-s-drug-habit.html

Just before sunset on April 10, 2006, a DC-9 jet landed at the international airport in the port city of Ciudad del Carmen,

The smugglers had bought the DC-9 with laundered funds they transferred through two of the biggest banks in the U.S.: Wachovia Corp. and Bank of America Corp., Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its August 2010 issue.

This was no isolated incident. Wachovia, it turns out, had made a habit of helping move money for Mexican drug smugglers. Wells Fargo & Co., which bought Wachovia in 2008, has admitted in court that its unit failed to monitor and report suspected money laundering by narcotics traffickers -- including the cash used to buy four planes that shipped a total of 22 tons of cocaine.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N900SA

Deregistered Aircraft 1 of 3

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 	45775 	Type Registration 	Corporation

Manufacturer Name 	DOUGLAS 	Certificate Issue Date 	08/05/2005

Model 	DC9-15 	Mode S Code 	53070275

Year Manufacturer 	1966 	Cancel Date 	04/13/2006

Reason for Cancellation 	Exported 	Export To 	VENEZUELA

Aircraft Registration prior to Deregistration

Name 	ROYAL SONS INC

Street 	15875 FAIRCHILD DR

City 	CLEARWATER 	State 	FLORIDA 	Zip Code 	33762-3510

County 	PINELLAS

Country 	UNITED STATES

Deregistered Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer 	P & W 	Classification 	Standard

Engine Model 	52044 	Category 	Transport

A/W Date 	12/10/1966

Now the "conspiracy theory" site says:

http://www.madcowprod.com/07152010.htm

The FAA stamp on Frederic Geffon's transfer of ownership documents to the FAA clearly show that, alas

Snapshot%5B93%5D.gif Alas for Geffon, they were received on April 11th... one full day after the Dc9, registered in Frederic Geffon's name, went down carrying 5.5 tons of cocaine. Geffon's transfer of ownership paperwork hadn't been lost in the mail, either. The papers were faxed. "

So, who bought the plane with money laundered through Wachovia, the American's who owned it at the time of seizure?

Thanks Atlas, mightily thankful, I'm still Apolitical, so i think I'll be keeping to the Tea Leaves, and i might consult the Oracle, if he'll let me. ;)

Regards, Danny

Thanks Atlas, mightily thankful, I'm still Apolitical, so i think I'll be keeping to the Tea Leaves, and i might consult the Oracle, if he'll let me. ;)

Regards, Danny

Hi Me,

Don't forget to tell em where you get your news from, i mean the "REAL NEWS", No you mean the "TRUTH NEWS"?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63706&page=2

We both know it makes sense, Kushty. ;)

Regards, Danny

Archived